IMG_9160.jpg
IMG_9161.jpg
IMG_9163.jpg
IMG_9164.jpg
IMG_9171.jpg
IMG_9173.jpg
IMG_9183.jpg
IMG_9185.jpg

Tom - Ya done good !! Thumb up.gif Those are some excellent photos. I always enjoy seeing photos of layouts. You never know when you might see something that you could incorporate into your own layout.

I never got down to the train room. Got home late from bowling league last night (we did take 4 games) and fell asleep in the recliner. Still snowing and from the last photos I saw from the road cameras of Bozeman Pass, a trip to the club in Livingston is out of the question.

Later

Just a couple of pics

Tom: Wow! That' awesome!

Cabooses? Or cabeese? I remember a thread aboot this but don’t recall what the consensus was for the correct plural version of caboose.

Try Cabin Cars, plural of Cabin Car. Like the PRR and PC called them. It's easier. :rolleyes:

Mike: When I smell sauerkraut cooking in the morning, I think of the refineries in Marcus Hook, PA! :eek:

QUOTE="santafewillie, post: 466016, member: 3237"]I really like that picture of the two structures yesterday. Brings back memories of growing up in Brooklyn, on a smaller scale though. You mentioned a sign for the cafe, I easily have over a dozen structures that I need to make signs for. Most of my layout does not have any visible utilities either even though I have a box with over a hundred utility poles waiting to be installed.[/QUOTE]

Willie: Photos = Nice work! One difference is that in Brooklyn, the walk-ups are five or six floors, in Chester, they were mostly three or four floors. What I'm trying to capture is the close proximity of factories and residences, sort of like Urban Company Houses, but not necessarily owned by the industries, within walking distance of work, school, church, stores and restaurants. Looking for suitable fire alarm boxes. Have some poles and lights somewhere.

What time period are you looking for your vehicles?

Chet: 1976 or older, I guess mostly 60s and early 70s. Those AHM plastic Chevys are actually Barettas and Corsicas, Made at Linden, NJ in the later 80s, that never caught on. However they look like Chevy Citations which were built 1979 - mid 80s, and looked like a Chevette on steroids;)

Tonight, I ran some trains, and drilled a few customer sidings. I also started another non rail served industrial building, which will go across the street from the recently completed cafe and multi family. Since a lot of rain is forecast for tomorrow, I'll spend more time in the basement.

Boris

Good morning. 33F here at 5:50am. Supposed to be crappy today. I'd rather be in bed asleep, but being the executive secretary at church, I have some meetings this morning in 40 min.

Been working on house plans and stuff.

Good Morning All. 47° and clear. Today and tomorrow are going to be beautiful days, then a chance of rain returns Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sunday Special for me this morning Flo. Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise and an extra slab of ham on the side.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's progress pictures; Sherrel, Garry, Lee, Chet, Phil, Tom, Chad, Joe.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly worked on the derelict barn.
10-27-19 001.JPG

10-27-19 002.JPG

10-27-19 003.JPG

I'm not quite happy with the barn color yet, it is supposed to represent a barn originally painted red, that most of the paint is gone and we're seeing the gray primer and the sun-bleached wood. The brown beneath the missing roof panels is due to the tree branches/sap that will be growing through there. I'll be trying some more highlights with some lighter gray and some darkened white. Interesting to see how different the roof looks from different viewing angles. The only other detailing that I did yesterday was to add some dry transfers to the outside cafe walls.

Sherrel - Hate to rub it in, but I got gas at Kroger in Denton last Thursday where regular was $2.13. A bit later I passed WalMart where it was posted at $2.08! At these prices, you might have to make a trip here for a fill-up!
Side note on the 80's, my sister still regularly changes her Mondale/Ferraro '84 bumper sticker 36 years later!o_O
Tom - Some really nice layout pictures there.
Joe -
One difference is that in Brooklyn, the walk-ups are five or six floors,
Yes, in many places. My neighborhood in Bay Ridge was mostly two story.
Our residence as seen today. Stolen from Bing Maps.
1572176591055.png

Same place in 1944, 75 years ago.
1572176718035.png

The place around the corner that your cafe reminded me of, also from Bing.
1572178807179.png

Looks like some DPM structures to the left!

