Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

I went with friends to a train show in Evansville, IN . Busy with other stuff too . I’m getting behind reading posts. Sorry I can’t comment on all now.

Thanks to Boris, Chet, Willie, Curt and any I missed who commented on my photo. You guys are too kind.

Louis, I thought of requesting from you photos from the B&O museum in Baltimore. Looks like you may have done that with the old B&O sleeper in that photo . I don’t recall seeing that paint scheme before. Looks nice . ... Do not worry . I have no problems with you and hope you do not with me. ... One of my purchases at train show was a Lionel boxcar to add to the train we use under the Christmas tree.

Everybody.... Happy Model Railroading!

Garry: I may not always comment on your pictures but all have been very good !

I

Louis, I thought of requesting from you photos from the B&O museum in Baltimore. Looks like you may have done that with the old B&O sleeper in that photo . I don’t recall seeing that paint scheme before. Looks nice . ... Do not worry . I have no problems with you and hope you do not with me. ... One of my purchases at train show was a Lionel boxcar to add to the train we use under the Christmas tree.
!

Garry, all is well :) no worries. We can agree to disagree on that one subject. The fact is I should have avoided it all together. It's best we focus on the many subjects we have in common. I respect your vast experience, I admire your brilliant craftsmanship and other great qualities.

I do have some pictures from a visit my family and I made to the B&O museum, I just have to locate them. The are on my other computer in my train room. I ran and tested the wires, but I have yet to hook them up to my desktop. I should transfer copies of everything to my Microsoft cloud. My daughter took those pictures. Every time my grandsons go by ourselves, I walk all around admiring everything. Never thinking I have a state of the art phone/camera in my pocket!

I promised my wife I would focus on getting the house ready for thanksgiving before working in my play pen :) I always keep my promises.

My wife is the sweetest, most intelligent, dedicate, loyal, patient, kind, unselfish. caring and beautiful woman. That is only a few of her great qualities, God only knows why she is with me, but I thank God. She never pressures me to do anything, just the opposite, she would do everything herself if I did not intervene. She is a fantastic Mom, Nagyi (Hungarian for Grandmother) and the best wife I could ever imagine. I know if I asked she would set up my trains, but I'll keep that fun job for me!
B&O Museum
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Historical Society (facebook)
1541933072080.png

Bing has many good photos of the Museum https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=b&o+railroad+museum&FORM=HDRSC2
1541933192680.png

1541933235589.png

1541933267509.png

It's much more than the roundhouse, the yard and side tracks have even more to see. If you take the short train ride they offer you will even see a GG1 awaiting restoration. I never get tired of the place and I always discover something new. The volunteers are friendly and very knowledgeable. Lots of benches inside and out as well. That's great for me!

I'd love to see a photo of your new boxcar and Christmas train! Christmas trees and Lionel, now that is an American tradition!

Last edited:
Good morning Everybody!

I accomplished half of what I wanted to do yesterday. My wife's corner curio cabinet is done and looks fantastic. I never though it would look so good. I was thinking Ikea, but it turned out great, thank you Amazon!

She bought an entertainment center, sideboard, whatever that is and the corner curio cabinet from Amazon for under $850 and they would have cost over $5000 at Gavigan's. She is a smart lady. I was ready to tell the salesmen "we'll take them" before I could she called me to look at something else and said "that's too much, lets check Amazon". Ok, whatever she wants. I had previously put together an entertainment center and yesterday the corner curio cabinet.

I said "you saved enough to buy 2 maybe 3 Lionel Vision line locomotives!" I asked her "what do you think of me buying another Vision Line GG1?" her answer "whatever you want honey", no surprise to me, it's what she always says.

Anybody know where I can get a new in the box Lionel Vision Line GG1 in Conrail Bicentennial colors? All I have seen on eBay is used.

My ex-wife spent over $50,000 furnishing our house, but she never made if feel like home. I don't miss a thing from that house. Money can't buy happiness, unless you are buying large quantities of alcohol or dope, but that is short term and causes more problems than you had to begin with. Trust me, I know from experience. I gave up that lifestyle 6 months before my first child was born. My ex-wife said "you turned into a …(Kitty)" I thought to myself, "this is going to be a long 18 years" Turned out we only made is 15. I spoke to a lawyer that told me "your daughter is old enough to decide who she wants to live with", thank God. I left with my daughter and my dog, that was all I needed! I gave up everything else I had, I just wanted peace. Thank God my daughter turned out healthy, she is extremely intelligent and was an even better athlete than I was!

Buying trains makes me happy, but I'd be happy with 1 Lionel RTR set. Maybe 2, got to have a special one for Christmas!

