Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toot- Are those birds dangerous? I'm asking because every show you see about Aussie animals everything is either dangerous, will kill you, or eat you!
Only if you were to cover yourself in honey or sugar. Although when I was up in one of the mining towns doing building maintenance, living in a trailer, the BIL stood outside with a plate containing bread in each outstetched hand and there were so many of those Lorikeets sitting on his head (fortunately he was wearing a hat) down his arms, to get to the food in the plates, eventually he couldn't hold them. SIL took some pics but I didn't get any. It's the Magpies in mating/nesting season that swoop on you, they love the Postie on his Honda bike.

1539642983458.png

Defensive armour
1539643095100.png

Good Morning All. 78° and clear here in Gulf Shores AL Back home it is 39° and raining. Good thing that I stashed firewood in the house before I left. Walked the beach for a while yesterday, along with the myriad of jellyfish that seemed to get trapped by the receding tide every morning, I spotted an octopus and a little distance away, one of our friends watched a stingray. Later I went on a successful bikini quest since our group is a "sea of cellulite". There's four young ladies staying at the house next door, and eight young couples staying three doors down. Went for supper further east in Orange Beach AL, about four miles away, at a restaurant that we've been to in the past. It's on a bay called Wolf Bay on the north side of this island. We sat on the patio and looked at yachts moored right next to the place, watched tug boats headed home for the night toward the Intercoastal Waterway and saw a switcher pushing some covered hoppers west bound on the other side of the bay.
OK, I already miss the train shed!:(

Chet - Nice shots of the steamer.
Curt - Dodged a bullet with the fuel line, no fun for sure.
Dave - Interesting video. Hope that the driver was OK. Nice start on the benchwork.
Terry - That's some awesome video. I never realized that they had turbine engines for RC planes before.
Ray - Been reading all of your posts regarding the camera. Eventually you will win this one.
David - Hello and welcome back. I also have one of those Woodland Scenics wands that I fortunately don't use much. It is mighty convenient for when I actually do.

I smell the coffee pot that the housemates have on a timer. I don't do coffee and two others (of nine) had one cup each yesterday, and the entire 40 cup machine was empty in less than two hours. Crazy!!!
OK, time to go for my morning walk. Going to walk west this morning to see what's there. Everybody have a great day.

Hi Willie, I apologize as I've often forget get back to you in the past, no offense ment. The Wood Scenics Rail Tracker hand wand is a very handy tool for HO that follows the rail very well, provided you use the cleaning pads with the groves in them, and can make dirty rail cleaning a lot easier. They even offer track cleaning fluid too. The other flat pads that are included are ment for switches and crosses. Sorry Willie, I didn't mean to make into a sales pitch but wanted to let others know about it's advantages.

Glad you enjoyed your beach vacation.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning. Picked up my truck. No apology but they say they had 2 different mechanics check the fittings. So far so good.:rolleyes:. Tomorrow a guy is coming to the house for the dishwasher repair. On Friday son and I will probably go to the range for awhile.

Today I applied a white paint wash on the wood walls (Tamiya White mixed with Blue Window Washer Fluid). I will decide tomorrow if I'm going to apply another coat. I also had to replicate a small window wall since I destroyed the original one:confused:. The windows are not glued in.

TruckDad- Nice start. Do you live in HI or just visiting?

Garry- I know. The whole episode "frosted my flakes" so to speak.

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Toot- Are those birds dangerous? I'm asking because every show you see about Aussie animals everything is either dangerous, will kill you, or eat you!

View attachment 31157

Thanks Curt, it's good to see what everyone is doing.

Fellers! I know it's been some time since I've posted last. Decided not to tackle track work over the weekend. Not by choice however. Misses wants me to clean my space. So I spent the weekend sorting through my boxes. Alot of junk I'll never use. Finally got the final hopper count I need. Total for my layout is 15. After some work I managed 15 70 and 50 ton hoppers. I have to sideline my 100 ton ones for space reasons. But they will be close at hand. Now I can move boxes I don't need out of the way. Once this task is complete I'll work my track issues. In closing. I'll share a photo of one of my favorite spots I've liked to railfan. A double track through two tunnels. Fort Springs, WV.View attachment 31159

Justin: You'd be surprised just how handy some of that junk can be! Maybe not always RR related but at other times it is or can be.

