Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, is the 109th Anniversary of the Triangle Shirt Waist Factory fire in Greenwich Village, NYC. 700 people were working inside the building when the fire started, and 140 perished. This tragedy is credited with causing the founding of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union. Also 30 Years ago this date, The Happyland Social Club Fire in the Bronx, killed 87 people. This was at the time, the largest number of people killed by a single mass murderer.
So much for my birthday.

Seriously, I've decided not to have any more birthdays, 70 is enough. From now on I'm going to spread the wealth and donate future birthdays to those poor, deprived individuals who have fewer than I do. In fact, I'll be more than happy to donate to some particularly deserving individuals out of my personal stash.

Howdy ....

Mikey .... The gas station signs are looking great.

Mike .... You certainly are making progress with the bench for your layout. Nice

Everybody .... Thanks to those of you who “liked” and commented on my post in Structures and Buildings about my rusted old grain elevator.

have a good night.

Last edited:
Good morning....No work today but you think I could sleep past 5:30 (normal alarm time) nope. Apparently the cat assumed I forgot to set the alarm and thought that walking on me and meowing was his job. Seeing how that didn't work the normaling sleeping dog had to stick her nose into this off schedule event when the coffee pot didn't start automatically at 5:30. So I guess I'll wait till 10:00-10:30 when they have their late morning nap to want to play with them to see how that goes over.

Well I got 2 of 4 Genesis BNSF grain cars painted. Just waiting on the decals.
IMG_3248.jpg

Good morning America!. It's 52 degrees and cloudy now. Supposed to get to 64 with some sunshine this afternoon. The trees are getting quite a few leaves on them and it's starting to look really green and pretty. We had planned to get our second haul from our house in Illinois by now, but that is on hold for an indefinite period. Our motorcycle and pickup are setting in our garage wondering why they've been abandoned. If things ever clear up some, I might get to ride the motorcycle to our new home. Hopefully, that isn't wishful thinking.

Enough of that! I finally opened my LokProgrammer and there is no manual in that big box. Just the Lokprogrammer, a power cord and USB cord to connect to the computer. Oh, and two small pieces of paper telling me to watch a setup video on YouTube before I do anything. Maybe later this evening.

Some items are supposed to be delivered from Lowe's and WallyWorld today. Should have some stuff that will put me to work for a little while. Plan to take our furkids for a drive today to get out and see some of our new surroundings. Don't plan on stopping and getting out anywhere though! We do plan on going for a walk this afternoon for some exercise and to enjoy the sunshine. Might even mow the yard again today or tomorrow.

Here's a picture of a BNSF freight crossing IL Route 100 in Fredrick, IL after leaving Beardstown about 5 miles south of there, on the other side of the Illinois River. The tracks are built alongside and above the levee that runs along side the river. The coal docks for AMAX Coal Co. that I worked for from '76 to '83 are about two and a half miles south of here.

To the south (right side of picture) the tracks are elevated and to the north (left) the tracks go about 75-100 yds. before making their way up the bluff of the river valley. By the time the train makes it to Vermont, IL it will be out of the route bringing it up to "ground level". All with about a 1/2% grade the whole way.

View attachment 45590
Enough of that! I finally opened my LokProgrammer and there is no manual in that big box. Just the Lokprogrammer, a power cord and USB cord to connect to the computer. Oh, and two small pieces of paper telling me to watch a setup video on YouTube before I do anything. Maybe later this evening.

I bought the LokProgrammer years ago Bob. Once you figure things out you'll see how easy it makes your life when it comes to changing decoder setting.

Good morning everyone. 53 and clear out there, heading for mid-70s today!! Goodbye winter!!

Patrick, Tom, BurlingtonBob, Guy, Sherrel, Mike, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post yesterday.
Beady - Happy birthday.
Terry - Involuntary unemployment - - related to COVID-19 business shutdown or stay-at-home order?

