Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this page on the web about one in particular, Aussie variant of Chrysler's local 1970's production, the hardtop coupes. They were stretched 4" (I thought it was more like 6") to produce a more spacious rear seat accommodation. As noted the 4 door model (not shown) was named the Chrysler by Chrysler, but also as a Limousine. The rear quarter panel of the "Coupe", was the largest panel of it's type, pressed in Australia. A less flattering name given them was, "Whale". The vinyl covered roof was the cause of many a demise, because of the rust that would love the dampness trapped between cloth and steel.
1570771151339.png

1570771269183.png

I used the 4 headlight front panels etc on my 2nd Charger.
http://herman.coomans.net/hardtops.html

Last edited:
Chet- I think you have a greater variety of cars than I do.
I have many Maestro, Metal Classics and Oxford model, but I have many others made from kits in plastic, cast resin and cast metal.
When Walmart discontinued the Maestro 1/87 vehicles, I bought multiples of the '55 Chevy, Cadillac convertibles and chopped Mercuries.
I am slowly repainting some of the duplicates to give some variety. I don't need 9 yellow and white '55 Chevys on my little layout.

I am working on my HO pipe loads from the remnant arrow shafts. So far, my 17 pipe stacks take from 6 to 16 carbon pieces per stack.
You can guess how much of my time is taken up watching glue dry!
When I get done, I'll take some pictures, good or bad results.

Louis- digits may sound “cold”(in mid-October, perhaps). In a couple months, for those of us on the Northern Tier, that will sound like a heatwave(when it’s cold enough that the USPS(& other delivery companies) shut down for multiple days.

Mike, here in Baltimore we usually get a week, maybe two of single digit temperatures. Some winters it never gets that low.

The coldest I ever experienced was when I took on a contract to operate a crane for a commercial roofing company. The job was on a Verizon long distance switching station in Georgetown, Washington DC, in-between the Potomac river and a canal. The amount of money passing through that station was unreal. I had to have $1 million of liability insurance for every minute I logged on the crane! Long distance switching stations can not shut down and the roof was in dire straights, the job had to be done, delays were out of the question. The temperatures ranged from 4-12 degrees and the wind chills were below zero for the entire week I worked on the job. I've never been so cold in my life! You can imagine what I was thinking about Verizon for putting off the job for so long!

I'm always amazed at the temperatures I see in the upper mid-west. I can't imagine what those, some times far below subzero temperatures feel like. Humans are amazing creations, adaptable to almost anything. I always think of those who work outside in those temperatures.

We do occasionally get deep snows. In 2010 we had 3 nor'easters in succession in less than 2 weeks. Accumulation was over 30 inches, not much by some standards, but crippling to the mid-Atlantic region. My son had the snow piled over my head (I'm 6'8") in our front yard from clearing our driveway and parking in front of our house. I was completely disabled at the time, but my wife and my son only missed one day of work. That was when Baltimore City banned cars from the roads.

LOUIS - Living in KC one time, In a raging fit back in the '70s, I took off my wedding ring and threw it out the door - it was about this time of year. Well, we sort of made up and one day in the spring as I was mowing the yard to rid of leaves (big yard lots of trees) I heard a clang, clang of the riding mower - I stopped, tilted it up on one side, and there was the ring that I had tossed some 6 months before. I still have that ring, just not that wife, but we stayed hitched for another 11 years. I don't wear a ring, or any sort of jewelry anymore - current wife gave me a ring when we hitched, but I caught my finger in a gearbox and the ring was almost crushed, but I figure that it saved my finger. Since then I have not even worn my watch when around anything mechanical. Kind of a shame because I have a nice diamond ring from my father; it's too loose for my fingers nowdays and I don't know what to do with it? If I pass it along to my son, I feel that he will sell it to buy another AR-15 or another set of 6-shooters. He only has 7-8 AR's of all different calibers - he bought one and built the rest.
I got lost on this - Glad you found your ring - Some things are just important to us!

Sherrel, that is an amazing story! My oldest daughter would probably be upset with me for telling you this, but she tossed her wedding rings into the Chesapeake under similar circumstance. Now she has a tattoo on her ring finger. Both of my daughters are volatile. I've been described as "cold hearted and calculating, but in a good way" by my cousin who I grew up with. I learned the hard way when I was young; action in anger is usually counter productive. Growing up on the streets you learn quick, don't act out of anger or fear, if you want to thrive.

Having said that, I wish I had my former wedding ring and all the gaudy jewelry my ex-wife gave me. With the price of gold today, I could convert it into a good bit of cash! In anger I told her "you keep it, I never liked any of it!", anger cost me. We are all prone to acting in anger occasionally, especially when a crazy woman lights the fuse.

I'll pass my ring on to me youngest grandson. When he was a baby he would play with the ring on my finger and I would tell him "that ring is a symbol of the love I have for Nagyi" (Nagyi is a Hungarian term for grandmother). My ring is not worth more than $1000. I'll just leave and extra grand for my oldest grandson or let him pick something of mine he wants to make it even.

Thank you, I am so very happy to have my ring, thank God.

Good morning everyone. 41 and raining - in fact it rained all night.

Well, MOH and I went to our second (and final) retirement class last night, hosted at Missouri State U here in Springfield. Good information, some of which we already knew, some we didn't. Helping us plan our future.

Chet, Lee, Chad, CCoffran, Garry, Willie, Boris, Sherrel, Wheeler, Louis, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the photos of the finished lumber company area.
Chet - Always like seeing photos of your layout, especially the town of Gallatin Junction - that's a busy place!! Like the "mosquitoes" sign.

