Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all. Happy Sunday! 78° and sunny with a 30% chance of severe thunder storms later.

Dave and Willie: Thanks for posting those photos , modeling and real life.

Willie: The Masonic Temple kit looks challenging. I'm looking forward to the finished result. Every town of any consequence has (or had) a Masonic Lodge. Frequently the only thing distinguishing the Temple from the rest of the buildings was the Compass and Square. somewhere on the face of the structure. Where I grew up the Lodge was on the opposite corner from the KofC building, which also housed the local Pep boys.

Yesterday, it was clearly obvious that the summer season was on, despite the cooler temperatures, as slow moving aircraft towing the Coors Light banner and others promoting other products flew overhead frequently. Meanwhile, I started to fit track together for my layout expansion.
The CNJ Passenger train has made it's annual appearance on the layout. It will remain to Labor Day.

Please take time to remember those for whom we dedicate Memorial Day.

Boris

Stayed up too late last night, so slow moving this morning. Spousal Unit and I have become "fixed" to the Netflex series of the show "Longmire"! He is a sheriff in a small town somewhere in WY - and there is always something going on. Neither of us can hardly wait to watch the next episode ... usually after dinner.
Longmire is excellent. It's just a little weird, though, how they manage to repeatedly teleport between northern Wyoming, Denver and southern Texas. All I'll say about the plot is, the final episode does not disappoint and is a satisfying wrap for the series.

One thing, though, was very disturbing, and that is the portrait of the Whites as seen through Native American eyes. Our experiences with Native Americans is almost nil, and only as tourists, but we were never treated with the disgust and contempt that you see on the show. It's hard to know what to think.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent around 90 minutes on the tank car. I stopped when I did because the weight that goes into the bottom of 4 tank pieces has to be completely dry before assembling the tank.

Dave- I'll post pictures of the flat cars when I get them back after paint and decaling. I'll take a picture of the tank car progress tomorrow. The building and tank will be a great scratch build.

Sherrel- I used to enjoy watching Longmire when it was on regular TV. When it went off the regular channels I wasn't able to watch it anymore.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here is what our place looks like, the fence is a work in progress:

index.php
Dave. Your fence looks like the sort of job that painting the Sydney Harbor Bridge would be like. Once you get to the other end you go back to where you started and do it all over again.

Unbelievable .... Temp has not been above 56 today and It started to rain around 7 PM; it's been peppering down now pretty steady for almost 2 hours and we maybe have a quarter to one-half inch. I did remember to place out my "bucket" so I will check it tomorrow morning.
I did manage to finish the shelving in the pantry that SWMBO wanted put up.
Tonight we watched 4 more episodes of "Longmire" - think that brings us to 16 now. Is this what is called binge watching?

DAVE - Why the fence? Does it have a purpose?

BEADY - I have noticed that about the rapport. I have lived in Albuquerque and SW Colorado. I have never been treated in any sort of ill way. Perhaps it is just to make the storyline?

BEADY - I have noticed that about the rapport. I have lived in Albuquerque and SW Colorado. I have never been treated in any sort of ill way. Perhaps it is just to make the storyline?
Perhaps. In one of the middle/later episodes, however (and I'm trying not to give too much away), the attitude is explained when a Lakota(?) prisoner recounts an incredible barbaric practice forced over time on the tribes by the whites. Initially, it sounded like an over-the-top work of florid and gratuitous exposition; not long after I saw that episode, though, I discovered that the Canadian government has been (and still is?) committing the same atrocity on their First Nations. In both cases it was done "for the tribes' own good."

I may sound a bit dramatic but, honestly, the only other occasion I've heard similar stories is in works like Schindler's List. I wouldn't blame the Indians if they really do hate us.

Anyway, I spent this afternoon assembling some buildings for the layout. My hands were shaking badly today, but the Kato kits don't require glue or paint. I also finally unearthed my tools and got them organized. Mind, this is all being done at the expense of straightening out the rest of the basement. I don't even have a worktable, all the tables are piled high with crap that I once thought I couldn't live without. And all those Lego kits are calling me.

