Sawmill: Enclosed building or loading shed to the side?

Which plan to use?

• Enclosed building

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Side loading shed

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I was making an illustration board mockup of my sawmill last night and a thought occurred to me. I was originally planning to have a covered loading shed extending from a larger structure which was cut off by the aisle, perhaps with a detailed interior. I never did finish mocking it up, because I thought of another idea - what about a loading dock to the side?

Here's the mill at Slocan City, near where I'm modeling.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2976853...n/photostream/
The structure I'm thinking of is beside the centrebeams, and I could model it and a reasonable interpretation of the building beside it by shortening some of my tracks. This gives the advantage of not having to worry about spotting hidden cars.

Attached are the two plans, as well as a photo of the spot on my model with as far as I got in the mockup.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Outside. By enclosing it, you might as well just have a box with a track running through it. Much more interesting if it's opened up.

I have to agree with the outside loading for the same reasons.
anyone notice that car float in the photo?
I believe it was the Slocan mill that was serviced by the rail ferry?
(did that even come out right?) :)

If you go to Railpictures.net and scroll down to the "photo search engine" try these searchwords: Nakusp, Slocan, Rosebery.
You'll get a few good carfloat shots.
If you find anything else let us know, K?

Hey Matt, is that the Triangle Pacific mill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're curious about the operation...
Slocan City is at the southern end of Slocan Lake and the northern end of the Slocan subdivision. The Slocan subdivision connected to the CP southern mainline (Boundary sub) at South Slocan, some 30 miles down the Slocan river. Along Slocan Lake the bluffs were too rugged to build around (and too expensive to build through) so they had barge and steamer service up to Rosebery, near the north end of the lake. A train consisting of a locomotive, caboose, and about 8 cars could fit on the barge, which then traveled from Rosebery onward to Nakusp on the next lake over.

Back in the day all the lakes were riddled with barge and steamship operations, some of which lasted until 1956! This particular barge was the last in service, lasting until January 1988.

Hey Matt, is that the Triangle Pacific mill?
I believe so? The name sounds familiar!

Yikes, has it really been a week and a half since I started this thread? Where did the time go!
Anyway, during this week surprisingly lacking of progress, I ended up moving and shortening all the tracks. This is to allow a loading dock behind the tracks, as it would be more interesting than one blocking them. I had a nearly perfectly shaped piece of foamcore to simulate a door height loading dock - Should I keep that, or just have a ground level covered area?

I like that. I think that will look awesome once you add all the features and forklifts. Its always better seeing what goes on then having it covered and trying to guess

I voted for the outside loading operation as well. I like the idea of having more details in an open area, it will make your sawmill stand out that much more!

I also like your loading dock mock-up, a door level dock does look good and makes more sense for loading boxcars with lumber products. I say set it in place, get a covered platform structure, some lumber and some forlifts, and bring that scene to life :D

Back