The World Health Organization has a recommendation for mental health: only check the news once a day.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. It's 67° and warm. It's currently clear but still dark. The weather geeks have lowered today's forecast high temperature from over 90°, to a more seasonal 85°. Another day of these high temperatures and then at least a week in the 60's and 70's. With that in mind, I had to spend yesterday morning making another firewood haul. Most of my heating wood is oak 3" x 3" and 3" x 4" sticks that are discarded by my old employer. Each day that they work provides about twenty sticks; I use seven a day if I heat vigorously for 24 hours.
03-26-20 003.JPG

03-26-20 002.JPG

I still have to cut them in half to fit through the door of the wood burning stove, but they are free and burn well. They provide about 65% of my heating wood for a season and tree prunings provide the rest. This trip was within the self-quarantining program as I did not have any human interaction. On the way to get that, I gassed up the SUV and picked up a prescription, took a while, while waiting for Medicare to approve payment. No other customers in the pharmacy and the pharmacist was wearing gloves for my protection.
After that, the phone guys returned a day early to complete the fiber-optic hookup. One crew worked out front splicing the fiber-optic cable while a second crew did the remaining wifi hookup and cut the regular landline over. They also reprogrammed my wife's laptop, tablet, phone and TV over to the new network. I did my own phone and tablet, as I understand that stuff more than she does. I could have done hers, but they offered, so... Wife spent the next 30 minutes wiping down everything that they touched! Download speed is now 20.0 Mbs, and upload is 10 Mbs. I really noticed when I uploaded the above pictures. When they were done, one of the service guys left me with a sack of several hundred feet of old telephone cable that I can use for my lighting buss. He had previously seen the layout on a visit about 18 months ago.

Mexican omelet this morning for me Francine. Extra sausage patties on the side.

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments regarding the various projects yesterday; Bob, Johnny, Guy, Garry, Phil, Jerome, James, Mike, Chad, Sherrel, Patrick, Tom, Curt, Joe, Ken.

Due to other events, I did very little in the traiin shed yesterday. I did manage to paint my crude interpretation of a horizon on the backdrop behind the current scene though. Next will be highlighting it a bit with additional green colors.
03-26-20 001.JPG

Mike - Forgot to comment yesterday about the backdrop. Even though I have not done it, I like the curved version better.
Beady - Religious reasons are not the reason that I boycott Hobby Lobby. They constantly re-arrange the store making it harder to find the few things that I went for. I have since learned that all of those supplies are available at WalMart (another place that I detest but still patronize when needed), for a lower cost. Besides it's much more amusing to view the WalMart customers. Even before Covid-19, I always kept my distance from them. Happy Forgotten Birthday.
James - Even from afar in Texas, I have seen the devastation that politician's inactions have wreaked on NYC in particular. Shameful.
Mikey - Neat idea regarding the signage.
Greg - Good luck with the tortoise issue. Not running low on supplies here, yet. I did considerable stocking up over the last few years, although that has nothing to do with hunkering down. I just live too far from most supplies to be making trips just for paint or glue. Prior to my LHS shutting down a few years back, the owner offered everything at 40% off MSRP, and I bought enough Woodland Scenics ballast and ground foam products to last years.
Terry - Sorry to read that you will be involuntarily unemployed. Perhaps you will be able to give us first-hand accounts on the stimulus package that might be passed by the House soon. Being already retired, most of it will do me no good, nor do I need it. I am happy that it appears to be helpful to many who need it even though there is still some unnecessary "pork" in it. Too bad that the President doesn't have "line item veto" power. Sometimes you just have to swallow a little bit of bad to get a lot of good.

Today is National Spinach Day. Quite appropriate since I just started picking it from the garden.
Everybody have a great day. We're skipping the weekly grocery/beer trek today since we don't need anything.

Good morning y'all. It's sunny and cool here 40 miles from Corona Virus Ground Zero. We are staying indoors to avoid contact with folks who may be infected.
Meanwhile, life goes on.

MIL is still in isolation, due to her having a MRSA infection, and confusion as to whether she needs to remain in isolation due to the infection, or whether she can be moved to a Long term care facility. Her Part C "Medicare Disadvantage" plan, is trying to weasel out of paying for her care.

