Safety First

LOL! Git er DONE! Awesome countryside! That loader at about the ten minute mark looked like the guy was "Master locked" IN!

A HARD working bunch, those MEN look like they EARN it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool seeing railroading as it was a 100 years ago here. Never thought about the cables keeping the disconnect log cars together. And the use of link and pin couplers - wow.

Quite an interesting video. It is old school, but they get the job done. It's a good thing that OSHA can't stick their nose into that operation.

Stop by any non-union construction site, watch for an hour, you will be amazed and wonder why don't more people get killed or maimed. As an independent industrial mechanic I had a front row seat to some crazy stuff.

Why don't more get injured? Some of it is experience and some just dumb luck.

When I took over as service manager at General Tire the old guys were using starting fluid (diethyl ether) and a match to inflate truck tires and gasoline to mount and dismount them.

Safety first? The other day I jabbed myself in the eye while putting on my safety glasses, how's that for irony? Lol

Anyway when I was running a small switcher at the coal plant the older guys had bypassed the dead mans switch so that the engineer could walk out to the front of the loco and pull the pin.
One time the guy doing it damn near fell,off when the loco hit a bump!
How's that for safe?
Cool video btw JD!

Back