Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an impressive NP power line up Chet, pity about the F7 being the wrong era. Someone will get a great model though.

Did you have anything like this'72 Chrysler Valiant Regal 770 Hardtop in your model lineup over there. It was said it had the largest rear quarter panel ever pressed in Australia. The alloy wheels were a factory option
1539155990792.png

1539156120241.png

One of the Intermountain OTTX flat cars that was custom painted, weathered and now I spotted in his comment, decaled as well, came up in the pictures across the page top
1539164709206.png

His username was speent, but he hasn't been "on" since 2011. I looked for TTX decals for these but couldn't find any. The laser cut real wood deck on this has really had a work over, it almost looks as though the individual boards have been gapped and split, really realistically, and how he managed to keep the stain from blending across that white one in the middle would have been hard to do, as IM didn't make the grain run lengthwise but still across, why you cant see the board joints clearly along there. Although looking at it again it looks like it was painted on after the staining.

Does anyone know what happened to him (or her)?. I have sent a PM, but no idea if it will be received or answered. You can see the logo and numbers clearly on this one
1539165618014.png

Last edited:
Did you have anything like this'72 Chrysler Valiant Regal 770 Hardtop in your model lineup over there. It was said it had the largest rear quarter panel ever pressed in Australia. The alloy wheels were a factory option
View attachment 31024
View attachment 31025
We had Valiants here Toot, but they were alot different, much more the economy car.
I do know the 70-72 Chevy Monte Carlo had the longest hood GM ever produced.

We had Valiants here Toot, but they were alot different, much more the economy car.
I do know the 70-72 Chevy Monte Carlo had the longest hood GM ever produced.
The Aussie Valiants were built on the North American "A" body platform. Manufacture in Australia started in 1964, gradually including more local content up until the VH model shown. Here's a link to the history https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/history_chrysler

Good morning everyone. 64 and cloudy out there. Rained yesterday afternoon, evening, and most of the way through the night.

Hope all you Floridians ("panhandlers"??) and Georgians are prepared for Michael. God bless - stay well.

Made some significant progress in "scenicking" the area around the lake last night. Got to take some photos to post. I was keeping a pictorial history of this layout build, but haven't kept it up in recent months.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 56° and mostly cloudy. It was 62° about four hours ago when I got up. Fall has arrived as the highest temperature in the ten day forecast is 70° on Friday. Got a bit over 2" of rain yesterday, that should be it until Saturday.
The visit with the surgeon yesterday went well. He agrees with my regular doctor that the lump in the back of my neck is just a benign cyst that he is treating with antibiotics for now, he will remove it in his office, after it shrinks down a bit in about two weeks. That's a relief since I'm not particularly fond of even visiting anyone in a hospital.
On another positive note, all of this rain is really doing the tomato and pepper plants some real good. Should start harvesting shortly after we return from Gulf Shores. Speaking of the garden, prior to leaving, I will plant next years garlic crop to be harvested in May. Nothing difficult, just take a few garlic cloves, some from the last crop and some from the grocery store (genetic diversity) and push them into the mud.
Later out in the train shed, I resumed multi-tasking. Worked a bit on that chain-link fence, I now have about 40" completed with about 20" more to go. Part of that is done already. Still have some cross fencing left to start. Did some more layout vacuuming, two days and no loose parts for the "lost & found" yet. Dusted and inspected another 16 freight cars, and of course I made some train runs. In between, I installed grab-irons on that Walther's covered hopper that I renumbered this past weekend. I actually spent five hours out there due to the rain, darn! That will change today when I resume the bathroom remodel that requires cutting wall boards outside.

Curt - I looked at the latest storm track and it does indeed look like you guys will dodge that bullet. Not so much for the folks in the Carolinas who probably haven't dried out from Florence.
Greg
Getting old is no fun.
Beats the alternative.
Terry - I am not too sure if this latest hurricane will provide you with any issues. Stay safe and dry anyway.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Waaaahoo! 40 degrees when I took the mutts out this morning; fortunately, I did bring some warm clothing for myself - and they always travel with their fur coats on. This "Southerner" not used to the colder weather anymore. We really did not do anything yesterday in the sightseeing department. At three pm we wandered over to the Benbow Inn, a 1/4 mile walk from our campground, for a couple hours and enjoyed "tea and crumpets" with the upper class (a freeby of the campground). After looking at the evening menu, it was decided that we weren't quite dressed for the occasion - a really uppty class operation ... check out benbowinn.com

GREG .. Better watch out - that bear may be hungry! Good luck with the staining.

Willie .. You have so much going on all the time -- careful, or you may have to go back to work to rest!

TOOT .. Weathering on those flat cars is really something -- looks like individual boards!

