Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

Thanks for all the comments on the log cars. Too bad the logs cover up the work on the car. I never really thought of this but you can't really pull the log cars around much empty, they have so little weight in them

Mark, Too bad you had such a crummy sailing day

Willie, interesting old photos from yesterday. Like your crossing over the switch track

Chet, thanks for checking out the LASM thread

Here is another shot of the log cars, also a layout photo (edge of layout)

3 log cars.jpg

edge of layout.jpg

Everyone, have a great day!

good-morning-dogs-smiley-emoticon.gif Got a wake up call at 0330 because one of the doxies was hungry. Over did the PT exercises and couldn't sleep anyway. 38 degrees to start off the day.

Mark - Glad to see the boat is probably in a safe place. Hope there isn't too much damage.

Mark - The log cars really look good with them loaded. That backdrop you put on your old layout made such a difference. Are you going to be able to use it on your new layout?

Willie. - Great photos again. I really like the work you did on the grade crossing. I see a lot of empty space in the first photo, but the way you've been working, I'm sure that you'll have some structures there in short order. The weather looks a but damp in your neck of the woods so I guess you'll be in the train shed again.

This is about as close as I get to gardening now.

thumbnail_20190520_144729.jpg

With another cool and overcast day, I'll probably head down to the train room for a while. PT tomorrow and I hope I don't get beat up too bad as I'm really looking forward to getting over to the club on Thursday afternoon.

Later

It seems my Big Boy got to Athearn sometime Friday. They haven't contacted me, and USPS doesn't indicate that Athearn has rejected it, so maybe... I hope they decide to fix it; it's out of warranty, but it just sat in the box since purchase. Of course I'm willing to pay for repairs, but I didn't give any financial information in my cover letter.

I hate waiting without hearing anything, but I got really good at in in the Coast Guard. Sigh.

Afternoon All,

Just got back from visiting my parents. Nothing to report train wise. I did call Jon and Phil and we're going to meet up on Thursday.

Garry- I hope you're MIL is doing well. Interesting plow and steam pictures. You should of got closer to the tracko_O.

Willie- Very nice grade crossing. I also like the old slab but it needs weeds growing in the cracks just like my driveway:(.

Dave- I've always have liked that tiny yard tower.

Chet- Neat little garden plot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy this AM! It's 46 degrees and supposed to rain much of the day. So far the weekend looks pretty good, cloudy Saturday, high 65, Sunny Sunday high of 65 and P.C. Monday and high of 64! Maybe things will dry out!

Good evening, It's 10:10pm, 63 deg and mostly clear, s'posed to be fine tomorrow. Will make a nice change to the showery weather we've been having most of this month. G'night.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 65°. Warm muggy time of year around here with afternoon highs near 90°, overnight lows near 70° and a chance of rain every day. Been pretty slow here in the Coffee Shop lately Flo, how about a couple of ham, egg & cheese biscuits for me.
I have to return with my wife to the same doctor again Friday that she has seen the last two days. I did get an answer regarding the multiple visits; it seems that Medicare will not pay for an office visit and a procedure done on the same day. Meanwhile I am stuck with making several extra 50 mile round trips. Sigh! The good news is that the echocardiogram done yesterday showed that all was normal and that she should be cleared for the knee replacement surgery.

Thanks Garry, Dave, Chet, Phil, Curt, Mark, Jerome, for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's post.

I made no further progress yesterday in the train shed. I just felt like running trains for the short period that I had out there. Today won't be much different time-wise as I need to be harvesting onions, weather permitting.
Here's a couple of business that occupy space on the layout that I don't believe I have posted before.
First up is the Golden Dragon Chinese food establishment, a Walther's kit.
05-20-19 017.JPG

Then I've got the Totem Pole Trading Post, a laser-cut kit from Blair Line that is sold as "Roadside Tourist Trap". Porch details are mine. I recently found a tobacco store Indian that I am going to modify and add next to the stuffed bear.
05-20-19 015.JPG

Dave - That crossing was certainly an interesting modeling experience. I can't say that I have ever tried anything like that before. I freelanced it the whole way, as I couldn't locate any pictures or examples in the prototype world.
Chet - I'm not too sure how soon I will be able to fill in some of those blank areas yet. I have run out of stockpiled buildings and kits that are appropriate for what I am after. I may have to just have vacant lots for a while until I can find something. If I had the kits, the area would be filled rather quickly.
Garry - Great job on yesterday's (and all of the other) pictures. That Big Boy is really a magnificent beast. There's a static one at The Museum of the American Railroad about 50 miles away in Frisco TX. It moves on the rails, just not under it's own power.
Curt -
I also like the old slab but it needs weeds growing in the cracks just like my driveway:(.
Weeds are still to come, along with trash, junk and maybe even a skunk!