I still have the sideboard to put together. I had previously put together an entertainment center and yesterday the corner curio cabinet.

Is it me or do these picture assembly directions drive anybody else crazy? I have to keep looking back to the directions over and over! I prefer written instructions. One step on the entertainment center was shown backwards, I had to spend 30 minutes taking it back apart and reassembling to get it right. Good thing I noticed before completing the job.

I have to say, assembly required furniture looks much better than I expected and the overall quality is amazing. So far they look as good as what I saw in the furniture store. Even the electric fireplace in the entertainment center looks real, how do they do it?!

Southern Enterprises Lighted Corner Curio Cabinet, Mahogany Finish with Antique Hardware
Kings Brand Furniture Wood Storage Sideboard Buffet Cabinet Console Table, Black My wife wants this in the living room for her "seasonal" display and to show off her … stuff from Hungary.
1541935953787.png

WE Furniture 70" Wood Fireplace TV Stand Console, Black - I used black cloth to cover the holes for the wires. Amazingly the fireplace looks even better in real life and the heater is warm and gentle.
1541936085368.png

It's a good thing I blindly listen to my wife, I would not have bought any of these things.
Here is one of my favorite purchases
Marshall Stanmore Bluetooth Speaker, Black - I got this at a steal! Amazon Deal of the Day for $169.99! Terry, if I did live next to a cemetery this thing might wake the dead! ;)
1541936401652.png

We have black furniture in the living room, Red satin covers on the Couch, loveseat and chairs for the holidays. Tan for the rest of the year
Maghony in the dinning room to match my grandfather's antique table. I got the table because nobody else in the family wanted it and we love it!

I make pretty good money with Amazon, but I give a lot of it right back to them! I only wish they sold more trains. "I sold my soul to the company store"
This song popped up after the previous song, it's too good not to share!

I wish you guys could come over and have some coffee with me, but at least I can share what's going on with you on here.

One of my buddies I met in 10th grade is coming over today for dinner. I'm making his favorite, split chicken breast with my home made seasoning mix. Not many of the old "gang" left Most of the rest are long dead or missing in action. Sex drugs and rock n roll, not smart at all. Skip the drugs, one good wife and life will be much more kind to you. If you try to work hard and play hard the results will probably not be good. My health paid the toll, but I made it out alive and happy, thank God.

I got to get off this padded chair and move to the couch in the living room, my boney butt is talking to me. Time to read the Sunday papers.

There you have it, way too much information from a man with no secrets. If one person learns from my screw-ups, than it's all good. My kids are doing great. I'm hoping/praying/working for the same for my grandsons.

Here are a couple songs for the road.

Sitting in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high
Boot legging boozer on the west side
Full of people who are doing wrong

When I rode the hounds of hell
Twist my foot, I nearly fell
I was lucky I was alive
One look back, I could have died

When I saw it, I was amazed
One-time glory right in my gaze
I saw the sorrow, I saw the joy
Light in the darkness none could destroy

Attachments

• 1541935840702.png
    1541935840702.png
    694.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Good morning gang.
Little chilly out there this morning there's frost on the picnic table. Have to go outside later and trim the small Evergreens in front of the house to get them ready for Christmas lights. They get a little wild in the summer and need a haircut.
GF just left to take the puppy for a bath and nail clipping, he goes for The Big Snip Tuesday.
Well, I better ger my butt in gear if I am going to get to see my workbench today!
L8ter gang.

Good morning y'all. 29° and sunny this morning. It's Veterans Day.

The original commemoration was known as Armistice Day, first celebrated in 1938, to commemorate the end of World War 1 on 11/11/18 at 1100 Hours. Time flies, as this is the 100th anniversary of the Armistice. They're all gone now, but I remember when there were still WW1 Veterans leading active lives. Many suffered the lingering effects of Poison gas which was used as a weapon by both sides. WW1 was the first use of Air Power and Armor in battle.

Last night, I watched a lecture on C Span 3 which dealt with the five myths of World War 1, and three major changes to America, as the result of World War 1.

I always enjoyed my visits to the B&O Museum. I have photos that need to be located and scanned before I can share them. The B&O Museum, has a priceless collection of artifacts, that used to be working railroad equipment including the shell, (no motor, generator etc.), of the EA passenger diesel,, the Daylight Speedliner RDCs, and other neat stuff. The roundhouse, contains the prototype of the Atlas turntable. Some awesome 19th Century locomotives and rolling stock. Well worth the time spent visiting when in Baltimore.

