Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning

Beady .. I could not find that item. The main building was closed . Some of the inventory was being sold at a pavilion outside of the building . To buy a tee shirt required standing in line more than an hour.

The day in Promontory Summit was a truly great experience . I am glad we did that .

We are going to Ogden today to visit the museum. Big Boy is there with the museum’s locomotives.

Cheers.

0B063811-EF53-4F53-9BC7-83AB845566BA.jpeg
644A66D4-B7C5-47EA-96E3-7B36D5CFE0D5.jpeg

Good morning

Beady .. I could not find that item. The main building was closed . Some of the inventory was being sold at a pavilion outside of the building . To buy a tee shirt required standing in line more than an hour.

The day in Promontory Summit was a truly great experience . I am glad we did that .

We are going to Ogden today to visit the museum. Big Boy is there with the museum’s locomotives.

Cheers.

View attachment 36578View attachment 36579
GARRY-Thanks for the posts. Happy for you, glad you're having a GREAT time.
Phil

Good morning, I slept in today and am just getting around to reading posts.

Sherrel-- sorry to hear about the cousin. Also, your weather of yesterday. Good thing about the weather, just wait around and it will change.

Beady-- bummer about the steam loco. Sounds like something is not in time.

Chet-- wish your shoulder felt better!

Garry-- looks like a great trip, thanks for filling us in

Everyone else, thanks for the comments and likes on the caboose project. Will be starting on a module of the town of Groningen which will eventually drop into my layout when that starts up again.

In the meantime, here is the outfeed end of the sawmill. These guys are really working:

layout5 003.JPG

Everyone have a great day! Am heading up to the land (Sandstone MN) sunday afternoon for an overnight, took Monday off.

Dave

GARRY - Good to see that you are having a good time - Thanks for the pic and -WOW- that is some crowd there!

It's still gloomy cloudy here this morning and we are not yet into the "June Gloom" time of year?
Maybe it's a month early this year?
High of 73 is forecast, but the last few days has not made the forecast. Scattered (get this) thunder showers is in the forecast too!
OK - have to grab some breakfast and police the kitchen and get out the door for another G-Son's school play over on the coast - where we will have a Mother's Day dinner early tonight - which will get me off the hook for tomorrow.

Since I am always late to the party anyway - A Happy Mothers' Day to everyone for tomorrow!
AND - YES - I still miss my MoM; It's been 24 years!

Good afternoon. Beautiful day out today. I have been busy spraying weeds and doing other outside work. Also gave out little long hair doxie a bath, but she's going to have to air dry. My wife is up in Whitefish, MT at a bowling tournament (that I was supposed to be attending) and she took her hair dryer with her.

Ray - Terry had the solution. Just remove part of the knuckle and it will not couple.

Joe - Good luck with the module. Looking forward to see what you do.

Beady
- What a bummer with the Big Boy. Sure hope Athearn can get it repaired for you.

Willie - Nice photos. The Pike Stuff buildings are looking good.

Garry - I am jealous. Like Willie mentioned, it is a bummer that I couldn't make it down there. I have been to Promontory years ago and it is only 350 miles from me. Nice photos, but it did seem that there was a bit of a traffic back up. Hope you enjoyed it.

I did also get to run trains for a while this morning. Here's the NP F-7's getting serviced while a switcher is putting an outbound train together.

thumbnail_20190511_115011.jpg

Later

Had to shut down for awhile. T/S in the vicinity.
Just want to wish all a Happy Mothers Day. Like Sherrel, and others, we have our memories. Hold them close and make good memories while you can.
Prayers and Blessings Good night,
Phil

Ray - Terry had the solution. Just remove part of the knuckle and it will not couple.
I figured it would involve turning the pusher coupling into an open U shape. A while ago there was a thread about using HO steam engines in a pusher situation and operating them in a prototypical manner i.e. not MU'd, but by actual crew control. The contributor (once again, forget who) talked about doing it by shuffling between lead and helper with his cab's recall function. The other way would be to have 2 operators.

I am, at last posting again using my own computer, have been using my wife's, via Google search. If you've ever heard of the cartoonist, Heath Robinson, then that somewhat describes my repair. Lesson to be learned, don't buy from an ebay maker. Proof of the pudding is yet to eventuate.

Good morning. It's (still) cloudy and (still) 65. It rained pretty significantly yesterday afternoon, after threatening all morning.

Good morning Tom and Terry, I am up a little early this morning, the cat was wanting some attention and the pet mom was busy.

Well I guess I had a lot of free time on my hands yesterday not only got the module planned out but fooled around with my window display, made a small backdrop from a 98 cent piece of blue posterboard and some white and black paint,

moved things around a little and got this photo:

IMG_0550.jpg

Everyone have a great day and I will be back Tuesday!

