Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's $900 a month. Her social security is only $1250 a month. Her copays for her insulin is $450 a month for one, $260 a month for the other. Not counting anything else.

Sorry to hear that, Terry. From what you have disclosed, it sounds like your wife qualifies for Medicaid. She should apply. Medicaid has provisions for "additional help" beyond what the general population gets. The only catch is you must be broke. Also, when it comes to this type of application, you and her are separate, not joint for determination purposes. If they deny your initial application, find a lawyer and apply again. You're renters, so the house is not a factor.

Good morning. 48° and cloudy (what else). Going up to near 60°, later on. We went straight from AC to heat twice this fall. The advantage of heat, is that it will dry out the basement train room. My basement killed another dehumidifier. New one will arrive today.

Other than that, I have been semi under the weather for the past week, due to a host of irritants. Been a week now, so it should be about done.

Have a great day.

Boris

Good morning. 29 degrees with light snow. The high is only supposed to get to the mid 30's with an overnight low in the teens. 3 to 5 inches of the white crap is expected.

20181013_075831.jpg

I don't want to be blamed for the cold weather. It comes in on us from the north or west and we wear it out a little before passing it on. I should be thanked. The forecast also has us back up into the low 60's by the middle of next week.

Willie
- Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Ray - you have a lot of accessories to sort through there. I just hope that you have enough clearance to get the camera around the layout. I had a clearance problem when I tried to puch my Cannon camcorder around the club layout. The camera wasn't as wide as yours and probably exrended around 3/16 of an inch on each side of the flat car and I was hitting scenery items too close to the tracks. It ran fine on my home layout, but couldn't run around the club layout. That's why I picked the tiny camera. Hope it works out.

Enjoyed running trains yesterday. Dragged the track cleaning car around the layout for a while before starting switching.

20181012_101650.jpg

Let these two switchers stretch their legs as they usually spend most of their time doing yard work. They are LifeLike proto locomotives probably close to 20 years old. Excellent running units and almost totally silent.

Not going over the pass tonight to the club. Think I'll sit in front of the boob tube and enjoy a few beers/

Here's a rail picture for today.

bw-railway-tracks-huntclub-woods-2014-00242-copy.jpg

Later

Chet- keep that white stuff out your way. We don't like to mention the S-word in this area before November. We had S showers on Thursday. No accumulation, but flakes were flying.

We are supposed to get back up into the 60's next week. Think we'll grill steaks next week, not tonight.

20181013_121131.jpg

Ray - you have a lot of accessories to sort through there. I just hope that you have enough clearance to get the camera around the layout. I had a clearance problem when I tried to puch my Cannon camcorder around the club layout. The camera wasn't as wide as yours and probably exrended around 3/16 of an inch on each side of the flat car and I was hitting scenery items too close to the tracks. It ran fine on my home layout, but couldn't run around the club layout. That's why I picked the tiny camera. Hope it works out.
I have a short flat car that is spare that I was planning on using, I'll cut a block of wood the same size and try that out first. It will be clearances inside the tunnels under the spiral that will cause any problems, as they were late "improvements". I can get underneath that and watch.

I think I'm just about ready to give up on cameras and videos in general. The new mini cam, I can't get to turn off and the video I uploaded to youtube from my normal camera was supposed to be done, but is only showing 2 secs of it. I'm just letting the mini hopefully run it's battery flat. There's no reset button and I think I saw a warning to not pull the battery while it's on. GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good Morning All from windy Gulf Shores AL. It's 70° and clear here. For some reason, my new phone knew that I was here and the Weather Bug gave me the weather here rather than home.:cool: Something to get used to I guess.
Made the trip with no problems, 769 miles in 10 hours 45 minutes including a one hour stop for lunch. Whoops! That's a bit over the posted speed limits! Then the last 1.5 miles took almost 25 minutes due to the Shrimp Fest traffic on the only road into or out of this place. The house that we are renting is an interesting place, maybe because I am not used to beachfront condos/houses. Our bedroom is on the fourth floor overlooking the Gulf with it's own private balcony. Top left in the picture that I posted Friday. The bathroom is larger than our bedroom at home! There's another two large bedrooms with king-sized beds on this floor. Third floor has the living quarters with a very spacious living room/dining room/kitchen, all open and includes a full width balcony. Second floor has four bedrooms with varying bed combinations including one room with four bunk beds. Two of those rooms lead to another common balcony. All bedrooms have private bathrooms and there's another one off the kitchen by the laundry room. Ground floor has the entry foyer, covered parking for four vehicles, charcoal grill, pool and expansive patio areas. There's an elevator to boot.

