Running trains on my NYS&W Utica branch layout

malletman

Alcohaulic
After picking up a few buildings at a show last month and doing some track plan rework to suit, I have local freight service running. Upgrade to Kato Unitrak along with much more scenery will come later this year. I waffled back and forth between a proto freelance shortline or the Susie-Q. I sold a couple of my unpainted brass diesels, so I decided to keep the one that is a factory painted one and hope to add a second one shortly. Here we catch local UT-1 with Alco C430 #3000 pulling up to the dog food plant in Sherburne, NY. While the buildings will not be exact replicas of the real ones, the scenery and such will give the "flavor" of the area when I get it done.
UT-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a new pic, this time with new Dash8-40B #4008 in the trail of C430 #3000. I have a picture of a NYSW/Sea Land stack train that got diverte up the utica branch. So I have preordered an Intermountain 5 car set of the early style stack cars that clamp the upper container. Both diesels are Overland Models brass imports, both have constant/directional lights. an OMI circuit in the Alco, and a Richmond Controls circuit in the 8-40B that also makes the beacon flash. Mike
61538994-186255205711310-8272515454895915008-n.jpg

Good looking locos Mike, you'd see them coming. I recommend the dog food plant produces only organic products. I like to look for "real life" examples of locos and trains that have run with my MRL/BNSF motive power, too.

The "yellowjackets" as NYSW power is know as, are quite eye catching to say the least. Even todays NYSW power is still the same basic paint scheme, although they do not stripe the plows anymore(I think they should, really makes them stand out) The 8-40B's were really sharp when they first arrived on the line, and that is my favorite era. No ditch lights, digital flasher beacons on the 8-40B's and GP18's. Never gotten to railfan in person, just thru videos and youtube. The Susie Q is actually my secondary focus modeling wise, my proto freelance Logansport & Eel River is my primary line. Its local to me, based on the remains of the PRR Butler branch here in Indiana. Mike

Back