Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning ....

Johnny ....... Prayers continue for Dena.

Louis ... Great photos ! The Eagle is magnificent. The bridge is impressive. .... Interesting, the police car was a two-door model.

Curt .... Now, one of our sons lives in Tamps. So that is why. If we go we will drive. ... I like your work on the building.

Have a great Wednesday, everybody !

Last edited:
What could be seen as being wrong with saying Merry Christmas? Unless they are looking through overly sensitive eyes.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Mawlid an-Nabi, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays or any I left out, I'm not offended by any of them.

Louis: Not for nothing, I celebrate Christmas. It doesn't matter that historically, that Christ's birth took place in the Spring. The designated day has been December 25 for Centuries. What others choose to celebrate or not celebrate are immaterial to me. Others have the right not to celebrate Christmas, but they do not have the right to infringe upon my right to celebrate Christmas in the way of my choosing.

I do resent the lack of respect for Christmas shown by business and media, simply because it's Christmas Shopping, not other "holiday" shopping that drives their marketing, and retailer sales, from Mid October to the end of the year. I also resent all the lame "experts" that come out of the woodwork to diminish the impact of the Christian celebration. Like Mike wrote, I am offended by the lack of sensitivity to my traditions and beliefs also, but "they" don't seem to care.

Election Day is finally over. Took me and my wife about ten minutes, steadily moving line and lots of booths. Happy to say that it looks like I voted for a full slate of winners this time, Hopefully you all have the same results.

Willie: Suffice it to say that am not surprised by the outcome, and that I'm somewhat pleased by it. I'm more pleased by the fact that we will be spared the ugly political advertising, at least until the Spring primary season. The media is already beating the drum about 2020, but I can just tune them out, (literally), and continue to hide under my rock. Meanwhile expect the Medicare Advantage Plan advertising bombardment to get more intense, along with precious metal advertising directed to the "Sky is Falling" crowd.

Tore up almost a mile of track. I suppose it presents another quandary. Do they try to recover the iron ore, or just the the wrecked rolling stock and rails? Is the value of the scrap steel worth more and will it be easier just to lay new rails around the site? What a mess that loco was

Ray: Most likely, they will bulldoze the ROW and replace the track, then finish the cleanup The ore will probably remain adjacent to the ROW for a long time. Back when ore pellets were shipped from the Port of Philadelphia to inland steel mills, a large collection of ore pellets accumulated under the Philly Highline in Penn Coach Yard. The ore trains have been gone for over 20 years, but the pellets remain...

Spent several hours today working on applying individual shingles on the edges of the roof which I think with mixed results:(. I plan on weathering the roof before gluing it onto the building.

Curt: I think the roofing looks pretty good. Weathering before you glue may be the best approach, although there is a correlation between weather's effects on the roof and on the siding.

Today's weather is supposed to be pleasant for a change. Have to go out and enjoy it.

Boris

Boris .... I agree about annoying ads. Especially, the knuckleheads saying to invest in precious metals. It is good to have our model railroads to keep our sanity.

View attachment 31585
Supposedly the last surviving Baltimore & Ohio steam wrecking derrick in service, Industrial Brownhoist 200 ton Type Z crane number X-45, seen here in service on Feb. 22, 1981 at New Castle, Pa. by Henry Riecks, was briefly preserved for operation in the late 1990s, but was sadly scrapped later.
Picture from the facebook page of the Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society

That crane must be the one Athearn used to make their Blue Box model. (and every one since, even MRL's one, which is not steam)

Boris .... I agree about annoying ads. Especially, the knuckleheads saying to invest in precious metals. It is good to have our model railroads to keep our sanity.
What? you saying the cast metal chassis in our models ain't precious? Precious to me!

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and windy here in this part of Wisconsin. Up most of the night watching election returns.

No real plans for today. I keep putting off finishing the junk year area so the first order of business is to install several WS lamp poles in the yard area. Then start adding the details that make up the junk yard. I keep remembering finding an operating junk yard that had railroad rolling stock in various stages of dismantling in an out of the way area in Central Wisconsin . Sad to see railroading history meet the torches.

One thing I did do yesterday was re-set my control panel clock to the correct time.

I make plan on trying my set of Pan Pastel weathering powders on some old rolling stock. The process looks interesting since the product really sticks to the sides of the rolling stock. I have a bunch of ore cars that need some weathering.

That's all for now.

Greg

#####################

Good morning. 23 degrees with light snow and fog. Yuk. temps are predicted to drop into the low teens tonight. Winter is here I guess. A few inches of snow is in the forecast so I think I will move the tractor with the plow from the shed to the driveway.

Louis - Nice photos of the Eagle. I sawe it a few times when I was in the Navy.

Ran trains for a while yesterday working through the switching problems. I really enjoy the problems. Moving up to 4 cars to get access to a couple to set out for the local to pick up. Our little doxie hasn't reset the internal clock. She was wanting to eat at 4 Am but with the clock change to standard time, now she's ready to eat a 3 AM. Had to take a nap for a while yesterday. Might do the same today.

Here's a rai; picture for today.

Atlanta Depot, 1864.jpg

Later

Another beautiful morning here in AZ. Actually was cool enough that I had to turn on the heater during the early morning. We had a great time yesterday - took the Razor out to the desert where we could off-road and do some target shooting. My son is quite the gunsmith and has built almost a dozen rifles akin to the AR fashion in various calibers. After we got back home last night - he was adding up the damage to his stash of ammo - somewhere north of around $150 worth of ammo. I keep telling him that he needs to re-load his own; he says that he is thinking about it especially in the larger calibers.

