Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 30° and clear, officially the first frost of the season coming one day earlier than average. Next frost is Monday and Tuesday then back into the 60's for a while. Busy morning yesterday, I was expecting a doctor visit, grocery store visit, stop for gas, then the Vitamin Shop and Target. Wife added a trip to the wine store, Dollar General, post office and an outing to a BBQ joint for take-out. Doctor visit went well, it was an ENT and he treated my problem ear with some kind of ultrasound rinse to get rid of excessive earwax. Nothing more serious, thankfully. There was too much in there for the over the counter stuff to resolve.
Out in the train shed later on, I made more progress on the chain-link fence than I had in over a week. I also continued to add ground cover to a couple of other areas. Nothing like colder weather to confine me indoors. In between letting glue set up, I added about a dozen figures to various places, I have been painting them sporadically for the last two weeks. I still have a stash of about 100 that I have painted over the last few years for eventual placement on yet to be developed parts of the layout. I love figures on the layout, they bring things to life and I estimate that I already have over 600 of them on the layout, mostly hand-painted by me. My previous layout was in an unheated room on the back side of my barn, so I spent many winter mornings at the dining room table painting Preiser and other figures. Plans today call for ballasting the section of main line that I painted a few days ago.

Justin - Quite a nice looking trio of cabooses. Glad to read that all is going well. BTW, new babies are a handful for 18+ years! LOL:D
Johnny - You're supposed to mellow this weather that Chet sends before it gets here.
Milwaukee Road 113 - Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Last that I remember you were displaying a handful of Milwaukee cabooses. How's that collection coming. along?
Garry - Very nice picture yesterday. PS - I like your comment regarding Lionel and history!
Sherrel - 90¢ /gallon?!?! It would almost pay to drive to the border every time. For comparison, yesterday's price for regular here (no discount) was $2.13/gallon. With my Kroger fuel points, it was $1.83.
Fantastic pictures of the mine bridge and RR.
Chet - Good luck in the tournament.
Terry - Did the machine get fixed?
Mark - I can't deal with temperatures that begin with the minus sign. Stay warm.

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. Happy Birthday.
Everybody have a great day and weekend.

Last edited:
Willie, the machine needed to be rebooted. I think I pissed off the technician when I told him I didn't know Microsoft made dialysis machines...

Oh yeah, how could I forget. I also had to change 5 electrical outlets and 2 light switches and covers for all of them because they had previously been painted to match the old color paint.:eek:
I almost missed this post.

I have the same task on my to do list.

1541860090263.png

Good Morning y'all 42° and windy with dropping temperatures, and leaves everywhere. This is the time of year when I hate trees. :rolleyes:

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. Tomorrow is Veterans Day, and Monday is Federal Veterans day Celebrated.

For the record, I love my city, I will never leave and for the most part it is a peaceful and safe place, just don't be stupid.

That applies everywhere. Unfortunately, urban areas seem to attract stupid and arrogant people, who ultimately flee to suburban areas, but never learn their lesson. In my township, election day became an issue because so many polling places are located in school gyms. Parents are carrying stranger danger to another level.

Boris

That applies everywhere. Unfortunately, urban areas seem to attract stupid and arrogant people, who ultimately flee to suburban areas, but never learn their lesson. In my township, election day became an issue because so many polling places are located in school gyms. Parents are carrying stranger danger to another level.
Boris
Boris, you are absolutely correct! The millennials revitalizing several of Baltimore's neighborhoods Canton, Federal Hill, areas around any of a number of city parks and others. These row homes sell for $250,000 and up! Had I known what was coming I could have bought 100 of those very same row homes for $250,000 just 20 years ago. The millennials are naïve at first, then they become paranoid, then they move out like George W. Bush's daughter did.

My daughter's area of Canton is starting at $450,000 now. Her house has almost doubled in value, but the city average is 3%/year. My house is worth anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 more than what I paid less than 1 year ago depending on the source. If some values are going up so fast that has to mean some are going down just as fast for the average to be only 3%.

The area I live in is more like the suburbs. My Street is all single homes. When I first moved in we had a few undesirables occasionally wondering through. I go out front at all hours of the day and night. I walk my wife to her car every morning at 4:30am. If I see someone that looks like they are out of place, I speak to them. Now we don't see them. Watching the police blotter in the paper I see we have not had a break in on my street since they broke open my front door last December. Residents have to take back our streets, but in some neighborhoods that just can not be done.

I think it was in the Baltimore Sun I read, Baltimore is a city with pockets of prosperity as opposed to New York that has pockets of poverty.

The millennials are surprised when they can't have packages left unattended on their door step. Break ins and muggings occur with regularity. They ask me when I am delivering; why is this happening in their nice neighborhood? I tell them the truth, it's the areas surrounding you.

I don't like to delver to the "nice" areas of Baltimore. I have to call every customer, otherwise their packages will disappear. Addicts go "shopping" in these nice areas. It's not a problem delivering in the depressed areas, packages don't disappear from those homes. I can't tell you why.