Good Morning Everyone from foggy Gulf Shores AL, where it is 74°. Back home it is 42° and cloudy, at least it's not raining. Pretty much the same thing going on here, doing a little more walking, lots of additional walking on the beach doing bikini inspection and eating a lot. Had grouper for supper last night, should have gotten the steak instead. Another marina restaurant where you can view yachts bigger than my house, and imagine their seven figure cost.
Had a "small world" phenomenon yesterday, a close friend from Dallas had noted that my wife had posted our location on Facebook and he posted back that he was here also with his new 70 YO lady friend. He called my wife's cell phone while she was in the pool, and I answered the unknown number. It was him and while we were speaking, I realized that he was out on the balcony of the house two doors down...stereo background noises! I asked him if he was the fellow with the blue shirt on out on that balcony and he totally freaked out until I told him to look down at us waving a short distance away. His lady friend was closing on the sale of that house that she and her late husband had lived in for 17 years.
Not much else happening. Today I am taking a couple of our other house guests up north of here to Foley AL to visit their historical museum, where there is a very large "O" scale RR layout that I have posted here before. It hasn't changed other than scenery refurbishment since I first found this place four years ago. Lots of animated scenes and small mini-scenes.

Ray - I liked the "rainbird" pictures.
Sherrel - I've told you before to come by and get some of this rain. My daughter said that it rained 8" at her Dallas home, so I probably got some more at home as well.
Justin - Don't be such a stranger.
David - No need to apologize. We had a recent discussion on the forum regarding track cleaning cars, and I forgot to mention the wand.

OK, for me it's time to go for the mile-long morning walk, maybe longer today to maintain my sleek although roundish physique. I smell the coffee starting in the pot for my fellow house mates, so I expect to see a few faces when I return. Already went for a dip in the pool earlier and only scooped out two sand crabs this morning. At least two of the house mates retire earlier than me in the evening and are usually up when I return.
Everybody have a great day. It's National Bosses Day which I no longer celebrate, and I miss those lunches at Luby's Cafeteria, which was all my employees were willing to spend on me!

My elecgtronic assistant is running a little slow this morning, maybe he needs some electronic coffee? He let me know today is Boss's Day. So, if you're a boss, have a good day. If you have a boss, have a good day. If you like your boss, wish him a happy Boss's Day. If you don't like your boss, remember the Ferrengi rule of acquisition #33: It Never Hurts to Suck Up to The Boss.

Ray - I liked the "rainbird" pictures.
Thanks Willie. Actually I think it was a matter of using a camera that worked, so I didn't completely give up on photography forever. I've just spent another wasted evening on this other one. Got it to record again, but getting it onto the computer and into a file in my videos folder, was another thing. Was able to watch the 2 I made at first, but when I went back again, the folder they were in was empty. The USB cable that is used to charge it, doesn't transfer files (I tried in desperation), so they don't come up on the monitor as per usual. I guess you get what you pay for. (or waste your money on)

Good morning everyone. 35 and clear out there. Almost our first frost of the season this morning. Will have to wait for a while since the local meteorologist says it's warming up to the 60s the rest of this week. On another weather roller coaster, I guess.

Took the day off work yesterday to work at home - painted a 20 X 15 bedroom and today my body is saying "What were you thinking? Get me a massage!!" Well, at least the painting is now done. Some touch-up in the bathroom and we're almost ready to move back into that side of the house.

Over the weekend we kept our 2 year old granddaughter twice and had the kids over for dinner twice. Mode progress on ascenerizing the layout around the lake area. Still plan to take some photos and post 'em.

Willie - thanks for posting the photos of your beachfront digs - I'm drooling. Chet, you'd better not drool - it'll freeze on your chin :D

First cup of coffee is gone - time to refill.
Have a good day everyone.

