Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Overcast and 72°, relative humidity at 86%, quite muggy. Current radar shows showers across the road about 200 yards away, visually confirmed by SFW. Temperature is not expected to go up until tomorrow afternoon sometime. Give me the works this morning Francine, two eggs over easy, sausage patties, English muffin and a big glass of OJ.
Had a relaxing day at home yesterday for a change, well at least it was at home. Mowed parts of the yard, hoed the tomato plants in the garden and put in 24 tomato cages. Still have more plants to add, but the soil is still a tad on the wet side. I have already transferred all of them that are left into bigger pots so as not to retard their growth. Noted that the onion crop was starting to mature, looks like I'll be picking them by the end of next week if the weather cooperates; there is rain in the forecast every day until next Sunday, although the chances diminish as the week goes on. Still doing some prep work on the pool prior to removing the cover next weekend. Looking forward to using it real soon.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's pictures; Chet, Patrick, Sherrel, Jerome, Dave, Jim, Phil, Tom

I had a productive two hours in the train shed yesterday. Started the other part of the double grade crossing, filled in some more areas with ground cover and contemplated. No progress pictures today, as it wasn't significant enough to bother.
No other current pictures to show right now, but here's a couple just for Sherrel. They are the only "foreign road" crew cars that I have. They are used at a SLSF interchange, and very occasionally in pool service with autoracks. Both are Athearn blue box and both appear to be prototypical.
We'll start with a GP40-2.
SLSF 761.JPG

And to follow up the rear.
SLSF 1726.JPG

Unlike many SLSF cars that I have seen, these are quite clean. They didn't send clean ones to Dallas.

Johnny - Have a safe trip.
Patrick - Do IT guys really get a vacation? When I still worked, our guys seemed to be on-call throughout vacations. Vacations to them just meant not being in the office; they logged in from afar and fixed things remotely.
Tom - Wow! Bagging the clippings from a whole baseball field is quite a chore. Hope that someone was there to help.
Dave - I am hoping to add a water puddle or two to the blank spots between the two tracks. That does seem to be an ever present feature most of the year.
Curt - So glad to read that you survived the book fair.

Tonight is the much anticipated 50th high school reunion for me. It will be very interesting. I went to a smallish Catholic prep school in Dallas. Of the surviving 100 or so members of our class, 60 have RSVP'd. Sadly about 25 have passed on, including my very first girlfriend and also my friend that I rode to school with, both very close neighbors.

Today is National Armed Forces Day, so honor and salute all service members.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. It looks like we'll have crappy weather for the next week according to the forecast with intermittent rain and highs only in the 40's. Guess I'll be spending a little more time down in the train room. Maybe I can get the last two crossing signals put in.

Tom - I can relate to all of the grass clippings. I do have a pull behind sweeper that I use but then need a place to put them. One year we had rain every time I ad a chance to mow and by the time it cleared up, I had to borrow a buck rake from the neighbor and had my son riding on it. Took longer to clear the clippings than it did to mow the lawn.

Willie - Like the Frisco equipment. Sharp. I do miss having a garden, but I do NOT miss all of the work.

Dave - Another nice photo. I really enjoyed all of the photos from the old layout, especially all of the power linrs you put up. Post some of those photos.

Johnny - Maybe you can meet some of the forum members when you're in Orlando. When I was in Florida for the Daytona 500, I did take some time to search for hobby shops, but the goings on at the track took most of my time and I never got to meet anyone.

The wife is in town doing the weekly shopping and she's picking up some items I need for the train room. As soon as she gets back, I'll be headed down stairs.

Here's a photo of the MRL line between Helena, MT and Logan, MT along the Missouri River.

19559625276_fbe6bac39d_b.jpg

Later

They are head end units. I did take this photo while getting some flying time in. The route is pretty well water level running along the Missouri river most to the way.

Good evening gentlemen. About 50 degrees and raining and 6-12 " of snow expected on Donner Pass tonite.
Train room update. I havnt gotten much done in the last month because of my temporary return to employment. The rain has given me time to get a control panel started. The panel is metal, a side panel from a long ago tossed out trash compactor. I'm using 1/4" pinstriping tape for the track plan. I'll add tape as I add more track. In hindsight, I should have ran my train room across the "back" of the shop giving me 20x10' rather than the 12x10 I have now. As ya'll keep posting pics, the bar keeps getting raised for me. But keep it up. I'm starting to look for an oil refinery, a sugar mill and a brewery but havnt seen any thing I like without selling my boat to pay for it!!
Dave in PV
con panel.JPG

Howdy

Willie ... very nice Frisco models . Enjoy your 50th reunion. When I went to mine , all of my classmates looked older than their grandparents did when I knew them .

Dave LASM. .. creative scene with musicians.

Dave Truck Dad ... nice progress with your layout.

Here are some photos at the Ogden RR museum.

E17784EE-6410-49BB-91CD-127D4334DC25.jpeg
C7E9D80D-DEED-478F-9CD6-6380FB8DF568.jpeg
F7ECD604-ADDF-4036-A2F2-98A0C1D482C7.jpeg

Flying to Salt Lake City was a bit of an adventure. We boarded the Delta flight on time in Nashville. We backed away from Gate B4. Stayed on tarmac without moving for about ten minutes. Pilot announced he detected a problem. We went back to terminal at Gate B2. (It was a nonstop from B4 to B2. LOL). All passengers got off the plane. Delta flew a replacement plane to Nashville. We boarded it at Gate B4. We arrived in SLC three hours late.

