Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey, you are a good dad! I hope the sink job went easy.

Thank you for the kind words.
My daughter is a school teacher and a single mother. The two hour project went so well that it almost did not qualify as a "Floyd project".
My grandson got to learn a little about plumbing and I got to blame him when the sink stopper leaked. Took two minutes to run a little caulk around
the connection.

A little more of the detailing on the Scaletrains Dash9-44CW's
10-03-19 016.JPG

10-03-19 017.JPG

Those small round holes just above the walkway's in the center are walkway lights. By the way, they are now using metal couplers instead of plastic, still no magnetic uncoupler thing-a-ma-jigs. For that you have to add a Kadee #148, or a #158, the bronze spring on a #5 doesn't fit.
09-30-19 020.JPG

09-30-19 022.JPG

That's the fan housing visible inside the radiator grills.

Time for lunch tacos. Later gang

Willie: As your photos come across my screen about equal to "O Scale" in size-- That really is remarkable
detailing. The last photo of the screens is more akin to "G Scale".,, Nice!

Willie, I don’t know about DC, but if you get the sound equipped dash 9s, those walkway lights work.

Going to lose my computer in a second ... The electrical power is out to 31 homes here as of an hour ago. Prob won't get it back until this afternoon - must v=be a blown transformer. I offered to lend the power guy one of my Lionel trannys, but he said that it was a little small.
Speaking of electric, CHET, thanks for the heads up on the tankless HWH - will have to check them out. My current one is gas powered and we have solar electric - so, will have to check out the pros/cons to see if it would benefit us maybe to go electric??? We do receive a small rebate from the power company, but the power generation is pretty close to what we use annually
Opps, computer just died - and the power is still off!.

Lee, that is amazing! I could see it was a high quality track, but I would not have guessed it was Lionel's FasTrack. I had seen Bachman's EZ-track ballasted and it looked great as well, but I had never seen Lionel's FasTrack ballasted.

Well done!

Thanks for the complement this was my first time Ballasting O scale track

I saw where one of the Collins Foundation - WW2 - B-17's crashed the other day at Bradley Field near Hartford, CT. What a shame - I still have not heard the details; I will see if I can learn what happened?

Sherrel: Sorry to learn the B-17 went down. Apparently had "passengers" on board. NY TV mentioned casualties and showed video of the smoke cloud, but had nothing substantial to report other than it was in Connecticut.

[QUOTE="Sirfoldalot, post: 464363, member: 2010"]Must be some of that money that Sleepy Joe and his Son brought back from overseas?[/QUOTE]

Sherrel:o_O. First met Joe, at Edgemoor Yard, back when he was campaigning for his first term in the Senate, va Cale Boggs. I have encountered him numerous times since, Delaware is a Small State, and Joe is/was an Amtrak frequent rider. Personally, I would be very disappointed if any of the allegations were valid.

[QUOTE="GarryCBQ, post: 464368, member: 4811"]Louis .... Where does MD rank in Take Home Pay, taxes, and cost of living ? .... I suspect much of the high paid jobs are next to Washington, DC. ... You should include Ray (Toot) in your list of comedians. The Serial Kidder can be very funny.[/QUOTE]

Garry: Many of Maryland's high incomes are located in Metro DC. These folks include Federal Employees, Attorneys, Lobbyists, Consultants, Academics the Military, and Politicians. The area is quite affluent, and the cost of living is substantially higher than the middle of the country, but not out of line with the rest of the Northeast Corridor.. However, there are pockets of poverty, particularly in parts of Prince Georges County . Metro Baltimore has a lower median income but similar cost of living expenses. Much of Baltimore's previous industrial might, was exported to low wage parts of the world years ago, leaving a work force with nothing to do. When the numbers are averaged statewide, the median income is higher than aaverage.

Boris, the win or lose the playoffs are bitter sweet for me. Because I know baseball is almost over.

You should catch the Caps vs. 'Canes Saturday night on NBC SN Washington. If the game is an entertaining as last nights Canes vs. habs game, it will make you feel better.

JOE: Was disappointed with the Nationals performance. My baseball coach would have benched me if I made any of those "stupid" Fielding mistakes of those guys - letting the ball get by them ... for heaven's sake, lay down in front of the ball! Letting it get past you is unforgettable - don't give me the "it took a bad hop BS" - get in front of the ball![/QUOTE
Sherrel: Well, they are from Washington. Perhaps we should have a congressional inestigation as to why millionaire baseball players don't know the fundamentals of baseball. Might tell us more than we really want to hear. :rolleyes:

In closing, Test fit:
Medford's Meats 2 10-4-2019.jpg

Have a great weekend y'all.