Everybody have a fine day. That's my plan.

Good morning all, we have rain and 50. We are supposed to have a nice weekend here. It is crazy to try to drive anywhere on a holiday weekend, unless you can handle being in a swarm

Willie, the ham, egg, and cheese biscuit sounds good

Curt, I liked the small tower too, I ended up giving it away at a train show, a young person was eyeing it and it was near the close of the show, I told his mom he could have it as it didn't fit into what I was making

Mark, I did a lot of sailing with my nephew a couple summers ago. He bought a 40 footer and had it on lake superior. That was a blast, however the expense of the beast was going to bury him

Here is today's layout photo, the box cars are in the background:

some old trucks.jpg

Nice thing about modeling that era was the huge amount of stuff available.

more later, Dave

Good morning all, we have rain and 50. We are supposed to have a nice weekend here. It is crazy to try to drive anywhere on a holiday weekend, unless you can handle being in a swarm

Mark, I did a lot of sailing with my nephew a couple summers ago. He bought a 40 footer and had it on lake superior. That was a blast, however the expense of the beast was going to bury him. Dave

I've owned sailboats since 1974, 1st. a wooden Windmill 16 footer, Then a 13 foot Force 5, both where sailed from their trailers, then a 23 foot O'day 23 and finally in 1992 the current one, a 27 foot Mirage. I've done all the maintenance on all of these as I loved doing it, so my costs are not those of a 40 footer! It costs $1,000.00 in annual slip fees and it cost $38.00 for my share of the fees to crane my boat in, last weekend. I'm in a small marina on Leech Lake and my slip fees are a part of my total costs for boat and travel trailer there. I have no interest in having a larger boat as the work on a 27 footer is more than enough for me. I'm seriously considering putting my boat on the market this year and only having the Travel Trailer.

I'm still around -- Has not made it above 60 degrees the last several days ans today and tomorrow will not either. Been windy, cool, or cold to me, and still cloudly/overcast with 70% chance of rain again today and tomorrow.

Lots of posts to catch up on - enjoying all the photos folks!
I will comment on Willie's ... I have never seen a grade crossing over a frog - except a trolly's track in the street?
Doesn't mean that there is not one that I have not seen?

Good Morning Everyone....overcast at the present time but should become sunny later and warm up into the 70's. Finally Spring is here!!! Talked to a friend this morning who lives in Northern Wisconsin and they had 110 inches of snow just in February.

No big plans today other than my paper punch came from Micro-Mark yesterday and I'll make some scale lily pads. I mixed green, yellow and brown paint on a piece of copy paper to get a mixture of colors that lily pads have in nature. Watching a NMRA video by Gerry Leone make lily pads and cattails gave me the idea for this scenic detail. Cutting the "V's" in each lily pad will take some time. I hope to glue some pads in place today.

I have some box cars that I weathered with oils yesterday that are drying for the next step in the weathering process. I have to leave them alone until the oils dry which should be about a week before I apply the Dull Kote spray followed by powders.

Mark: We had a family friend who had a 43 footer on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin and the boat was constant maintenance and a great expense. Ken was always refinishing the wood trim. The expense of the boat to operate was unbelievable. We would visit Ken and his wife at the boat once a year and I watched him once re-fill the twin 400 gallon fuel tanks at the marina...talk about money. The boat was designed for long distance saltwater travel and Ken purchased it to travel throught the Great Lakes and then out to the Atlantic and run down to Florida when he retired. It was a beautiful craft.

Mark, my wife and her family used to spend their two week summer vacations at Leech Lake.