Expected high of 78 today - sunny and clear - light winds locally.

Willie - Reality is the stupidity of voters: The gasoline repeal measure was voted down! The reverse wording worked in the politicians favor.

In other news: Nero Newsom fiddles while Rome CA burns!

It's time to give the pup her pain and antibacterial pills - she has been pretty good about me hiding them in a "blob" of peanut butter (still have to pry her mouth open).

Now it's time for me to put together some stuff my wife bought. I hope the directions are better than they were with the last thing. One step was backwards. I spent 30 minutes figuring out what happened and taking it back apart to correct it. She went to Gavigan's to buy the same things, but the prices were almost 10 times more, at least I would not have to assemble that! My wife is even cheaper than I am, that is saying something!

Karl, you should be proud of me, I did not take the bait :)

Where are you? I hope everything is ok.

Good Morning Everyone.....clear and cold this morning in Wisconsin. Light snow over night ....again. Winters here!!!

Worked in the layout room yesterday afternoon, but first did an order for ModelTrainStuff. I ordered 25 pair of KD Whisker couplers only to discover that in my wheel, coupler, and screw department (a large plastic box with dividers) that I had a lot bunch of KD #5's. Anyone want some plastic couplers??? I also did order some HO pumpkins after seeing Garry's pumpkin patch. AC was cheap and I ordered two bottles and another spool of EZ Line for the wiring of my utility poles. I didn't want to start wiring the poles and then find out I was short on wiring supplies.

I really should of ordered some wheel sets.

I ran a Proto C&NW GP 7 with Tsunami sound and LED lighting. The loco has been sitting idle for months and operated flawlessly. It ran for at least two hours pulling two cons and a C&NW caboose that haven't seen much mileage.

My mini-camera arrived yesterday from Amazon. Really small in size, but it will record for 100 minutes. The camera and a 32 GB card for less than $30.00.

I have a gutted Proto 2000 C&NW SW 1500 and I'm rewiring it for a DCC decoder. So far so good. The motor tested out real good on DC, but I'm looking for the loco's shell. Nice afternoon project and I'll continue working on it this afternoon.

Started to weather more ore cars, three which have been disassembled for a year or so. I thought had I to do six from a set of 12, but all already did those three last winter, the other six are still in the box. Going to try using Pan Pastels for the weathering. 60+ cars done with 300 more to go. I want to finish the three cars before I lose any parts. All the cars with be weathered, various degrees, metal wheel sets, KD couplers and Chooch ore loads with Woodland Scenics ore attached to the top of Chooch loads.

My goal was once to do a unit train of 100 ore cars and I would buy the Walther's ore cars on sale in 4, 6 and 12 sets. It was after I started to do an inventory of my rolling stock that I discovered that I have approximately 360 ore and taconite cars. I knew I was going over my goal of 100 cars, but had no idea that had that many ore cars. My favorite ore cars are the "Patched" C&NW ore cars by Walthers. At a swap meet I purchase a glossy book call the Michigan-Ontario Iron Ore Railroads. Lots of interesting information and photographs.

The Mrs. went shopping and I hope she likes the cold spell.

That's all for now.

Greg

################################

Last edited:
Good Afternoon.................finished for the day down in the layout room.

Weathered three ore cars using Pan Pastels and I like the results and they are easy to use. Cemented the ore from Woodland Scenic on the Chooch loads.

Painted an oil tank for Waupaca. Tomorrow some weathering.

That's all for now.

Greg

############

Fellers!!! It has been awhile! New babies are a handful. I haven't forgotten the hobby though. I have found some time to do some shopping. Made a decent score on eBay this past week. I scored three C&O cabeese for $14 including shipping. They more than likely aren't to prototype specs but they are good enough. Opens the door to run pre Chessie system at my choosing. Anyways all is well here in West Virginia. I hope everything going well for yall. View attachment 31634

Say Justin: That's a Crummy looking scene if I ever saw one? LoL. Congrats on that score, hard to beat that! I'm fairly sure that even back a fair number of years RR prototype models were being very authenticly reproduced.

I hope everything is going along well for you and family.

Howdy.

I went with friends to a train show in Evansville, IN . Busy with other stuff too . I’m getting behind reading posts. Sorry I can’t comment on all now.

Thanks to Boris, Chet, Willie, Curt and any I missed who commented on my photo. You guys are too kind.

Louis, I thought of requesting from you photos from the B&O museum in Baltimore. Looks like you may have done that with the old B&O sleeper in that photo . I don’t recall seeing that paint scheme before. Looks nice . ... Do not worry . I have no problems with you and hope you do not with me. ... One of my purchases at train show was a Lionel boxcar to add to the train we use under the Christmas tree.

Everybody.... Happy Model Railroading!

Good Morning y'all 42° and windy with dropping temperatures, and leaves everywhere. This is the time of year when I hate trees. :rolleyes:

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. Tomorrow is Veterans Day, and Monday is Federal Veterans day Celebrated.

Boris

Boris and other Marine's: A belated 'Happy Birthday !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back