Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

Another busy morning, working before dawn. I occasionally still do some consulting. Seems my services are in demand lately. In the past 20 years I've said no far more than yes. I thought the requests would dry up eventually, but I was wrong. I guess a reputation for honesty, integrity and an ability to make profit keeps the phone ringing without advertising or making cold calls. If only I had the energy to do more. Oh well, I'll keep "cherry picking" and punch my ticket on the gravy train when I can. As my son would say "easy money"!

I hope to catch up with all the posts I missed soon.

God bless you all!

Lee- You have a real nice variety of vehicles on our layout. It sets your era very well. I like the photos of your industries. Some signs would tell us more about them.

Johnny- your station is highly detailed and creates interest to examine all aspects of the scene. I almost feel like I am waiting for my train to arrive.

I'm certainly enjoying the layout scenery everyone is sharing today.
Chet- Your school yard scene is very realistic looking. I built the same school house about 15 years ago, but mine did not look as good as the one you have. Your children and swing set are great foreground accessories while your cars fill the background space.

Greetings Railfans: A late morning from the West! Only supposed to be a 75* high today as compared to the 88* high yesterday.
Getting to the "older stage in life" - anything between 60 - 95 degrees is acceptable, and even up to 105* is tolerable with the low humidity in the 10-20% range of most warmer days.; however, with the intensely clear sky, temperatures above 85* really feel hot in the direct sunlight.

A quick note on the baseball playoffs - Has been some pretty good games, but I have never seen so many wildly thrown pitchers - especially hitting the dirt in front of the plate! I know that they are throwing harder than ever as witnessed by the fact that it seems that no one can "go the distance" anymore, but I would think that control could be worked on for sure. I have to admit that I have shown a greater interest in the game here lately ... still pulling for Washington and Houston!

What's happening around here ... after 60+ years of aviation ... I finally bought myself an altimeter from the Bey! I don't really know why, but I have just always wanted one while living and driving around West of the Divide. I just like to know where I am vertical wise and it is very interesting to see the 140-foot change in elevation just going across town here and especially across country.

OK - The "new" refrigerator is supposed to show up here in about an hour and I still need to crawl under the sink to shut off the waterline - it seems a valve was NOT installed at the wall where the ice maker is hooked up.

Still, have a couple of papers to locate and email/fax to the tax accountant in order to finish the return for 2018. Nothing like waiting until the last minute?

Still, have a couple of papers to locate and email/fax to the tax accountant in order to finish the return for 2018. Nothing like waiting until the last minute?
Sherrel: Why postpone the inevitable? :eek: Then again let 'em wait. :rolleyes:.
[QUOTE="Sirfoldalot, post: 464759, member: 2010"]I finally bought myself an altimeter[/QUOTE]
Coming out of retirement? o_O
Lee, Chet, Johnny, and Willie: Nice work, nice photos, and a few good ideas I am tempted to steal.

It's wet, it's damp it's raining and it's chilly, with temperatures dropping through the fifties.

I watched last nights game between Dallas and the Capitals. The caps (and the DC crowd), appeared too nonchalant, and the Caps blew their lead, tied the game with 30 seconds left, and lost it in the first 30 seconds of the overtime period. Sheesh! :rolleyes:.

This place is quiet today.

Boris

Strange weather today. Yesterday mid 60s, and did not cool much in the night -- 5AM was 57F. But by 7Am it had dropped all of a sudden to 50F and by 9am it was 42F. Currently 44F at 12noon. Sunny earlier, then overcast, now a bit sunny again. Supposed to get "frozen mix" today maybe. Then cold tomorrow, highs in the upper 30s, then slowly warming again. I think we are all getting a cold front.

Chad - Those wrecks on the autobahn can be bad depending on the speeds in the area of the accident. My last duty station was on the USS Little Rock, flag ship for the 6th fleet home ported in Gaeta, Italy. From there I traveled quite extensively. Did a lot by train until my BMW was ready. I had a cousin who worked for BMW and ordered a Bavaria. This was in 1970. The car was ordered to American specs and my cousin drove it until I could get up to Munich to pick it up. Managed to get enough miles on it so when I brought it back to the states I only paid duty on a used car. Not many people knew what BMWs were back then. They were not yuppymobiles back then.

Thanks Chet for the comments. That would have been fun. I saw a few Bavarias around when I was younger. BMW did not have its current reputation when I was a kid, though we knew what they were -- funny looking esoteric German cars.

