Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 56 and clear out there. Couple of rain days coming up, then supposedly a nice weekend.

Justin - Congratulations on the new addition to the family.
All - thank you for your concern and prayers for my wife
All - thanks for the comments on the lake

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Fellows. 65° and partly cloudy. Really felt good sleeping with the windows open the last two nights. High temperature back in the mid-80's again today. 95% chance of rain tomorrow, I guess that they are pretty sure of it. Domestic chores got in the way of life yesterday but they need to be done. Still plugging away on the bathroom remodel and I did mow for about 45 minutes after lunch.
Pretty much a ho-hum day in the train shed later on. Nothing significant to report. Ran trains, cleaned layout, painted figures and thought about making trees, at least I got the stuff out.

Greg -
Willie: I only wish I had a 16 foot passing siding.
I actually have eleven of them that long, although one is going to be re-designated as an Arrival/Departure track for the adjacent staging yard that is about to become a classification yard. My average train length is 22-24 cars with double-headed power and caboose and all of the sidings are long enough to fit an entire train. I am fortunate enough to have been able to build a dedicated building (train shed) in part of my yard that accommodates the layout. No basements here in Texas.
Garry -
Willie ..... Let's have a big party to celebrate National Hermit Day !
I had mine!:cool:
Johnny - Sorry to read of Dena's condition. Fortunately it is a pretty much routine thing these days and she should come through just fine. Prayers are still for her and the whole family.
Yeah! The glass doors for the shower was our greatest delay for the first remodel. Don't say I didn't warn you! Current bathroom just gets a new shower curtain.
Mikey - Looks like things are going in your direction. Of course we want pictures!
Curt - The printing company roof looks bad (good). Nice job with the weathering.
Terry - Crazy video. I wonder if Dave (Truckdad) was there?
Mark - I'll take our 100°+ days over your weather anytime. I get depressed if I can't see the sun at least five days a week.
Louis - This one's for you since I know that you like music videos.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning y'all, 39° and clear.

Louis: No disagreement. I cited the Cubs, Toronto and Montreal Hockey teams, could have added Winnipeg Jets and Buffalo Sabers fans to the mix.
Redskins Season Tickets are a status symbol as much as a fan loyalty thing. At least it was when I lived there. Green Bay is a unique situation, in a small town where nothing else happens. For the most part, attendance is predicated on field performance and other factors such as ticket pricing.
I avoided mentioning NFL teams, because I haven't watched an NFL game in about four years or so. Not a political statement, I just lost interest in football. Back in the day, Philly Eagles fans held on to their Season Tickets, no matter how bad the team was, but when the team raised ticket prices after becoming successful in the '70s fans gave up their seats. Owner, Leonard Tose used to buy the unsold tickets each home game to prevent the team from being blacked out on local TV.

Boris
Boris, that you did and I failed to include that we agreed on the Cubs, forgive me. I meant to, but we know where good intentions lead to. Hockey I can't comment on because "I know nothing". Although I enjoy watching and listening on the radio. I do believe there is a large minority of devoted fans, at least in baseball and football.

I have a very basic understanding of hockey, but If I were to comment on hockey I would be like the majority of fans on sports radio.

Louis - This one's for you since I know that you like music videos.

Willie, the count was one of my oldest daughter, Grace's favorite Sesame Street characters. :)

I enjoyed seeing that video, good memories, thank you!

My memories are part of my real fortune. They never go down in value and they can't be lost or stolen.
"me and Cinderella put it all together."

Good morning. 32 degrees to start the day with an expected high in the mid 40's.

I actually went to work yesterday for my old employer. Besides operating a fleet of reefer trailers, they also had an excavation company and has a fleet of dump trucks and all sorts of heavy equipment. I got a phone call Sunday afternoon from the owner wanting me to run their excavator. The regular operator had gone out of state over the weekend and his truck broke down. I did not want to work, but for $75 an hour under the table, it was a deal I couldn't refuse. Guess some people will do anything for money. Over the years I have operated all kinds of heavy equipment.

Johnny
- Nice photo. Makes me want to get my little pond project started.. Nice work.

Greg - Looking forward to see video from your mini camera. Hope you don't have problems like Ray.

Justin
- Stubborn? Enjoy your new addition. Congrats daddy.

Mikey
- Must feel good to get the old house finally sold. Enjoy the new place.

Louis - There are companies that are taking a modern Corvette chassis and putting a custom retro body on the new chassis. Here's a '62 builf on a 2004 chassis. These are cool cars, but expensive. The photo you posted looks like a new Camaro with a C-1 Corvette front clip grafted on.
71252_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Curt - The print shop is really coming along nicely. Again, nice work.

I did get to visit the train room Sunday and run trains. Here are a few close up photos.