Tried to take some photgraphs yesterday but I just can't produce decent photographs with either my Canon SX610HS or my smart phone. The close ups are the problem. More practice is needed I guess.

That's about all for now.

Greg

##########################

Good morning. Another dismal day apparently just like Mark is having. 45 degrees with heavy overcast and light rain showers.

Just got back from physical therapy and I really got a work out. I think an ice pack may be in order.

Garry
- Those photos of 4014 were outstanding.

Dave - Another excellent photo. You are so right about having items for the transition era having a wealth of items available.

Willie - You cease to amaze my with all of the different businesses you are coming up with for your layout. Sherrel, I also will have a grade crossing over a frog if I ever get off my butt and get it done.

Yesterday I finally started on one of the projects on my procrastination list, putting in a pond. I poured a little bit of water into the area where the pond will be going in to get the level where the pond will be. The water did wick up into the ground cover, but dried out without any problems. Using hydrocal was a bit of an advantage as once hydrocal is set, water will not affect it. I cleaned up the ground cover where the pond will be going in and painted the pond area.

thumbnail_20190521_090759.jpg

thumbnail_20190521_100816.jpg

I thought I had some Woodland Scenics water, but if I did, I don't know where I put it. Got on line and tried to order some from MB Klein but after numerous tries, the payment would not go through. I thought there may be a problem with my debit card and tried my American Express card with the same results and went to another on line site and got the order completed with no problems.

Later in the day, I got an email from MB Klein mentioning that "I may have forgot something" by not completing the order. I responded mentioning that there may have been a glitch with their web site and ordered the items elsewhere. They were very sorry about the problem and would have their IT people check it out. That was a big suprise.

Time for an ice pack.

Later.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning with MOH deep cleaning our bedroom (moving furniture, etc.). After lunch we drove NE of Orlando (about 40 minutes) to pick up a nice freebie living room chair. We got it for Mom when she visits. It will be easier for her to get in/out of.

Never had a desire for a boat. I figure that I did enough boating for the Navy. It took my wife 10 years after I retired to convince me to take a cruise. I just couldn't see paying for the chance to go to sea,o_O...but it is a lot more fun. Our next one is in early September to Bermuda.

Willie- Good news about you're wife. Nice looking buildings and I see you have cobwebs also. I have a small porcelain skunk on my layout but it's very oversized (more like a cow) so it's hidden in trees.

Chet- That will be a nice location and sized pond.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

Still busy here .

We were in Nashville again yesterday . I had a medical appointment. Next we saw Shelley’s family including her Mom in Long Term Care.

We rescued a very young kitten found next to Shelley’s sister’s house in Nashville. It was only about three weeks old, and it was close to starving to death. We took it to an animal shelter, and were told a vet would take care of it. Hopefully, the poor little thing survived . We donated some money to the shelter and left.

We leave tomorrow for Cincinnati. We will attend our granddaughter’s graduation from High School. Unfortunately, our grandson in Grand Rapids , MI is graduating at the same time. We can’t do both.

Cheers.

Checking in after work and see Chet has a clever way to get his true pond boundary. I would have never thought of testing it with water.

I found my water product at the local hardware store. Can't remember what it was called but it really worked well! It did wick up a little but dried super hard in one coat and as deep as I wanted, it is a furniture product used to make the glossy coat on coffee tables and bars. something tells me it was two bottles that I mixed together.

Greg-- that Northern Wisconsin usually really gets dumped on. Especially around Ashland. They were so good at removing the snow, however; they would plow it into the middle of the street and haul it away immediately. Put the twin cities to shame.

The lily pads sound like a nice detail.

Mark, sounds like you have a good program with the sailboat. Leech lake is big enough to have some fun on.

Sherrel, I was wondering what you were up to

Garry, nice story about the kitten

Curt, neat thing about the free chair. Since we have been living in towns (about 4 years) we are amazed at how much furniture people put out on the curb for someone else to carry away. We have several nice pieces in our place that were got this way.

One exception is a beautiful solid antique red oak chest of drawers we picked up at a thrift store for $15.oo. It took a little tinkering but we will have that till we die. It is a nice small size and no laminated wood, beautifully grained and never painted.

see you in the morning, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back