The autobahn accident was scary. Luckily no one died. It was the A94 on the north side of Landshut, and I had just gotten on the exit prior near Essenbach. It was foggy, and being end of Feb, was cold. I had pulled over to the side and stopped after getting on the autobahn to wipe the frost off my outside driver side mirror. I then accelerated quickly back on so that some dumb-@ss whipping through the fog fast would not rear end me. Up ahead I saw a bunch of flashing blinkers. In Germany, people put their blinkers on when going slow as a warning and that is what I though it was. I probably got up to around 50mph in my acceleration onto the autobahn, so as to avoid being rear ended as I got going, and started to slow down to the 30mph (50 kmh legal speed limit in fog) when I saw the lights. I thought at first it was slow traffic and started to slow down even more and then I realized they were stopped (remember it was foggy). I braked and came to a stop, slightly sliding to the left so I was in between the two lanes (two lane freeway). I very lightly hit the car in front of me, R Front corner to L rear corner. The kind that breaks the light and puts a small dent in, as I was practically stopped. Being in between lanes I pulled into the fast lane and drove up behind the person stopped there (and about even with the car I had brushed up against) and got out of my car. A bunch of people were milling about (probably in mild shock). Totally stupid as more cars came up fast behind us and ran hard into me (or one parked behind me and that one got hit hard and pushed into me). We who were milling about could easily have been hit in the follow on as we wandered around. Anyway, my car was hit from behind and pushed into a car that got pushed into a small trailer. My car had basically dents and damage to every piece of sheet metal but was still drivable. The point I was at was actually in between the off ramp and the on ramp of the exit one down from where I had gotten on.

The accident started when a large tractor trailer truck or large truck of some sort entered at the on-ramp and someone came up fast behind it and drove underneath the trailer up to the windshield. That person was hurt badly but no deaths. Other cars stopped or tried to stop and then were hit from behind. So of the 64 cars, they were in a bunch of groupings behind the original accident. It was not one big pile of 64 cars, but 3 or 4 piles of cars (one group then those who stopped safely behind them would get rear ended, etc).

As I was in the fast lane when the cops came (and they flew over the accident site after the fog lifted and took aerial photos) and I was charged with driving to endanger and driving to fast for the conditions. However, I had a lot of witnesses who had seen me parked on the side of the autobahn as I wiped my mirrors, that I was not in the fast lane while driving, and who also had seen that I had safely parked (and no longer in my car) behind the car I was alleged to have run into (not the first one I brushed in the right lane but the one in the fast lane I had parked behind). I had "lawyer insurance" (everyone in Germany does) and the deductible was more than the fine but we went to court, which was an interesting experience, and there were 2 or 3 other people also charged in the same case. We all told similar stories about some idiot businessmen in big cars who had run into us from behind and pushed us into others , and the police officer admitted they had no idea what really happened and had just tried to work it out from the aerial photos. My witnesses did not even get called. The judge dismissed the charges and said everyone should pay their own costs. So while I paid a bit more than the fine would have been I had no record and no points on my German license. The same lawyer also worked to get me paid for the damage to my car and worked out deals with the two insurance companies who handled the two drivers behind me, each paying half. But it took more than a year -- closer to two years -- to get my money back as I had no collision coverage on my car.

Interesting aside is that in Germany, the insurance company does not send an adjuster to figure out value etc. You call an independent aduster who inspects and makes a report and sends you a bill, which you send to the insurance company. The idea is to remove conflicts of interest. Also, the default is that you keep the wreck and so they subtract a nominal amount from the total value and that is your settlement. You can then sell the wreck or rebuild it or whatever. (This is for a total loss situation -- obviously not when it is less than a total loss, in which case they pay the costs determined by the adjuster). I had a friend there who owned his own body shop and he asked me how much I wanted for the wreck. I told him a value (which was probably 500 DM more than the nominal value) and he said ok, he would sell it for me, give me that much, and then we would split the rest. I think the nominal value was like 3000 DM and I told him 3500 DM and he sold it for 6000 DM. He got 1250 DM out of it and I got 4750 DM out of it. I couldn't complain.

Sorry for the long missive. It brought back memories from the experience, which was a scary experience in the actual accident and a learning experience thereafter.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Everyone: Sunny and very nice outside. Today's the first day that I will be going outside in such a long time that I don't recall the last time I was outside.

Perhaps a long week before I get to attempt the basement stairs and at least see the layout. I remember the last time I ran the layout I pulled a freight into a siding and didn't clear the fouling point when I stopped it and a train following it hit the last cars of the freight derailing many cars and the wreck remains which requires re-railing many cars to clear to main.

Ordered a present for the Mrs since she has been through a lot with me in the last two months. It's a framed picture of Brett Favre with Bart Star and Aaron Rogers standing together in a portrait style photo. Cathy has met each quarterback except Rogers which will happen some day. She is the real football fan of the family and when she was in football pools where you had to pick the winners of each weekly game she would win or be in at least third place most seasons. She played against some seasoned football pool veterans.

Several years ago she traveled to Canton, Ohio to watch Brett Favre be inducted in the Football HOF here she met many players and became a friend of Packers President Mark Murphy for at least several hours while they sat together at the same table at a football function.

Her football room is much larger than my layout room!!!

Nothing else new and no train stuff to report.

Take care..........

