Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in the last 3 hours.......Everybody must be jammied up and in bed.:)

Just jammied up watching the BB game!

Sherrel .... You must have good eyes to notice a feed water heater. The NYC Hudsons had them, but most of the feed water heaters were inside the smokebox. The ends of them protruded and were the only part of them that was visible.

Lionel's Famous 773 Hudson was sans visible Feedwater Heater?

We’re paying $2.699 here in Marshfield. Last Saturday, we were down near Greg’s area in southern WI, visiting my mother in law’s relations & it was $2.409. We paid $2.419 in Columbus on the way home.

YES YOU ARE ... and may a herd of wild camels visit your lawn tonight!
I win -- paid $4.09 a couple days ago - High score wins - LOL.

Good morning. It's either mostly clear (MSN) or mostly cloudy (Inaccuweather), depending on who you believe.

Very good TERRY!

I hope nobody gets upset with me for bringing up politics. I need to vent and this has been about as bipartisan as it gets.

Very well spoken, Louis!

Willie- I like what you have done to the downtown area.
The different shape signs really stand out to add realism to the scene.
I am currently researching old pictures of downtown Birmingham.
I remember many old signs and names, but my memory doesn't do too well with sizes and proportions.
When I find some decent ones, I'll share them with you.

It was a cold 32 clear morning thanks for all the likes and complements on the layout pics

Willie yes I need to clean it up it starting to show it’s age. Have a great day I’ll peek in later

Joe, do you have DVR capability?
Terry: No. Once I know the result, seeing the game is not important. My membership on MLBTV, allows me to watch the video of the game after a reasonable delay, so does NHLTV. I can even access blackout games after a couple of days. HNIC is televised on Canadian TV, and streamed via my Roku. Rogers Sportsnet will also be carrying the MLB games, so they will be giving updates. (Rogers owns the Toronto Blue Jays).
Another point is that the wife understands Hockey, and will actively watch the game. She even tolerates the Don Cherry segment. Baseball, OTOH, puts her to sleep. The game moves too slowly for her. Back in the day, we would watch Yankees games over WPIX 11, with Bill White and the "Scooter", Phil Rizzuto. The joke was she couldn't stay awake past the 5th Inning. That was back in the Billy Martin era.

Boris

Last edited:
LOUIS -- A Lionel question?
I have been prowling around the net looking for a little info.
What year/s did Lionel NOT have Magne-Traction in their locos?
I once had a Berkshire 2-8-4 as a kid which did not have Magnets and it would not pull but a few cars even on a flat.
I know that Lionel stopped putting it in sometime during the Koren War. I was just unlucky enough to have bought one that was without.

Good morning. 10AM and 40F. Was about 28F at 5:30AM when the wife got up for work. Was around freezing an hour ago. Nice and sunny. All the blinds are open on the windows facing the sun.

Kids have a swim meet that starts at noon so will be out of here in about an hour and a half. Don't know if I'll get to more feeder work on my train table as I have to catch up on the day job work. I took half a day off yesterday to go to a Home Show. Needed to talk to some vendors about work for the house we are building this coming year.

Chad - 57° inside. And my family thought I was cruel at 65°. However I heat with only a wood burning stove and it can heat the room it's in by 10° in 20 minutes or so, and the adjoining rooms in about 45 minutes. We still used the A/C on Thursday and looking at the forecast we'll use it at least five of the next ten days.

It was 57F this morning in the house when I crawled out of bed a little under an hour ago. I opened the blinds and it is already up a degree :) Yesterday the house got up to around 67F or 68F. I think the wife prematurely closed the blinds as she was leaving the house right at prime late afternoon sun time :(

Yesterday got up to the high 40s and today should be yet warmer (and not as cold at night), outside. By the middle of next week it is supposed to get as high as 70F. So I think we survived the "cold" spell in my heat moratorium month :)

Once Nov 1 hits I'll switch on the furnace in the smart thermostat. The night time setting is 60F and the daytime is 66F during the winter. On sunny days, depending on how cold it is, we can get it to anywhere from 70F to around 74F by opening the blinds. That and a sweater or sweatshirt and we do fine. It helps acclimatize people to the cold to have this cold month so that they are a bit used to it when we get to the just cold house, and not d@mn cold house we have in Oct.

We rent right now and the house is a low-spec mass produced low bidder house and not that well insulated. I've done what I could without spending real money but I just don't want astronomical gas bills in the winter.

