SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Here is the only SCARM modeling blog post for December. It is about two nice virtual structures in N scale that you can download and use in your SCARM track plans.

Sample_Diorama_of_Cornerstone_Backshop__Scratchbuilt_Roundhouse_in_N-scale_3D-500x259.jpg

And the most recent post from the last week in the blog is showing one nice short video about the FREMO idea and the organization of modular layout meetings:

FREMO Organization And Modular Meetings Introductory Video

FREMO_video_snapshot-500x281.jpg

Hope you will like it :)

Mixy

3% of 1000mm (1 metre) is 30mm, so a 3% grade rises 30mm over a 1metre length. Over a 6.46metre length you will rise 193.8mm. Divide that by 25.4=7.62". So, over your 21' you'll rise less than 8".

Or, you do the sensible thing and you get some butcher paper and measure a large chunk like say the first meter of horizontal distance and 3 cm of rise and then above that line draw the next section from 3cm to 6cm of rise and continue until you've got the entire thing covered, then just use that as a flexible template for getting everything right.

The new SCARM v. 0.9.35 is ready and published! It comes with many new and updated track libraries, many bugfixes and more powerful Model Trains Simulator extension. See more about the new version here:

SCARM Track Planning Software 0.9.35 Released

SCARM_0_9_35_Updated-sm.jpg

Together with the new release, a new part of the website is also launched - it is a database with Virtual Rolling Stock for use in the MTS PE extension.

SCARM_Train_Simulator_Rolling_Stock-355x300.jpg

Hope you will like all new stuff about SCARM ;)

Mixy

IMPORTANT!

A bug was reported and confirmed in the last version of SCARM that may prevent starting of the program on some computers. The patched version of the program was released today. Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.36, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix the issue.

See more about this bug-fix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.36 Released.

I am sorry if the bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

Nice work.

It looks like the tunnels have walls as if they are "tubes" through the terrain.

Is that what I am seeing?

Frederick

Yes. These "walls" are added in the tunnels for more realistic experience, but they can be switched off together with the terrain mesh object in case that you need to see thru the tunnel.

Mixy

Very cool Mixy!

You continue to impress me with the amount of time and energy that you put into your software.

The driver viewing mode will be a great feature.

I'm getting ready to start building a dbl-deck, around-the-wall, with peninsula HO layout in its own dedicated 12x16 foot 'train shed' . I have several previously published layout ideas that come close to what I'm looking for, but I am sure that both designs require some 'tweaking' to get them into a size that will fit my space, and hopefully fulfill my dreams.

I'm sure someone with computer track planing skills can help me immensely. At the moment I am not that interested in studying the methods to make use of those computer track planning programs, but hope to have someone(s) help me along with that portion of the job. I promise it will be a very interesting layout plan I have in my head.

So I see you have two fairly long subject threads discussing your planning program.
Why 2 subject threads?
Which one should I be most interested in reading thru and posting to??

PS: BTW I have corresponded with the owners/publishers of those track plans, and have received their permission to post them on the web in pursuit of designing my own plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I see you have two fairly long subject threads discussing your planning program.
Why 2 subject threads?

In this topic, I am presenting SCARM by giving info about the program, the updates and the new features. In the other topic, I am showing track plans and layout designs - what the program is capable to do and what others are doing with it.

Which one should I be most interested in reading thru and posting to??

It is up to you :)

Mixy

See the only SCARM blog post for May:

International Danube Modular Layout Meeting - Russe 2017

P1030392-449x300.jpg

The event hosted layouts in HO, TT and N scales and was carried out by more than 40 participants from several countries. Here is the layout scheme:

HO-TT-plans-288x300.jpg

I also attended and even drove several trains :) See the pictures that I shot in the blog post's gallery.

Last but not least, I should mention that one of the train stations and several other single modules are entirely designed in SCARM ;)

Mixy

The brand new SCARM version is ready and published. Read more about it here:

SCARM v. 1.0 Milestone Released

That Milestone version starts a new epoch in the developing of SCARM. Get ready for many new functions and features that will come with the next updates and the future SCARM extensions!

Mixy

Here is something interesting an really useful for SCARM beginners - a series of video tutorials, created and narrated by Ruud Boer. The first video is available here:

SCARM Video Tutorials – Part 1 – Create a Model Railway Layout

The second and each next tutorial are available from the links in the bottom of each blog post. Enjoy!

Mixy
I just spent a couple of hours reading thru this subject thread from its beginning, and now I have arrived at this video presentation. I'll take a break and resume my studies of this design software later today. I'm trying to bolster my mind into learning to use a computer to design a layout. I have to admit to being 'old school' (75 years) in my thinking of learning a new 'digital program' rather than old fashion scale drawing to accomplish such a task.

But I must say the many postings on this discussion have almost been universally in praise of its usefulness, and ease of use. I think I need to learn this.
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Back