I spent several hours yesterday with a leaf blower, assembling a huge mountain of leaves in my yard. Afterward, I ran the Reading Market Street switcher which consumed a little over an hour, switching the freight house and four industries. I spent a lot of time on my feet, and today, my knees are paying me back. Later today, I will start moving the leaves to the curb, where hopefully, Public Works will pick them up. Did I mention that I hate 125 year old Oak trees?

Boris

Good Morning All. A warmer start to today at 45° and cloudy, well warmer than yesterday's 30°. Mild day predicted for today and then overnight lows in the mid-20's starting Monday. The predicted rain tomorrow might be tricky if it is still raining at sunset. 60° temperatures return Thursday for a few days. Typical fall for here. Speaking of the fall leaves, I shred them with the mower and collect them in the grass catcher to use in the garden. Really helps loosen my clay soil and adds nutrients when worked into the ground in the spring. Trees draw their nutrients from deep down where garden plants don't reach.
Continuing to make progress on the bathroom remodel, finished with most of the walls, I have to now remove the old vanity and toilet to complete that wall and start on the trim. Sun was out for a while so I trimmed up a bit more firewood from branches that I pruned last winter and spring.
I didn't spend as much time as I planned out in the train shed yesterday, so all I really attempted was to run some trains. I did dust off a diner and re-glued a couple of the figures that fell over. That re-positionable adhesive doesn't work with all poses.

Curt - I will be replacing the old ivory outlets and light switches as well, with new white ones in a couple of days. I generally have to wait until my wife isn't home so she isn't standing besides me freaking out and unnecessarily admonishing me to be careful. Duh! Circuit breakers dear! She has no understanding of how things work.
Joe -
Unfortunately, urban areas seem to attract stupid and arrogant people, who ultimately flee to suburban areas, but never learn their lesson.
Urban areas are not alone. You would be surprised at the number of "yuppies" that move to the country on their five acre ranchettes that don't last more than 18 months. I occasionally drive through a small development to see friends about five miles from here, and the "For Sale" signs seem to rotate from house to house with great regularity. They don't understand that it's ten miles to the grocery store, school and fast food outlets and 25 miles to the nearest drug store or WalMart. And because many of them are too uppity to put their kids on the school bus, there's that twice daily 20 mile round trip to the school. High school is even further.
Greg - I once sold about 300 pair of plastic horn-hook couplers to a dealer at a train show for $3. He said that there was a market for them. You're not a model railroad hoarder are you? o_O I admit to it and find stuff every now and then that I don't remember buying! I just wish that I could find a stash of metal wheelsets as I am out and have to purchase some more.
Louis - Nice museum pictures. I like the Marshall speaker as well. Great video of "Sixteen Tons". Brings back memories of my younger days when my beard was as red and nearly as long as Billy Gibbons'. Enjoyed "Radar Love" as well. Always makes me drive faster when I hear it in the car!:cool:

Traditional Veteran's Day today. Thanks to all the veteran's out there, forum members or not.
Everybody have a great day.

Hello Veterans .... Sincere thanks for serving our great country.

Louis ... Thanks for the B&O Museum photos. ....

In a hurry.... Will be late to church .... See you alter.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone...cold and partly cloudy in this part of Wisconsin. Was in the train room for about an hour this morning, just not in the mood.

Louis: I listened to the Hollies' 1971 "Long Cool Woman" and it brings back memories of an old former teen beer bar I visited many times and the bar would hold upwards of 3,000 dancing and drinking kids. When the legal age for hard liquor changed to 18, the bar still remained popular and attracted the younger crowd. The bar usually had two bands that played continuously from 8-12:00 AM they did book some national acts. One band I remember well is Sha Na Na!!!

A friend of mine said their river boat's theme in Nam was "Long Cool Woman" second only to "Proud Mary".

I love music and in the Packer room downstairs we have Altec Lansing speakers which are the same type speakers Disney used to listen to their record masters. I purchased the speakers in 1971 and the sales advisor said I would have them until I was old. Well here I am old and I still like to crank up the volume, have a drink or two and listen to Roll 'n Roll and songs from my collection of party music and Oldies. While the wooded speaker cabinets are dated, the 35 pound magnets in the woofers still do the job.

Bruette: One year I decorated the house's exterior and I over-did with lights and a deer herd made from grape vines. Looked great, but then its going to be dismantled in January and that's no fun when it's 0 degrees outside. My other theory is why decorate the exterior, when I sit inside and can't see the results of my work?

Willie: I just have a bunch of Accumate couplers, the horn and hook couplers are in the trash immediately upon discovery. You're correct about the Yuppies and moving to the county. We have neighbors near the cabin who only eat what they shot, came from a lake or their grew in their garden. It's a 46 mile drive to the nearest Home Depot for us.

