Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg - Downloaded the manual and now I can see why the MU option was so quick. Shouldn't be a problem.

Texas Hobo - Nice photo. Thumb up.gif You are allowed to post as many as you want, but are limited to 10 photos per post.

More on those drowned Shinkansen trains -- video showing them and the devastation and flooding around them. The dialog is a Japanese news report so you probably wont understand what they are saying, but you can see the trains in the water. Supposedly they might have to be scrapped.

That is some overwhelming flooding. In the one shot from the air, everything was flooded. I can see why they would have to be scrapped. Being under water the interiors would have been ruined let alone the traction motors and associated electrical and electronic components.

Afternoon All,

Did some inside chores today. Tomorrow I need to trim the hedges around the front of the house. Today I glued on the remaining 1x6's and prepped the bottom of the 3rd one.

Terry- It appeared to me that everything looked fine in the video.

Chet- Beautiful looking car.

Johnny- I look forward to your progress.

Ken- Prayers for your family and friends. I really hope things get better for everyone.

I hope everyone has a good night.

[QUOTE="montanan, post: 465002, member:]

Again, if someone can help me figure out how to get these units MUed together using Digitrax please let me know.
[/QUOTE]
I can only tell you base on Digitrax Zephyr. Put in the number of the lead locomotive, push the "MU" button, put in the number of the second locomotive, press "CV+. If they have MU'd you should see the first loco number with a dot above.

I can only tell you base on Digitrax Zephyr. Put in the number of the lead locomotive, push the "MU" button, put in the number of the second locomotive, press "CV+. If they have MU'd you should see the first loco number with a dot above.[/QUOTE]

Texas Hobo - I am almost totally ignorant when it comes to DCC. I have no idea how to work with CV's but I did download the manual from Digitrax and believe that I have the problem taken care of. I appreciate the help.

My home layout is DC only, has been for over thirty years and will remain that way in the future.

My home layout was built mainly for switching and there is really no need to run multiple locomotives on the layout as I am also a lone operator. Many of my locomotives are the original Atlas Alco RS units with the Kato drive and there is no room for decoders or speakers due to the size of the weight inside the shell. I also wouldn't want to take the time to add DCC to the locomotives and the cost of converting over 30 locomotives would take funds that I could use elsewhere.

Montanan - I started mine as DC and have about 10 - 12 locomotives that are DC sitting on a shelf. My layout started as a double main and what yards I had were all back in. I bought a cheap DCC loco and Digitrax Zephyr. The Zephyr will run DC locos but I have seen some reports it will ruin their motors over time, also they sit a hum constantly. I now have about 12 DCC locos and really like the ones with sound. I like you am a lone operator, though one other could fit in, I am rebuilding a more operational layout than a train watching one.
Overall - Shelburne Feb 2019.jpg

Texas Hobo - Nice photo of your layout. Post some more. I do have a few DCC locomotives, mostly for running at my club. Some operate exceptionally well on DC but then there are some opthers that don't. I will most likely try to sell off some of the DCC locomotives that I have as at my club, we have a very long two and a half percent grade that we have to tend to. I have already gotten rid of a couple because of their lack opf pulling power on the grades. For instance, I have an Atlas RD-1 in DC. It can handle at least 16 cars on that grade. I had an Atlas DCC RS-1 and it was lucky if it could pull 10 cars up the same grade. I did finally manage to find some Walthers Train Line F-7's which are excellent pulling units on the grades. Here is the photo of a train that I pulled last week at the club, and I am sure that these units could pull another 10 cars.

thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg

My home layout was also built mainly as a switching layout, although I can run trains continuously. DCC is not really needed at all at home.

More on those drowned Shinkansen trains -- video showing them and the devastation and flooding around them. The dialog is a Japanese news report so you probably wont understand what they are saying, but you can see the trains in the water. Supposedly they might have to be scrapped.

This reminds me of the NJ Transit equipment flooded at the Meadowlands during Tropical Cyclone sandy. Took NJT a long time to restore some of this equipment to service. With storms of this magnitude, there really isn't a safe place to store equipment.

oris

CHAD - That's just a real shame to have all that beautiful equipment trashed! I can see where it looks as if a levee broke letting the water flood through!
The Japanese will have it all scrapped, restored, or running within a month. Out here they would not even have a "commission" assembled to "study" the problem in that time.

