Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 47 and drizzling out there. Time for another cup of coffee. If Chet isn't going to get Montana to close their south door, then I guess I'd better bring in some more firewood and keep a lot of hot chocolate on hand this winter ;)

Terry - Sorry to hear that Michael affected you so soon after Florence. Even sorrier to hear about the costs being passed on to you for your wife's healthcare. Hope you are able to get the companies to come to reason.
Ray - Looks like a nice camera. Too large for a ride-through on your layout, I guess?
Willie - Don't know when you'll see this message, but safe travels, friend. Hope the Gulf Shores area is habitable after hurricane Michael.
Sherrel - that is one insanely tall tree!

Ran trains yesterday evening for a while - track seems to be clean enough that the engines did not fuss at me. Also continued scenicking the lake area and adjacent areas.

Have a good day everyone.

Instruction pamphlet. (tiny writing)
IMG_5885.JPG

Back to the camera again (a bit disjointed here, getting late), comparing sizes again, so yes too big for flatcar rides.
IMG_5874.JPG

Getting case open to remove camera. The clip to release the back cover, which is hinged along it's bottom edge, is a large black plastic piece which gets lifted up at the front above the lens, not much to get a grip of, but it does lift
IMG_5877.JPG
Release the clip from the top edge of the back cover and swing clear, so the cover can open, the camera can then be dropped out into the palm of the hand. (I love to say this in an instruction) Replace in the reverse order, hook the clip over the cover's edge and snap in place (Ooooh that felt good).

I'll now go and see how long the batteries need for their initial charge and hope to give the cam a try tommorrow.

Good morning. 27 degrees with clear skies this morning.

I have been watching the Weather Channel and looking at the destruction that the hurricane unleashed on the gulf coast. Unbelievable. Really feel bad for the folks down there. It will take years to recover.

Was on the phone earlier with Moen. The faucet we installed a couple of years ago when we renovated the master bathroom had failed and they sent the repair parts (no cost) but one of the parts was the wrong one. Their customer service person was outstanding. She realized that the wrong part was sent before I got a chance to mention it. A new part is on its was via FedEx. Nice to see a company with such good service and backing up their product.

Terry - I some the reports on the flooding up in your area. The good thing is that the storm passed through quickly. I certainly hope that you can find some assistance for the expenses for your wife. Prayers.

Ray - Nice looking camera. Love the tiny print they have for the instructions. I always have a magnifier handy. Hope to see a cab ride video soon.

Curt - The building is looking good. I always enjoy seeing your work. By the way, you weren't the only one whining about the cold weather. You had company.

Willie - You'll probably have more work to do when you return. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Here's a rail picture for today. Quite the mix of power.

30932745940_877d34dbe9_k.jpg

Nothing to do today but run trains until it's time to go bowling tonight.

Later

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and a chilly start to the day. A hair cut, the truck washed and get fuel and be ready for a trip to the cabin.

Doesn't look like a lot of railroading for me today. I'm treating the truck to a premium wash since we are picking a friend near our cabin on Saturday afternoon and his vehicles are all in showroom shape. Being in sand county, the wet sand just gets tracked into the vehicles and its hard to avoid. I think he must vacuum his vehicles on a daily basis.

Received a confirmation from Tony's Trains that my order has been shipped. It took a week to have the order processed. I wonder how Digitrax in Panama City survived Micheal? I been in several tornadoes and I can't imagine what a hurricane can be to experience. I hope for the best for those affected by the storm.

Short and sweet this morning and be back soon.

Greg

###############################

Milwaukee Transfer Cabosse Pic #2.jpg

Nice looking camera. Love the tiny print they have for the instructions. I always have a magnifier handy. Hope to see a cab ride video soon.

I might get away with it
IMG_5890.JPG

The camera lens is to the left of where the red dot is, so a conducters view, if it doesn't get knocked off. I can always replace the lever in this blokes hand, with a red flag to warn off approaching trains
IMG_5702.JPG

Morning gang! 43 degrees here in Fort Bragg this morning. Just returned from taking the puppies out for a quick one - still was dark - but the daylight is peeking about as we speak so I will have to tae them out for a longer walk in a few.
We managed to drag ourselves away from the campground at Benbow. What a nice place to stay - spacious campsites and lots of open area and wooded for the doggies to roam - off leash (as long as no others around).
So, we returned the rental car (definitely going to have to get a toad) and headed back up the road to Willits where the train station was all closed up - a chop nose GP-7/9 was on the point of a couple passenger cars sitting next to the station. Managed to take a couple photos but not sure that they are very good? Sun was in the wrong spot!

Spousal Unit wanted to make it on to Fort Bragg for the night - which we did. The road from Willits to Fort Bragg has to be the most curviest mountain road that I have ever been on - ever! I was almost seasick along with the puppies of swaying back and forth. I don;t think there was a tangent more than a few hundred yards long on the route!
Today we will start making our way down the coast - which is what the Mrs. has been looking forward too all along.

Thanks for the comments on my postings ... Curt, I would like to send you some of these temps. anymore, 43 is kkkcccoold to me! Glad to hear that you talked to Phil. Terry, praying that you will get some relief from the medical woes. Willie, Is there anything left where you are going? Toot - I think you will be in the motion picture business before long .. do we need to give you the title of "Director"? Garry - Your photos are always outstanding!
Greg -- You are running a close race with Willie on staying busy? Good to hear! Johnny -- As Al Bundy used to say, "Those are bigguuns"!
Later guys.