Life and business ain't easy when all business is conducted from home...

N&W_Class S-1_Park St Roanoke_1959_edited.jpg

N&W Roanoke, VA 1959

Religious reasons are not the reason that I boycott Hobby Lobby. They constantly re-arrange the store making it harder to find the few things that I went for. I have since learned that all of those supplies are available at WalMart (another place that I detest but still patronize when needed), for a lower cost. Besides it's much more amusing to view the WalMart customers. Even before Covid-19, I always kept my distance from them. Happy Forgotten Birthday

Willie: I personally feel that Business and religion should be kept separate. I don't like Hobby Lobby, because of the way they run their business. I occasionally do go there, if I need something quickly and don't want to drive over to the LHS in Point Pleasant. Walmart...well, that's another place I avoid. Their business plan as it translated to the way they treat their customers sucks. Again, some of their prices are significantly cheaper, so I go there on occasion, but prefer not to.

Free fuel is always the best fuel. ;)

The horizon looks good.

Morning all,

Time for a quick cup of coffee, thanks Francine.

Downside of being needed is I still have to get up at my normal time. Servers get their updates on Saturday, so I'm off (I hope) tomorrow. Turns out the pre-physical blood work scheduled for tomorrow turned into the full blown physical in the morning, so I only need to see him once instead of later next week.

We are under stay at home orders in the county I work in, so last night one of the local news channels was at one of the local parks interviewing people. What cracked me up was on guy they were interviewing said everyone should just follow the recommendations and stay home. Ok but then why was he at the park? lol Everyone but him.....

Willie: Nice start on the background.

Morning Patrons: TERRY - Very sorry to hear that you are unemployed .. I hope that it does not last for long.

JOE - Very nice photo!

FLO:
Just let me have a couple of biscuits with an egg, cheese, and a sausage pattie in between. Have to run, I slept in this morning and finally got a good nights sleep. We have a pool pump to change out this morning. I hope the SIL remembered to get the gasket pack with it?

Temp is supposed to be a cool 56 degrees (presently 44) ... I think someone forgot to turn the heater on.
We had another heavy rain shower last evening - really a mini cloudburst - all is welcome.

Later gang

Good Morning Everyone....overcast again, but at least no snow.

Price gauging has started when my wife saw toilet paper at a local store selling for $18 for a 18 roll package!!!

Ready to head down to the basement to work on Tortoise switch machines. I'll replace the faulty mini-toggle switch for a Tortoise machine and remount the panel and re-mount a Tortoise on the mine spur. No hurry I have 30 days to work on the layout.

Here's a good video about a mountainous model railroad that is a perfect balance between track and industrial/railroad servicing:

I like all the details on the layout, like the warning flags on the wiring going to the turntable, the wiring from the signals dropping down to the control boxes, the switch stands, the utility pole wiring from pole to pole, various types of evergreens in the forested areas; not just one variety of trees and the varied vegetation as under growth and in the service areas. The vehicle traffic going up a curving, mountain grade adds realism of the layout.

That's all for now....

Stay safe.

Greg

#########################

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone....overcast again, but at least no snow.

Price gauging has started when my wife saw toilet paper at a local store selling for $18 for a 18 roll package!!!

Ready to head down to the basement to work on Tortoise switch machines. I'll replace the faulty mini-toggle switch for a Tortoise machine and remount the panel and re-mount a Tortoise on the mine spur. No hurry I have 30 days to work on the layout.

Here's a good video about a mountainous model railroad that is a perfect balance between track and industrial/railroad servicing:

I like all the details on the layout, like the warning flags on the wiring going to the turntable, the wiring from the signals dropping down to the control boxes, the switch stands, the utility pole wiring from pole to pole, various types of evergreens in the forested areas; not just one variety of trees and the varied vegetation as under growth and in the service areas. The vehicle traffic going up a curving, mountain grade adds realism of the layout.

That's all for now....

Stay safe.

Greg

#########################
No RR video on that link! Did you give us the right one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back