"Scale Tinplate" Christmas

As can be seen from the helicopter view of the farm (post #17), Bossy doesn't spend all her time stampeding into Happy Cow Acres (aka: "Bossy's Farm". See thead: "Tinplate or Hi-rail? Yes!".) She can also be found hindering traffic on the Mountain Division. Here she is at twilight, apparently drawn to the smell of pine needles wafting from Bill's Christmas Trees...

Attachments

• 5002BssyStop2.JPG
    5002BssyStop2.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
After shooing Bossy out of the way, we cross Smitty Avenue.

Lotsa traffic on this moonlit evening. Christmas shoppers are out earlier than ever...

Attachments

• 4999Downtown1a.JPG
    4999Downtown1a.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 244
The East Side of town...

Attachments

• 3949Nitetime2.jpg
    3949Nitetime2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 261
These are great photos Chuck, I sure like the VW beetle in the above photo.

Cheers Willis

Another angle down Gilbert Blvd...

Though it's after dark, the moon is so bright the tail end of an SP freight still radiates bright Southern Pacific orange as it leaves the north crossing. The AF caboose at the far right has had its cupola relocated toward one end, and several other mods. It's actually a collection of parts from at least four cabeese.

Attachments

• 3952CORDRG2b.JPG
    3952CORDRG2b.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 251
From the residential district...

Not much traffic here. A nice, quiet neighborhood.

Attachments

• 3947Houses1.jpg
    3947Houses1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 255
A bit farther down the street...

No "moonlight" over the church, just the soft glow of electric lights.

Attachments

• 2900CHURCH1b.jpg
    2900CHURCH1b.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 245
Around the corner into the industrial district...

A fairly recent pic of the station, from a few years ago. Though still needing some improvements, this area has already gone through major changes since the layout was first built. A Christmas tree lot once occupied the area covered by the near station platform, and the station foundation was once corrugated cardboard. It's due for some additions, such as safety railing on the platform, lighting, a shelter of some kind...lessee, what else could we get sued for not having...

Attachments

• 3656NewStaPlat1.JPG
    3656NewStaPlat1.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 341
Chuck, there are still a few "adjustments" needed as a result of the move to the new server. A few posts fell through the cracks between Thursday evening and the time the new server kicked in. I hope you'll re-post the ones that got missed. Pleeeeeeze???

The server was changed AGAIN?!?

But, how could that be the problem, when the posts were posted after Thursday, and had already been seen? I know they were there, I saw 'em!

No, really, I did.

Oh well, here's the only pic that was lost. (I think.) Lessee, we were talking about celebs from Sodor, Bertie the Bus having to drive on the "wrong" side of the street, Terence the Tractor on his own flatcar...

Attachments

• TERENCE1c.jpg
    TERENCE1c.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 237
Guy64 said:
The server was changed AGAIN?!?

But, how could that be the problem, when the posts were posted after Thursday, and had already been seen? I know they were there, I saw 'em!

No, really, I did.
The "copy" of the old server that was moved to the new server was taken Thursday evening, so anything posted between Thursday evening and the time the switch was made to the new server was lost. Bob gave a heads up about this on Thursday on the RRForums side.

I see. I was away for most of the week. Didn't see the update.

Well, at least it wasn't some unseen force conspiring against two-rail tinplate.

Here's another that got lost.

Wonder if now we'll see any Sears/Kmart rolling stock appearing...

Attachments

• 3702SrsBox.JPG
    3702SrsBox.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 242
A significant percentage of C+D rolling stock consists of restored items and collections of spare parts. This refrigerator car was acquired for its link-coupler trucks. The body shell was junk, having been slathered over with a thick coat of dull, pea-green paint. It also had a large crack in one side. But since the walkway ends were intact (a rare thing with such abused cars) I hesitated discarding it. After removing the paint with oven cleaner, it became apparent that a repair of the crack was possible, and I decided to try a hirail conversion on the piece with an Ace boxcar floor and AM trucks.

The Haven Seed Company was a real entity. It belonged to my wife's family, and closed down during the 1950s. Their specialty was "hybridized" tomato seed. No rolling stock was ever decorated for the company, but if it had been, it might have looked like this...

Attachments

• HavSeed1b.jpg
    HavSeed1b.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 254
A yardman has ventured from his nice, warm shack to signal the engineer backing a 716 hopper up to the dump bin. (M&Ms must be handled very delicately!)

This Erector building was a crumpled wad of sheet metal when it was given to us. After pressing the pieces between wood blocks to flatten them out, it was possible to reassemble them. The lithography is still intact. Amazing how durable that old ink is. The foundation is made from popsicle sticks and miscellaneous lumber.

This pic is from 1990 or thereabouts. Currently the roof and deck are covered with snow.

Attachments

• ERECTORSHAK1b.JPG
    ERECTORSHAK1b.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 243
Great job on the yardmans hut, would never know it had been demolished, nice photo could have been nicer if you had of painted that curtain black :D
Cheers Willis

CB&CNSfan said:
photo could have been nicer if you had of painted that curtain black :D
Cheers Willis
Well, there's a limit to what the landlady would put up with. Black curtains woulda been pushing it. However, there's always the digi-methodology. Howzzis?

Attachments

• ERECTORSHAK1c.JPG
    ERECTORSHAK1c.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 249
Sometime in the late 1980s I latched onto a single-piece metal shell from a Flyer 300 Atlantic, which afforded me enough spare parts to build a complete locomotive. The shell had no headlight lens, so I attempted to install a repro, which didn't fit the same way as the original. While carving a recessed groove into the front of the headlight housing (to fit the new lens), the drill bit caught and bit deep into the casting. Though repairable, the shell would need repainting. "Does the world really need another BLACK Atlantic?" I wondered. I decided it would be more interesting to paint the loco after a British passenger engine shown on a tea tin we had. (We're tea drinkers. Can't stand coffee.)

The result is shown below. A silver boiler front Americanized the livery.

She was christened "Lady Di", after my wife (not the late Princess of Wales).

Attachments

• LADYDI88b.jpg
    LADYDI88b.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 240

Back