Boris

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores and ran a couple of errands today. Tomorrow I'm heading down to Orlando to meet some friends for some train talk and lunch before heading home. I plan on watching the UCF game tonight.

Terry- Nice coal drag.

Johnny- Happy birthday to your wife.

Willie- Great looking details. Too nice for my clumsy fingers.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Going to lose my computer in a second ... The electrical power is out to 31 homes here as of an hour ago. Prob won't get it back until this afternoon - must v=be a blown transformer. I offered to lend the power guy one of my Lionel trannys, but he said that it was a little small.
Speaking of electric, CHET, thanks for the heads up on the tankless HWH - will have to check them out. My current one is gas powered and we have solar electric - so, will have to check out the pros/cons to see if it would benefit us maybe to go electric??? We do receive a small rebate from the power company, but the power generation is pretty close to what we use annually
Opps, computer just died - and the power is still off!.
Sherrel, if your computer just died, hw are you still using it to post on the forum?

Holy Smokes, Batman! Three pages of posts from yesterday afternoon - getting hard to keep up - my reading is "Southern" which is about as fast as my movements lately! Somehow, I pulled something in my left lower back and it is really annoying; if I twist a certain way without thinking, it produces a rather sharp pain.

Johnny - loved the Snoopy cartoon - my feeling exactly ... which reminds me that my Taxman" called and reminded me that I better get my info into him ASAP - I had sorta just forgot about it? BTW, Congrats on your wife's Birthday!
Really liked that shot of the main street on your layout; lots of action and vehicles, people, and such.

JOE: Was disappointed with the Nationals performance. My baseball coach would have benched me if I made any of those "stupid" Fielding mistakes of those guys - letting the ball get by them ... for heaven's sake, lay down in front of the ball! Letting it get past you is unforgettable - don't give me the "it took a bad hop BS" - get in front of the ball!

GARRY - I really laughed at your description of the PC locos. That was funny!

Willie: I was going to comment on the sander hose, but I see that you caught it beforehand.
The detail on those is fantastic.
You're take on the food grazing reminds me that I need to pay a visit to Costco and sample a lunch around the store!

TERRY - Ninteen cars plus cab makes a pretty nice train - good show!

I saw where one of the Collins Foundation - WW2 - B-17's crashed the other day at Bradley Field near Hartford, CT. What a shame - I still have not heard the details; I will see if I can learn what happened?

Welcome to all the newer members of the Coffee SHop! A couple of us OLDER MEMBERS need help!
Please put your name in the "signature line" of your profile - I can't keep up with who is who.
If you really don't want too - that's OK as well ... just makes it easier for me to keep up with who is who.

Thanks I’m the same way I’ve been a member but not posted like I should I can’t remember who who I always thought sherrel was Chet

Sherrel, if your computer just died, hw are you still using it to post on the forum?
That didn't make much cents, did it?
I had started that post about 10am out here, but the computer died before I finished the post, and the power had gone off before the computer died.
I actually finished the writing and posted it after the power came back on - It was off for a few minutes over three hours.

I have two batteries for the HP that you sent me. Neither one will last much more than 45 minutes even though they register over 2/3 full charge. The screen and processor just goes blank with no warning.

Evening all,frost advisory tonight and the days are getting shorter so more time with trains in the evening.

Willie - Those engines look great. The detail they have is unreal. Got a couple of Chessie SD40-2's on order from Scale Trains.

Evening everyone,

50° and overcast with rain likely later tonight. I got home Sunday from my business trip to SLC. I had a great time. My classes were engaged and they said they learned a lot. I was able to get in some rail-fanning, Promontory and the Ogden Union Station. Had a rough start to this week though, I think I caught a travel bug and there were a few more issues on the daughters car to resolve. A couple I just ended up throwing money at, since I wasn't feeling well and just time. All is well though now. I will get caught up here over the weekend. You guys don't mess around...LOL.

Beady- I think I remember you saying you were in the CG? I retired last year as an MKC. 22 years total, 6 AD, the rest Reserve. Had a few shipmates deploy to Gitmo. We sailed by it on our Christmas cruise (vacation) in 2017.

Here are a few more pics from my trip. As I curate them I will add more. I even have some video from Promontory when they brought out 119 and Jupiter. Gonna have to figure out the best way to get that on here.

