IMG_2664.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 267
I'm sorry, and this is for me and my wife, we can think of nothing more boring than Basket Ball! We don't all think alike! I like the local and national news, it allows me to keep abreast of what the idiots running this country are up to

Mark: First of all, you're not any more sorry than I am. :) Basketball is very boring, unless your school is playing. :confused: In the NYC Market even the Network owned stations run with news from 0430 until 1300, then again from 1600 to 1930, when the entertainment news shows fills in until prime time. news is cheaper than running syndicated programing. In addition, there are the major news cable networks, Israel News, BBC News, Arab News, News in Spanish, Black News, French, Polish and Japanese News, plus local news from two cable networks. Three financial News networks, PBS and three C Span channels. Plus three all news all the time radio stations, and I'm not even going to itemize the sports news. You can understand why it's a good thing when something else pre-empts the News. :rolleyes:.

Boris

Tom: Great photos. In the first two which show the LV passenger train, the station building closely resembles the old LV station at Easton, PA.

Dave B: Tender looks OK, maybe a little whiteish residue from calcified water spilled when filling tender? Nice scene.

Willie: I also like the lady watering flowers. nice scene also.

Chet: Love those ALCos you run. I suppose the staples come out on Monday? Hopefully you will be all set.

Curt: Hope your laptop is back up soon.

Speaking of smoke, there's a large fire down in the South Jersey Pinelands this afternoon and evening. Due to the brisk south wind, the smoke cloud is working its way up all the way to the Amboys and Staten island. It's irritating the eyes and affecting some folks breathing. Hopefully they will contain it, and tomorrows rain does materialize.

Now, for sure, we know Spring is here.

Boris

Good morning. It's cloudy and 62.
We have a houseguest staying for a week or two, while I do some maintenance and updates on her travel trailer. She's taking it to Florida, where sge's going to live in it Winters.

Mark: First of all, you're not any more sorry than I am. :) Basketball is very boring, unless your school is playing. :confused: In the NYC Market even the Network owned stations run with news from 0430 until 1300, then again from 1600 to 1930, when the entertainment news shows fills in until prime time. news is cheaper than running syndicated programing. In addition, there are the major news cable networks, Israel News, BBC News, Arab News, News in Spanish, Black News, French, Polish and Japanese News, plus local news from two cable networks. Three financial News networks, PBS and three C Span channels. Plus three all news all the time radio stations, and I'm not even going to itemize the sports news. You can understand why it's a good thing when something else pre-empts the News. :rolleyes:.

Boris

I can only speak to what is happening where I live and what news is available to me. I only get CBS as the only news broadcasting station I receive, if you pre-empt CBS then I get no news for the day. This March Madness thing ran from Thursday 21st to the end of the following weekend (24th), then starts up again this past Thursday the 28th and I believe this will pre-empt this weekend also. I go to my local TV station's website to see if I can determine when this B-Ball stupidity will end and can't find that information. I hope this weekend; but, who knows!

I don't think that the local and/or national news are the biggest proponents of "Fake News" like much of the public seems to think! I won't name who I think creates the most "Fake News" as that would be delving into politics and we all know politics has no place on a Model Railroad Forum!

My high temp is only going to be 36 today, Cloudy with a 7% chance of precip and winds out of the NW at 4 MPH.

Flo, a couple pieces of buttered white toast and keep the coffee coming!

Boris- The layout in the first was the Lehigh Valley from Jersey City to Buffalo NY.

Good morning....A little snow last night that's already melting,train show today see if I can find any goodies.:)

When April 1 rolls around every year I stop all my model RR projects and head to the golf course but this year I hurt my back picking up some bags of concrete at home depot and can't play right now. So I'm back with the projects at least for now. If I didn't have this model RR I'd be bored out of my mind during the winter.

George

Good morning y'all!

54° and overcast with smoke this morning, with a 70% chance of rain and cooler temperatures later in the day.

Boris- The layout in the first was the Lehigh Valley from Jersey City to Buffalo NY.
Tom: The station at Easton was one of the more photographed locations on the Valley. I spent considerable time on the former LV during the Conrail era, mostly between "The Curse of Oak island" and Manville.