Ray - That walkway to the beach just passes over the sand dunes which are state-protected, they don't allow footpaths as it leads to erosion. It is actually over 125' to the waters edge, giving plenty of sand to squish between the toes. Creatures - First thing that I saw when I walked to the water yesterday, was a half dozen jellyfish in a pool stranded by the receding tide. Two were a foot across and the others were smaller. That's why we use the pool at night, which I checked out around 0400 this morning. It's about 0520 right now.
Good luck with the camera woes.
Chet - I will admit that you're keeping the snow for yourself. Thanks.
Terry - While I am not anywhere near the expert, I do believe that there are ways to alleviate the medical pressures that have fallen on your family; unless Obamacare screwed them up. Joe is correct regarding Medicaid, definitely worth looking into if you haven't already. See PM.

OK, it's time for me to go for my daily walk along the boulevard. Let's see, 1100 steps out and 1100 back is just over a mile. Let's go.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning y'all. Still not feeling 100%, but no worse either.

Terry: Medicaid is a state function, which is why it can piggyback on top of Medicare.
The requirement for qualification, is insolvency, that is your medical expenses exceed your income, generally due to disability, and that you own no marketable assets. Medicaid provides "extra help" beyond Medicare Part D for prescriptions.

Medicare and Medicaid accounts for adults are all individual accounts, no joint responsibility. Y'all really need to look in to this.

Went down to 37 this morning near by, although my thermometer shows a low of 40, time to get the plants in and the remaining peppers picked before a frost.

Willie: Enjoy your vacation, and don't let the jellyfish get ya.

Boris

We're looking into supplemental options, though every avenue seems to take "years" to accomplish. Yes, you do receive the "back" payments, if and when you are finally approved, though by the time that finally happens, you've been living in a cardboard box for 10 months.
When my wife suffered her career-ending stroke, I slowly migrated any assets out of her name, so on paper she's already destitute. That might help things move a little faster. It's now become apparent we managed to luck out when we made the decision to continue renting the house, rather than buying, when we had the chance.

Good morning. 24 degrees at ) dark thirty this morning with flurries. The overcast kept the temps from dropping into the teens.

Terry - I sure hope that you can come up with some solution for the problem quickly.

Ray
- Hate to see your frustration over the camera. Enjoyed the video on Mullan Pass. I have gone up there in the past for train watching. I still like the top of the Bozeman Pass overlooking the tunnel entrance at the top.

Willie
- Sounds like quite the house. Enjoy.

I did get a lot of time to run trains yesterday. I do like to get all of the locomotives out on the rails and let them run for a while. I had almost forgotten about my favorite little steamer. It had been sitting in the round house, out of sight. Love this little guy. Smooth as silk after over 25 years of use and almost totally silent. It was equipped with PFM sound years ago, but when I changer over to just hand held throttles, the sound was removed. Here are a few photos.

20181013_125918.jpg 20181013_130223.jpg 20181013_132731.jpg
20181013_131309.jpg 20181013_133610.jpg 20181013_133941.jpg
20181013_133627.jpg

Here's a rail picture for today.

Train-Track-Switch-1024x646.jpg

Time to get ready for the race at Talledega.

Later

Well, the interactions with relatives has already been well documented here by others, so I guess I'll just let all y'all know it is more of the same, as far as my wife's relatives. The overwhelming response from them has been "all you had to do is ask", as far as financial help. So, my wife told these relatives how much help we needed.
I don't expect to hear much more from them...