I been in several tornadoes
You can have one of the tornadoes we've just had out west of here yesterday if you like. Triple Supercells and 2 tornadoes seen, Tennis ball hail. One poor young woman, baby and grandmother got trapped in her car. Hail smashed through the back window into the back seat, She climbed over to protect the baby. You should have seen her back afterwards, then it smashed through the side window where her Gran was, eventually the woman and baby finished up in the front again with the baby down in the footwell with the pedals.

Some of you have asked about my vacation destination of Gulf Shores AL. Thank you for asking. The condo realtors reported via E-Mail yesterday that the property that we are renting sustained no damage or ill effects. As the crow flies, it is about 150 miles west of Panama City FL and really wasn't affected by this hurricane. All that I can find is this quote from CBS42 out of Birmingham AL.
The Gulf State Park Pier sustained some damage from the storm. Officials reported nine boards on the pathway were damaged due to rough surf. Because of this, the pier was closed today and will be tomorrow for repairs.
This pier is less than 1000' from where we usually stay, it is 1.5 miles from where we are staying this year. The only real causality in Gulf Shores is the Annual Shrimp Fest, the opening of it was delayed by 6 hours (1800 Thursday instead of 1200) because they weren't able to do adequate setup on Wednesday out of precaution. It will still be open on Saturday and Sunday while we are there. It's quite an event, with 100's of vendors of food, art, souvenirs and gifts, as well as two music stages. Easy walking distance from where we usually stay, a bit further this year.
This years hurricane is nothing compared to the storm surge through the lagoon that we witnessed last year that left some low lying areas flooded the whole time we were there. Most roads and structures are 7' - 10' above sea level and were not affected.
By the way, here's where we will be. Gulf side view.
1539359626879.png

Here's the heated pool on the first floor under the condo.
1539359698124.png

And a view from the balcony.
1539359870693.png

This house actually accommodates 18 people if needed; we're only using five of the seven bedrooms (one more than I was originally told), so we have extra room if anyone wants to join us. It also has an elevator for some of the older guests.

One of the things I love about the Western Maryland, that "run whatcha brung" attitude.
SD40-F7A-F7B-GP40 its all good!

Reminds me of the final days of the Milwaukee Road. With their deferred maintainence program, of a locomotive broke down or had problems, it was parked and anything that would run was put together to pull a train.

MILW104A-76-1003 Milwaukee, WI FP7A.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores outside this morning and then painted all the interior walls flat black. Tomorrow is the Navy's 243rd birthday and the 30th Annual Skunk show.

Thanks to Garry, Chet, and Willie and any that I missed for your kind words.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your driving and financial difficulties.

Karl- Around here Fall just means a couple more months of Hurricane season.

Toot- Good looking camera setup and sound install.

Chet- Great 1:1 shot.

Greg- Interesting photo.

Willie- Looks like a awesome location.

I hope everyone has a good night

Came up from the train room for an ice tea and will start getting supper ready before heading to town to bowl tonight. Here's a shot of the mountain peaks with the dusting of snow. A cold front is supposed to drop down from Canada and snow is in the forecast for the mountain passes. Guess I may pass up going over to the club tomorrow. I don't like driving at night any more and don't need o play on winter roads in the dark.

20181012_093614.jpg

I dun'no Willie, y' go to the beach to feel the sand between y'r toes, not swim in a pool and have a raised boardwalk out to the ocean so's you can say, "well I had a look at it".

I dun'no Willie, y' go to the beach to feel the sand between y'r toes, not swim in a pool and have a raised boardwalk out to the ocean so's you can say, "well I had a look at it".
Note the stairway down to the sand in picture #1. It's also about a 65' walk from the end of the boardwalk to the water. Pool is for swimming at night when we shouldn't be in the Gulf anyway...can't see the creatures!

Good evening,. It's clear and 67.
Looks like Fall has finally arrived. Power was restored at work around 4:30, just in time to shut everything off and head home.
Since I've never had to go begging for money before, not really sure how to go about it. I finally caved and created a gofundme, which should be in my signature. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Or, if the link doesn't work, let me know.

Back to the ikaufen camera again
I thought, as I said I'd spotted a tripod mounting plate in the pile of brackets. What I found as well was a different holder for the camera, one that allowed a freer access to it's buttons and ports without having to be removed from it, basically a clip on cradle with top or bottom screw mounting to another small piece. This also allows lateral swing if wanted.
Bits and pieces
IMG_5892.JPG

Back of clip, exposing viewer, not sure what the slip guides either side are for. Around the correct way this time too
IMG_5895.JPG

Front and USB side
IMG_5896.JPG

Other end where control buttons are
IMG_5898.JPG
The only reason to take it out of the clip now is to change the battery located under a cover in the base, had to use a flat blade screwdriver to release the catch on that, fingernail wouldn't quite do it.
Batteries are charged, hope the next post on this is a video and pics, Several settings to do now.

Good Morning Everyone. 60° and cloudy. Headed out in about thirty minutes, should stay ahead of the approaching rain.
Gotta go now, Everybody have a great weekend, I should be eating at the Shrimp Fest in Gulf Shores AL in about twelve hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back