Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 32 degrees with an expeted high in the mid 40's again.

Terry
- Happy that things worked out for you. Personally, I would never even think of heading to town on a black Friday. Not a chance in the world. I imagine that I will be down in the train room running trains.

Sherrel -
Can't believe all of the carnage that the California fires have caused. Hope you are not in any danger. You should throw those beans up into the wind and send them to the coast. Interesting photo of the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee road trains. Heading west from Butte, MT, the two lines pretty well ran right next to each other up to the Saint Regis area. Today you can see the MRL/BNSF tracks running tight along side the old Milwaukee Road right of way. Tunnels are still there along with a couple of the old power houses for the electric locomotives. Nice photo. In this photo, the Northern Pacific tracks pass under the Milwaukee Road trestle at Saint Regis. The old bridge is still there over the Clark Fork River
Crossing the Clark Fork with a dead box cab.jpg
. The interstate crosses over the river just north of the bridge.

Louis - Liked the photo of the trolley. Cool.

Johnny - Sounds like a lot of work moving all of the furniture. At least you have your master bedroom back.

Going to meet some friends for breakfast shortly. Have to stop by the bank, hardware store aand small engine shop so I will visit my old boss and let him buy.

Here's a rail picture for today.

ebd0a8afeafe1d459c84ab846b22403a.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and seasonal here in this part of Wisconsin. Snow is expected for Friday night.

A few items that I must do before lunch and then the train room. Boy, I can't believe Thanksgiving is a week away from now.

Willie: Do you have room for a couple more people at your Thanksgiving table?

I wanted a logo for my Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad and I like the designed of the logo from the former Minnesota, Northfield & Southern. Ron Chant from the Railroad Lines Forum help design my new logo and with his help now have a new logo. I plan on patching 12+ ore cars for the CM&NR. Here's the new logo.....

CM&NR Logo November 15, 2018 Free.jpg

Now I have to get some decals made......

Short and sweet for now.

Thanks.

Greg

#####################################

Nice looking Logo there, GREG!

Late Morning to all sleeper setters! Puppy dog was at the VET for 6 hours - 12pm to 6pm. On the outside of her leg they localized the wound that was left open from AZ - where they thought "we" could get by without stitches and a drain - and placed a couple stitches with a drain. She is now wearing a "tee shirt" as well as her fashion headgear. The T-shirt helps protect the area and provides a place to catch any drainage from the wound. So far she seems to be doing much better as far as resigning to the fact that she has to have the collar, and seems to me that her leg is not bothering her as it did before. We are back to ground zero starting over with the 10 -14 day healing period. Saturday I will take her back to have the drain removed if things go as planned.
The VET brought tears to my eyes during the exam! A lump has appeared on Foxie's left shoulder right where it joins the neck about a year back. I asked the VET if she could give me a "best guess" about it - but that I did not want to test it. She confirmed my fears that it is a cancer growth and not a "fatty lump". I told the VET that with her age (just shy of 13) that surgery and/or treatment was not an option and she agreed with me. I'm still having a tough time dealing with it even though she still could make it for another few years - sometimes life just sucks!
Forget the Beer -- I'm gonna find the Whiskey Bottle today - enough is enough!

Forget the Beer -- I'm gonna find the Whiskey Bottle today - enough is enough!

Sherrel: Have one for me too. Sorry to hear about Foxie's cancer, in addition to her wounds. The news sucks.

Now I have to get some decals made......

Greg: Nice logo. I like it.

Chet: Nice photo of the MILW motors.

Surprise! We were not supposed to get any snow or sleet from this event. But the temperature is back down to 33° and it's snowing with a coating on the ground. :mad:

Afternoon All,

Finished up on the last pre-Thanksgiving project:D. Can I get a Hallelujah? Today all I did in the layout room was cut out plastic shapes to building dimensions so I can start doing some planning. My wife is making homemade spaghetti sauce for supper tonight:).

Louis- You're decorating sounds like quite the spectacle.

Joe- Shhh...don't tell my wife that it will never be done!

Chet- Nice photos. Are those Little Joe's?

Greg- Nice RR logo.

Karl- You got that right.

Sherrel- I am very sorry to hear about Foxie. I will lift one for you also.

This is the siding that I'm redoing.

20181115_143443-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon ....

I am falling behind reading all of your interesting posts.

Sherrel..... I'm sorry to hear about Foxie. ... Our pets are part of our families..... Also, I like the picture of the MILW electric and the NP Challenger.

Chet..... That is a great photo of MILW electrics on a bridge.

Karl ... How is the puppy doing ?

Greg ... Your logo looks perfect for a mid-20th Century railroad. Nice !

Curt ... Your siding project looks good, but your photo is small.

The North Coast Limited on the CB&Q....

Last edited:
Curt -- Are you talking about siding on a building, or a RR siding?
What is it that you are not liking about the ice house?
Signed: Confused in CA.

Good evening guys,

4-5 inches of snow today, followed by cold drizzle.........oh joy

Garry, The pup's doing fine, got his first chance to see snow today, his reaction was hysterical!

Sherrel Sorry to hear of Foxie's prognosis. Prayers for the best.

And in the spirit of the upcoming season, this pup has gotten it right!
Snoopy.png

Oh, and a track pic! ;)

Railpic.jpg

Nite all!

kARL - yOU HAVE OUTDONE YOURSELF!
The cartoon and the photo cheered me up - LAW'D Have Mercy!
Sure knocks the pants off Chet's track photo with weeds between the rails ... LOL

Sherrel, I am so sorry to hear the news about Foxie. One of the saddest things in life is how short our pet lives are. Years ago when my 14 year old Dalmatian, Mickey's kidneys failed the vet told me. "10 years is fortunate, anything over 10 is a bonus, especially with mid-large size dogs". Knowing that does not help much, but it does help to put things into perspective.

