Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone.....Sun's out and cold here in this part of Wisconsin.

Not much to report today....

Chet: As much as I would like to stick to my era...I can't since I addicted to diesels. There's nothing like the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning. The Milwaukee, Troy & Racine Dash-8 was a locomotive I wanted ever since I arranged a tour of Kalmbach Publishing several years ago and we had a tour guided by Jim Hediger. Two and hours of pure modeling railroading experience by a man who truly enjoyed his work.

When I run a train I try to keep the train parts in the same era. Locomotive, rolling stock and caboose close to the correct period. But, when vsitors come they didn't care or realize that the cars with roof walks do't belong in a train with a FRED.

Raincoat2: The camera with free shipping and a 32 GB card was under $30.00 from Amazon.

Bruette: Didn't Earl Scheib's workers use string mops to apply the paint?

A little computer time, watch the DJIA drop and then trains.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

Good Afternoon All,

I officially finished the painting projects for Thanksgiving this morning. I have one more project to do outside then I am done, except for cleaning of course, cutting and edging the grass among other things .:rolleyes:

Greg- Nice layout scene.

Chet- Nice video. I don't believe my older Polaroid Cube has the 5 minute limit. You have too much white stuff there and nice track photo.

Louis- I think we can all sympathize with your day. I hope your bicep heals quickly. Neat kit.

Karl- :D That's what puppies do.

Sherrel- I know it's like I live in CAo_O.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hmmm...

After several years of being closed the day after Thanksgiving because we have zero business, management has decided, without telling any of the employees, that we are going to be open the day after Thanksgiving. A guess is, the commission employees (sales department) want the opportunity to sell a travel trailer to the one person that may show up to buy a bag of toilet tank treatment.
Of course, many of us had plans for the weekend, such as traveling or visiting family, b ut that’s not important. I remember going over the sales figures for that day in the past, efore the decision was made to close, and if we brought in a hundred bucks, it was a lot. And payroll for the hourly employees was several thousand dollars.

I wonder, could Bob get rid of all the other topics except General Discussion and the ANPL Coffee Shop? If he did, how many members would he loose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder, could Bob get rid of all the other topics except General Discussion and the ANPL Coffee Shop? If he did, how many members would he loose?
No sooner than you posted this, but the Coffee Shop was abandoned!:eek: That was over thirteen hours ago!
I respectfully disagree though. It does seem slow right now, but I would point out that 36 different threads had new posts since Saturday, and yesterday alone there were new posts in five different threads under "Locomotives and Rolling Stock".
That being said, retention rate is rather dismal at times. The whole forum is littered with "one-time only" posts. This forum is not alone in that respect, I'm on another one that has less participation than this one.

Bruette: Didn't Earl Scheib's workers use string mops to apply the paint?

Greg, I don't know what they used, but looking at their work up close made me walk away. The string mop may have been an improvement!

Louis- I think we can all sympathize with your day. I hope your bicep heals quickly. Neat kit.

Curt, "Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall" Ella Fitzgerald I does me no good, crying like a professional soccer player.

It's already healing. It was itching last night. My arm feels much better this morning, thank you.

Hmmm...

After several years of being closed the day after Thanksgiving because we have zero business, management has decided, without telling any of the employees, that we are going to be open the day after Thanksgiving. A guess is, the commission employees (sales department) want the opportunity to sell a travel trailer to the one person that may show up to buy a bag of toilet tank treatment.
Of course, many of us had plans for the weekend, such as traveling or visiting family, b ut that’s not important. I remember going over the sales figures for that day in the past, efore the decision was made to close, and if we brought in a hundred bucks, it was a lot. And payroll for the hourly employees was several thousand dollars.

One of these days the owner is going to get smart and make you the General Manager. Then he can go fishing or what ever he likes to do and have more time to count his growing profits. I think the problem is it takes an intelligent person to recognize another intelligent person and an open mind to recognize an even more intelligent person then ourselves.