Just a Q for the computer wizzes. Files recorded onto a Micro SD card should be able to be tranferred to a computer via the slot for them and permenantly stored/moved to other folders etc, etc, shouldn't they. I got some peculiar messages when I tried to do that by drag and drop and then as I said above they dissapeared. I'm puzzled by the fact that there is no mention in the literature that refers to downloading to a computer. The only things said are to watch on the camera's screen or on a TV via mini HDMI cable. Surely no one sells a camera these days that can't do that.

Here's a clue, I went back to the listing and the Media Format is H.264 MOV. That sounds suss, no Jpeg?

Last edited:
Just a Q for the computer wizzes. Files recorded onto a Micro SD card should be able to be tranferred to a computer via the slot for them and permenantly stored/moved to other folders etc, etc, shouldn't they. I got some peculiar messages when I tried to do that by drag and drop and then as I said above they dissapeared. I'm puzzled by the fact that there is no mention in the literature that refers to downloading to a computer. The only things said are to watch on the camera's screen or on a TV via mini HDMI cable. Surely no one sells a camera these days that can't do that.

Here's a clue, I went back to the listing and the Media Format is H.264 MOV. That sounds suss, no Jpeg?
I've had issues with the .mov format before but thought it was just me. I downloaded some free software to convert .mov into .mpeg format but the program is on the computer back home so I can't tell you what it is right now.

.MOV I is an Apple file system. You would need something like Quicktime Player to open and play it.

I've had issues with the .mov format before but thought it was just me. I downloaded some free software to convert .mov into .mpeg format but the program is on the computer back home so I can't tell you what it is right now.
I've been looking since I wrote that at a couple of Y/tube vids. One talked about downloading via WIFI, which I see this camera has that capability, We use WIFI to connect our computers to the internet, so that may be a possibility. Whether the HDMI could be used, I'll investigate. Since I got this one there's a plethora of similar ones on ebay.com.au, at widely differing prices and seemingly different video formats to distinguish one from the other. Who knew it would be this complex?

I noticed the mob I got mine off is down to their last one. Hope all these others are more computer savvy than me.

Good Morning ! It's 38 going up to 81 they say. Sky is clear as can be. Yesterday was very windy and I guess that the SantaAnna gave the folks up north of us a great deal of misury. At least one person was killed when a tree fell on her car as she was backing out of her driveway. WOW - you just never know!

Lots on my plate today - need to start cleaning up the garage for a work assignment that I have been dragging my foot on, and in the process, take all the cans and plastic to the recycle people - I should have about $60.00 worth accumulated.

Better get humping - my boss is a task master! Says I spend too much time on the computer ... can you believe that?

Good morning. 53° and windy with sunlight! Temperature has been dropping since midnight, when it was 68°. Y 'a know? This kind of weather we've been having, can cause one to get Pneumonia. And it did! So... in spite of receiving Two separate Pneumonia Shots, one when I turned 65 and one last May, guess who Got Pneumonia?

Your truck experience sounds like it could have been disastrous. Leaking fuel lines are dangerous. .... I am reminded of an experience we hd with poor workmanship when we had a problem several yers ago. The transmission failed on our Ford Expedition. The dealer replaced it, but their mechanic did not replace all bolts to hold it in place. We were able to get it back to the dealer with some loud clunking noises.

Garry: It's been my conviction that most of the component failures on motor vehicles, are not due to poor engineering but due to the substitution of cheaper components and insufficiently qualified technical support. I normally keep a vehicle for around ten years, that is if we like the model, of course, and still do a bit of the maintenance my self. What happened to Curt, is more common than you would think. Some people have very short attention spans.

Truckdad: Great start. I still haven't finished the carpentry for a build that began in November 2016.

Toot: The use of the SD card to download photos / videos to your hard drive is faster, and doesn't arouse the update genie :eek:

I see that I'm two pages behind, so I'll have something to do later...no wonder I've been feeling so bad all week...

later.

Boris

Afternoon fellers. I suppose I should try to be less of a stranger around here. I made my first year here at Coke today. 29 more to go....I compiled my new active hopper fleet together for a photo. Excuse the mess on the layout. Its a work in progress. But I have all 15 hoppers I need for my ops on the layout up and running.
IMG_20181016_104620440.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back