So, it's 3:33 in the morning. I've been awake for an hour, and I'm trying to stay out of the basement. Now that I'm actually making progress on the layout, I can feel the first stirrings of a building frenzy. Think I'll try to overdose on some CBD oil to calm down a little.

Good morning....Sunny but 49, nice to do yard work in these temps but it would be great to have the temps in the normal upper 50's range in the morning.

Good Morning All. A little cooler this morning at 71° and partly cloudy. Feels better because the humidity is 64% today as opposed to the mid-80% of the last few days. High temperatures have been hitting 88° each afternoon.
Happy Memorial Day. Is it really appropriate to wish a Happy Memorial Day??? I think yes. We're remembering those who gave their lives for our country and we should be celebrating their bravery and courage; as well as celebrating their journey to their maker. We're also celebrating the freedoms that their bravery allow us today. I know that there are those who say no, death is a somber occasion. But I was raised believing that it is cause for celebrating ones life. So Happy Memorial Day to all and remember why the holiday was established.
I had a full day yesterday after church. Finished mowing the SFW estate, did laundry, worked a bit in the garden, watched a few laps of the Indy 500 and headed out to the train shed for a bit before grilling ham steaks for supper. Why am I so much more busy since retirement?;) Of course I spent some time in the freshly-opened pool as well.

Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's post; Dave, Sherrel, Phil, Joe, Jerome and Tom.

Out in the train shed, I made considerable progress with ground foam scenery. Today if I get a chance, I'll be working on the roadway approaching and between the grade crossings that I completed last week. Didn't have a chance to sit at the workbench and do anything with the Masonic Lodge.

Since I really don't have any current progress pictures, I rummaged around and came up with some pictures that I took back in 2011; around the corner from where I worked. The Museum of the American Railroad was moving equipment from their old location to their new location and parked their ATSF doodlebug M-160 on a team track in Carrollton TX for a couple of days, while waiting to get clearance from BNSF to proceed to Frisco, TX.
03-23-11 040.JPG

03-23-11 036.JPG

03-23-11 035.JPG

03-23-11 032.JPG

It traveled under it's own power and pulled that Pullman coach as well.

Dave - Nice view. That's where the retirement place is going to be if I remember correctly. Is that a wildflower meadow beyond the fence?
Sherrel - Neighbor is currently remaining low-key. I spoke with him very briefly (three sentences) when he came by last week to pay me the monthly fee for using my under-utilized trash dumpster. He has been spending his time cleaning up the property which wasn't mowed or maintained for seven years. The HOA didn't notice!:oops:
Beady - Nice progress on the roundhouse and turntable. Looking forward to Area 51. Congratulations also to your grandson with his life's milestone.
Joe - Regarding the Masonic Lodge; the cut-outs are proving to be a bit daunting even with a brand new single-edge blade. Despite my best efforts, I still seem to have some fraying cardboard to deal with. It may not be too consequential since I am planning to use it at the back of the shelf, I also have to see what sanding can do. Despite this, I still think that it will be an enjoyable although lengthy build.
Where I grew up the Lodge was on the opposite corner from the KofC building,
That must have been a bit uncomfortable to some folks!
Tom - Good to see you here. Been on vacation? I miss your club layout pictures.

Everybody have a great day.

Stayed up too late last night, so slow moving this morning. Spousal Unit and I have become "fixed" to the Netflex series of the show "Longmire"! He is a sheriff in a small town somewhere in WY - and there is always something going on. Neither of us can hardly wait to watch the next episode ... usually after dinner.

We discovered Longmire a couple years back and watched every episode, they had copies at our local library and we watched for a couple hours a night until we saw every episode.

One thing, though, was very disturbing, and that is the portrait of the Whites as seen through Native American eyes. Our experiences with Native Americans is almost nil, and only as tourists, but we were never treated with the disgust and contempt that you see on the show. It's hard to know what to think.

Beady,

I spent many years living and working on Indian Reservations beginning in 1981.. The last few projects, ending in 2011, I have noticed a marked contempt many Native Americans hold towards Whites. While at first I respected the native traditions, I now avoid any contact with them. I realize they are not all the same, however there is real hatred evident towards whites by many. Now that I live in a big city, I see much of the same coming from some members of the black community, unfortunately.

