Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry - Business forecasting and financial planning?? Did not know that about you. Sounds interesting, to say the least. Yes, Fox Business News and Bloomberg are useful shows. I like your advice: Don't be gullible; be skeptical.

Everyone - No matter who you vote for, get out and vote tomorrow (if you haven't done it already)!!!

Garry - Business forecasting and financial planning?? Did not know that about you. Sounds interesting, to say the least. Yes, Fox Business News and Bloomberg are useful shows. I like your advice: Don't be gullible; be skeptical.

Everyone - No matter who you vote for, get out and vote tomorrow (if you haven't done it already)!!!

Johnny. ... It was very interesting at the railroad. I was working mostly for Grand Trunk Westen which is owned by CN. Half of GTW’s carloads were General Motors shipments. Over 100,000 annual carloads of parts went to all GM assembly plants in North America. So, we would forecast the number of vehicles produced at each assembly plant prior to forecasting carloads to each assembly plant. We also forecasted carloads of vehicles shipped from assembly plants served by GTW.

Afternoon All,

I survived my VA appointment today. My BP is slightly elevated so I have to record my BP everyday and my doc will call me on the 26th for my results. After getting home I did some chores then finished putting on the shingles except for the trim work. The roof is glued to the roof card but not the building. I pulled a bonehead mistake applying the shingles initially on the flat roof in the wrong direction.o_O Luckily I have plenty left over.

Garry- I learned something new about you today (working for the CN).

Johnny- Nice farm scenes, but shouldn't the fences be standing up to keep the animals in?:D Just pulling your leg. I hope everything turns out well for your wife.

Dave- I attended a round robin discussion at a Prototype Rails several years ago and they were talking about running HO trains on battery power meaning that tracks wouldn't need wiring, no reverse loops etc.. Interesting discussion.

Joe- I try to stay away from those forums. Don't get me wrong I like prototypical equipment, ops etc. but at a certain point I will say it's good enough.

20181105_143512-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....somewhat overcast and mild in Wisconsin with colder temperatures coming so I'll have to do some outside winterized. Closed the cabin today, drained the plumbing and we came home with everything that can freeze and break. Until next spring. We'll make day trips to check on things. Over-night we fed some four legged critters a bunch of old Doritos...they came to our back door looking for some beer to go with the Doritos.

Tomorrow some railroading in the afternoon I hope. Voting first and then turn off the outside water. Change the oil in the snow blower.

Going to program and down load some sound files in a Digitrax sound decoder. My Dash 8 needs the sound muted slightly and I'll do that as well for the prime mover and bell.

D&J Ken: Well said about the coupler springs. I use the broken couplers for junk yard details or track side junk and then install a new one with a spring to replace a defective coupler. Good idea about the AC to hold the spring(s) in place.

Bow season is in full swing in Wisconsin with another couple of weeks before the gun season starts. It seems that everyone near our cabin has a Deer Stand in their woods. One stand I've seen has to be at least 25 feet above the ground, complete with siding, heat, siding windows and a Weber grill at the base of the stand. Neighbors were sighting in their rifles and sounds of gun fire were common yesterday. On Sunday gun club was filled with hunters sighting in their rifles at our club's rifle ranges.

Rail fanning season starts for me in a week or so. Once a week lunches track-side in Du Plainville, Wisconsin and watch trains on the CN and CP mains and maybe a Wisconsin Southern train with trackage rights on the CN rails. Traveling to Harris, UP in a few weeks and there's a mainline I can see from our hotel room. Used to more trains in the paper regions of Central and Northeastern Wisconsin.

Emailed a question to Tony's Trains and I received an answer within minutes. Great customer service.

Re-ordered a Mini-camera from Amazon. The last order was lost in shipment. Need to do a rail tour of my layout.

Watched on my smart phone the video of Chet's Livingston Model Railroad club while I was at the cabin. I am always amazed at this layout. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-livingston-model-railroad-club.30269/

That's all for now.

Greg

######################

Last edited:
SO many hunters- No invasions.
It's the semi autos I dislike. Except for the military . I did like my M-1 . My Marlin lever action was accurate as any.

