Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother pulls autoracks and containers with GP7's and occasionally with a steamer.

Willie: Not for nothing, but I do recall seeing GP7s pull autoracks, containers, stack packs and Roadrailers on a regular basis during the 1990s and later. Steam? That's something else entirely. ;)

Nice of you to include the Coffee Pot in the background !

Garry: The White Coffee Pot chain was one of my favorite stops, especially the one on the Pulaski Highway, near Bay View Hump.
I hear you on the expensive dental work.

Boris

I found out this morning why the entire place will be open.
One of the salesmen, who has a record of making stupid promises we usually can’t keep, sold a trailer to a couple last week, with the promise they could do their orientation that day.
Never mind the fact the customer doesn’t even have an effing truck to pull the trailer, and won’t have one until the middle of next month.
So, the entire place has to be open, everybody has to be here for the day, and cancel whatever activities they had planned, just so the salesman can get his commission on this month’s check.

Terry: How about a case of food poisoning from Thnksgiving so you can call in sick on Friday? Being in the shopping mall business, I worked from a half to a full day on Thanksgiving and back to work on Black Friday at 5:00 AM, so I know how it feels to have to work on Holidays or when half of the world is off work.

Greg

Another Day - Another Fire ... and still the winds blow hard. Expected high of 78 today with Easterly winds of 15 - 25 MPH. The wind is calming down somewhat; it was mostly 25 with gusts to 40 yesterday and the dust/sand and everything else that was not nailed down flew down the street: stuff that I have not witnessed around here in 10 years of living in this neighborhood. That damn "Bean Tree" that I need to disappear has dropped at least another 5 gal bucket of crap in my yard and patio - it's going to be gone next year for sure!
The folks about 45 miles North in San Bernardino had a fire break out during the night - not sure how it is doing at the moment. I am very surprised that we have not had a fire to our east and south - there is certainly enough fuel there for a hum-dinger!
That is all .. have to take the pup to the VET this morning. We both had a nudder tossing turning night. She was not happy with her "lampshade" attire.

Came upon this painting from a photo - thought a few of you may be interested.
The painting features the Milwaukee Road’s Olympian Hiawatha with electric “boxcab” no. E14 overtaking a westbound NP freight headed by Z6 “Challenger” steam locomotive no. 5117.

NP - Mil.jpg

The work situation was resolved when the salesman was told if he wanted the orientation performed that day, he would have to do it himself.
The clincher was when he said he couldn’t do that, because he was going out of town for the weekend.
I’m sure y’all know how well that statement went over...
And we are now closed the day after Thanksgiving.

The work situation was resolved when the salesman was told if he wanted the orientation performed that day, he would have to do it himself.
The clincher was when he said he couldn’t do that, because he was going out of town for the weekend.

Awesome news Terry!

Well -- I should certainly hope so!!!!!

Good morning everyone. I'm late because of some work going on at the house. Woke up to 16 degrees - it's warmed all the way to 23 now, and cloudy.

Well, not much news from the train room. Ran trains for a few minutes last night and did some more scenicating (scenerizing? scenstigating?). Train time is low right now because of having to move our master bedroom furniture back into the remodeled master bedroom, paint the remodeled guest bath, and move stuff into the remodeled master bath. Also having to clean the entire house, since dust seeped everywhere from the remodeling work, even though we had sheets of plastic up and doors taped shut. This better be worth it :mad:

Have a good day everyone.

Afternoon All,

The planned yard work today didn't happen because I had to drive down to the VA hospital (about 1 hour away) to pick up Son-In-Law's Father who was being discharged and no one else was available (retirement strikes again). MOH did help me out by buying 2 toilet seats to install after I got home (very thoughtful). I'm guessing yard work tomorrow.

Yesterday I temporarily put my last build on the designated siding and I realized that I need to do some in depth planning. I was planning on keeping the Walthers Ice House but it really looks out of scale next to my last build. I'm probably going to have to build an Ice House.

Terry- It sounds like you lucked out, it's a good thing your boss came to his senses.

Sherrel- Outstanding painting (even for Milwaukee Rd:D). That video clip you sent me was hilarious.

I hope everyone has a good night.

and there should be an opening in the sales dept...

Good evening. 34° and cloudy right now. Tomorrow's snow forecast is now changed to a coastal rain storm with gale force winds through Friday night. As bad as that sounds, it's nothing like the winds California is experiencing. Perhaps, I can concentrate on my train room projects.

Terry: That is awesome news. The salesman had balls to schedule an orientation, and expecting someone else to do his work for him.

Curt: That;s why a model railroad is never complete.

Boris

Good morning Everybody!

Chilly, but dry, so far here in southeast Baltimore.

Boris, the White Coffee Pot in the Middlesex shopping center was Nanny and Jack's (the couple who raised me) favorite place to eat. I enjoyed it because they had a juke box on the table. I was not much into music at that young age, but it was fun to play with. Jack usually cooked, but when we were shopping at Kresge's they liked to stop at the White Coffee Pot.

