Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a guy get a cup of coffee around here? Oh, thanks Flo, didn't see you standing there right in front of me! So, this is a GANG here then? O.K. Gang, were at 32 degrees, although the Weather Underground says it's 33. Outlook for the week coming shows rain this afternoon and snow showers tomorrow, then Cloudy, Mostly Cloudy and Partly Cloudy the rest of the week. On Thursday, I will start batching it, for a week, as the wife is going to Puerto Rico as a volunteer to help clean up after the Hurricane last year. I shall be spending a lot of time in the basement working on the layout!

This might help...….
As a rookie in this hobby, I have been wondering why not use R/C to run trains? HO. The obvious to me is not enough battery life. But could track voltage keep the battery charged while the train is running on R/C? Kinda like using a laptop while it is charging?
Too many circuit boards? Maybe a boxcar (buffer) with battery or electronics?
Dave

This was really a comment on these forums, than what is needed to keep the hobby going.

For anybody wondering what happens when a piece of equipment on our model railroads becomes damaged, and no parts are available as part of the modern business model:

There is a better description on Youtube itself.

I watched this video twice here and once on YouTube and I still have no idea what happens when it gets damaged

I watched this video twice here and once on YouTube and I still have no idea what happens when it gets damaged
The description, which is on the page at Youtube, gives the details.
Basically, it was damaged, and the manufacturer, nor any aftermarket sources, have parts to fix it. So, into the Junk Box it goes.

The description, which is on the page at Youtube, gives the details.
Basically, it was damaged, and the manufacturer, nor any aftermarket sources, have parts to fix it. So, into the Junk Box it goes.

O.K., I thought the video showed the loco getting damaged, my bad!

That's OK, Garry -- You may use my First Name ... Captain! LOL LOL LOL LOL
Captain Chaos?

Captain_Chaos.jpg

Good Morning Folks. 54° and mostly cloudy. Looking at a high in the upper 70's today and tomorrow, still below average for this time of year. It may get close to freezing Thursday and Friday night. Plans for today include getting two temporary crowns this morning. Then it's work on the bathroom remodel after lunch and grilling chicken for supper. After grilling, I'll shred the chicken and layer mushrooms, onions, bacon, Mexican cheese and chicken into some flour tortillas for quesadillas, dipped into homemade honey/Dijon sauce. It's a copycat recipe of OutBack's Alice Springs Chicken Quesadillas.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, as I spent most of the afternoon either remodeling or mowing. So what time I had was spent running trains and replacing a Kadee coupler spring on a freight car. Lost the first one but eventually found it hidden on the work bench after installing the second one. I don't even look on the floor for them any more! Probably no time out there again today.

Garry - Regardless of the network, they all get things wrong. My favorite online source of news is BBC's coverage of American politics, unbiased facts only.
Chet - TMS is a really nice place to go for NASCAR. I rarely had to wait in traffic when I went in at the rear entrance; BNSF sends its trains through the Alliance Yard on race weekends instead of using the main that crosses the back track entrance. The main entrance on the Interstate 35W side tends to be a little more congested, but is still easy to use. My only other NASCAR track experience is at Bristol a few times and that is a nightmare getting in and out. A bit of a near tragedy in the infield Sunday morning when two men in a converted bus got carbon monoxide poisoning. An added bonus for me is that the BNSF main from Ft Worth to Oklahoma City runs alongside the Farm/Market road that goes to the back entrance, for at least 20 miles of my trip. I generally got to see at least three trains during the commute.
Mark -
I'm really only disappointed that the rest of the forum is so bleak!
It comes and goes. We do seem to be in a slow time right now.
By the way, ask Captain Sherrel about dropping an engine in Montana or sliding off the runway at O'Hare! Or better yet, carrying troops back from Vietnam. All amusing tales.
Terry -
You could belong to one of the forums I'm on, in which there can be a several-hundred-post long heated argument over why HO scale grabirons are 1/4 of a scale inch too large. Oh, and anything less than 110% complete prototypical accuracy in models or operations might as well be tinplate.
Been over there, I always thought that model railroading was supposed to be fun!
Louis -
CNN - Trump hurt our feelings, now we hate everything he says or does.
The lesson here is not to predict Presidential elections.
Sheppard Smith - My favorite He makes me wonder how he keeps his job at FOX.
He and Chris Wallace sort of balance out the excessive cheerleading.
You have exhibited remarkable restraint this season, it's November 5 before you posted your first Christmas video!:D
How's the new home coming along? You've been there about a year now if I remember correctly.