Today is National American Beer Day, meant to celebrate those non-imported brands. I think that I still have some Samuel Adams Octoberfest in the fridge for the occasion.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Willie: I also grew up in a two story, but in what was called a "Twin", two houses were attached, then there was a 8' space between them. This was two blocks from where the walk-up and cafe stood. Unfortunately, I can't swipe a print from Google, as the neighborhood was demolished back in the '90s to make room for the parking lot for the "new" State Prison...:eek:

The Bay Ridge photos, plus the Baltimore photos Louis Uploads, are fodder for future projects, as are the fire ground photos, I save. Loads of small details.

Speaking of details, the tin roof on the abandoned "barn" makes the model. Good choice.

Yesterday, was a disappointing day in sports. In football, Villanova lost to Stoney Brook, (SUNY), 36 - 35, In Hockey, the Maple leafs lost to the Habs 5-2, and The Nationals again embarrassed themselves at home....:confused:. I'm not sure what NFL delights will be offered this afternoon, but it will probably be centered on our "delightful" local NY teams, that actually play in Jersey. Neither team has a chance of advancing to the playoffs. :confused:.

Today's plan centers on the layout. If I can concentrate on priorities.

Boris

Good Morning All. 47° and clear. Today and tomorrow are going to be beautiful days, then a chance of rain returns Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sunday Special for me this morning Flo. Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise and an extra slab of ham on the side.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's progress pictures; Sherrel, Garry, Lee, Chet, Phil, Tom, Chad, Joe.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly worked on the derelict barn.
View attachment 41015
View attachment 41016
View attachment 41017
I'm not quite happy with the barn color yet, it is supposed to represent a barn originally painted red, that most of the paint is gone and we're seeing the gray primer and the sun-bleached wood. The brown beneath the missing roof panels is due to the tree branches/sap that will be growing through there. I'll be trying some more highlights with some lighter gray and some darkened white. Interesting to see how different the roof looks from different viewing angles. The only other detailing that I did yesterday was to add some dry transfers to the outside cafe walls.

Sherrel - Hate to rub it in, but I got gas at Kroger in Denton last Thursday where regular was $2.13. A bit later I passed WalMart where it was posted at $2.08! At these prices, you might have to make a trip here for a fill-up!
Side note on the 80's, my sister still regularly changes her Mondale/Ferraro '84 bumper sticker 36 years later!o_O
Tom - Some really nice layout pictures there.
Joe -

Our residence as seen today. Stolen from Bing Maps.
View attachment 41012
Same place in 1944, 75 years ago.
View attachment 41013

The place around the corner that your cafe reminded me of, also from Bing.
View attachment 41018
Looks like some DPM structures to the left!

Today is National American Beer Day, meant to celebrate those non-imported brands. I think that I still have some Samuel Adams Octoberfest in the fridge for the occasion.

Everybody have a great Sunday.
Bay Ridge NY???? I grew up in Richmond Hill. Howdy neighbor

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier. I played Sorry with the grandkids, off course eldest grandson won both games. He has the luck of the devil when it comes to games. Tomorrow morning my wife is taking the boys to school in the morning while I drive out to Port Canaveral to pick their parents up.

Chet- Great layout scene.

Beady- More nice posters.

Tom- Great layout pictures.

Joe- And the LIRR? (cabin cars)

Willie- Very nice job on the Barn.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dug some of my old circus Stuff out today and ran it. Some of these wagons were Custom painted by me.