Thanks Everyone for your concern about my arm. It's getting better by the day. I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as I first thought. It's ugly, but once a wrap it tight with an ace bandage is works fairly well.

I installed my new registers and return vents yesterday. I'm going to put together the side board today. I'm on schedule to put up my wife's new Balsam Hill Christmas tree in the living room thanksgiving morning. I don't decorate the trees before thanksgiving. but I do like to have them up with lights and a train under each tree. I promised my wife the first floor is to be all her Christmas decorations. In other words; elegant as opposed to my in your face "gypsy" decorations. No color lights hanging from the celling, no flashing color lights on the tree. No silly "Christmas Vacation" or "Peanuts" figures. Only one train under her tree. Boring if you ask me, but I'll be happy to help her decorate. The family room is all mine and God willing I will make some room in my second floor train/play room. If all goes well I recommend you bring sun glasses if you stop by during the holidays. If flashing lights cause you to have seizures please give me fair waring so that I can turn those lights off. ;)

I hope the recycle collectors take all that I put out this morning. It's supposed to rain, but that won't stop them from coming. All those wet boxes are no fun.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning gang,
32° and dry so far, but snow/sleet/rain coming. Schools closed here alreadyo_O. Yup, lets scare the little kiddies into being wussies when they grow up. Let's teach them snow & ice are something to fear and hide from!! I remember getting off the School bus to push it up a hill in the snow! I suppose its a by product of our litigious society, but were neutering another generation.:(

Sherrel Our pup ain't happy about his lampshade either. Just a few more days til it leaves.

Terry, I'm surprised the salesman wasn't lynched by the rest of the store!

Garry & Boris My sister used to waitress at the White Coffee Pot in the Hamilton section of B-more. Later at the White Coffee Pot Jr in Westminster.

Well, time for work:p L8ter!

Good morning everyone. 23 and sunny out there. Just a thought - - what good is the sun when it's below freezing?!?! o_O

Yesterday was one of those days - - went down to the train room, stood there and said to myself "There's a lot of work to be done here," and then went back upstairs. Sigh. Tonight is heavy lifting night, when we move an entire bedroom suite into the newly-remodeled master bedroom - dresser, mirror, nightstands, headboard, footboard, frame, mattresses, paintings for the wall, a couple of side tables, other decor . . . etc. And once that's done, I have to move some bedroom stuff that's been in storage during the remodel back into the guest suite where we've been living the past five months. IF we get it all done this evening, we should sleep pretty good tonight. Oh, yeah - I'll have the Ben-Gay cream handy :D

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 31° with clear skies here this morning. Pleasant weather is forecast for the next three days with afternoon highs in the upper 60's. Still a bit below averages, but not bad. Time to let the fire in the heater go out so I can do a thorough job of ash removal. Nothing like a couple of nights of mid-20's to cause major leaf fall from the trees in the yard. Wife swept the back porch around 9 yesterday and it was covered again by 2. That will supply some outdoor time for a few days. Grocery/beer trek today, have to stock up for Thanksgiving so I don't have to deal with the crowds next week. Our Thanksgiving celebration next week is going to be a bit smaller than usual, only 23 adults and 13 kids. Our assignment is ham and beer. One of my brothers is also assigned beer so I won't break the bank! Good Irish Catholics we are! Another brother borrows tables and chairs from the church so we can all sit down together.
Out in the train shed yesterday, things progressed. I reinforced some joints in the chain-link fence with CA glue and then ballasted about seven feet of main line on a different section of the layout. I also did some minor reworking of track in the next section of track, which has been under testing for a while before painting and ballasting. Some random derailing had been occurring at a switch that required loosening, shimming and refastening. I'll test for a few more months before further work. Meanwhile there's plenty of other areas to do.

Garry - Hope that the dental visit went well. Mine last week only set me back about two grand.
Joe - I can't even count the number of times we made "hurry-up" window deliveries that salesmen requested for Black Friday, that didn't get unloaded until Monday because the customer wasn't there. In some cases the driver had to drive during the day on Thanksgiving to get there. Pissed everybody off, driver could have waited until Saturday even though he got paid for "lingering".
Terry - Must be a damn good salesman if he still has a job! Our company withheld partial commission in cases like I described above.
Curt -
no one else was available (retirement strikes again).
Kind of like being the only one in the family with a pick up truck!
Louis - Good to read that you are doing better.
Johnny - Some days are like that (train room). Hope that you have some help tonight.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Kind of like being the only one in the family with a pick up truck!

Willie & Curt:
I know the feeling well.

It's 33° and cloudy, the lull before the storm. We are expecting a "large" amount of rain from mid day today, through mid day tomorrow. With wind advisories and a flood watch. There is a Gale warning on the ocean. Temperatures are expected to remain below average, but no snow or ice is anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back