Although I can sympathize with the salesmen. Long ago when I first started out as service manager with the General Tire I pleaded with the store manager to stay open longer on Saturdays. He finally gave into me, but I made it work. If we were running out of work I would work the phones and bring in additional work to keep the hourly employees busy. I also got a bonus program instituted and flexible hours for the hourly employees. Everybody was happy.

Good morning gang,
34 degrees and cloudy out there.
Puppy got neutered yesterday he's slowly moving around the house with the cone of shame on. He looks goofy but I bet he gets good radio reception.
As far as Forum activity is concerned it may be slow now, but wait till after Christmas. You won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a new post.
Later guys it's off to work I go.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 40. The company has been in business since 1963, and in all that time we've sold exactly one travel trailer on Black Friday. To a family that burned their house down on Thanksgiving while trying to deep fry a turkey.

I respectfully disagree though. It does seem slow right now, but I would point out that 36 different threads had new posts since Saturday, and yesterday alone there were new posts in five different threads under "Locomotives and Rolling Stock".
That being said, retention rate is rather dismal at times. The whole forum is littered with "one-time only" posts. This forum is not alone in that respect, I'm on another one that has less participation than this one.

My original post was simply a comment on what appears to be happening here at the "Model Railroad Forums". Also I wonder how many of those posts in five different threads, where made by Yours Truly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Everybody!

Great day yesterday; Ace bandage rapped tightly enabled me to improve the use of my arm. The dishwasher is installed and I spent the remainder of the afternoon on the couch watching TV until it was time to go get my grandson. I have another dishwasher to install in the upstairs kitchen. I hope it goes as smooth. That one is on back order and my wonderful wife said "don't worry about it until the holidays are over.

I was very impressed with the Spanish guys who delivered my dishwasher and put it in my basement kitchen/family room/utility room I love this big basement! These guys made short work of it. I had more trouble getting the empty box out of the basement then they did bring the dishwasher in. From the time they rang the door bell to the time they were pulling away could not have been much more than 10 minutes. I love it when I get professional and courteous service!

The bad thing about yesterday is I need to start a new streak of not blowing up. I did great installing the dishwasher, but not so good when I stopped at Royal Farms on the way to get my grandson. This idiot raced into the parking lot and pulled straight in front of my van only missing me by inches! if I don't slam on the breaks I would have hit him for sure.

I got out of my van and said in a not so polite way "What is wrong with you?" The little man got out and argued back at me! Then he stepped towards me in an aggressive manor. I said "now I know you're stupid!" We continued on and on until I finally said "ok it's obvious I'm arguing with an idiot, this is a waste of time" and I turned my back on him and walked into the store. When I came out of the store the woman that was with him moved over to the driver seat. I'm guessing he did not even have a license and was worried I had called the police.

The company has been in business since 1963, and in all that time we've sold exactly one travel trailer on Black Friday. To a family that burned their house down on Thanksgiving while trying to deep fry a turkey.

Why did you have to tell me that? Now I feel guilty for laughing.

Bruette, Sometimes I wonder if there are far more idiots than non-idiots in this world?

1542198815228.png

#26 Baltimore streetcar to Sparrows Point on Eastern Ave & Grundy in 1952

Good Morning All. 21° and clear out there this morning. Heavy frost is present. Starts to warm up today, maybe 50°, and then three days in the mid to upper 60's before the next cold front comes barreling down this way. There's nothing in Nebraska, Kansas or Oklahoma to block them on the way down. At least the cats have finally adjusted to the time change and are waiting until daylight before pawing at the back door. Or maybe it's just warmer in the barn right now. Not a lot went on yesterday, I went back to the surgeon for a follow-up on the cyst removal and sat in the waiting room for an hour and fifteen minutes before my less than ten minute consultation. Lab results were negative so that news was good. Add to that the hour and a half round trip and the afternoon was pretty much shot.
Another day in the train shed spent only running trains because that's why they are there.