20181028_162412.jpg 20181028_162434.jpg 20181028_162709.jpg 20181028_163009.jpg 20181028_163839.jpg

Here's a rail picture for today.

16042571-old-abandoned-railway-track-and-bridge.jpg

Later

Guten Tag back at you, Mark. Daylight enough to see that it is overcast from the ocean fog this morning, but that will be gone in a couple hours and it will be 79 and clear. Off to the hardware to obtain paint stripper and sanding supplies - have a table to strip and refinish started. Not going to be a quick job!

Willie: Loved "Letter B"! The drum player was fantastic. I'm with you - anymore, a couple days of not seeing the sun makes me depressed.

Louis/Joe .... I enjoy your banter on the sports - keep it up. Green Bay fans can be found all over - everytime I wear my cap I always have two - three people either make remarks, or give a thumbs up. I seriously needto learn the rules of Hocley; I am with Schultz on that!

Johnny: Pond looks great - along with the rest of your layout. Prayers for Dena!

Curt: Building looks great! Nice work.

Good Morning Everyone....Slightly overcast and cool here in this part of Wisconsin. Slept in late this morning and it was great.

Finished my portable programming track yesterday and did a few projects on the layout. I'll take a photo of the completed board. Found a home for one of the Woodland Scenics canoes and its travelers, but first had to clean the dust of the "water". I used a small sponge brush with a cloth glued to the sponge and used window cleaner on the cloth. Did a fairly good job of cleaning the surface.

Continued to break in my "new" locomotive. Today, I'll run another one from its box and do the break in process.

Willie: Eleven passing sidings....Wow. You're fortunate to have the space in your train shed. Here in Wisconsin, with half of our houses under-ground, our finished bar/Packer room was constructed before the current layout. Cathy did volunteer to let me use some of the space for the layout when I started, but I didn't want to move a finished wall.

Chet: Nice photos as always. Nice and sharp with no dust!

Sherrel: We used to attend several hockey games and never did figure out the rules. Our seats were next to the penalty box and one night a player actually pulled out a tooth after he was hit in the face with stick.

The Packers in Wisconsin are an Institution. We've been on the season ticket list for over 20 years and we're #14,223 in line for tickets. I watch the Green Bay stations from my cabin.

Here's a picture of a "classic" cart that is popular at the local campgrounds. No Corvette! This is a "Red Neck" Custom.

1540912914126.png

I like the brush guard on the front of the cart. Parts of Wisconsin want to make these and ATV's street legal to operate on secondary roads. One I seen around was a '57 Chevy. During the winter, snowmobiles are all over the place and the towns actually have snow mobile routes to stores and gas stations. The snow mobilers in winter keep some taverns in the black and would over wise be closed during the winter.

No real plans for today in the train room. Some cleanup and small projects on my list. Back to the junk yard and I need to reattach a small exterior light fixture to my pool hall. Not sure how or what to use to hold it in place. Need to master using AC on a small applicator.

That's all for now.

Greg

#######################################

So it's story time! My son was born while street outlaws was on the TV. Nothing more redneck than bringing a baby into the world while rednecks are drag racing. Don't even know why that was even on in the first place. Anyways thanks to everyone for wishing us well on our new addition. This is him. The caboose!

Attachments

• 44979663_2498808923468559_4695650314076815360_o.jpg
    44979663_2498808923468559_4695650314076815360_o.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 306
Willie -
"Johnny - Sorry to read of Dena's condition. Fortunately it is a pretty much routine thing these days and she should come through just fine. Prayers are still for her and the whole family.
Yeah! The glass doors for the shower was our greatest delay for the first remodel. Don't say I didn't warn you! Current bathroom just gets a new shower curtain. "

Thanks for the well-wishes for Dena. We're praying. We'll keep everyone posted.

Regarding our remodel - the company agreed to take back the tub and the surround panels and credit us. We're going to pick out something they have in stock (as long as we like it). Our remodel guy promised to get that installed immediately. That's the guest bath, and we decided to put up a shower curtain and liner. For the master bath, that's the one that will get the door system. Hopefully it will arrive soon, 'cause we're note moving back into the master bedroom until the master bath is complete.

Afternoon All,

Spent 5.5 hours taping and painting the trim on the stairwell. It was one of the projects that MOH wanted done before Thanksgiving. I probably won't get back to the workbench until Sunday because of the schedule this week.

Terry- Interesting video. I would never have imagined that!

Joe- Thank you.

Willie- Thank you.

Chet- Thank you. Neat looking vette and rail picture. Great layout photos.