Nothing to report from the train room. got home too late from that retirement planning class to do anything. I think I've identified the next area of the layout to work on - a part that's been there untouched ("unscenicked"?) for nearly 3 years. Will post next week.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 41° and drizzling/sprinkling to start the day here on the SFW estate. Wind chill at 35°. The major thunderstorm that was forecast for last night fizzled out or went somewhere else. I don't know, I actually slept an incredible 9.5 hours last night, minus the two mandatory bathroom breaks; and missed a lot. Grocery trip yesterday was uneventful, but I spent too much. Gas was $2.19/gal, but don't tell Sherrel!
After the trek into the big city, I did some winterizing and pre-thunderstorm chores out in the yard/garden/world.
First order of business this morning is to prepare that large crockpot full of chili. Starting with a three pound chuck roast, so I have to do some cutting, chopping and grinding. My wife says that she will be the one to add the spices this time. Hmmmh! Wonder what that means?

A double order of sausage patties and two eggs over easy for me this morning Francine.

I finally got to the train shed late yesterday but mainly ran trains while I am still in that modeling funk! I ran an out and back switch job and took some photos along the way, but I once again left the camera out in the shed, I think the phones out there too! But I did remember to turn the heater on. I also did a little more general housekeeping out there.
In absence of those switching pictures, here's a couple of pictures of the main drag in Vernon, a smallish town on my layout. It is named after my late FIL. First, in homage to my wife's employer is the tax preparer and drug store. Both of these structures are Smalltown kits.
11-13-17 010.JPG

Further south along the same road is the Red Owl Food store and the local bookstore. The grocery is an updated Walther's kit that traces it's heritage back to a Magnuson kit of the Gemini Building. The bookstore is a DPM kit, the original name escapes me right now.
11-13-17 012.JPG

Chet - Enjoyed the pictures once again, some I don't remember seeing before. Looks like the Chevy dealership will need to lease some additional space for that new shipment! At the pace that I have seen, soon there won't be any parking spaces left in town!;)
Mikey -
The south has very few diners, but loads of BBQ joints.
And what's wrong with that?;)
Mike - Great history on the rings.
Louis - Only saw part of the Lionel video, too long for me right now. Looked interesting though.

Cows? They live 250' away across the road. However they're not concentrated like a dairy of feedlot. In these parts, ranchers usually have three to four acres per cow to avoid overgrazing.

Today is National Sausage Pizza Day. To me it ain't pizza without some pepperoni as well.
Everybody have a great day, and an awesome weekend. Stay safe and warm.

I'm with Willie when it comes to pizza, no peperoni, no pizza for me, thank you. You can add on other meats, but you can't forget the peperoni!

Speaking of pizza, has anybody tried Little Caesar's thin crust peperoni pizza? It's great and brilliant marketing. Their original crust pizza is still $5 and the new thin crust is $6. Less for more and they can still say they have not raised their price, brilliant! Personally I don't mind pay a buck more, I prefer thin crust and everybody has to turn a profit. "pizza pizza"

Good morning all Very cool and rainy this morning 50. This was one of my first building I put on the layout it’s a old tyco General Store I converted into a funeral home the Hearse is a old Eko Plymouth I made.The name of it is Wortham Funeral Home Wortham is the very small town I live in. Happy Friday

BF4D4F9C-EE85-42A1-907A-7F9E08FAFDE0.jpeg
2EEDFF2B-CAC0-4CE5-97EC-C38FC4DF9DFB.jpeg
7EBB029E-9410-4454-88EA-A4351D24EB60.jpeg
64C98CCB-8BA8-4D1D-A5A9-66BA9309EE51.jpeg

Good morning. Yesterday it was about 25-27F in the morning. When I got up an hour ago it was 23F and now 24F. But yesterday did not get out of the 30s, and today should reach upper 40s, tomorrow mid 50s, and Sunday into the 60s again. One of those strange quick cold fronts. Wed night when I got out of a meeting at church at 11:30pm (leadership meeting, not worship service) it was snowing pretty good. But not long enough for any accumulation. For the next 10 days it is Sunny or Partly Cloudy in the forecast.

I am cheap and have a rule that I won't turn the heater on in the house until Nov 1. The family deals with the house being 57F in the morning :) Normally it is not that bad and we open all the window blinds (to let the sun in) and the house heats up pretty well during the day. And with most days so far being 50-low 70 the last few weeks, except the last day and a half, it works out. (The corollary is I won't turn on the A/C until June 1 I think it is -- I forget :) ).

No train work the last few days. Needing to work on the house plans. Today is a big Home Show and I will be meeting with the heat pump installer/system designer and hopefully the solar guy there.

Last edited:
Good Morning - It is 65* and VERY WINDY! Supposed to be 85* for a high today.
Noticed that there are fires about and that the power companies are turning off power in order to try and prevent fires from downed power lines.
I hope that "we" are in an area where they don't do that? I had a very nice Honda generator that I gave to my son for him to use on his sailboat and live in horse trailer - I had not had to ever use it where we live and I just tried to remember to start it every month or so and let it run for long enough to cycle the gasoline through the carburetor. My Better Half suggested last evening - that with them shutting off electric - that maybe we should look at getting another.

A lady started moving yesterday afternoon in traffic and then suddenly stopped - my foot slipped off the brake pedal and I "bumped" them; have to call the insurance company this morning and deal with that. I did put a ding on a bumper that already looked as if it was in a demo derby - but I am sure that she will get a new bumper off me - RATS! My truck did not have even the dust dinged; I could not tell that the bumper had touched anything.

How about a nice photo of SLSF #1510 from Winsor Springs, MO, February 1936?
SLSF #1510  Winsor Springs 1936.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back