Dave

Last edited:
Good morning, now that I am caught up reading... we have 55 and cloudy/rain.

First, a moment of respect to those who fought for our countries freedom.

Now, about the fence. It is meant to be a decoration. It is also a use of excess trees on the property, as well as an excercise in pioneer craft. This is the actual method fencing was constructed on rocky ground and/or pre wire. When trees were larger they would split several pieces of a log, hence they wee called "split rail" fences. I think the wisdom of it is as the wood rots, new logs can be simply added to the top. In my case it will not actually hold in any cattle.

Willie-- it is mostly raspberries, goldenrods, and milkweed. Today they would call it a "butterfly garden" some of it has been converted to lawn already, we have the riding lawn mower already!

My layout photo for today will be another powerline shot, I think I have 4 more.

With this photo the attention was usually directed to the gravel scene. The powerline, however, is right there in the center.

_MG_5598.jpg

Hope you all have a great day.

Last edited:
Goodness -- It's already 7 AM. Spent the past hour reading posts, checking the weather,getting my first cup of coffee, and giving the dogs a little attention and play.
As suspected the amount of rainfall is slightly over 1/4 inch, but it allows me to turn off the yard sprinklers for a couple days depending on the amount of sun and how warm it gets during the day. I did not watch much of the race yesterday; about 10 laps at the start and the last 10 or so. Have to say that the Indy cars really move!
Clouds seem to have gone away and the Present temp is 50 and 62 will be about the high (normal is 78 and record is 99 set in 2000).

Being that it is Memorial Day, I was sitting here thinking of how much many, many families have given for this Country.
The cousin of mine who just recently departed joined the Army right out of H/S; he was the youngest of 4 brothers - 2 of whom also joined the Army and 1 the Air Force. The one who went into the Air Force married a lady who had a young son and a daughter whom he adopted and really loved. The boy joined the Army right out of H/S and was in the scouting spearhead of the armored vehicles in the first Gulf War where he was killed by "Frindly Fire". I do not remember if it was by air, or land forces.
The couple really never recovered from their loss!

Well - coffee cup is bare - time for a refill!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier and spent about 90 minutes on the tank car. It sure doesn't look like I have 6 hours into the build but everything is plastic with the exception of brake lines and hand rails. I found the date on the bottom of the instructions and it is 1987! Working on the brake rigging and it looks like the directions are 180 out from the picture, so I'm following the picture.

Willie- The Doodlebugs were strange looking motive power especially with the War Bonnet (I believe) paint job on it.

Dave- Looks like a nice piece of land. Nice layout shot.

20190527_144553-2016x1512.jpg

20190527_144616-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. It's mostly sunny here, with an impending severe thunderstorm.
We went to Lagrange, Ohio, to visit friends of ours whose health is sliding. She is battling stage 4b breast cancer that's metastisized to her lymph nodes, and he just got out of the hospital after having surgery for a bypass, stents, and an arterial graft.

Now, about the fence. It is meant to be a decoration. It is also a use of excess trees on the property, as well as an excercise in pioneer craft. This is the actual method fencing was constructed on rocky ground and/or pre wire. When trees were larger they would split several pieces of a log, hence they wee called "split rail" fences. I think the wisdom of it is as the wood rots, new logs can be simply added to the top. In my case it will not actually hold in any cattle.
So I was semi-right. It is a continuing maintenance/renewal operation.. When I replaced my old wooden paling front fence a few months ago with colorbond steel, I thought barring someone running into it, I would avoid that. A few weeks ago I realized that too, was a forlorn hope.
1559000773986.png

Terry .... I'm sorry to hear about your friends having serious health issues.

Toot .... Sorry to hear about your steel fence was damaged . What was wrong with that driver, and will he pay for the damage?

More photos from the Utah trip...

The Union Pacific station in Salt Lake City is magnificent. It is empty, but open to the public. Stained glass window were remarkable.

46958727665_a8286bfc9c_k.jpg

40908543393_c482596a8f_k.jpg

32930811507_1bfbf67481_k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back