Chet: Good luck at the bowling tournament.

Maybe tomorrow I'll return to the layout with new energy. I have some freight yard sound tapes that I play when working on the layout. They can really set the mood.

Main project is looking for an envelope that has some mini parts that I can't replace for a shay locomotive.

A salute to all the veterans and thank you for your service to our country.

That's all for now.

Greg

######################

Last edited:
Ore cars that are in service on the Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern railroad.

Weathered with washes and powders.

Ore car.jpg

A well worn ALCO pushes a pair of ore cars.

New Ore Cars.jpg

Real ore car used as a model for the weathered ore cars on my Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad.

G38-PC-Ore-Car.jpg

See ya all.

Greg

Good morning fellow Rail Benders & Spike Drivers.

A Heart Felt Tribute to all Veterans! Our Great Nation wouldn't be what it is without your Service & Sacrifices! Hats off to all of you !!

Hello Flo & Francine, how are you both, good to see your keeping Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner in such good shape. Coffee and a Apple Fritter with extra butter & Cinnamon.

The weather here in the Eastern foothills of Central Calif. is cooling off considerably. This morning's low was 36°F with a high of 68°F, there is a slight breeze right now of probably .5 to 3 mph.

I need to get up on the roof and check the plastic sheeting cooler cover as it appears the Ravens have torn it up quite a bit which lets quite a draft of cold air blow down the vent tubes.

RR'ing:
About the only thing I did was to use the WS track send to go over some of my rail but have more to do. I did try a run an old Climax loco a few days ago and found out then my track was probably dirty.

I'd better get busy or it won't get done.

Hope all have a very good day!

Afternoon All,

Today we replaced the baseboard in the dining room, pulled everything out of the bird room, cleaned cages, scrubbed the floor (tile) and I repaired a section of a wall the birds got to. We also went out to lunch at Red Robin for a free meal for veterans with Mom & Dad. My Dad is retired from the Army and served in Vietnam and Kathy and I both retired from the Navy.

Greg- Really nice job on the ore cars.

CA Dave- Good to see you back on the forum. I hope you're safe from the fires.

Sherrel- I also hope you're safe from the fires.

Louis- Nice looking furniture. I really like the old time feel of the speaker. Very nice B&O pictures.

Joe- All we have here are oak trees. When they start falling I usually have to rake the yard 4 times before they're done shedding. Happy Belated Birthday. Somehow I missed the posts about it.

Willie- That's funny. We just changed ours from white to ivory:D.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon or evening, Well I made it up & down ok but we're my Left leg muscles twitching while up there as I had to move around the cooler several times before I got the job done as well doing a slight bit of roof repair. Anyway, I'm beat now. Nap time.

Good evening ....

Willie .... I had no idea horn hook couplers had any value. I toss mine in the trash along with plastic wheels.

Greg .... Your ore cars look fantastic along with the scenery next to them.

Dave Trussrod ... Thanks for joining others to comment on my photo.

Here is our Christmas tree that my wife wanted up early. .... Of course Lionel trains belong under a Christmas tree. I have had these trains for many years. I just added the Central Vermont boxcar.

30881689687_a9b629604a_k.jpg

30881686957_958145fc4f_k.jpg

Good evening fellow Rail Benders & Spike Drivers.

Again a Heart Felt Tribute to all Veterans! Our Great Nation wouldn't be what it is without your Service & Sacrifices!
Hats off to all of you !!

Good evening Flo & Francine, glad to see your keeping Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner in such good shape. Coffee and a piece of Minced Meat pie.

The weather here in the Eastern foothills of Central Calif. is cooling off considerably. The current temp is 50°F with the morning's low only at 44°F with a high of 69°F, there is a slight breeze right now of probably .5 to 4 mph. according to the App.

Curt: Thanks for noticing my post, it's appreciated as well as your concern for my safety with the fires prior, they fortunately were not close. I was also concerned for you and the torrential rains and flooding. Glad you escaped that!

Garry: Your welcome of course for my compliments about your pictures.

Chet: Thanks for your mentioning me in the past. Many of the parting rail pictures you post are very interesting.

Sherrel:. The mine shot and switch was interesting too in that everything was above ground level with no distinguish able hoisting woks?!

Willie: Thanks for your nocice of my posting in the past too. I also found it interesting that horn hook coupler's had any value. I have a bunch of them too, but nothing like you accumulated.