The tears welling in my eyes are proof that the loss is never forgotten, but with the passing of time the sad memories are pushed aside by all the of the happy memories.

We can't dwell on the inevitable. In reality the time is short for all pets. Same goes for us as well. We should all enjoy each and everyday and try not to concern ourselves with things beyond our control.

My heart goes out to you, God be with you my friend.

Good morning everyone. 34 and sunny - absolutely beautiful day in store, hitting upper 50's. Saturday looking nice, too. Forecast for next week is looking really nice, with 60 and mostly sunny for Thanksgiving day!! :D

Well, we got the big furniture moved back into the remodeled master bedroom, and had our first night of sleep there in 5 months. Got some more small stuff to bring in, pictures to put up on the wall, etc. Still have to paint the remodeled guest bathroom down the hallway, but that won't take long. Want to get that done in time for Thanksgiving guests. A little sore from all the heavy lifting, but not too bad.

I see country music legend Roy Clark died. I'm no country music fan, but for those of you who are, condolences.

A couple of friends and I are going to the Stryper concert here in town this Sunday evening. (Stryper is a heavy metal Christian rock band. Been around since '83, and still rockin') Saw them on election day 2016 in St. Louis, and now they're coming here. Boys' night out (without adult supervision) ;). Doing a Meet & Greet with the band, too, like we did two years ago. Will be great to see their new bass player, Perry Richardson (formerly of the glam rock hair band FireHouse) in action. I imagine I'll come to work Monday morning saying "HUH? HUH? SAY THAT AGAIN, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" It will be worth it! Will post a photo or two next week.

Hope to get down to the train room tonight. Been too long without running them.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 39° and clear, sunny and beautiful. Perfect fall day yesterday, upper 60's, sunny, calm; we'll get a repeat today and tomorrow. After the grocery/beer trek, I spent much of the day with the saw cutting "shiplap" boards for the bathroom remodel. Two walls are completed, working on the alcove right now, lots of short boards; can't finish the bottom half of the last wall until my wife gives the go-ahead to remove the vanity and toilet. Elsewhere on the estate, I removed two five-gallon buckets of ashes/embers from the wood burning heater, I'm good for about another month even if I have to use it every day. Later I attached the grass catcher to the tractor and shredded/vacuumed the initial leaf drop from some of the yard. Everything gets recycled into the garden along with those wood ashes.
Late in the afternoon I was able to head out to the train shed but only ran an extended switching run that took almost 90 minutes.

Karl - I know what you mean, "snow days" were unheard of when I went to school.
Chet - Your recent NP/MILW pictures are rather nice. Both RR's were too far north for me to ever see. In this area, before all of the mergers, I used to see bright shiny ATSF, SLSF, MKT and KCS equipment. On the other end I saw dirty unwashed SP and MP locomotives. In between were the SSW, T&P and FW&D locos. All of these roads were within a thirty mile radius and offered rail watchers loads of action. There was a couple more that I just cannot remember right now.
Greg -
Willie: Do you have room for a couple more people at your Thanksgiving table?
Always room for a couple more. We had 46 a couple of years ago, all descendants (with spouses) from my parents. As the oldest male, I am the patriarch of the family, a sometimes nebulous honor. I cannot remember the names of most of the third generation. There's now 11 first generation, 29 second generation and 14 third to keep up with.
That's a great looking logo.
Sherrel - Sad and glad to read the news about Foxie, especially since I met him.

Today is National Fast Foods Day, if you dare. I have personally never in my life eaten at a McDonalds and don't ever intend to. Now Whataburger on the other hand sees me about 4 or 5 times a year. Arby's maybe twice a year.
Everybody have a great day.

Another Late Morning from me even though I have been up for almost 4 hours?

Louis - Thank you for the kind words - They are most appreciated.

Also - Thanks to all of you for the same.

Willie - We have In-and-Out burgers which are my favorite out here, but I would trade you for a Whataburger any day and twice on Saturday! I sure would like to have a visual of that bathroom you are working on; sounds like a whole lotta work?

Johnny: Five months on a bedroom re-model? Whole houses have been built in less time!
Enjoy the concert - I am a Country Fan, never did like "metal" music, just not my cup of tea, I think my son turned me off of it during his teanage years up to the time he left home with the walls and ceilings vibrating in the house.

The winds are finally back to normal around here with a high forecast of 75 today. I made a start on cleaning up the yard again - that tree will go this winter. I hear that a couple of low pressure systems are approaching from the NW. I hope they bring some much needed moisture in the State.

That's all for the moment.

Good morning. 44 degrees to start off the day with snow in the forecast. the temp has dropped to 38 with light rain. Should be a fun drive to town for bowling tonight.

Greg - Like the logo.

Curt - Like the meat packing plant. Nice work. The locomotives on the left are the Little Joes and the box cabs behind them are EF-1's. Had the pleasure of riding in both of them when I was a kid.

Garry - Sure like the NP observation car. Would be nice to see some company produce one in HO scale.

Karl - You got me with your rail photo. Sweet.

Sherrel - So sorry to hear about Foxie. We are dog lovers and they sure become part of the family. One of our doxie's is coming up on 15 years old. He is still active, but his hearing and sight is going down hill. We call him Mr Loyal. All we can do is make them comfortable in their later years. It is such a loss when they go.

Johnny - Your master bedroom sounds like it is nearing the finish line. Hope you enjoyed using fir the first time in months. I know the feeling after doing a 2 year remodeling on out home recently.

Think it's time to visit the train room for a while.

Here's a rail photo with a train on it. Can't top Karls.

42993912892_1a43c45f1b_k.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back