I don't think that the local and/or national news are the biggest proponents of "Fake News" like much of the public seems to think!
Mark: It's not so much that "fake news" is actually false, which most isn't, but in how it's presented, and how it's received. In a media saturated market, like New York, where there are six over the air network stations, plus three over the air PBS, plus other specialty stations, the stations tend to appeal to a segment of the market. Most folks are so polarized these days that they only want to hear their beliefs reinforced. Anything beyond that focus is "fake".

If I didn't have this model RR I'd be bored out of my mind during the winter.
George: I have to agree with you 100%. I do make time for summertime model railroading, because I'm more flexible in warmer weather, and I can paint outside.

FWIW, I think that March Madness ends tomorrow with the National Championship game. The women's playoffs may continue, but they're on cable.

I have a few chores I've been putting off, including storing the snow thrower, bringing out the lawn mower, and spreader.

Boris

Good Morning All. It's 35° and mostly cloudy here this morning. NNW winds at about 5 mph, down considerably from yesterday; with improving weather beginning Tuesday. At least no precipitation. No real news from the homestead right now, other than the part of the garden that I was able to plant before the deluge in February is doing well. Sadly, one of our male cats, Muffy, has not been seen in three weeks, and we fear the worst. That leaves only a single one, Fluffy, left to devour our rodent friends. Dating season is over and he should have returned home by now.

Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's pictures, Joe, Phil, Dave, Chet, Tom, and all others. I also like the scene with Auntie Mae watering the windowbox, sometimes a sparse scene has more impact and realism than my usual crowded ones.
Let's look at a couple of barns today.
11-15-12 002.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

I don't remember who the manufacturer of the first one was, I built it over ten years ago, and the second is from Bar Mills.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I added more ground cover to the current project area, and began to make a few trees at the workbench. But I mostly ran trains all day long. Found an issue with the track on a spur in the area that I just ballasted, that I didn't realize I had. Seems to be a slight incline on that spur so a parked boxcar won't stay put. It rolls away about 4", but does not foul the switch. Two options here, rip everything up and re-level it, or install a piece of wire between the ties disguised with weeds to catch the axle and keep the car in place. I did this on a previous layout and it worked well.

Dave - Regarding haircuts, my wife has complained that she didn't marry a bearded person (I was too young to have a good one at the time), but she has had to live with one for over 45 years. Been married to her for nearly 47 years now. I have fleetingly thought of shaving it off to see her reaction, but have so far resisted.
Chet - Positive thoughts from me for your Monday doctor appointment. Hope that they can remove some staples and allow you to start some physical therapy including driving and grilling.
Tom - Excellent club pictures. I dream at night of finally getting my layout to that level of completion.
George - Get well soon, the links are waiting.

Regarding TV and the news. Other than 45 minutes each weekday morning to catch up on business news and the stock market opening, I stopped watching TV about 25 years ago. It's been the best way to fix pre-emption! We have only one TV in our house and my wife has complete control, I don't care. March Madness in an annual passion for her, she will actually make her work schedule around the non-primetime games. That game actually makes more sense to me than baseball, even though I think that some of the rules are stupid, double-dribble, three second violations, etc. Of course the time-out strategy near the end of a close game seems maddeningly disruptive.
As far as fake news is concerned, all networks and news organizations have it, from CNN to Fox, whether broadcast, print or Internet. For an unbiased look at North American news, I go to BBC, which has no axe to grind here...they are a bit biased on British affairs though. Fake news is also a product of the beholder. What's fake to me may not be fake to others with diverse views. Anything out of any politicians mouth should be taken with a grain of salt.
Man, it took me a whole month to discover the April Fool's prank in Model Railroader. I was about to inquire here if anyone else was having as much trouble. It was a short piece that I constantly passed over. Initially thought it might have been the entire page of Tony Koester ramblings.
Today is a day for all of the bubba's out there. It is both National Tater Day and National Crayon Day.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning .... I'm still behind catching up on your posts. My apologies for that.

Justin .... Praying your daughter is recovering nicely from her accident.