Flip

Dave- I attended a round robin discussion at a Prototype Rails several years ago and they were talking about running HO trains on battery power meaning that tracks wouldn't need wiring, no reverse loops etc.. Interesting discussion.
'Dead Rail' is the main reason I'm leaning toward Ring Eng/ Rail Pro system. Their commands are sent by Blu-tooth, or wi-fi tech. With today's and tomorrows li-ion battery tech, any track could be used. No confusing wiring of turnouts & reverse loops. Dirty track would actually improve traction, and their 'consist' setup is simple.

'Dead Rail' is the main reason I'm leaning toward Ring Eng/ Rail Pro system. Their commands are sent by Blu-tooth, or wi-fi tech. With today's and tomorrows li-ion battery tech, any track could be used. No confusing wiring of turnouts & reverse loops. Dirty track would actually improve traction, and their 'consist' setup is simple.
We have members here that run it. Look for threads that discus dead rail or battery powered trains. Our club electrician builds Sn3.5 QR prototype models to run on the HO track. He's been building battery powered with radio control, adapted from model aircraft systems.

Good evening Gentlemen!

I love a good nap, but an excessively long one messes with my sleep schedule. I'm not complaining, it's good to sleep when ever I can, thank God.

Willie, December 11th, will be one year since we signed the mountain of paper work required to buy a house. Things are moving rather slowly, but progress has been more steady in recent weeks. I'm finally hanging pictures and art on the walls! Seems that resting more is helping me to get more done. The extended periods on the bench were hindering me more than I realized. Pace is key and I seemed to have finally found mine, thank God.

In addition I have been working more at home then I have at Amazon. It's not like I need the money to pay the bills. I also realized I have been obsessed with working. That is how people react when you tell them you can't do something, silly doctors. :)

The Holidays are motivating me to do more at home and less at Amazon. I was disappointed with my Halloween decorations. No 5' bat with glowing red eyes, no light up ghosts and not a single orange light, but we still had fun. A few hanging ghouls, skeletons, my happy ghost banner "boo" and a few other things around the house were all I could manage. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be better, Jeff Bezos won't miss me.

I have a friend on facebook that I have known since first grade. I have been annoying him and others endlessly with my Christmas spirit. Sparing you guys. :)

I had Christmas music on all day, even during my nap. I bet my son is glad I moved. Can you believe my son does not have the same appreciation for Christmas music as I do?

Now I'm going to finish the last of this pot of coffee as I set up tomorrows tasks, then it's off to bed for me. My plans are light tomorrow because of the election.

Speaking of the election, what's with all this early voting? People have been standing in line for hours all over Baltimore for early voting. I seldom see 3 or 4 people in front of me when I go vote on election day. The votes count equally, no extra credit for early voting.

As Eeyore would say "thanks for noticing me" :)
1541477342193.png

Have a great night Everybody!

Good morning. It's raining and 58. I'm heading off to stand in the rain to get my chance to vote. And I'm taking my disabled wife with me, so she can vote.

From Facebook, the aftermath of BHP's runaway train in Western Australia..lot's of iron ore and lot's of scrap iron

I actually don't know how they know which is iron ore and which is dirt. Maybe they don't, maybe they just take a mining lease out and say, dig here.
I'm not sure how the rules of railroading are there, but if the engineer left his train here, he would lose his job.

30 degrees and there is snow on the ground. Accumulation is supposed to be less than an inch. "Tracking Snow" for the Orange Brigade, they wish for it and then they go home and leave their damned snow here, when they go!

I've boxed up another of my Bachmann Locos, to send back for repairs. This one actually lasted 8-10 years before failing. The wheels were loose on their axles and would slide in locking up the mechanism and although continuity through the wheels to the decoder was sound, the loco was struggling to get down the track and stopped every couple of feet. Another $50.00 down the drain.

I've got a friend who is big time into deadrail. His site has a lot of info. https://www.on30guy.com/

If I where just starting out, I would think seriously about Dead Rail. However, I am heavily invested in DCC/Sound and personally can't afford to jump ship, this late in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back