The house we are planning will be ICF (insulated concrete) and air tight and super efficient. Paired with a high efficiency, hydronic heat pump and radiant cooling and heating, and a solar panel installation for electricity (to drive the heat pump and the whole house power), we should be able to maintain a steady 73-74F year round in the house with very little hit on the finances due to utilities. Everyone is looking forward to that!

Yesterday at the home show I re-established contact with both the solar company (I'll put it out to bid to a few but suspect this is the one I will work with) and the heat pump people and told them we are ready to start the detailed planning and sign deals.

Brrrr! Was 41* this morning - I am not used to that! Expected to be 86* later on - was 87* yesterday.
Record low this date happens to be 41* (2008) and the record high was 107* (1999)

The BB players looked cold last evening? I feel that the season should be shortened up since they have the extended playoffs now which add over three additional weeks to the already 162 games, but there is millions of dollars involved and that is the controlling factor.

No fires close around here - thankfully!
It has really been dry with almost no rainfall where the fires are located - and "ZERO" here!
We were only blessed with about 15 mph winds - gusts to 20 - while up north where the fires are located they had 35/40 with gusts to 60. Some fires were starting two miles away from some of the main blazes.

Willie, Good pics

Good morning

Willie... Your Merchants Row and your townhouses look good.

Sherrel ... I’m not familiar with the Lionel Hudson and don’t know if it had a feed water heater . Also. I do not know about the Lionel Berkshire and when it had Magna Traction.

Speaking of Lionel, I just put this Lionel Alaska RR diesel on my workbench. It needs repairs before its annual Christmas tree assignment. Last year a traction belt slipped off the wheel and jammed gears in the power truck. It looks like a bad design having a traction tire on the center axle where it does not have a flange on the wheel.
175F417E-1419-48B3-9B8C-4C4CEFD57412.jpeg

Hi gang!
Packing, getting ready to fly to Arizona in the a.m.. Phoenix, then Sedona, then to Williams and the Grand Canyon Railway to the south rim of the Canyon, spend a few days then reverse to home. I'll try to post pics.
House sitter coming by later, will be caring for the critters in out absence, so NO house parties (Terry!)

While we're out there, gonna check out the local markets. (housing/job) Just in case the Kirwin Commission plans come through, I'll be getting my ass out of Absurdistan! Louis, KenL, you both need to keep an eye on this!! (Average MD family facing a $6,000 yearly increase. I'd rather spend 6 grand on a moving truck!)

L8ter gang!

Why can't so many look past party affiliation and look at the record objectively?

Louis: Some people believe that because they are a , (Fill in affiliation), the are obligated to register and vote only for their affinity party.
There is no objectivity or tolerance in affinity politics. That's why the most sought after voter, is the "Independent" swing voter. The affinity voter is a lock. All you have to do is get them to show up, but the Independent voter gives issues a thought

Boris

LOUIS -- A Lionel question?
I have been prowling around the net looking for a little info.
What year/s did Lionel NOT have Magne-Traction in their locos?
I once had a Berkshire 2-8-4 as a kid which did not have Magnets and it would not pull but a few cars even on a flat.
I know that Lionel stopped putting it in sometime during the Koren War. I was just unlucky enough to have bought one that was without.

Off the top of my head, I don't know, but I'm sure I have the answer in one of my books.
Now I'm out of time, I have packages to deliver or as Amazon says "smiles to deliver" :)
Did I ever mention I love working?! :)

Good afternoon .....

I fixed the Lionel Alaska locomotive, and it will be ready for Christmas tree duty. The power truck was held in place with two flimsy cotter pins. Both of them broke when I removed the power truck.

Hi gang!
Packing, getting ready to fly to Arizona in the a.m.. Phoenix, then Sedona, then to Williams and the Grand Canyon Railway to the south rim of the Canyon, spend a few days then reverse to home. I'll try to post pics.
House sitter coming by later, will be caring for the critters in out absence, so NO house parties (Terry!)

While we're out there, gonna check out the local markets. (housing/job) Just in case the Kirwin Commission plans come through, I'll be getting my ass out of Absurdistan! Louis, KenL, you both need to keep an eye on this!! (Average MD family facing a $6,000 yearly increase. I'd rather spend 6 grand on a moving truck!)

L8ter gang!