Pulled up in front of the house just about 8:15 am after stopping at a truckstop north of Bakersfield for a four hour nap - at least we missed the LA traffic on the return. I'd like to tell you more about the trip, but maybe later - I am too pooped to pop at this time.
Terry - Prayers that things start looking up for you. Joe and Willie seem to have some knowledge to help you.
I hope that they can. If I never see another 15 MPH curve sign on a mountain road, I will be happy! OH BROTHER!
Toot - Sorry for the ails with the cameras ... must not be holding your mouth correct?
Joe - hope you are feeling better - being sick as we age = not good.
Chet - when I was younger, I loved the snow. sure is pretty.
Willie - leave some shrimp for Kate and I - she wants to go back to the Gulf.

Afternoon All,

Son-in-Law came over and we were trying to figure out what was going on with my truck. While checking it out (trying to start it) there was suddenly a large spill of gas. Remember I just had the fuel line replaced. It appears that the gas line connection was never connected properly and it finally came completely off. SIL put it back on and the truck started immediately. I drove it to the previous shop, told them what happened, showed them a picture of it and left it to double check everything.:mad: I have used this shop many times without any issues like this. After coming home I did my normal Sunday chores and applied a coat of A&I on the outside of the building walls.

The skunk show was a bust. It was our first time to attend in 3 years because of other commitments. There were only about half of the average attendees and several of the normal attendees we know were missing.

Chet- Nice layout shots. So, you're blaming Canada for all our weather?

Toot- Great video. Sorry to hear of your continuing camera issues.

Willie- have fun.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hallelujah, it is risen. The first 6' of benchwork. Finally, after working full time for the last 2 months, I'm semi retired again as of last Friday. Maybe I can get back to work on the RR. But first, it's off to Ka'anapali Beach for a few days.
SHERREL Sounds like you enjoyed my half of the state. Be glad you didn't get on this Hwy 175 which takes off near Cloverdale!!
Dave
IMG_3487.JPG

Howdy ....

Willie ... Enjoy your vacation .

Toot .... Technology drives me crazy, but your experiences with the camera might be worse than what I have dealt with. Nothing is user friendly anymore in my opinion. ... I enjoyed the video of the oil train.

Curt .... Your truck experience sounds like it could have been disastrous. Leaking fuel lines are dangerous. .... I am reminded of an experience we hd with poor workmanship when we had a problem several yers ago. The transmission failed on our Ford Expedition. The dealer replaced it, but their mechanic did not replace all bolts to hold it in place. We were able to get it back to the dealer with some loud clunking noises.

Chet .... I like your photos of the switchers and of your favorite little steamer. Evidently, Logan Valley acquired a former Santa Fe 2-8-0 which was a popular brass model sold by PFM any years ago.

Terry .... I'll join Sherrel with pryers for your situation.

Sherrel ... I'm glad you are home safely.

Joe .... I hope you will be at 100% by the time you read this .

Dave Truckdad .... Looks like solid benchwork for you layout.... I watched the video. I hope the driver is okay.

Well... I did get the camera to record, after the battery went flat and then putting the other charged one in it's place. Got back into the settings and discovered how to use the display for them somewhat better (got to more). In the settings for Looping it had 1, 3, 5min options and Never. I had chosen (I think) Never. With that one changed to 5mins, I was able to turn it off. Tried a 3min video just around the house, but when I did what the destructions said to do i.e. press the record button again to stop it, it didn't (I'll have to check that again, it may have, I didn't notice, because I could still see images, moving on the screen (very small). Switching it off worked anyway. Oh yes, the resetting option is only available via the on-screen menu.

There is no instruction for uploading to a computer via the USB cable which only mentions using that for charging. Had an SD card adapter, so was eventually able to see it on the computer. Will continue to try various settings, as the EIK 4K30 resolution it was on didn't impress and the wide angle, which is "Fish Eye" makes things like door openings, posts etc appear curved. Whether the 1080P60 or 30 will change that is to be seen (literally) If it doesn't match the advertised imagery, it goes back, can't muck about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back