Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
East of Morgan .

F2E42908-B735-427E-B7AB-E304EB7EBCF0.jpeg

Good morning. A beautiful day today. We will get up into the 70's again today. Got some work done spraying some weeds and a guy came over to fertilize the pine trees.

Dave - Nice photos. Like the saw mill. Also get a kick out of the bears.

Terry - Sounds just like what a dealership would try to pull off. Get every nickle out of you pocket.

Willie - As usual, some excellent looking buildings. Nice photos.

Louis - Been wondering where you've been.

Garry
- Those are some excellent photos. Still grumblin' to myself that I couldn't make it down there. I'm jealous. Hope you have some more. I am assuming that you did enjoy the trip.

The NASCAR race was last evening so I'll have some time to run trains before the wife gets back from Whitefish. Guess the women did well in the tournament.

Here's a quick photo and I'm out of here.

RoyalGorgeRouteVert2-1024x683.jpg

Later

It's been a long time since I have checked in and I'm doing fairly good today. My kids have taken my wife out to eat and since I was feeling good I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

I have not spent much time online other than using my smart TV. I never imagined it could do so much! I've spent most of my time on the couch in my living room. Using a lap top is a PITA to me. Small (17") touch screens, mouse pads and my fingers don't get along well. For some reason touch screens find it difficult to recognize my fingers. My smart phone is even worse. My voice operated smart TV gives me no such trouble.

Today is a good day, any day you wake up is a good day, some are just better than others. So I ventured up to my train room/office/play pen to the comfort of my over priced, but comfortable office desk chair. Other than working on my finances, most of which are now automated, I've spent very little time up here. The steps are easy enough to climb up and down, but my living room is so much more comfortable.

I discovered there is much to keep me amused on my smart TV; Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, the seemingly endless things to watch on demand from Comcast and much more. Best of all it's fast and easy to use. To my surprise I discovered many train shows to watch, including many books made into TV shows about Lionel trains! I've learned a lot and my enthusiasm for my trains has grown, that seems impossible, but it is true!

The cyclical nature of my health for the last half of my life has become normal to me. I have gone into another down phase, but as always I know I will ride the tide back up again. I'm doing all I can to make it happen. In the mean time I'm bidding my time and making the best of a not so good situation. I refuse to focus on what I can't do or worry about how much money it costs me. I concentrate on what I can do and thank God I have the resources to make it through. Despite the worlds most expensive and 17th best health care system, I know I will weather this storm. Besides I already own more train stuff than I will ever need if I never buy another thing. I would not bet a single dollar I have made my last train purchase or coached my last baseball game for that matter.

Enough of the... "crap" on to something that has me excited; Lionel's deal with ATI Model Products Inc. (Model Power/Mantua)!
http://www.lionel.com/articles/Lionel-Trains-Model-Power-Announcement
This is old news and I did not think much of it when it was announced last year, but at the TCA Open House Spring 2019 Lionel elaborated on it a little bit during their presentation.
I'm excited about some of the new products and I was happy to hear they would be making kits! Of all things for me to be excited about, but I thought my friend Mark and others like him might be happy about new kits and that made me happy as well. Even though I doubt I would ever assemble a kit or want to! :) Like I said before, I'm betting I'll find a product or two ;) I want to buy!

Well that's all for me for now my fellow coffee shop patrons I hope and pray all is well for my train buddies, your friends and families.

God Bless us Everyone!

Good afternoon. Believe it or not, our current temperature is 46° with rain and wind from the East. The heat is on. Not what I expected for Mother's Day weather. Needless to say, we are going to postpone the barbecued steaks.

Louis: It's really good to see you posting.

Dave, Chet and Willie: Great photos, great modeling.

Garry: Thanks for your photos from Utah. That's one large locomotive.

Boris

Yesterday I took the truck to the stealership to get the oil changed at 28,000 miles, so there would be no waranty question of maintenance in case of a mechanical problem. I nearly got thrown out when I refused to buy an engine air filter, even though it isn't particularly dirty, and replacement isn't indicated until 45,000 miles, or replace the air conditioner filter that I changed myself 5000 miles ago per the maintenance schedule in my manual, or get a fuel system cleaning, cooling system flush, brake fluid flush, differential fluid change, or transmission fluid flush, since zero of those things are recommended. After the service advisor insisted it would affect my warranty if those things weren't preformed now, I asked him to show me where in my scheduled maintenance any of those things were recommended or even suggested, then told him to stay away from my truck with his snake oil. After he got done blustering and sputtering, I told him I'd be looking for another dealership that would perform the recommended and required services to my vehicle without trying to terrify me into buying unneeded serves that may even damage it, long-term.

Good for you Terry ! After 37 years in the "business" nothing pisses me off more than a service advisor that peddles the snake oil as often as the snake oil salesman wants it to be sold. You wanna know why? They can get up to a 5 dollar kickback on every additional service they sell from the snake oil salesman's company. BG products is one of the biggest, and one of the pushiest players out there. Oh and out of those 37 years, I have NEVER done anything not recommended unit the owners manual says it is. Sometimes I never did things. Case in point, my Olds Alero. 250,000 miles with nothing but regular oil changes every 5k with Mobil 1, Plugs & wires at 160K, Brakes, tires and filters AS needed. Never a brake, power steering or trans flush. Ran like a top the day it was sold, and is still seen around the area.
I'd invite you to bring it to me for service , but the commute wouldn't be worth it.

Dang Joe. Just like a Yankee! You grill steaks (burgers, hot dogs, fish, chicken), not barbecue them!:cool: Barbecue is slow-cooked meat (beef, pork, goat, ribs) slathered in sauce, at least here in the South. LOL

Willie: I stand corrected, what was I thinking. :oops:When outdoor cooking became popular in urban Pennsylvania, it was universally known as bar-b-que. Since I use a Weber Kettle Grill, I grill everything. :rolleyes: As a Jersey Yankee, I have no patience for slow cooking, whether you call it bar-b-que or smoked. In any event, the way the forecast reads, i will not get to grill those steaks until Tuesday.

Oh who am I kidding? Coal is King!

Justin: Which is why I'm considering modeling the Reading's "King Coal" passenger train, which ran between Philadelphia and Shamokin PA..

Reading passenger trains except the "Crusader", and prior to the introduction of Budd RDCs in 1963, ran with heavyweight coaches and head end cars which were 68' to 72' long, Perfect for model railroads. Pullmans, and Cafe-Parlors were the exception at 80 / 85 foot long. Power, was mainly EMD FP-7s or GP-7s or Alco RS-3 which were also pike friendly.

Boris

Dang Joe. Just like a Yankee! You grill steaks (burgers, hot dogs, fish, chicken), not barbecue them!:cool: Barbecue is slow-cooked meat (beef, pork, goat, ribs) slathered in sauce, at least here in the South. LOL
It depends on what part of the country your in. Barbecue for some would be cooking with charcoal. Some areas call it soda some pop. Some call the 5pm meal dinner some supper. Right or wrong simple terms can have different meaning depending on where you are.:)

It depends on what part of the country your in. Barbecue for some would be cooking with charcoal. Some areas call it soda some pop. Some call the 5pm meal dinner some supper. Right or wrong simple terms can have different meaning depending on where you are.:)

As Elmer Fudd once said; "I'm gonna kill a d-d-d-dd--water foul and have it for d-d-d-dd --supper!"

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 62. We had some pretty strong thunderstorms last night, which caused a not fun time to be had by our thunder-fearing dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back