Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on those drowned Shinkansen trains -- video showing them and the devastation and flooding around them. The dialog is a Japanese news report so you probably wont understand what they are saying, but you can see the trains in the water. Supposedly they might have to be scrapped.

Chad, I sure wish there was also a "sympathy" button I could click on! I can never quite bring myself to "like" reading that kind of tragic news. Hopefully the Japanese people will be able to get some more trains built quickly to replace them. It's scary how vulnerable Western society is with all our dependency on this hi-tech stuff, when this type of natural disaster strikes!

IB KEN ... Keep the Faith - Things will get better for all. Prayers for your wife 1st! The rest will follow.

I am so sleepy I am trying to type this with one eye closed. Keep wishing Houston would put an end to another boring game - maybe I give up on it.

LOUIS - JOE -- Why do the Yankees NOT have their names on the back of their jerseys????
Sherrill- there are a few other teams without the nameplate on the back of the jersey. The Red Sox & the Giants still maintain the nameless look on their home unis. Why? Tradition, I guess.

Garry, my prostatectomy is essentially a thing of the past now [but thanks for asking]; except I do still wear a protective pad to catch the occasional and unpredictable "micro-leaks". Usually dry at swap-out time, but not always...!o_O Hope your BIL's surgery goes well, added him to my prayer list.

Ken ..... I'm glad to hear your procedure is mostly in the past .........

Also, Ken ........ Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for our brother-in-law who will have major heart surgery tomorrow. We are very concerned.

Boris .... Thanks for commenting on my bridge photo.

Texas Hobo .... Thanks for commenting .... Your layout sounds like a good one.

Good evening everyone.

Ken: That's great news, about your wife and son. Hopefully your neighbors will also have some positive news.
Garry: Prayers for your BIL, also. As you well know, any surgery to the heart is major, and a cause for concern.

Tonight's good news is that the Nationals defeated St. Louis in game 3 of the NLCS, tonight in DC. My MLBTV subscription allowed me to access the local DC broadcast via the MLBTV site. One more win and the Nats are NL Champs

Tonight, I revisited a thread on the MRH Magazine forum, concerning the use of 3/16" foamcore for structures, both temporary placeholders and permanent structures. I'm really tempted to try one for my Scott Paper Co shipping building. Here is a photo, of an example of permanent 3/16" Scale structures, with laminated brick paper.
Philly Foamcore foamcore1-800x588.jpg

The Firestation and the Row Houses were built with foam core. The link is https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/29565?page=1 The photo is by a fellow named Roy Hoffman, posted on 3/27/17. His work deserves to be shared. His web site is http://www.royhoffman.com/pwrr/

Boris

Howdy ..

Louis ... Thanks for commenting on the Lionel. .... My Christmas tree Lionel has a small locomotive fleet. An Alaska SD9 and a Pair of Grand Trunk GP7's (one is a dummy). There are several freight cars and cabooses, too.

Garry, I remember your trains from the Christmas photos you posted previously. Not only do you have a great Christmas garden, you have a beautiful home. I also enjoyed your wife's cabinets with some of her collectables.

The Yankees were the first team to permanently add number to their uniforms. That and a dollar or two will buy you a cup of coffee. Obviously I don't buy coffee at Starbucks.

Could it be they don't put names on their backs to make fans buy a program? ;)

Originally the Yankees did not adopt names on the back because the team is bigger than the individual.

It's the Yankees, you are supposed to know who they are.

Tradition

George Steinbrenner wanted the Yankees to stand apart from other teams

For the most part, other than materials, Yankee uniforms have not changed in nearly 100 years. That's another vote for tradition.

There really is no definitive answer as to why there are no names on Yankee uniforms. I suppose we would have to ask the dozen or so owners of the Yankees over the years to know for sure.

He's pretty sure these occasional episodes are a result of his assigned classroom seat being directly below an A/C vent, says they usually happen during or shortly after being stuck at that over-chilled spot for an entire afternoon.
If that is blowing cold air, directly on top of his head, that will most definitely affect the circulation flow through the brain.

Good morning Everybody!

It's good to see the coffee shop so busy.

It's 52 with 73% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

I'm curious, how many of us old f&%$s have man boobs and excessive hair? I know I do. Maybe before we pick on Willie, we could look in a mirror?

That reminds me, I once had a young girl friend who shaved my back. That was a mistake, it itches like crazy when it grows back! No man-scaping for me, thank you.

How about those Washington Nationals?! Now they look like the team many thought they could be; high powered offense and great pitching.

The Ravens won, as expected. If Lamar Jackson's career doesn't get cut short from injury he could be a hall of famer. I can't tell you how impressed I am by him. The young man worked so hard to learn so much in such a short period of time. His pocket presence, foot work and throwing mechanics have greatly improved. A long with his knowledge of NFL defenses. If the Ravens can better coordinate the defense this could be something special! Almost 40 minutes of time of possession sure did help the defense Sunday.

The Redskins won! I know, don't rain on my parade, I'll take what I can get.

Yesterday went well. My little Angel had a day off and we spent the day together, that made my day great! I got my tires put on. I'm still wondering why a half hour job took nearly two hours, but I am happy with my tires. After dropping of the van at the tire shop and shopping at Costco my wife and I were sitting on a picnic bench under a shade tree watching the vehicles come and go at the tire shop. I could not help thinking "if they are taking 3-4 times longer for each job, how much money are they leaving on the table?"

