SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Thank you, Howie :)

It is not possible to enter custom texts in SCARM at the moment, but I am working over this and text feature will appear in some of the next versions of the program :)

Mixy

Just encountered a problem for you to look at in the next update. I'm using 0.9.4 Beta. I'm working on track heights, and I can't lower a track lower than base board height. I have an incline rising and want to pass another track below it. Because of the size and space on the layout, the rising track can't gain enough height before they cross, but I could lower the other track into a small cutting; except I can't!

Can this be amended so that the track can be lowered?

A fix for this would be to raise your entire track a bit, then low the parts you want lowered. Annoying to do to start with, but it'll get the desired result at least. :)

TrinityJayOne is giving the right solution. SCARM assumes that baseboard is solid surface and negative heights are not allowed. If you want some tracks to go under base level, then you must set the base level of your track route to be higher than zero.

Tip: You can "lift" the tracks at desired level by adjusting some height in the selection and then press Enter – all tracks from the selection will receive the selected height value.

Mixy

I know that was one option, but it would then mean that any roads, buildings and any further track modifications would then also have to be raised to match. It would make life easier if track heights could go negative.

It's not a major problem, as a 2D plan doesn't need bridge clearance, as if I actually build the layout, the baseboard can be cut to lower the track, but it would make the design stage more simple if it were possible.

I am just getting back into the hobby, having gained the use of a basement bedroom back. Because I use SolidWorks at work, I am using it to design my layout. But after running across this thread in the forum, I thought it wouldn't hurt to download the program and try it out. I am glad I did! I found it to be very easy to use, and with the new figures addition you can create just about anything. I made my MiJack container crane and some containers to see how they would fit.

While I am still going to use SolidWorks to model the layout and benchwork, The design that I created with SCARM has given me a much better idea on how the landscape will look and also showed me some areas I needed to modify. The design is still evolving, but I have attached a few images of what I have to date.

I just wanted to say thanks to Mixy for creating a very useful tool for the majority of model railroaders and offering it for FREE!

preview_cmmr4.jpg

preview_cmmr2.jpg

preview_cmmr4-1.jpg

Hi Gary,

Very good looking layout :) The terraced hills and container terminal are very impressive :)

I am continuing my work over SCARM and hope that new update will be ready and released soon ;)

Mixy

Is there a way to save a created object into a library ( such as a warehouse, station building etc ), so that that item can be used in another layout design?

At present, I'm copying a whole layout .scarm file to save a particular item, then opening the copy and deleting everything except the item I want to use on the next layout.

It would be useful to be able to save a polygon or grouped polygons to be re-useable in future designs.

Is there a way to save a created object into a library ( such as a warehouse, station building etc ), so that that item can be used in another layout design?

Not yet, but it is planned feature and I hope that it will appear in some of the next versions of SCARM.

Another user was told me, that he has a dedicated .scarm file where he places and saves all user-defined objects for future use. He is using this file like a warehouse - not very convenient, but it is some workaround solution for the moment.

Mixy

Something else that would be useful is to be able to create circles or segments of circles in the 'Objects' menu, so things like grain silos etc., could be modelled.

I'm sure we can keep you happily programming until you retire, but thanks for your work so far, it's a great tool.

Something else that would be useful is to be able to create circles or segments of circles in the 'Objects' menu, so things like grain silos etc., could be modelled.

Oval objects (like cylinders, spheres, cones, etc.) are little more complicated, but I will try to implement them in some of the next versions of SCARM :)

Happy new year!

;)

Mixy

Something I've noticed with the latest version ( 0.9.8 Beta ) is that the space bar no longer repeats the last selected piece of track. I found this useful. Has it vanished by accident?

Found a small bug for you, although I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix! When you select a section of track and right click -> "length of selected track", any turnouts are seemingly being measured twice. For example, I can select just the N scale Peco turnout SL-395 and it tells me the selected section is 23.5cm. I have this particular piece of track in front of me right now and it is definitely not that long, only about half that! SCARM is obviously measuring both the straight & diverging routes together. It leads to some interesting results when you try to measure a section of track passing through a yard (that's how I found it).

Still loving your program just by the way! The ultimate feature would be a way to convert a SCARM layout to a file that Trainz 2012 can open so I can actually drive it, but that might be asking a bit too much. ;)

Found a small bug for you, although I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix! When you select a section of track and right click -> "length of selected track", any turnouts are seemingly being measured twice. For example, I can select just the N scale Peco turnout SL-395 and it tells me the selected section is 23.5cm. I have this particular piece of track in front of me right now and it is definitely not that long, only about half that! SCARM is obviously measuring both the straight & diverging routes together. It leads to some interesting results when you try to measure a section of track passing through a yard (that's how I found it).

It seems like a bug, but it’s not :)

When Path Length function is used for complex tracks (like different kinds of turnouts), it returns the full length of all consisting tracks inside, i.e. for straight turnout, it will return the total length of straight and branch parts. If you want to check the length of the particular section in the yard, which contains some turnouts, use Measuring Tape instead. Or make a temporary route with flex-tracks and see its length.

Still loving your program just by the way! The ultimate feature would be a way to convert a SCARM layout to a file that Trainz 2012 can open so I can actually drive it, but that might be asking a bit too much. ;)

It is possible, but not soon - may be in the future ;)

Mixy

Just want to say thank you for all the hard work you put into this and making it availabe for FREE.

Easiest program I've tried so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but in the future, it is possible to be added support for Brio and other toy track systems.

Mixy

Back