Karl .... Enjoy the trip. Sedona is a pretty place, and a lot of people retire there. We rode the Grand Canyon Railway, several years ago, and it is definitely a good trip.... I suggest you also ride the Verde Canyon Railroad which is not too far from Sedona. ... We are going to AZ in a couple of weeks to visit with our daughter who lives in Casa Grande. It is a good place to watch Union Pacific trains on the former SP Sunset Route.

Afternoon All,

I finished the first platform and started on the second one, but I don't have enough 1x6's to finish the second one. Later I'll probably be switching between the Florida game and the Navy game. Of course they both start within 30 minutes of each other.

Louis- More interesting old time photos.

Willie- Nice city scene.

20191012_123125-1512x2016.jpg

20191012_132939-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Got the laundry done (my job) while the wife went to town for beer, groceries and other stuff.

Louis - Your photos are really winners. Can't decode on my favorite between loading the Buicks or the photo of North Howard Street. They're all good.

Willie - Those are some great photos. Really like the signage in the first because of all the interest they add. The row houses in the next photo are something that you don't normally see because of the lack of 1/87 real estate on most layouts. So far as losing weight goes, I think I am past the point of trying to eat anything that doesn't move fast enough. Cut back a lot already. Unfortunately in the winter I don't get as much exercise without having the yard to tend to.

Justin - Good photos again. Keep 'em coming.

Joe
- You are right about that ghost sign. Great modeling idea.

Karl
- Enjoy the trip. That train ride to the Grand Canyon is well worth it. Would like to do it again in the near future. I'll be waiting for photos.

Garry - Glad you got the locomotive fixed. From the way you were commenting on the locomotive, the quality probably isn't as good as it was years ago. The ones I had when I was a kid were just about indestructible.

Curt - Really like the staining you did. Sure makes a lot of detail difference.

The weather is improving is tonight I will head over to the club in Livingston. In a way I do dread the trip as we are up late on Friday nights with bowling and usually don't get back home until well after 10 PM and it is usually lights out for us around 9.

Did run trains for a while. Let the RDC take a few laps around the layout.

thumbnail_20191012_125857.jpg

thumbnail_20191012_130041.jpg

Before boxing up the trains that were going to Livingston,. I did enjoy running them around the layout for a while. I was thinking of bringing the B unit in the Lowey paint scheme just for grins.

thumbnail_20191012_123203.jpg

Decided top pass on that though as I want to see how many cars the A-B-A lash up will be able to handle on the grades at the club.

thumbnail_20191012_123933.jpg

It is fairly heavy for a dummy unit and with having to pull a track cleaning car around the layout which weighs probably as much as three normal cars, I'll do without it tonight.

Later

Garry, I think if that traction tire comes off again, I'd just leave it off. There are traction tires on the two flanged wheels on that truck, it sould be more than enough to pull a short train under the tree. You can get a wheel without the groove for the tire machined into it, if you want to have all wheels contact the rails.

Fellow coffee shoppers
Thought I'd give a progress report on the layout. Very little getting done for lack of time. A spot that I planned for a ravine & creek is what I'm working on now. Track and wiring come pretty easy but when it comes to imagination and creativity, that part of my brain doesn't work well. Of course, my "tender" says the other part doesn't either some times. The pic shows what will be "Truckers Gulch" so named for the retired truckdrivers that will be hanging out under the bridge. I started to go with 2 of the truss bridges but its not wide enough so one in the middle should be fine.
This other news should make ya'll glad you aren't living in Calif. PG&E has shut our power off 3 times in the last 3 weeks due to high winds someplace 50 miles from here. Most of N Calif was off part of this last week for 1-4 days. For the last 20 years this giant utility has failed to maintain its infrastructure and its starting to fail. Because this states leadership and environmental whackos, our forests have been allowed to become so overgrown with brush that once a fire gets going, fed by the annual winds, there is no stopping it. Soooooo, the insurance industry is non-renewing anyone near a forest. I had to insure with the Ca Fair plan. My homeowners policy went from $1300.00 to $4700.00. So much for my MR budget. Add $4 gas to the picture and it gets plain expensive to live here. If I were to put anywhere near the number of buildings on my layout as WILLIE has, I'm sure the county and state would increase my property taxes accordingly.....
Anyway, not much to show on the railroad but I really enjoy all the pictures, wit and wisdom on here.

Dave in PV
IMG_4246.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back