CHAD - That's just a real shame to have all that beautiful equipment trashed! I can see where it looks as if a levee broke letting the water flood through!
The Japanese will have it all scrapped, restored, or running within a month. Out here they would not even have a "commission" assembled to "study" the problem in that time.
Don't forget the Environmental Impact Study...

Badenov 33 :mad:

GarryCBQ - Thank you. Your layout certainly looks great as well. I have to agree with you about an ease of wiring. Only the engine(s) you want to run are moving without toggle switches. I think the feature I like is being able to run in opposite directions on the same track. I have a single track main line with 3 passing tracks, the shortest will hold 8 cars and a loco. So I run an East bound and a West bound giving the uphill train the right of way.

Montanan - I'm not sure of the degree grade but it is pretty steep. I MU's 2 Kato SD40-2's and they can easily pull 48 plus cars. They could pull more but I don't have more.

We'll see what they end up with. They are quite efficient but it takes a while to make up 10 sets of 12 cars each. They had 30 sets between the E7 and W7 (E7 and W7 are basically the same, the E7 being owned and operated by JR East and the W7 being the version owned and operated by JR West, on the same routes -- from what I read 8 E7 and 2 W7 were affected out of 19 E7 and 11 W7).

I guess some of the E7s were running on new routes (other than the Hokuriku Shinkansen lines) and speculation is they could shift those E7 to the Hokuriku Shinkansen lines and they may be able to take some older sets out of retirement (E2 or other) and put them back into service to take up the slack until they can get some replacements.

I read somewhere that it was about 33B yen worth of trains which is a little under $330 million.

Interestingly I have two KATO trains that are of this sort -- one W7 and one E7. I think the W7 is a complete 12 car set while I did not buy all the expansions for the E7. (These are N scale).

Thank you everybody for your "likes", encouraging words, and prayers - I do believe those made a difference!

Wife says she's doing better after swallowing a gallon of nasty-tasting stuff the GI doc told her to take on Saturday, guess it took longer than normal for it to loosen things up. Surgery shouldn't be necessary, however she's scheduled for her 10-year colonoscopy in early November and that will provide a more definitive insight.

The second stress factor listed last night was about my son who recently started PA school, last night he was saying he was having a major exam thing morning and felt woefully under-prepared for it. He sent a follow-up text this afternoon, said he got an 'A' on it!
Ken, there has been some new (?) research that indicates migraines can be caused by, and made much worse by, caffeine. If he is constantly chugging coffee or energy drinks to keep going, they could be making the problem worse. I know if I drink a cup of coffee while suffering from a migraine, it makes it more intense, and last longer. Not trying to tell you to tell him what to do, but I am sharing what I've learned. Cutting back on coffee, sodas with caffeine, and energy drinks may or may not help, but at least it won't hurt anything.
Thanks Terry for sharing from your 1st-hand experience! Calvin has already drastically cut back his caffeine consumption - but not totally eliminated it. [He probably should IMHO...I've been caffeine-free myself since August 2006 and have had very few headaches over the past 13 years.] He's pretty sure these occasional episodes are a result of his assigned classroom seat being directly below an A/C vent, says they usually happen during or shortly after being stuck at that over-chilled spot for an entire afternoon.

As for our friend Tom, no further news yet; but his neurosurgeon insists that a coma like this could last a few days due to the trauma of surgery on his brain, so there's still a chance for full recovery.

I haven't really perused all the photos you guys have been posting, haven't read any postings past pg 28 - guess I'll try to get caught up on those now.

Howdy.

Karl ... Good to see your trip
Is having a good beginning . That looks like Sedona. Very pretty country.

Johnny ... I’m glad you like my NYC Hudson picture.

Ken .... Prayers for your wife, your son, and you friend. Also, I hope you are doing well as you recover from your surgery.

speaking of health issues.... We are very concerned about our brother-in-law in Nashville. Tomorrow, he will have surgery to replace a heart valve. The operation is expected to take six ...

Garry, my prostatectomy is essentially a thing of the past now [but thanks for asking]; except I do still wear a protective pad to catch the occasional and unpredictable "micro-leaks". Usually dry at swap-out time, but not always...!o_O Hope your BIL's surgery goes well, added him to my prayer list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back