Justin- You have a great looking son. He will be a teenager before you know it! :eek:

Johnny- Good financial news.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Justin .... I like the photo of your son ! .... LOL about redneck baby. .... I was thinking that was a small locomotive throttler handle in his hand ! ... LOL

Greg ... That is quite a golf cart. ... We have a basic golf cart, nothing fancy, to get around our property. It's hilly here, and a cart makes it easier to get around... It is useful for yard work too becasaue we don't have to carry stuff up and down hills.

Johnny .... We saw Ed and Julie today and they were sad to learn about Dena's cancer. .... We went to Paris for lunch.

Sherrel ..... have you heard from Ken D&J lately. I miss his posts here. Can you ask him to consider returning ?

Chet .... The custom Corvette looks great. Expensive, I bet.

Everybody ..... have a nice evening !

Last edited:
JUSTIN- Congratulations to you and your wife . May Health and Happiness be in his/your future.

Will you be putting up a Christmas tree later??

Phil

I seriously needto learn the rules of Hocley; I am with Schultz on that!

Sherrel: You're in luck. Just start watching the Kings and Ducks. There are also several AHL and ECHL teams that relocated to Southern Cali. Hockey is not hard to learn.

I actually went to work yesterday for my old employer. Besides operating a fleet of reefer trailers, they also had an excavation company and has a fleet of dump trucks and all sorts of heavy equipment. I got a phone call Sunday afternoon from the owner wanting me to run their excavator. The regular operator had gone out of state over the weekend and his truck broke down. I did not want to work, but for $75 an hour under the table, it was a deal I couldn't refuse. Guess some people will do anything for money. Over the years I have operated all kinds of heavy equipment.

Louis - There are companies that are taking a modern Corvette chassis and putting a custom retro body on the new chassis. Here's a '62 builf on a 2004 chassis. These are cool cars, but expensive. The photo you posted looks like a new Camaro with a C-1 Corvette front clip grafted on.
Later

Hey Chet!

There are many people who wpuld do anything for money, but you sir are not one of them! I'm betting that deep down you were happy to get that phone call and you had a blast running that excavator. The $75 dollars per hour gave you a good cover story for your wife. :) I bet you would have done it for next to nothing. Well done my friend.

I'm a big fan of all sorts of sports cars the Chevys have become my favorites, but at 6'8" they are not for me. If I have enough leg room, I still struggle to get out of them. It's almost as bad as getting off the floor. I would like to buy one for my son. He sold his Camaro after getting married and I know he miss it terribly.

That reminds me, when I was working for the Firestone Commercial Tire center in Baltimore. Two beautiful young ladies came in looking for a tire for their 80s convertible Z28. I was the only one working the front desk so I got the "privilege" of pulling it into the shop. It was so small I had to look over the windshield to see. It was no problem, my head would not have fit had the top not been down. One of the young girls said "you like my little brothers GI Joe driving my Barbie car"

Louis/Joe .... I enjoy your banter on the sports - keep it up. Green Bay fans can be found all over - everytime I wear my cap I always have two - three people either make remarks, or give a thumbs up. I seriously needto learn the rules of Hocley; I am with Schultz on that!

Sherrel I seldom provide anything interesting to my conversations with Boris. I usually just agree. :)

Happy Halloween!!!

Unfortuantly I have very little Halloween decorations up.

I don't even have my Peanuts Halloween train set up, but I do have lots of candy!
1540980360790.png

Today is supposed to be Partly Cloudy and the temperature is 34 degrees at the moment and supposed to be a high near 44 degrees. It's the wind at 10-15 MPH that make 44 degrees cool! Calm and 44 is shirt sleeve weather!

Sherrel: The hardest thing to do with hockey is follow the puck! It's difficult to follow at the event, let alone on TV.

Justin: Good looking baby, congrats!

ALL: I need to understand how this thread works. Who starts the new thread and when is the decision made to go to the next month? I see that there are more posts to this thread than any other. I'm not necessarily happy with that, it would seem more important to me to follow and answer specific topics than post here where any thing goes, much not having anything to do with model railroading as a topic! However, if you can't beat them, join them!

I'm aware of the history of these Coffee Shop Threads. There was an Elliot at the Model Railroader Magazine Forum who passed away and they started an Elliot's Coffee Shop in remembrance and then when Jeffery "Running Bear" passed, most of these coffee shops changed to Running Bear. Both Elliot and Running Bear where friends of mine. Although not here at this Forum. I've been fooling around with Model Railroad Forums since around 1997-98 or so.

Mark, I think they are changing it monthly now.

Glad to see you in the coffee shop, I enjoy your posts.

It would appear that you are correct, Bruette. The September Coffee Shop ended on the 1st of October.

Since it has been 25 years since we actually had Trick or Treaters here at my home, I don't catch that October 31st has any significance! My bad, Happy Halloween to y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back