Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's mostly clear and 34.

Louis, if you ever have a couple of hours to spend waste watching a movie, there is a movie starring Dennis Hopper called Space Truckers. Yeah, it was that bad. So bad, it was almost good. Almost.

Good morning y'all. 24° and clear.

Garry: Nice tree and trains, and one well behaved kitty.

Boris

Greetings fellow earthlings!

Milwaukee Road 113 - Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Last that I remember you were displaying a handful of Milwaukee cabooses. How's that collection coming. along?

Nothing much has happened there unfortunately....not stopped looking though!
No wait....I've got three Milwaukee Road GP9's at one of my closest friends in Sweden, he's an Erie Lackawanna fanatic!

At the moment, I'm trying to find a half decent slide scanner, without having to use a CD-rom, my laptop doesn't seem to like them! lol

Thought that I'd pop in, before some shuteye for tonights work....

I hope that you're all doing well!

Happy Veteran's Day to all my Brothers in Arms. Sorry I am a day late, yesterday was a busy day. I can't believe I have been out of the U.S. ARMY for 46 years! It seems like it was last week. While in, all I could think about was getting out. Once out, I realized that the time I served had changed me for the better. I have much more of a world view than my contemporaries, who did not serve. I am absolutely astounded by the World War Two vets, who without trepidation answered their countries call! We are all deeply in debt to their sacrifices!!

Louis, if you ever have a couple of hours to spend waste watching a movie, there is a movie starring Dennis Hopper called Space Truckers. Yeah, it was that bad. So bad, it was almost good. Almost.

Terry, I've seen more than one movie that was bad, but still fun to watch. I'll search for that on comcast.

Motel Hell comes to mind, but it did have Rory Calhoun in it.

I seldom like the Oscar winners. That reminds me of a movie reviewer who said "The movie was good, but it didn't bring anything new to the genre" I can't remember the movie, but I know to change channels when her reviews are coming up.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 41° and misting, wind out of the north. Temperatures are supposed to drop into the mid-20's overnight, but it looks like the rain drizzle will cease by noon. The 30 mph wind should dry everything out by nightfall. Brrrh! Might have a chance to walk after lunch sometime.
Got a little more bathroom remodeling done yesterday afternoon. I was able to remount the medicine cabinet and light fixture along with attaching another row of boards. Moved firewood into the house; it burns better when dry although it only really gets wet on the outside! I also did the less than pleasant task of removing ashes from the wood burning heater while the fire was still going.
Out in the train shed, I redid part of my cursed chain-link fence. CA glue failed me. I had planned to do some ballasting this weekend but never got to it. I did however paint random ties different shades of brown and gray as replacement ties were randomly done it my modeling era. I continued with the placement of additional figures.

David - Glad to read that you are located a safe distance from the current wildfires in CA. Stay safe on that roof.
Greg - Those neighbors are really into the "back to the earth" lifestyle. While I grow about 65% of my vegetables, I still rely on Kroger to fill in. I no longer raise my own meat animals although I did for many years.
Garry - I didn't realize there was any value in the old horn-hook couplers either. I saved them all anyway over the years and used some for scrap loads. And then I spoke with this particular dealer at a train show. I returned the following year with a zip-lock bag full and he bought them. He also purchased some plastic wheelsets but I don't remember how many or how much I made. Nice looking Lionel trains and a seemingly well behaved kitty.
Louis - I don't really know what percentage of bands used the stacks of Marshall amps, but it seems like all of them did. You always knew that a concert was going to be loud when you walked into the arena and saw this being set up on stage, behind each band mamber
1542026950028.jpeg
600 × 460

Trivia: Jim Marshall built the first amps in response to requests from Pete Townshend (Who) and Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow), neither of whom were satisfied with what was available at the time.

Uh oh! Today is "National Happy Hour Day ". Be careful on the roads later on. It's also Veteran's Day Observed, so a second chance to thank all veterans.
Everybody have a great day. Stay warm.

Thanks Willie, I couldn't think of a single show I had seen that did not have Marshalls Great trivia, I did not know that! Thanks again and keep the trivia coming!

Greg, I meant to put this song in my reply to you. Karl will probably like it as well, not his favorite Rainbow singer, but I think he will like it.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 39 and about to snow out there. Predicting a couple of inches - won't stick to roads until this evening, making the drive home dicey. Oh well. By the way, we did get down to 17 degrees Saturday morning, making for a brisk weekend!!

Greg - what brand mini camera did you get from Amazon? I'm still looking for one on the cheap. Yours sounds good. How does it perform?
Willie - About the weather that comes our way - Chet sends it here so fast it doesn't have time to calm down. And some of our weather comes from your direction. So I guess I should thank both Chet and you :rolleyes:
Louis - Deep Purple - great group, in spite of all the lineup changes they've had over the years.

Belated Happy Veteran's Day to everyone who served. Saturday our granddaughter invited us to a Veteran's Appreciation dessert and choir concert at her school. Free food, several choirs, and the male and female JROTC drill teams performed. Very nice. Sunday after church we got in on one of the local restaurants honoring veterans with a free meal. Then spent the rest of the day working around the house.

From the train room - did some scenicating and ran trains for a while. That fire lookout tower is so small and fragile (Busch product) that I broke one of the stilts that hold it off the ground and had to come up with a replacement. If it doesn't look so good, I may trash it.

Time for more coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 10 degrees to start the day. Clear skies and we may get above freezing by the afternoon. We did get a couple of inches of snow over the weekend, nothing major. No need to plow.

The bowling tournament went pretty good. I couldn't get it together in singles, but my friends wife and I were in 2nd place in doubles and in team we all got out poop in a group and were in first by 160 pins. One more shift to go when we left.

Louis - Great photos from the B&O Museum. Thanks for posting. I would love to get there in person.

Greg - Nice job on the weathering. Just a few hundred more to go. Waiting to see what you come up with, with the new camera.

Garry - Does the cat try to ride on the train????

MR113
- Nice to see you in the Coffee Shop. It's been a while.

I'll have to try to catch up on the post from the past few days. The tournament kept my busy. Also have to let my right arm return to it's normal length. I think it's a few inches longer than the left.

Here's a rail picture for today.

17_0003494_043032.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Everybody ..... Thanks for commenting on my photos of the Lionel train and Christmas tree.... The glass cabinet in the background holds some of my wife's very large collection of Hummel figurines. ... Sassy, the cat, likes watching the train going around the tree. Our other two cats keep a distance when the train is running.

9:30 and snowing like crazy out there!!! Good-bye, summer (and fall). Not sticking 'cause the ground and roads are too warm, but it will accumulate later this afternoon as temps drop. Next two nights will be in the teens. More snow possible on Thursday. Gee - - might as well live in Montana :rolleyes:

Had our first fire in the fireplace this weekend. Looks like we'll be doing that some more this week.

Happy Veterans Day to all those who have served!
It's 47 going to 73 today - present humidity is already at 13% and winds are east at 25 -35 gusts this morning. Fire Danger is HIGH.

We have been placed on notice that our power may be shut off during the day due to the high winds and the chance of downed power lines.
Here is an oldie of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis #36 before joining the SLSF.

1542038015350.png

Johnny - I believe that the camera on Amazon is the same one I picked up.

20180809_173022.jpg

I didn't realize that when I bought it, it only recorded in 5 minute segments. It records in 1080 p which is a suprise. I had to download a FREE video editing program to splice the 5 minute segments into one 15 minute video. The program worked great, a seamless 15 minute video if out club layout.

By the way, out snow did stick. Think it's time to deposit the hanging plants in the trash. Can't believe that they lasted into November.

20181112_092957.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back