Scale Trains HO 54615 Non sound decoder trouble

Just seeing if anyone out here has had some experience installing/programming the recommended esu decoder in a HO scale trains SD40-2? The tech guy at Scale Trains told me the recommended decoder was the esu 54615. I have been able to program an address and consist address and I can get the headlights to come on but no luck getting the beacon or # lights to work. Just want to know what needs done to make the functions work. Thanks!

Did the tech guy at Scale Trains tell you the lights would only work with Loksound V4 and V5 sound decoders, and the dip switches had to be turned on for that to happen?

Last edited:
Looking up the specs for that silent decoder shows the decoder has 4 outputs with an additional 2 "logic" outputs with the 21MTC connector version. Just what that "logic" refers to, can't say, but it doesn't say lighting outputs.
Function outputs: 4 outputs

21MTC connector version has two additional logic outputs

250mA load per output

500mA total load of all function outputs short-circuit-proof

Free function allocation (function mapping)

As Terry has "hinted", Scale trains has been not very forthcoming with information regarding the limitations of the Motherboard that is fitted in the DCC ready models they are making. The truth is, it is only functions fully with either the V4 or the new Locksound 5 versions. The "5", is the replacement for the now discontinued, US Loksound Select decoders. Considering that the DCC ready models don't have speakers factory installed either, what is the point of making motherboards capable of only functioning fully with sound equipped decoders. Even putting in a different brand of decoder, or the Lok Select (if you happened to have one) will you get all of the functions that decoder is capable of.

Did the tech guy at Scale Trains tell you the lights would only work with Loksound V4 and V5 sound decoders, and the dip switches had to be turned on for that to happen?
No mention was made that I needed a sound decoder but I wouldn’t be surprised. Are you telling me I’m screwed because I wouldn’t be surprised if I am!!?

No mention was made that I needed a sound decoder but I wouldn’t be surprised. Are you telling me I’m screwed because I wouldn’t be surprised if I am!!?
You can check with the Scale Trains people, but the last time I talked to them, they told me only the V4 and V5 decoders had enough function outputs to operate all the accessories.

You can check with the Scale Trains people, but the last time I talked to them, they told me only the V4 and V5 decoders had enough function outputs to operate all the accessories.
Well I’m thinking the guy I’ve been speaking to there is not giving me the correct info

Okay, I just looked up both the Loksound V4 and Lokpilot V4, and both have 4 function outputs. IF THEY ARE WIRED THE SAME, you should be able to power the outputs the same as the sound models. Though I remember there is a difference on the locomotive motherboard that may prevent it.

Did they actually say V5, or just 5?

They are exactly the same thing, and the names have been used interchangeably.
You'll have to excuse me if it annoys me when things, especially technical items, are referred to incorrectly. If i do it, I'm always grateful to be corrected. It comes from my manufacturing background where such inaccuracies can be costly, not to me so much in monetary terms, but in the wasted time and then the added wasted effort I was put to when those who should know better, and were supplying that bad info, caused such inconvenience to me. There are many, who had they been nearby, would have had 3rd degree burns to their ears.

I see this instance as the fault of ESU in making a new product for one market and giving it a name that follows in sequence from a product for another market, and abandoning the name already familiar to the first market's users.

Back