Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 59° with mostly cloudy skies. At least it's not raining again this morning. Expecting three days of no rain if the forecast is to be believed. While I cannot really do any outside projects, I have had to pick up considerable extra household duties due to my wife's temporary immobility. The good news is that while not improving yet, she is not getting any worse. Not sure whether that will change without the knee replacement. At least she's made the decision to go forward.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the post yesterday; Garry, Jerome, Patrick, Chet, Phil, Curt, Justin, Tom and Sherrel.

OK, I as well as many others here on the forum have been concerned about Louis and his absence. He sent me a lengthy E-Mail yesterday. Here is a short edited excerpt from it.
"Forgive me for being AWOL.....I'm a creature of habit and my routine has been turned upside down, but the results are encouraging. I'm making steady, albeit slow progress.....My hope is once I get a grip on this new schedule I will have more free time, but for now I'm still struggling with it. I've never slept so many hours per day in my entire life!"
Continue to remember him with positive thoughts and prayers.

On to the train shed. I did get to spend more time there yesterday. I made progress on the peninsula project, just not real visible progress. Painted a lot of brown earth, applied a second coat of gray to the parking area, added a lot of ground cover along the ROW and around the beverage distribution center and also painted stripes in the parking area. While I was landscaping, I added some ground cover across the aisle on that narrow strip of plywood that I posted a week or so ago.
Here's a couple more structures that will be joining the ones posted yesterday, over on the left side of the peninsula between the layout edge and the main line. I am an advocate of running the main line through the scenery where possible. I have most likely posted other pictures of these structures in the past.
First up is a Dairy Queen from Walther's. This goes back to the time before they added drive-thru windows, so it actually pre-dates my era by a couple of years. Modeler's license. I may eventually add one to the right side, it looks to be easily done.
05-03-19 001.JPG

I know that I posted pictures of this Texaco gas station when I was completing the build a couple of years ago, forgive me if you have seen it. It is a laser-cut wood kit from JL Innovative Designs. It's called "Brownie's Northside Service".
05-03-19 004.JPG

The interiors of both businesses are detailed, but are hard to see in these pictures.

Chet - Your P/T adventures are giving me a prelude to what I can expect with my wife's upcoming adventure into joint replacement. So far though, she is refusing to take anything stronger than ibuprofen and wine.
Tom - Never realized that there were two cylinder clubs around. Maybe I should find a local one to join just so I can borrow someone else's plow!
Sherman & Clint - Interesting Big Boy videos, thanks for posting them. I didn't hear a thing. Wait! I have the sound turned off!:cool:
Sherrel - Dang! 4:14 would have gotten you 300 miles in Texas!

Besides being Derby Day, today is also National Star Wars Day and World Naked Gardening Day. It's too wet for me to participate this year.:( I'll refrain from providing a link, but if you want more info, just google it.

Mañana es Cinco de Mayo. Es hora de una fiesta! Comer fajitas y beber cerveza.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all, going to be a beautiful day here, full sunshine and the leaves are unfurling on the trees as I write!

I appreciate the comments on my photos, even though I don't often acknowledge it!

Willie-- I like the Dairy Queen bldg, something still around in our neighborhood, some of them haven't changed much, others have taken on an entirely new look

I got the painting done and am installing the windows this morning, I must say the kit is very well engineered as things fit very snugly together. The level of detail may be described as "over the top" in some cases.

It is a fun project and it turning out nice. I hope the decals go on well,:oops:

caboose proj 1.JPG

this time of day I have some really nice light for working on models

caboose proj 2.JPG

More later, Dave

Good morning..... Coffee and Kentucky Derby Pie, please. It's Derby Day.

Sherrel and Curt..... Thanking you along with others I thanked already for commenting on my coal mine.

Chet... I like your historic photos.

Willie .... Your Dairy Queen and Texaco station bring back old memories. Very nice !

Dave .... Your project is going very well. You will have an excellent model.

Speaking of the Big Boy, our trip to Utah is coming up soon. I wish were traveling by rail, but we will be on Delta Airlines to Salt Lake City Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Here are my two old Rivarossi Big Bots.... I do not operate them anymore.

35838962745_a61d662f0a_b.jpg

Here is the Rio Grande Propector in SLC in 1967.

drgw_f7_5571.jpg

Last edited:
camptown ladies sing this song, do-dah, do-dah, camptown race track 5 miles long, oh de do-dah day.
gwine to run all night, gwine to run all day, bet my money on an old gray nag, somebody bet on the bay.

don't remember the name of the song.
Phil

camptown ladies sing this song, do-dah, do-dah, camptown race track 5 miles long, oh de do-dah day.
gwine to run all night, gwine to run all day, bet my money on an old gray nag, somebody bet on the bay.

Phil

hERE YOU GO, PHIL ....
"Gwine to Run All Night, or
De Camptown Races"
Song by Christy's Minstrels Published February 1850Songwriter(s) Stephen Foster

bETTER MAKE NOTE OF IT -- Will probably be considered racist and banished from all!

Phil
Sherrel beat me to it. Of course he might have been around when it was written!:p;)o_O Also recorded by Kenny Rogers, Dave Bruebeck, Bing Crosby, Frankie Laine and Al Jolson among many others.

Good morning all, going to be a beautiful day here, full sunshine and the leaves are unfurling on the trees as I write!

I appreciate the comments on my photos, even though I don't often acknowledge it!

