Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent several hours today working on applying individual shingles on the edges of the roof which I think with mixed results:(. I plan on weathering the roof before gluing it onto the building. Tomorrow it's back to 1:1 painting in preparation for Thanksgiving.

Johnny- I am very sorry to hear your news. I will continue to pray for you and Dena.

Garry- Tampa:(.

Willie- At least they will be able to identify you when the time comeso_O. Great looking building. I really like the balconies.

Louis- Great cab photo of the S2.

20181106_142908-3024x1470.jpg

20181106_143233-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Toot ..... The ore train derailment was a big mess.
Tore up almost a mile of track. I suppose it presents another quandary. Do they try to recover the iron ore, or just the the wrecked rolling stock and rails? Is the value of the scrap steel worth more and will it be easier just to lay new rails around the site? What a mess that loco was.

Just had a "discussion" with the Mrs. on how a sump pump operates. She doesn't understand why the water level is so low or where the water comes from to get into the sump pit....!
Ah! the difficulties of explaining the "workin's" to the female mind sometimes. Best to give up while you're ahead. (that in itself being a male delusion).

Johnny, our thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm thinking the reason your wife took the news well is that her faith is telling her she will be ok, God Bless her. I know from personal experience it's easier to lean on our faith when it's own struggle. When the struggle is a loved ones it's another story. Do your best to stay positive my friend. We are all with you!

As Sherrell said, medical science is amazing now and gets better with each passing day. I'll be the first one to criticize the business side of the American medical system, but the I'll be the last to criticize the quality.

Oh, wow, that is a political statement!!!!
Mark, politics are not specifically forbidden on the forum. As long as we keep it civil, but that is the hard part.

I try to refrain from politics because some come members come here to escape the political news and others have anger management issues. Out of respect for them all is why I try to refrain from politics.

The Coast Guard cutter Eagle unfurled its sails and skimmed out of the Inner Harbor below the new construction of the Outer Harbor Bridge in July 1976. The bridge opened for traffic in March 1977 as the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
1541586949085.png

The U.S. Coast Guard barque cutter Eagle sails below the Francis Scott Key Bridge on its way to Baltimore for Fleet Week 2018.

Good morning ........ We My wife decided to put up the Christmas Tree early so we did yesterday. ... 'tis the season...
I love the way your wife thinks!
Louis - I have to agree with you about enjoying the turkey first. I am with Mark. Bah Humbug. We haven't put up a Christmas tree in years. Our kids are grown and out on their own. One thing that really bugs me is advertisers. They are obviously advertising for Christmas but they just can't say the word "Christmas". One exception is Hobby Lobby. Speaking of Hobby Lobby, we are going to have one in Bozeman. I stopped by Harbor Freight a few days ago and construction was going on next door and I found out that it is a Hobby Lobby.
So as not to be redundant I will comment about the Christmas tree later.

What could be seen as being wrong with saying Merry Christmas? Unless they are looking through overly sensitive eyes.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Mawlid an-Nabi, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays or any I left out, I'm not offended by any of them.

I later found out Santa was the old couple who lived in the apartment above our apartment. Knowing that did not in anyway diminish my idea of Santa. knowing that only strengthen my faith in God. Santa is so much more than a fat old guy living with eleves.

Question: Why don't we just have Christmas all 12 months of the year ... Then I won't have to carry around the Montgomery Ward catalog all the time as I did growing up?
My oldest sister loved the Montgomery Wards catalog, thanks for reminding me. I didn't bother with catalogs, I knew Santa had me covered.

Louis: Don't change!
I seldom change, but I do adjust my thinking. Thanks to wise men like yourself enlightening me with your experience.

My feelings exactly, but we must keep the other half happy! My wife doesn't even want a tree anymore, but I still put one up.

Willie you have just given me another of the many reasons I admire and respect you. I still have little grandchildren, but even if I lived alone in a nursing home I would still have a Christmas tree, for me!

I don't put up our trees until thanksgiving. On thanksgiving morning I set up our artificial tree in our living room with only lights on it. We decorate it on black Friday. The other trees come later.

More to come, but now it's time to spend the morning with my little man before he goes to school, thank you God! :)

Good Morning All. 57° and overcast. In the dark, it looks like .7" in the rain gauge. Weather forecast has changed, again! This is now forecast to be the high temperature for the next seven days with lows near freezing from Monday til Wednesday next week. Back to the mid 60's next Thursday. Way below average for this time of year. Headed off this morning for my quarterly doctor visit. One of those wasted visits since there's nothing wrong. He'll say "oooh and ah" when he looks at the scar/bruise left on my neck by the surgeon last week, he'll tell me to lose weight and he'll ask if I need any prescription refills. Better than having issues though!
Not sure what's on tap the rest of the day, weather will decide. Very light rain in the forecast for two days. I did cut down the last dead tree along the front of the estate yesterday. It's ready to burn already, initial estimate is that it will heat the house for about six days. Thirty 16" logs ranging in diameter from 3" to 14" (mostly 6"+), plus lots of kindling.