I expected the Michelin tires would improve the comfort of my ride, but I was surprised by how much. I have to watch my speed more closely now. On the way home I noticed I was going 80mph and it felt like 60-65.

I forgot how many extras you get when you buy a set of tires and have them installed at Costco. Road Hazzard warranty, free rotation and balance, free flat repairs a whole list of things, included in the installation price. Not only were this set of tires almost as cheap as the local wholesaler, I got them installed with all these free extras!

Amazon fell behind last night, so I did a 6-9pm 3 hour route to help out and they paid extra. :) They only gave me 16 stops and I was done in less than an hour. It's no wonder they get behind. The distribution center was a disorganized cluster f&%$ when I arrived. Luckily one of the young Amazon workers rolled a route out to me while many others waited. It pays to be respectful to everybody and does you no good to whine, cry and complain. I was in and out while many others waited.

My DVR is now almost half full of sports. Hopefully I can catch up before I add too much more.

Does anybody buy Walmart's brand of lunch meat ham? I had always bought Costco's Kirkland brand, but if I eat it a couple of days in a row it can cause my gout to flare up. I recently tried Walmart's brand. A ham sandwich is my go to lunch when I'm alone and busy. I found the Walmart ham has not caused my gout to flare up yet, even if I eat it for lunch everyday! I don't know what that means, but I'm happy. I love ham sandwiches! :)

On the topic of migraines, from my experience they can be a mystery. My sister has suffered off and on with them for most of her life. My oldest daughter was stricken by them in her senior year of high school and they stayed an occasional problem to this day, but they have become less frequent. We tried all the usual things, no caffeine, no chocolate and a myriad of other things, but nothing seemed to work. Seems to me once they start they just have to run their course. The worst thing is we never know how bad they will be or how long they will last.

I think I have rambled on long enough.

Have a great day Everybody, God Bless Us Everyone!

Good morning everyone. 60 and overcast and drizzling out there. Should warm up into the 70s today.

Chessie, Boris, CambriaAria, Flip, Patrick, Sherrel, Chet, Willie, and anyone I missed - thanks for the likes and comments and even suggestions on the photo I posted yesterday.
Chet - nice shot of your railroad station. That is an interesting close-up of the people boarding and off-loading from the train.

No photo to post today. All I did last night was swap the dairy for the lumber yard. I think it looks better that way and gives more room for the roadway behind the lumber yard. I also penciled in the roadway, trying to think how to keep some of the hill scenery. Will have to cut much of it off and reshape a bit. This will be a long project, looks like.

Off to the dentist for an exam.:D
Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 70° and foggy. Last night's chance of rain stayed east of us, another missed opportunity. Looking at the low 90's today, and then the next cool front hits a bit after midnight. Low 70's tomorrow and Thursday. I had to close all of the windows when I got up this morning around 0430, as a skunk farted nearby. It wasn't directed at our cat fortunately; could have been hit out on the road since that's where it seemed to be coming from. There's always a pickup truck that passes by around that time every day. May have to take my skunk-removal equipment with me when I go for a walk in a bit, and move it down the road; unless of course the local vultures get to it first. Skunk is their absolute favorite meal!:rolleyes:

I'm over here Flo; grits, ham and scrambled eggs should do it this morning.

Wow! 57 posts in the Coffee Shop since I posted yesterday's picture. Been a busy place. Maybe it will spill over into the rest of the forum.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posting; Chad, Sherrel, Chet, Joe, Patrick, Phil, Tom, Jerome, Ken, Justin, Johnny.
Following up on that photo, here's a couple more going right (north) in the same town of Vernon.
10-15-19 001.JPG

10-15-19 002.JPG

Johnny - Looking forward to your development of that area.
Chet - While I also tend to run my trains right side up, I am also a bit of a stickler for getting things back where they need to be. Many air reservoirs are on the topside, such as modern tankers and container cars. It hasn't been a totally wasted effort, as I have made some minor repairs to other cars as I discover them.
It was so fast that I missed what the guy did.
I used to hate that when the IT guy at work was helping me with something. I'd look away for a moment to make a note and he would hit a few keys and say "There you go".
I am with you on staying with DC on the layout. I have 66 active and 18 furloughed locomotives that I would need to convert. That's a lot of bacon and beer. Even though I have the ability to run two trains at a time with separate throttles, I can't keep track. I just keep everything turned on to the main throttle and only turn off tracks that have locos parked.
Garry - Prayers for your BIL.
Greg - So what was the name of that guitar player? I probably saw him in the past.
Texas Hobo - I like what you are doing with the layout. Railfanning does get boring at times, at least for me. Say, do you have a real name that you are willing to share?
Chad - Although I haven't commented yet, I am reading your commuter train updates with interest.
Ken - Great to read that at least some health matters are leveling out. Thoughts and prayers for your wife continue.
Louis - I don't ever look in the mirror! Tires at my local small town tire shop in Sanger TX, four tires in 20 minutes, mounted and balanced. Everyone in the shop works in a somewhat assembly line style and they do two lines simultaneously. They stay busy and service is the reason They offer the usual after sale freebie extras like you mentioned. I like doing business with them.

Sherrel, Terry, Ray or any other staff members - What significance does "People You Follow", and "People Who Follow You" have in the forum? I never get any notifications or anything.
Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back