Here's a couple if anyone's interested.
Sherrel Redwood14.jpg
Sherrel Redwood12.jpg

Good afternoon. Late checking in today. Had to take the wife to work this morning because I have her car in my shop getting it ready for winter. Had to change the oil and flushed the transmission and also flushed the cooling system along with a tire rotation. Had my winter tires put on at the tire shop after dropping her off to work. I have no way to balance tires in my shop or mount tires.

Ray - Sweet looking flat car. Nice weathering job.

Sherrel - You may be enjoying yourselves too much. Thanks for the photos.

Caught some HIMicane coverage on TV. Looks like the gulf cast is really getting torn up pretty bad.

Here's my Milwaukee Road locomotives. Not many of them.

20181009_090533.jpg

The time period I model, the Milwaukee Road main line was serviced mainly by electric locomotives, but small switchers would service smaller customers away from the main line. The switcher in the middle was custom painted from a photo I took at my buddys house that serviced a grain elevator right here in Gallatin Gateway, quite close to the Gallatin Gateway Inn. The elevator burned down in 1973 which I'm sure that the railroad was happy about. The E unbit I know does not fit the scheme of what I have going on, but I just love those big E units. Just had to have one.

Here's a rail photo for today.

DawsonMTMILW.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Sat on my butt for awhile, then did the interior bracing on the 4 main walls. I added some extra on the ends because I wasn't happy with what was shown in the directions. I didn't feel like messing with all the small window boxes that go on the roof so I will do that tomorrow.

Sounds like Hurricane Michael went ashore with wind speeds of 155 mph, 1 mph less than a Cat 5.

Toot- Nice looking auto. That is some quality work on the flat cars.

Willie- High's of 70 F sounds kind low for TX at this time of year from what I remember.

Sherrel- Sounds like you and the missus are enjoying yourselves and that's a nice looking building.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening ...

We went to Nashville yesterday and spent the night. This morning, Shelley flew from there to Michigan and I returned home to take care of stuff.

I was sorry to hear about all of the destruction caused so far by the hurricane.

Sherrel .... Benbow Inn looks like a great place to vacation.

Chet .... I certainly like your photos of the NP locos and the MILW locos.

I'll add a picture of an NP ABA consist to Chet's excellent photo of his NP power.

44324224075_ea1ac1fa86_b.jpg

Good morning, everyone. 42 and cloudy out there. Slept with the window open, but closed it halfway through the night, and had to put the heat on for 10 minutes this morning to take the chill off - - first time to fire up the heaters this season!

Chet - Can you get the Montana highway patrol to close the state's south door - - it's getting chilly around here:eek:
Willie - Safe travels to Gulf Shores tomorrow.
Terry and other east coast folks - stay dry and safe!
All you Floridians affected by Michael - prayers for all of you

Continued scenicking the lake area, ballasted some track, and put in a dirt road to the lake recreational area. Gotta take some photos and post 'em.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 50° and clear. Brrrh! This is almost 20° below the average low for this time of year. Our average high is 89° and we're not even supposed to reach 70° for the next ten days. Whatever happened to fall? This must be some of that global warming. No rain here, we got ours last week.
Spent about two hours working on the bathroom remodel yesterday, then spent another hour putting all of the tools/implements away for vacation. Today I'll change the oil and filter in the car after making the grocery/beer trek. No perishables today unless we're taking them with us. There's a pretty nice Publix grocery store in the Gulf Shores area that will supply most of our requirements.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did something that I had never done before. Chet has posted several times that he likes to run a train in a loop while he works on his layout. Now that I have the "not-yet-removable" bridge in place, I decided to try it out. No opinion pro or con yet. I'll try some more when I get back. Still making slow progress on the fence and I continued dusting and vacuuming a part of the layout that's on a different level than the running train.

Sherrel - Wow! That Inn looks really nice. I glanced at the menu. Those prices would drive me away. $12 for a Caesar Salad and $44 for a small Ribeye! Four people could eat at Pellegrino's near here for that price, and all would have to-go boxes! From a different perspective, a meal for two there would cost about as much as I spend in a week at the grocery store for a weeks worth of stuff, and that includes beer/wine!
Willie .. You have so much going on all the time -- careful, or you may have to go back to work to rest!
Not a chance! They were especially glad to get rid of my salary among other things.
Curt -
Willie- High's of 70 F sounds kind low for TX at this time of year from what I remember.
You're exactly right. See above. I would have to fire up the wood-burning heater by Saturday if we weren't leaving; it would be three or four weeks earlier than normal.
Johnny - I'm with you on closing the door in Montana.

Everybody have a great day, National Sausage Pizza Day.

We've been having storms roll through the last few days, nothing comparable, but a couple of cells formed up together out west with Tornado like winds and golf to tennis ball hail. We got some mighty bangs this arvo, with one right overhead with a red flash and single boom. Lots of trees wires and rooves/ farm sheds damaged. Crops lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back