Ceremonial tie.jpg

DD40 6916.jpg
RGW SD40_2T.jpg
833 Profile.jpg
833 Detail Close Up.jpg
X26 Complete.jpg
X26 Up Close.jpg
X26 Close Up 2.jpg
UP Boxcar.jpg

zrk78. Great pics I especially like the 40’ UP Box

Cam. Yes I noticed that tonight here in Missouri it was 7 pm and getting dark wish it would frost here and finish off the weeds and grass

Good morning everyone. 53 and clear out there - BRRRRRR!! Cool front #1 made it through, all right. Another one coming next week. Get ready, Willie!! Hey, Chet - time to have Montana DOT close the south door :D

Chessie, Garry, Wheeler, Patrick, Lee, Boris, Sherrel, CCofran, Willie, Louis, Flip, Curt and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my posts from yesterday.
Chad - Love that German motorcyclist/model railroader commercial. very cool!

DIABETES!! Well, I mentioned I had my annual "wellness visit" last week. The bloodwork results came in the mail last night. Everything fine except one stinking area: blood sugar. It's been a bit over the recommended range for years, but this time it spiked big time. I notice Mike and Louis and GreatDivide have been posting about Type 2 and blood sugar levels and meds and so forth - I guess I'll be joining you in that club - Doc wants me to get something started right away. MOH and I don't drink sodas, don't have lots of sweets, eat organic as much as possible, etc., etc., etc. So don't know what more to do nutritionally. It IS partly hereditary (my mom had it, one cousin has it). Got to bring it under control somehow. Will keep you posted.

BIRTHDAY TIME!! Big weekend coming up - - Next Tuesday is my wife's birthday - 65!! Tonight we go to Branson for a brief getaway, shopping, antiquing, dinner out. Sunday the kids and grandkids come over for a birthday dinner (barbeque). Then on Tuesday, The Big Day, we'll go out to dinner again.

By the way, if any of you are ever over this way visiting Branson, let me know and I'll point you to a fantastic B&B (if you like those kinds of places). We love this place, have stayed there dozens of times over the years. We'll be there tonight.

RETIREMENT!! I mentioned MOH and I went to a free retirement class last night. Hosted by one of the local universities. Great class. Stuff we already knew mixed with stuff we had no idea about. Basically we're doing most of the stuff right, but there's much more we can do. Why on earth the GOVERNMENT has to make SocSec/Retirement/Taxes so stinkin' complicated is beyond me!! Anybody out there understand all this stuff?!? One more class next week. The presenter also has his own business (aye, there's the catch) and will give a free one-hour personal consultation. It appears to be worth it, though.

No photos today. Will post more photos next week.

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.
Chet- if it’s not too much trouble, if you can get MDOT to close the east door too, we would greatly appreciate it here in the ❤️ of Wis Dairy country. Yesterday was in the low 50’s for the high. Today, it struggled to get out of the 40’s.

Good morning, Happy Friday! Our extended summer abruptly ended, yesterday, and we will have a few days of Fall to look forward to.

Garry: Penn Central locomotives were not ugly, just utilitarian.

Louis: Caught the WTOP 106 FM broadcast of the Nationals debacle after I watched the very entertaining game between Montreal and Carolina on TV. MLBTV subscribers get to access the local broadcast through the MLB web site. I think that da Bums may be too much for the Nats. Thinking that a Yankees vs. Bums World Series may revive my interest, although that's a really long Subway ride. :rolleyes:

Ray and Louis: Kline's closing their retail outlet really isn't a surprise. I was looking at Trainworld's web site the other day, and noted that their hours at their Brooklyn Store are reduced. I haven't been inside Klein's since they moved from downtown. Just the bridge and highway tolls, not to mention traffic, sales tax and time would nullify any advantage of visiting either of Trainworld's retail stores. The path of least resistance is "click and ship"

Chad: That's an interesting video. A little aggressive marketing never hurt anyone.

Willie: That sander hose is really misrouted...but the level of detail on those motors is fantastic.

Boris
Boris- that potential Subway Series would be a continuation(after a 38 year hiatus) of the most frequent Fall Classic matchup, with the Evil Empire winning 8 of the 11 matchups(1955- the sole championship in Brooklyn, 1963- sweep led by Sandy & Big D & 1981, the culmination of the strike year that saw two ball clubs who had that best overall record in their respective NL divisions(Cards & Reds), due to the split season created by the strike).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back