Every one have a good night and day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Louis - Nice museum pictures. I like the Marshall speaker as well. Great video of "Sixteen Tons". Brings back memories of my younger days when my beard was as red and nearly as long as Billy Gibbons'. Enjoyed "Radar Love" as well. Always makes me drive faster when I hear it in the car!:cool:

Willie, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.

That Marshall is also a bluetooth speaker/amp. It's very versatile with several inputs. Not to mention it brings back memories of Black Sabbath, Motorhead and many other bands that used Marshall stacks. That reminds me I can add another and more and have a mini-Marshall stack, but I don't see the need for it, it's plenty loud all by itself.

That brings me to a question for you; what percentage of hard rock bands used Marshall stacks? Probably impossible to answer, but If you were to guess. As many bands as you have seen I'll bet the number you guess will be close enough.

I enjoyed that version of "sixteen tons" myself and I found it by luck! Do you have any pictures of "Red Beard". Who knew there were pirates in central Texas? :) I never did have a beard, couldn't get past the itch!

Oh those days of the throttle being almost linear with the music being played, I remember them well! "radar love" was good for that. "space trucking" inspired me to get my first speeding ticket in my 1976 Olds. Song came on, I punched the throttle west bound on Pulaski Hwy in Rosedale, MD. Then I saw the flashing lights, I knew the area, but the song took over. I had a tape deck from radio shack that played through my AM radio. Not the best sound, but good music always sounds good. It only gets better with hi-fi equipment.
My first car was a 1965 Galixy 500 convertible with a rebuilt 390. I never got a speeding ticket in that one. It so loud I was always careful to look for the police, especially before taking off from stop lights when the car was the loudest. To this day I still say "nothing sounds as good as an old school V-8 Ford". Believe it or not it was one of my first girl friends that pointed that out to me. She had a firebird and asked me "why does your car sound so much better?" After that I took notice and I can still hear and recognize an old school V-8 before I see the vehicle. She was a classically trained musician, really good ear. By the way; after I introduced her to heavy metal she started a new band, Scarlett Angel and she still plays small clubs. She has made a few CDs, but I have not heard anything from them. Goodbye, means goodbye in my book. You know me and my crazy self-imposed rules.

Louis: I listened to the Hollies' 1971 "Long Cool Woman" and it brings back memories of an old former teen beer bar I visited many times and the bar would hold upwards of 3,000 dancing and drinking kids. When the legal age for hard liquor changed to 18, the bar still remained popular and attracted the younger crowd. The bar usually had two bands that played continuously from 8-12:00 AM they did book some national acts. One band I remember well is Sha Na Na!!!

A friend of mine said their river boat's theme in Nam was "Long Cool Woman" second only to "Proud Mary".

I love music and in the Packer room downstairs we have Altec Lansing speakers which are the same type speakers Disney used to listen to their record masters. I purchased the speakers in 1971 and the sales advisor said I would have them until I was old. Well here I am old and I still like to crank up the volume, have a drink or two and listen to Roll 'n Roll and songs from my collection of party music and Oldies. While the wooded speaker cabinets are dated, the 35 pound magnets in the woofers still do the job.

Bruette: One year I decorated the house's exterior and I over-did with lights and a deer herd made from grape vines. Looked great, but then its going to be dismantled in January and that's no fun when it's 0 degrees outside. My other theory is why decorate the exterior, when I sit inside and can't see the results of my work.

Greg, the Vietnam era had lots of great music, that is for sure!

I see music as a gift from God, I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your gift.

Hmm 3000... approximately 1500 young ladies looking to have fun... my kind of place!

Those memories we have from the "fun" days are priceless.

I love those old speakers, I had them 4 of them. Mine were 5' tall and had to weigh close to 100lbs each. The cones of all of my speakers dry rotted. I held on to them for years thinking I would replace the speakers, but never did. I miss them. Now I'm jealous ;)

Zero... zero, Holy Mackerel Andy!!! Even I would rethink decorating outside! In Baltimore 60 is not uncommon in December. I wait for a warm sunny day before decorating. My hands won't work more than a few minutes below 40.

Thanks for sharing with me, I enjoyed it! :)

Louis Bruette ;)

Here is our Christmas tree that my wife wanted up early. .... Of course Lionel trains belong under a Christmas tree. I have had these trains for many years. I just added the Central Vermont boxcar.

30881689687_a9b629604a_k.jpg

30881686957_958145fc4f_k.jpg

Fantastic picture, that is how you do Christmas!!! I love the lights reflecting in the glass. I love the cat as well. Reminds me of my late cat Noel, she loved the Christmas tree and would lay under it for hours. Not to mention the great trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back