Willie-- I like the Dairy Queen bldg, something still around in our neighborhood, some of them haven't changed much, others have taken on an entirely new look

I got the painting done and am installing the windows this morning, I must say the kit is very well engineered as things fit very snugly together. The level of detail may be described as "over the top" in some cases.

It is a fun project and it turning out nice. I hope the decals go on well,:oops:

View attachment 36415

this time of day I have some really nice light for working on models

View attachment 36416

More later, Dave
We have 2 DQ’s here in town. Older style on the south end & Grill n Chill on the North End.

Good afternoon. 64 degrees out right now.

My son came over to mow the lawn today as the physical therapist told me that I'm not quite ready to do chores like that quite yet. She's worried about the vibrations from mowing.

Dave - The caboose is coming along nicely. Looking forward to updates. You can sent it over here when you're done. icon_lol.gif

Really appreciate the photos and videos of 4014. May have to take a trip to Cheyenne.

Tom - Cool video of the plowing. I am into the small tractors. I had an Ariens, like the one in the cover of the video. Got it in 1978 and worked the heck out of it. Got it with a 48" mowing deck, 48" snow blower and a double extension roto tiller all for $3,000 as it was a year old demonstrator. Picked up the 3 point hitch and got a one bottom plow for it as well as a grading blade. In the winter I could flip the grading blade over to plow snow. We had an 80 foot by 35 foot garden back then and the plow sure made a lot of difference in getting the garden ready in the spring. The snow blower was also a life saver as I kept a quarter of a mile of private lane plowed in the winter. That tractor worked 12 months out of the year and worked hard. My lawn is 2 acres and I wore out the mowing deck before the poor tractor died one afternoon when I was mowing. It started running rough and I stopped and looked at the motor and could see the rod and the bottom of the piston through the side of the block. Not good. I searched all over for a replacement motor and there was only one that would fir the tractor that was available, for $2,000, and it was a short block. Being that we no longer had a garden I decided to pick up a little Husqvarna with a 48" mowing deck and also got a plow for snow removal in the winter. I sure miss that old tractor. I was able to sell the old tractor and the attachments for $3,000 and paid for the new one and still had beer money.

Later

Afternoon All,

Going to the club in awhile. The flat car kits were supposed to arrive today but didn't.:(

Sherrel- That blows.

Willie- If your wife gets the surgery make sure she does the PT as it should be done. My Mom replaced a knee several years ago but wouldn't do the rehab because it hurt and she pays for it now with decreased mobility and pain.

Dave- Excellent job on the caboose.

Garry- Nice photo and layout shot. I don't remember that Santa Fe paint scheme from when I was a kid.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie- Check your area, I believe there maybe so around.You can check for youtube videos Garden tractor plow days or just tractor plow days.

Grass needs cutting but things are so soggy from the rain.Tomorrow sounds better with some sun.

Evening fellers. Been a little bit since I've posted. Been a very busy past couple of days for me. Reminds me I haven't shared any pics lately. I guess I can get caught up on that! Here's some pics for y'all to enjoy. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to stop back in later. I may find myself working on the layout tonight. Who knows?
15521683632_94ce199e4d_b.jpg

996-55141v1_20140715.jpg

cominerunthurmond.jpg

I'll forever miss this style of signals. It was heartbreaking when CSX took them down.
52_big.jpg

Sherrel - Chains are not cheating but necessary with turf tires for traction.

Good morning.....Nice day today, going to enjoy the sun while I can.:)

Good morning. It's raining and 65. Happy Cinco de Mayo.The rain should help the grass seed where the gas company FINALLY installed the gas line.
Also, I've ditched Firefox, possibly permanently, after they "accidentally" disabled all the add-ons that made it good. Now, it's no better than Internet Exploder.

Buenos dias a todos. Feliz Cinco de Mayo. 56° y cielos despejados . While cool this morning, we should return to 80°+ afternoons later today.

Thanks everybody for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's pictures; Dave, Garry, Sherrel, Jim, Phil, Tom, Justin, Jerome and anyone that I may have missed.

More of the same scenery development yesterday in the train shed. Interrupted by running trains. Nothing to photograph yet, but here's a few pictures of some of my SD40-2 collection. First up is a pair from Scaletrains. The F45 in the background is an Athearn Genesis model.
05-05-19 001.JPG

Another pair from Scaletrains.
05-05-19 003.JPG

And now a pair from Kato. These are over twenty years old and still run like new.
05-05-19 002.JPG

And finally a pair from Athearn.
05-05-19 005.JPG

Dave - I think that you posted that the caboose kit was from AMB. Is it a recent offering or is it a decades-old kit? It really looks good.
Garry -
Willie .... Your Dairy Queen and Texaco station bring back old memories.
Ditto that here. I grew up with almost the exact same structures in my neighborhood, While the ones in my neighborhood were mostly gone by the early 70's (I was already gone off to college and married life), many of these style buildings were still in use in some of the rural areas of Texas, into the very early part of the era that I am modeling.
Curt - P/T is a must even to my wife. Both knees have been bad for years now, but until the onset of the most recent immobility, she wouldn't consider replacement even though I encouraged her. It isn't just her quality of life that has been affected over the years, but those around her; i.e. impatient grandkids and husband. We would go to a museum or something, and after a short period of time, I would leave her on a bench while I roamed further.
Tom - While I never really knew about the garden tractor clubs, I regularly make the antique tractor show nearby and watch their plowing exhibitions. One guy has an antique steam powered hay baler that you load from a haystack with a pitchfork, hayfork!
1557060977506.png

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back