I'm impressed by the postings relating to the Christmas Season. I got to circle several things in the Montgomery Ward catalogue (we were't rich enough to have Sears + the Sears catalogue store was 30 miles away), but I new that I was only going to get ONE - so I had to be very selective in what I wished for. In our household Santa did his shopping at Montgomery Ward on Christmas eve and I would look gleefully underneath the tree for my pick, or the #2 - whichever Santa managed to find. Then I would also find a few items of various clothing and maybe a cowboy pistol too.

Curt - Really awesome work on the building! That's great modeling!

Willie - Loved the boarding house! Surroundings are well done too!

Louis - Great photos! Does your post on politics mean that you are going to lighten up on the Presidential bashings on Faceboo?

My Spouse puts Christmas Trees (plural) in every room! Lots and lots of them! She and one of her sisters try to outdo each other!
Here's a photo from yesterday:

Attachments

• Jess-.jpg
    Jess-.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Jess-Steve02.jpg
    Jess-Steve02.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 163
I'm ready to patrol the border!

Most everyone was aiming for the Orange target -- I wanted a challenge, so I used the righthand pipe as my target!

Attachments

• gangsta style.jpg
    gangsta style.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 159
That crane must be the one Athearn used to make their Blue Box model. (and every one since, even MRL's one, which is not steam)

Ray: For sure, that's the one. Most of those behemoths - there were only seven built be Brownhoist - were eventually converted to burn oil, and some were converted to Diesel. In 1973 and 1974, I spent a great deal of time with the PC's Wilmington Wreck train, which was assigned a 150Tn oil fired steam derrick. These machines were awesome to watch. With a good Wreckmaster, and a good Derrick Engineer, these derricks could do anything.

I still have a Bluebox kit of the PRR version to build, I still have a Blue Box kit for the PRR version. Still unfinished. I have had this for at least 40 years.

Boris

Louis - Nice photos of the Eagle. I sawe it a few times when I was in the Navy.

Chet: I was at South Street Seaport in Manhattan when the Eagle docked for Fleet week, back in 1988 or 1989. I got the most enjoyment in watching the Midshipmen manning the masts and jumping every time the Master Chief barked a command. That guy really knew his stuff.

Speaking of knowing their stuff, the same day while in traffic on Canal Street, I watched a FDNY Truck company maneuvering through incredible traffic enroute to an alarm. The tillerman masterfully maneuvered the rear as the driver zig zagged the tractor around panicked motorists. That was the best tillering, I ever witnessed.

Boris

Evening All,

Our internet is out (using my phone 4G) and has been most the afternoon. Provider says it will be back tomorrow morning.:mad: All I've done today is paint doors and trim.

I hope everyone has a good night.

It's me again,

I lied, my internet is back upo_O. When I was a kid we got the Sears, Penny's, and Monkey Wards catalogs at Christmas time. We couldn't afford anything but dreaming was free.

Sherrel- Yesterday looks like fun. Thank you for your kind words. Neat wind vane.

Louis- Awesome bridge and tall ship photos.

Willie- I really, really hate driving in Tampa.

Karl- Thank you.

Garry- It makes sense with a son there.

Joe- Thank you.

Chet- Great rail picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening.
Today was a very expen$ive day.
It could have been worse.
My wife was leaving the physical therapy office, and slipped on some wet leaves. She threw her arms out to keep from falling, and maybe breaking a hip, and flung her iPhone 7+ into the air. It came down on some rocks, smashing it. We'd had this phone for a couple of years, and I had dropped the insurance on it. In order to be eligible to buy a replacement, I had to pay out $384 for the balance remaining on the phone, then drive to the phone store, and buy another phone for $$$. I made sure I got the insurance on it, which will be in effect until the replacement value of the phone is less than the $299 deductible.
Anybody want a slightly used iPhone, cheap? Owned by a little old lady in North Carolina, only dropped once...
But, again, it could have been worse. She could have broken a hip instead of the phone, though she got a pretty serious talking to about why the hell she was carrying it in her hand, instead of a pocket or her purse.

Good evening.

Sherrel ... looks like fun in AZ . CA politics make no sense. What is the comment regarding Louis and presidential bashings?

Terry ... sorry to hear about the expensive day.

Boris... your comment about the fire truck brought back an old memory. I recall seeing one passing through heavy traffic in Chicago.

Curt ... we might mak a brief stop in Orlando on way to Tampa.

Have a good night , everybody.

Your HOA would have a stroke!

ha,ha -- MIKE -- I didn't think about that!
Still laughing about your comment! You're good!

It's almost 11 PM here in AZ -- spent the past 3 hours waiting to see a VET. My dog Foxie got into a "free for all" with two other dogs and got bit several times with a couple ones pretty deep. Never got to see the VET -- Will take her to another VET at 7AM.

Four dogs and they get into a fight the last day/night here. They had all romped and played with no sign of aggression. I sort of know what happened - little hard to describe, buy they were excited to see us after we were gone for 4-5 hours - one of them bumped the other - there was a growl - and then they all went bezerk! We were trying to open the gate, lock and chain, and couldn't get to them fast enough to stop the ruckus.

Good Morning gang
43° degrees and clear, going into the mid 50s , cold rain tomorrow (brrr)

Terry, I have a case of bubble wrap here if you need to insulate Marie from the ways of Mr. Murphy. The phone can be replaced,the Mrs, not so easily. I'm assuming she's ok??

Sherrel, hope the pup is ok. Stop baiting Louis please!

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back