Willie. I’m liking that barn one thing about weathering it’s never perfect and you’ll go crazy trying to make it look perfect

Chet. Outstanding pics of the layout

Beady. Always enjoy your poster ads

Hope everyone enjoys there day 70 for the high today and might snow Halloween that’s Missouri weather

82728218-4CEF-4E69-98D7-152D411CA197.jpeg
048A9AF3-F04B-4F53-8D0A-D25738FD01C1.jpeg

Hello Shop Dwellers, just checkin' in! After raining all last night thru this morning, it's sunny and 72*F with a slight SW breeze in my central MD neighborhood.

After the tumult of last weekend, the past few days were relatively uneventful. I had actually planned to do some scenery work on my layout yesterday, but at 9:30am I got a call from a local friend who wanted to me to ride with him to the Timonium show. So I went, and found these:

TwoMorningSunBooks.jpg

I already had volume 3 of this series of books on the B&O that cover the 1960's thru 1987 (absorption into CSX), these are volumes 1 & 2. I knew this trio (Orsozi, Salamon and Ori) had done other books but I never knew what their titles were, so I wasn't sure how to search for them online...now I finally found them! They are full of color photos that I will be referring to on my next scenery project, which will be to apply grass and weeds along the trackwork. That's something I can never get looking "real"...

I'll try and comment more on all the photos and stuff as soon as my hangover goes bye-bye!
Lordie, Merci ... daughters 40th BD party was Un freaking Un real!
Caught her totally unawares and there were 50-60 folks there! (Opps - MOH said 80+)

Willie - Think I'm going to rent a semi tanker, fill it up, bring it back and set up a gas stop on the corner!
You need "sags" in that roof and "bent up" and missing tin!
But it is looking good!

Last edited:
Lots of great photos being shared on here, hoping I'll have some of my own in the not-too-distant future!

Willie - your derelict barn is fantastic, all you need now is lots of surrounding grass, shrubbery and other overgrowth! I'd love to [someday] have something similar on my own pike, but as for now, I'm a bit short of space.

Joe - I always like seeing pics of your emerging layout, especially since your modeling era encompasses my own (1969-72). I feel your pain on the lack of available "era-correct" 1:87 vehicles. I had some of those LifeLike vehicles on my first layout, I painted them in metallic colors and also painted-on "hubcaps" - and that seemed to improve their appearance significantly. Don't know if I saved them or not, if I find them I'll post 'em.

Good afternoon everyone...a perfect fall afternoon here in this part of Wisconsin. Sunny and in the high 50's and low 60's depending on your location.

Bitter sweet days since today we closed the cabin for the season. We packed up all items that could freeze during the winter, drained the plumbing and set out mice poison in all the buildings. Mice are a problem and will eat or destroy just about everything that they can bite on. We'll be back to the cabin in late November or December. Need to check on some land we own 30 miles from the cabin that people tresspass on to hunt deer on.

When to the Trading Post where I had my party two weeks ago and enjoyed a few cocktails at the bar.

Drove a vehicle for the first time in almost three months. My truck is next in line to drive to get an oil change and then head over to Walther's on Thursday.

I received my first hospital billing for over $320,000.00 - no Rehab billings as of yet. Glad I have Medicare and a good supplement plan so I owe nothing! I hope the Postman's back is okay after delivering this bill and as heavy as it was...!!!

Tomorrow the blood lady comes for a draw and then I'll head downstairs to the train room. I have some projects in mind and I like to watch a train run and think of ideas. One idea is a smoke generator for the burned out area. Need more details in the Waupaca area, like a welding or workers using a torch for some lighting effects. Need to add signage in many areas.

Catching up on the Forum and other railroad sites.

Thinking of ordering a Milwaukee Road Rapido locomotive that are planned to be delivered in December. They sure run sweet. I have a SOO SW1200 on order. The detail is awesome. Scale Trains are as good in detail, but I need to see one in action.

1572214891641.png

I remember seeing these locos in action in the Milwaukee Road yards in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A rare clean Milwaukee locomotive.-Greg

That's all for now....

Greg

#########################################

100_0781.JPG
Office for the Omro Junk Yard, an Atlas model with a corrugated metal roofing applied.-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back