Thanks to all for the kind words regarding the boarding house, Chet, Joe, Curt, and anyone that I may have missed.

Out in the train shed, I just piddled around. A bit of this and a bit of that. Nothing new to report.

Johnny - As others have already posted, modern medicine is advanced enough to assist your wife through this. Louis is right on that faith will help you through it all. We have a number of survivors that visit the forum regularly and live full lives afterward. Cool video. My Dad's favorite RR was NYC, We would watch trains from the passenger platform in Chatham NY. He always said that we saw the last of the steamers, but I never remembered seeing anything other than diesels, Steam was gone by the time I was 3 years young.
Garry - My Christmas tree goes up on December 15, but I leave it up until Epiphany on January 6. Tampa? Orlando? What's an extra 85 miles? That' next door in Texas.
Chet - With as many locos that I have, I sometimes forget to run some. This was the first time that I jotted them all down so I could be sure that I got all. Keep in mind that Hobby Lobby's are not open on Sunday?
Greg - The aunt's house sounds like a great place to have visited.
Sherrel - Hey! That's a nice picture.

Election Day is finally over. Took me and my wife about ten minutes, steadily moving line and lots of booths. Happy to say that it looks like I voted for a full slate of winners this time, Hopefully you all have the same results. Not too sure that Sherrel's candidate for the House won.
Everybody have a great day!

On the Subject of Christmas. When I was in school it was always called our Christmas program. Now my daughter is in school, I noticed it’s called their Holiday program. I suppose some was offended, and it had to be changed. I don’t care, it’s still Christmas to me. I don’t care who I offend. I’m offended it had to be changed!

[QUOTE="santafewillie, post: 443715, member:

Election Day is finally over. Took me and my wife about ten minutes, steadily moving line and lots of booths. Happy to say that it looks like I voted for a full slate of winners this time, Hopefully you all have the same results. Not too sure that Sherrel's candidate for the House won.
Everybody have a great day![/QUOTE]

It was about 4:45 when I went through, I was surprised, and got through about that fast too. I thought for a brief moment about blowing it off. It was getting dark, cold, and rainy. I’m glad I decided to go.

Good morning gang!

Sunny bright day with temps in the 50s here!

Sherrel Nice pic, now I can hang it up to keep the rats out of the garage! ;)

Johnny, I'll keep you and the Mrs in my thoughts and prayers. My Ex went through a bout with the big C right after we were married. Her determination to beat it was astounding,and carried us through.

Curt. The printing company looks great!

Ah! the difficulties of explaining the "workin's" to the female mind sometimes. Best to give up while you're ahead. (that in itself being a male delusion).

Toot I once saw a video where a guy described the difference in the sexes brains as boxes(men) and a ball of wire (women) . It made sense to me then, and to the GF..so it must be true.

L8ter!

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 40 and partly cloudy. First time I've seen the word "snow" in our local forecast, possibly tomorrow night. Shouldn't be any road accumulation since it's still too warm for that. Temps are tumbling, though, with highs in the 30s and low 40s through the next 7 days.

Well, mid-term elections are over o_O I noticed no political mailings in our mailbox yesterday, so they'll stop killing trees for a while. Hooray for the environment:rolleyes:

Louis, Willie, Chet, and everyone else - Thanks for the continued well-wishes for my wife. We are both strong in our faith, and I will not stop praying.

I remember the Sears catalogs. At our house we do quite a bit of decorating for Christmas. We usually have two or three trees: main one in the den, one in our bedroom, and one in the entry/foyer. Various small decorations all over the house. Outside, lights around the front porch and on one of the large evergreen trees we planted a few years ago. But more than all the hoopla, presents, and decorations: FAMILY - to me that's the best thing about Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Train room - ran trains for a few minutes last night. Primed a new structure to build, and started work on a forest ranger lookout tower.

Coffee is not just calling, it's SCREAMING my name. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning Everybody!

All is well here in southeast Baltimore, thank God.

The weather is beautiful and the humidity is low, for Baltimore that is. Time to paint my upstairs bathroom!

Have a great day Everybody!

God Bless Us Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back