For the return flight , an overly strict TSA agent confiscated our highly dangerous package of fudge. The flight was 15 minutes late because of weather.

Cheers

Howdy

Willie ... very nice Frisco models . Enjoy your 50th reunion. When I went to mine , all of my classmates looked older than their grandparents did when I knew them .

Dave LASM. .. creative scene with musicians.

Dave Truck Dad ... nice progress with your layout.

Here are some photos at the Ogden RR museum.

View attachment 36733View attachment 36734View attachment 36735

Flying to Salt Lake City was a bit of an adventure. We boarded the Delta flight on time in Nashville. We backed away from Gate B4. Stayed on tarmac without moving for about ten minutes. Pilot announced he detected a problem. We went back to terminal at Gate B2. (It was a nonstop from B4 to B2. LOL). All passengers got off the plane. Delta flew a replacement plane to Nashville. We boarded it at Gate B4. We arrived in SLC three hours late.

For the return flight , an overly strict TSA agent confiscated our highly dangerous package of fudge. The flight was 15 minutes late because of weather.

Cheers
Don't blame the TSA agent, fudge becomes very unstable at altitude. Kinda like brownies.

Good Morning All. 61° and clear with a light breeze from the north, kinda like a cool front! 1.6" of rain yesterday to bring May's total to 7.7". Give me the Sunday Morning Special, Flo, Eggs Benedict and lots of bacon.
Rain stopped before I left for the journey to my 50th reunion. It went well and was a lot of fun. All of the guys looked older and didn't care. Many of the girls looked really good, almost like the old sock-hop days. Other than the opening dance which drew about ten couples, it never went far. One couple danced a few more numbers before that fizzled out as well. It was held in a large atrium at the school which has undergone extensive remodeling over the past 50 years. The place didn't really look like a school until you entered the classroom wings which were basically the same. Prime rib buffet and open bar were fantastic.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday; Dave, Phil, Chet, Garry and Jerome.

While I did get into the train shed yesterday, I only used the time to add some more ground cover. I expect more time today after Mass since there is still standing water all around and I am caught up on household tasks, I think!

Dave - I like the musicians. Other than their locale, they didn't look goofy to me.
Chet - I always looked at the garden as a source of some exercise to augment my other exercise. I also enjoy making things grow and especially like the freshness and quality of the results.
Dave (TD) - You're right about these forums raising the bar. I would never gotten as far as I have without some of the examples that I have seen over the years. On another forum, there was a fellow who took lots of pictures and videos of George Selios's FSM RR, which while out of my era and locale, has certainly shown me how much can really be done. Here on this forum, I am inspired by Chet, Curt and Garry, among others. I think that we build off one another's photos. Glad to throw mine into the mix.

Everybody have a great Sunday

Good morning .

In this photo, you can see the the special train with 4014 and 844 caused a traffic back-up on the interstate highway. I took this photo from an adjacent old highway east of Morgan Utah as the train went from Ogden, UT to Evanston, WY.

40910385683_b0194f016d_b.jpg

We are headed out the door to church. After that, we go to Nashville again to see Shelley's Mom in long term care.

Have a nice day, everybody.

Good morning. Where did all of the warm weather go. 31 degrees to start off the day with a high only in the 40's. Rained most of the day yesterday and overcast so far today.

Garry - You have me drooling over those photos. Still grumpy about not being able to get to the festivities especially because they are so close to me. Great photos.

Quiet here on the forum which is not uncommon this time of year.

Spent some time down in the train room yesterday running some of the locomotives which have not been run for a while and did get the last two crossing signal planted.

thumbnail_20190518_122411.jpg

thumbnail_20190518_122824.jpg

Guess I'll get to spend more time in the train room today with the crappy weather.

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out doing chores today and spent a couple of hours on my F22 project. One more day and they will be ready for painting and decaling. Those jobs will be done by my buddy Jon since I don't airbrush and my decaling skills are abysmal.

Garry- I hope it was a great trip and very nice 1:1 photos. It sounds like the TSA agent wanted your fudge.

Willie- You're right. I have learned a lot in this forum and others, but I don't think I'm in the same class as Chet and Garry and others that post here.

Chet- Really nice layout scenes. If you're wanting heat I will ship you some of ours. I think our heat index is in the upper 90's today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Quiet here on the forum which is not uncommon this time of year.
Boy that's for sure. Beautiful day here but the ground outside is still very soggy. It would be a great day for modeling but my daughter and two grandsons made an unexpected trip up here from Dallas for a belated Mother's Day visit, and I am entertaining the granddog. 80° but despite the standing water in all of the drainage ditches, the humidity is only 48%.
Chet - I know that you send a lot of cold down here during the winter, but for some reason I am unable to ship the heat that far north.:cool:

Good afternoon, just getting to drive up to Sandstone again for an overnight, in the last couple of days of rain I got a lot done with my railroad,

Chet-- I will get some more powerline photos on later this week.

Here is the log car I just finished, this was the Roundhouse kit I posted about a couple days ago,

Here I have all the U beams cut to length with the rough log cars

IMG-0410.JPG

Here are the materials I used to complete the cars

IMG-0411.JPG

Here are the rough cars partly completed

IMG-0415.JPG

And here is a finished car,

log car finished.jpg

Not sure if I will keep this brake wheel or put one on a pedestal. Afraid the other kind will break off too easily.

I'll be back tuesday, see you then,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back