ScaleTrains SD40-2 consisting

Just wondering if anyone has any helpful information regarding the New ScaleTrains SD40-2's. I have a couple that I want to consist together and I'm just wondering if these ESU decoders are similar to the ones in the Intermountain locos in terms of the CV's, etc? Thanks!

I don't own any ScaleTrains units but I'm interested. Their most likely 100% the same. Even if their not I would assume that as far as the consisting CV values they would be the same. I like the fact that the Scale Trains LokSound decoders have a built in Current Keeper. I have 3 Athrean LokSound units in a consist. If you need the CV values I'll look up the CV values for the horn, bell, lights etc. Foe example you don't want the horn blowing on all units.
George

One of the newer Guys at the club has just bought a goodly number of these in their Rivet Counter line, very nice. He's also very new to DCC, so probably would also like the info, although he was running them that way, using NCE's Advanced Consisting. Where things can sometimes get a bit fouled up, is if the manufacturer of the loco's has had some custom settings designed into the decoders they factory fit. Usually functions they have left out, to reduce what they pay for them. Scale Trains, being what they seem to be, might do this, as they offer 3 or maybe 4 different levels of detail. These days it pays to get the ESU manual downloaded to refer to.

With the exception of the lowest, cheapest models(LOKPilot Standard comes to mind), all the ESU decoders can map any function to any function key, so the operation of the decoder can be anything the OEM wants.

Having said that, MOST of the OEMs tend to be consistent with each other for the 'major' functions like lights and bell and horn, but anything is possible. Programming the ESU V4 comatible decoders(and Select model) is complex, but the latest JMRI does it well. The LOKProgrammer is nice to have, but at the level of changing what each function key does, it's not required.

Thanks crusader. Pretty sure the basic ones as you've said are NMRA compliant, it's the ones that are not, such as ditch, number board if lit, and individual sounds. My Athearns with Tsunami use f5 to turn ditch lights on/off, Intermountain with ESU f7 and Kato likewise f6. All can be remapped, but what a pain. Then there's the startup of the sounds. Some have to be turned on, some come on as soon as put on a powered track. Once again they can all be reset, but why. If there can be a standard for the basic functions, why not for the others. Can't these model makers get together and agree to a standard, it's nuts.

Most manufacturers play the 'not invented here' game, and their way is always the best...:cool:

Having said that, JMRI lets you put labels for the functiuon keys for all locos, so it's not that confusing, even when running it with a smart phone.

Most manufacturers play the 'not invented here' game, and their way is always the best...:cool:

Having said that, JMRI lets you put labels for the functiuon keys for all locos, so it's not that confusing, even when running it with a smart phone.

If I say anything else remotely anti DCC, Chet will tell me, that's why he sticks with DC (again)

Back