Greg

What's happening around here ... after 60+ years of aviation ... I finally bought myself an altimeter from the Bey! I don't really know why, but I have just always wanted one while living and driving around West of the Divide. I just like to know where I am vertical wise and it is very interesting to see the 140-foot change in elevation just going across town here and especially across country.
Things are fairly flat here in the Mitten. I live at 840 feet altitude, and there's not a lot of variation on a daily basis. OTOH, I really enjoy watching the Garmin's various altitude readings on our road trips. Going through the mountains, it's fun to see whether you're going to hit the next 1k feet before you start back down. I-70 rises more than 5k feet in just 30 or 40 miles west of Denver (highest point 10k+ ft). The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is ~8k feet and the floor, a mile below that, is still 2k ft higher than where I live. OTOH, in San Diego (La Jolla, actually), two miles inland is below sea level. As a point of reference, WW2 bomber crews went on oxygen at 10k ft; myself, I start to feel it at 7k and become ill at 10k.

Afternoon All,

Spent most the day at the VA and running errands. Rained again today but not near as much as yesterday.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Chet- Nice layout shot.

Johnny- Nice looking station.

20191009_140458-2016x1512.jpg

20191009_144842.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I just saw on one of the weather stations that Chet’s area may have some snow on the ground.

Terry

thumbnail_20191009_110438.jpg

Curt - Nice job on the Truck Train cars. Excellent weathering.

Chad
- I worked as an accident investigator for the Florida Highway Patrol for 7 years when I first got out of the service and I can tell you through experience that it can be near impossible to put blame on any single person in those large chain reaction accidents.

Last edited:
Good afternoon.
Chet: Wow, whatta surprise! eh? Looks like 3" to 4" on the ground already.
Curt: Those Truck Train flats are nice. Great work.

I started this project, two layouts or ten years ago:
Sylvania Cafe 10-9-19.jpg

The Sylvania Cafe is a kitbash of a Smalltown storefront, and a Pola three story multi family. It has Woodland Scenic stick on LED lighting. The model is based on a restaurant and saloon in what was a twin house on the corner a block from where I grew up.

Boris

Yo:
Checking in. Many nice photos / models / individual efforts and humorous comments this morning. I am learning to utilize the like tool.
HVAC guy was here this morning to set up the system for the winter, and change the humidifier filter. I changed the air filter, yesterday.
Now, we are good to go.
It's considerably cooler today. Yesterdays 82°, with considerable clouds and a cool breeze. I think I will wander down to the train room, and work on a few of my ongoing projects.
Yesterday's visit with the Cardiologist went well. Everything is status quo, but my cholesterol is a little high...Changing my eating habits is difficult, but as y'all were discussing yesterday, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Alex Ovetchkin threw the first pitch, and inspired Mad Max to pitch a fantastic game, one that he doesn't have to atone for. Now, it comes down to one game between the Nats and da Bums in LA...
While watching last night's game between St. Louis and Toronto, I became annoyed with the multiple advertisements for Sports Betting from multiple Sports Book organizations, one after another. My first thought was, and Pete Rose is still banned”?
Lee:
The Penn Line F-7 is so cool. Penn Line was mainly known for their PRR steam models that were later manufactured by Bowser.
Willie: Great background project. The Walthers module sections are great to work with, too bad Walthers mishandled the marketing and gave up on the product.
Johnny: Scenery is looking good. Congratulations to your Wife on her 65th.

Boris

Joe- so are Buck Weaver & Joe Jackson.

Mikey. Thanks for the complement and likes

Chet. I took some more pics for you guys this evening hope you enjoy

Sherrel. Thanks for the complement and likes. Hope you enjoy the new pics

Thanks for the complement and likes everyone here’s some more pics. The All States trailer is a classic metal works that I custom decal my piggyback ramp is empty right now I need to fill it up. The coal conveyor is a Walther‘s that I built and lightly weathered. Talk to you guys tomorrow good night

EE407EBF-3411-410E-8642-7E43BE2B1551.jpeg
2ABC1DC6-1AEB-474A-868C-197F11E5FE37.jpeg
B6C18B1C-0395-4DC1-9E4D-B4828427D3DD.jpeg
94E75E44-F5C1-4F1E-9808-12C55F27D0DD.jpeg
7AFBB940-A39C-436A-93C5-454E1400A5C0.jpeg
6279B216-BB97-44FF-A5C2-B58CE730C249.jpeg
BA935147-E4B0-4643-BEE4-4B50D26DE580.jpeg
1D4046E4-8F87-41B3-8D27-D03D86F5E594.jpeg
08F07B0F-5862-4488-8173-9079D65BC8DA.jpeg

Lee- you do good vehicle work, too!
I especially like the May Bro. truck. It fits i the scene , but stands out on its own.

Among the other things I had to do today, we went on a grocery run.
This is a Talladega 500 race weekend and traffic is beginning to increase in the area.
I will stay off I-20 as much as possible until next Monday afternoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back