Dave

Good Morning All. Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there. 52° with scattered clouds, at least no threat of rain. .6" in the gauge from yesterday which brings our monthly total to 6.1" so far. I'll take Eggs Benedict and a mimosa this morning Flo, to honor mothers. Yesterday we had a lengthy visit from our oldest daughter, her husband and our four year old granddaughter. Granddaughter brought her rain boots with her so she could visit the train shed. We spent almost an hour looking at the various new projects and a lot of the upper deck that she hasn't seen before. She was excited about being allowed to climb on the step-stool that enabled her to see stuff up there (overprotective mom wasn't with us). Ran a few trains for her and she asked that I stop and pick up some cars at a grain elevator; "Grandpa, can't you make it go faster?" She also commented that she couldn't wait to be seven and then she could run a train.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Phil, Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Tom. Somewhere along the way, I received my 1000th "Like". Thanks to all for that recognition. Chet should reach that milestone today as well. While that's not the reason that I post, it's nice that the forum has that feature.

Here's a few random businesses located around the layout. First up is Snells Automotive on the left and an appliance store on the right. Door in the center leads to a dance studio upstairs. This is a very old Walther's structure called "The Gemini Building" which traces it's heritage to an older Magnuson model of the same name. It is one of the very first structures that I built over 28 years ago. The appliances and the Coke machine are small blocks of wood that were painted and detailed with a pencil.
09-13-14 009.JPG

Here's "Home State Bank". This is a downloaded cardstock structure from the Illinois Historical Association that I printed on 65# paper and assembled.
12-17-16 009.JPG

No home yet, but it is residing in an undeveloped area with about twenty other structures.
Another structure in that area is Walt's Cafe. It's a City Classics kit that's sold as "Main Street Cafe".
04-19-18 002.JPG

Here's a shot of the roof showing my scratchbuilt TV antenna.
04-19-18 004.JPG

While I did get to spend some time in the train shed yesterday, I only got a little accomplished. Added more ground cover and added details to the warehouse, which will be a paint distributor as soon as I locate suitable signage, not a real problem, just time-consuming. I have some more details to add and then it gets "planted" and I can re-size the two spurs. I did have to re-stage some trains after the earlier visit with granddaughter.

Garry - Good to read that you are enjoying the trip.
Sherrel - You're not the only one frustrated by the weather, I've had just too much rain as I have been posting lately.

Once again, everybody have a Happy Mother's Day.

Yesterday I took the truck to the stealership to get the oil changed at 28,000 miles, so there would be no waranty question of maintenance in case of a mechanical problem. I nearly got thrown out when I refused to buy an engine air filter, even though it isn't particularly dirty, and replacement isn't indicated until 45,000 miles, or replace the air conditioner filter that I changed myself 5000 miles ago per the maintenance schedule in my manual, or get a fuel system cleaning, cooling system flush, brake fluid flush, differential fluid change, or transmission fluid flush, since zero of those things are recommended. After the service advisor insisted it would affect my warranty if those things weren't preformed now, I asked him to show me where in my scheduled maintenance any of those things were recommended or even suggested, then told him to stay away from my truck with his snake oil. After he got done blustering and sputtering, I told him I'd be looking for another dealership that would perform the recommended and required services to my vehicle without trying to terrify me into buying unneeded serves that may even damage it, long-term.

Yesterday I took the truck to the stealership to get the oil changed at 28,000 miles, so there would be no waranty question of maintenance in case of a mechanical problem. I nearly got thrown out when I refused to buy an engine air filter, even though it isn't particularly dirty, and replacement isn't indicated until 45,000 miles, or replace the air conditioner filter that I changed myself 5000 miles ago per the maintenance schedule in my manual, or get a fuel system cleaning, cooling system flush, brake fluid flush, differential fluid change, or transmission fluid flush, since zero of those things are recommended. After the service advisor insisted it would affect my warranty if those things weren't preformed now, I asked him to show me where in my scheduled maintenance any of those things were recommended or even suggested, then told him to stay away from my truck with his snake oil. After he got done blustering and sputtering, I told him I'd be looking for another dealership that would perform the recommended and required services to my vehicle without trying to terrify me into buying unneeded serves that may even damage it, long-term.

MY WORD! Terry, I know that my RV probably needs some service other than normal lube changes at 17,000, but I am scared to death of what they will tell me that I "NEED". Have to take it to Hemet for dealer service (local Ford dealer doesn't do RV's), so that means making an appointment - and probably a layover? I've not had a hic-cup with it at all, so I am terrified as to dealing with them. I wish I were more like you!

Great photos, GARRY! Last one is a doozie! lol

Willie - I like all your builds, but for the money - the cardstock models are top notch.
I don't see any guy-wires on that antenna? That's awesome - how did you make it - what did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back