Chet - Since all of the current work on the bathroom project requires sanding, cutting and trimming wood which I do outside, all is on hold for a few days. I'm not in a real hurry since we have very few visitors in our remote outpost that we call home. The master bathroom is already done so my wife isn't in a hurry either. She is the painter for the project so her part hasn't come up yet. She is busy Christmas shopping.
Johnny - You're becoming a real wordsmith! "Scenicating" huh? Twice in two days!;)
Greg -
When I run a train I try to keep the train parts in the same era. Locomotive, rolling stock and caboose close to the correct period. But, when vsitors come they didn't care or realize that the cars with roof walks don't belong in a train with a FRED.
My brother pulls autoracks and containers with GP7's and occasionally with a steamer.
Terry - Our plant was always closed for the week between Christmas Day and New Years Day for over 50 years. The new management team (imported from out of state) decided in 2013 to work that week. Oooops! No customers placed orders because most of them in the South were also closed that week as well as many of our suppliers. Kinda backfired on them and they had to renege and only worked two days on future orders, which in turn screwed up their work schedule in January.
Karl -
Puppy got neutered yesterday
That will teach him not to chew up computer cables...maybe!
Louis - Glad to read that you're doing better.
Idiots are indeed are all around us. But I think that there are more in CA and DC than anywhere else. Speaking of idiots, I hear that an unemployed congresswoman-elect who cannot afford an apartment in DC is looking to see if she can write a law to make the Electoral College tuition-free for all. Seems like it is a free for all to begin with!
Mark
I wonder how many of those posts in five different threads, where made by Yours Truly?
Partly correct, but I won't count them. There's many prolific forum members who don't visit the Coffee Shop at all, Iron Horseman, Wombat, Trailrider, KB02 to name just a few. Their posts are on many other threads and topics and are always informative as well.

Time for me to move on for a bit and make room for others here. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning .....

It's hard to find time to work on my coal mine project on the layout. .... Yesterday we attended a funeral in Tennessee.... Now, I'm leaving in a few minutes for another costly dental appointment. ...Getting ready for T-Day next week.... Always something.

View attachment 31775
#26 Baltimore streetcar to Sparrows Point on Eastern Ave & Grundy in 1952

Louis .... Nice of you to include the Coffee Pot in the background !
'

I'm hoping it's because the idiots are far more noticeable.

You may be on to something, Louis. Yesterday, we made the monthly trip to Costco. The rain had ended, but everything was still wet and it looked threatening. Traffic was light, and the store was not crowded. But, the idiots were out in force.

Terry: I understand the need for retail to remain open on the day after Thanksgiving, to catch the wave of shoppers seeking the mythical deals on closeout merchandise, but not in your business. Your market is folks who have time for leisure activities, not the stressed working folks who have to score on a black Friday deal of a lifetime. We fit your demographic, but we don't venture out on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Reminds me of the time my crew, (WJSA31), had to work on the day after Thanksgiving. Conrail's marketing department was tracking a "delayed enroute" flatcar load of lumber, and the salesman flagged the car as place on arrival. The Friday after Thanksgiving is a paid Holiday, so we were paid 2½ times our normal rate of pay to work. We signed up at the usual time of 7PM and coupled to our train which consisted of a GP38, and a single bulkhead flat car of lumber for the Team track at Lakewood. The temperature was an unseasonable 70°+ with a wind blown rain. Upon arrival at Lakewood, we placed the car on the siding from the South end, then ran back to the North End to couple to the three outbounds. As we pulled, the rail spread under the middle outbound, derailing the car. We ended leaving the outbounds, and returning lite engine to Browns Yard.

Eight hours, thirty minutes at time double time and a half for three people, one car placed, another car derailed, nothing accomplished. The customer did not even unload the car until Monday, as they were closed for the Thanksgiving weekend, (Wholesale Lumber Distributer). Te sales guy, got his "attaboy", we made some extra money, but our four day weekend was disrupted, and the company had to spend money for a crew, block truck and trackmen on the following Monday.

Today is sunny, with temperatures in the upper thirties. We are expecting some snow and sleet on Thursday.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back