Chet .... I hope you are recovering from your surgery.

George ... I hope your back pain goes away quickly.

Dave LASM .... I enjoy seeing your layout photos.

Willie .... Nice barn scenes.

Tom ..... That looks like a great layout.

We had storms yesterday as the cold front passed through. ... This morning it is sunny and 38 degrees. It will be in the mid 40's later.

Everybody ..... Have a nice Sunday.

Good morning,
Wife not feeling well today, going to skip church and run to Menards for an air purifier. She is full of gunk. First spring living in Minneapolis and stuff hanging in the air everywhere.

Otherwise, glorious sunshine out today, accompanied by a chorus of songbirds!

Great photos eveyone,

Tom-- really nice layout shots

Willie-- love the farm scenes

Here is my layout shot of the day, farmers market:
market.jpg.JPG

Will be working on the steam locomotive today as well. I am really happy the way it is turning out, glad I bought two packets of decals because a few took several attempts.

Picked up the Dull Coat at the hobby store yesterday. Also a headlight lens, turned out a tad too big, but was able to make one.

More later, Dave

Well, Good Morning Everyone - I have about recovered from the grueling city bus trip back to the Riverside Train Station where my wheels were parked. I had the choice of three different stations/routes (all within 20 minutes of each other) for going downtown and I had to pick the route which had maintenance programed
for the entire weekend starting after the morning "commute" times which somehow I overlooked.
The whole ordeal was not as bad as I feared, not like the time that I left from Ontario Airport and came back into LAX a week later - took a local shuttle back to Ontario which went all over North Hollywood getting me to Ontario 4 hrs and 45 min later which should have been no longer that ONE Hour.

Grandson is in the semi-finals of his band competetion today in San Bernardino, so we will be spending more hours today driving the racetracks of the freeways for another half day. :mad:
On another more pleasant note - it is a beautiful cloudless day with a high of 83 expected.

Willie - Don't like the "first" barn - too red .. I do like the second one!
On another note ... Never been a fan of beards except closely trimmed ones. I have gotten in the habit of only shaving about once a week, but that is as long as I can take it.

DAVE - Always enjoy the perspective of your layout photos!

UPS showed up at the door yesterday with a big package of a towbar and brake system for the RV. The baseplate for the car should show up in the next couple days - then all I will need (hopefully) will be a light kit?
That is all for now - the truck is still at the shop ... still having dashboard light problems!:mad::mad::mad:

Good morning. A chilly start to the da at 19, but it is already up into the 40's.

Mark - I am with you when it comes to basketball. No interest at all. Could care less.

Tom - Those are some really nice club photos. Really like the ones of the LV Gorge. Thanks for posting.

Dave - Nice farmers market scene.

Willie - The barns are looking good. Really like the light weathering on the second one.

Joe, Willie and others, I am looking forward to tomorrows trip to the doctor to have the staples removed and to get physical therapy started. Want to be able to not only drink beer right handed, but to get back to bowling again. I have been doing good with the beer left handed though.

Here's a step back in time. 30 years ago this is what we had available for highly detailed freight cars. Wood kits such as this old Silver Streak kit.

thumbnail_20171016_182518.jpg

I ran across a few of these kits that I put together many many moons ago when I was cleaning out the hidden staging tracks. It's the first time in years that they were all empty and got cleaned. That's why the engine terminal was so cluttered Joe. Started picking up cars at industries and the yards and moving them back to the hidden staging tracks as I do probably have way too many cars and locomotives for this size layout. Some of them will be put into my travel box that I take to the club starting late next month.

The race in Texas will be coming up soon so here's my layout shot for today. An oops moment at the club.

20181020_203504.jpg

I had absolutely nothing at all do do with it by the way.

Later

Initially thought it might have been the entire page of Tony Koester ramblings.

Willie: I had the same problem. They hid it so well, I didn't notice. ;). Koester, was so far out of character, that I really suspected that his page was the April fool gag.

Dave B: Like the farmers market.

Chet: Best of luck for tomorrow. Like the Silver Streak box car. And... it looks like your wreck involves your own 737 problem :rolleyes:.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back