Gotta go now, dental appointment is at 0800. Everyone have a great day.

Don't listen to or watch FOX; or, CNN as they seem to be slightly biased. I like Jeff Gloor on CBS. I don't see fake news where everyone else sees it, except FOX and CNN. I think the rest are truly attempting to present the news unbiased and un-faked.

I don’t watch broadcast news either. Seem they all want to push their own agenda. I usually get my news from online sources, and check multiple sources, then base my own conclusions.

Good morning everyone. 45 and cloudy out there. Coffee is nice and hot in here - - so is the conversation sometimes!!

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers, thoughts, and well-wishes for my wife. Here's the update: she had the biopsy last Thursday. I took two days off work to take care of cooking, cleaning, and everything else, since she had to be pretty much immobile for 24 hours. She was feeling better Friday. We should hear from the doc with the results today. I'll keep you posted.

Saturday evening she was feeling well enough to go to the banquet. This was another Teen Challenge fund-raising event, this time in Branson. Some of you are familiar with the name Nicky Cruz. He was a gang leader in New York City when David Wilkerson went there in 1958 and preached to the gangs. Nicky was one of a number of gang members who gave his heart to Christ, and he later became director of Teen Challenge under Wilkerson. Anyway, Nicky Cruz spoke at the banquet last Saturday. The guy is almost 80 now and still loves to help raise money for the Teen Challenge centers around the country.

So it's been a busy 4 days. Got to catch up on some work. Will post some photos later.
Have a good day everyone.

Communist News Network
Marxist Stalinist Nazi Broadcasting Company
Faux News.

There are others, these just came to mind...

Thought we were supposed to avoid politically-charged issues. Well, then, here's a bumper sticker for today:

1541428073190.png

Much of what we are talking about here, to me seems to be bordering on Political discussions! I'm going to leave this stuff alone.

Okay - now for some layout update photos.

In between cooking and keeping house while MOH was recovering from the biopsy, I was able to do some scenicking, mostly farmacizing and fensticating. Here are some photos as I developed the "farm area" next to the lake on my layout. Two farms with a gravel road between them:

FarmArea1_Nov2018.jpgFarmArea2_Nov2018.jpgFarmArea3_Nov2018.jpg

FarmArea4_Nov2018.jpg

Still have to close up the corner on the horse farm's fence, and take the trees off their stands and put them into holes I'll drill. Also need to glue the fence in place. Don't worry - these are smart horses - - they won't leave the corral, 'cause they know who feeds them those 1:87 hay bales and oats. The fence that's on the ground has to be inserted into holes in the base - I also need to shorten it and put in a gate. That's this week's project.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning.

Johnny .... Continued prayers for your wife.

It’s a challenge to talk about economics without including politics in the conversation. Fiscal policies and regulatory policies are controlled by the Administration and by Congress. Therefore, it gets political. Monetary policies are controlled by the Federal Reaerve Board which is not directly controlled by politicians thankfully. I know many politicians are critical of the Fed, but it is much better to keep the Fed independent.

Speaking of the Fed , I do get much of my information from their website. They are much more transparent than some politicians give them credit for.

Information is available from Treasury Department (Federal budget, etc. ) and Labor Department (employment data, etc).

I think I have told you guys before that my work experiences included business forecasting and corporate financial planning . (Some of my career was with Canadian National) So, I spent a lot of time analyzing economic policies used in the assumptions for forecasts and financial plans . We had to make assumptions about fiscal and regulatory policies. We had alternative scenarios in presidential election years .

As for general news sources, certain Fox News programs are okay . Dinner time shows ( Bret Baihr or Martha McCallum ) include opposing viewpoints on political issues. Most Fox daytime shows are mostly neutral.

As Willie does, I watch Fox Business in the morning . I also watch Bloomberg News and CNBC.

Again, don’t be gullible. Be skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back