Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

The volunteering did not happen today, but grocery shopping instead:eek:. After getting home I did several chores outside, so no MRR time today. I did make up a list for what I need to finish the project, so probably a run to the LHS tomorrow.

Sherrel- Thank you. I quit watching baseball after their strike in the 80's?

Greg- Not a problem.

Garry- Thank you. Great layout scene. Condolences to you and Shelley on her brother's passing.

Justin- That is a horrible scary situation for a parent. I'm glad she is doing well and will be released soon. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Willie- Another great layout shot. You're layout looks huge. Can you tell us the general dimensions?

Johnny- Great layout shot. Your pike looks like a busy place.

Max- Thank you.

Dave- another great shot.

Chet- Good info on LG. Are they Chinese?...but then most things are these days. Another great layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

My wife’s brother just passed away . He lived in Texas.
You have my support.

The Mohawk believe that you become part of a story just by hearing it, and that story also becomes part of your own story. Your brother-in-law is now part of our story, and we of his.

Speaking of appliances...we had our local service guy, the owner of the business, come to repair our washing machine. The transmission was beyond repair and we thought we would purchase a new set of washer and dry after hearing the bad news. The service guy, Greg said repair the old washer for about half the price of a new washer and it will last another 10 years. He sells many name brands and said that the gears in the transmissions are all plastic in the newer models where our gears are metal. The plastic gears just don't last. He guaranteed the machine repairs and would repair it free if anything happened to the new transmission within a year.

He made some comments about the newer machines not made to last or or have the ability for repair work done as easy as the older machines. The new machines have a built in expiration.

I read that most of the household appliances are made in China or Korea.

Greg

Last edited:
GARRY- Condolences to the family.

JUSTIN- The joys of Parenthood. Sorry she and you were hurt, glad no serious injury.

Phil

An update for everyone. Daughter is home. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It has been quite a stressful endeavor to say the least. I had guilt initially for falling on my face. However I'm treating it as a blessing. Had I not fallen down I would have seen her strike the tree and more than likely been first to get there while she was still unconscious. It would have made me feel even worse. I was lucky to get there when she came to. Albeit I was still trying to catch my breath again as it got knocked out of me when I fell. The first person to see her was my daughter's former kindergarten teacher who just so happens to be married to an EMT. So that was a huge help in this mess. He stabilized her until the ambulance came. Me and the misses went to the scene today to see how my daughter hit and how she got there as I was face down in the dirt when it happened. Found my daughter struck a larger tree before hitting a smaller one. The smaller one being the one that did the damage to her. The bigger tree being the one that turned her handlebars sideways. I would venture to say she was thrown into the smaller tree. She's healing up nicely though. All of her facial swelling has went down and she is home! Unfortunately I have to take the kids out of her because of her liver for the next six weeks but she should make a full recovery. Follow up appointment on the 4th and hopefully we can continue to move forward. She is already wanting to get back to riding her bike. She looked at it today when we got home and was so happy it isn't broken. I guess you can't keep a kid down. Of course it'll be awhile before she can ride it again and a new helmet is in order.

Justin: So sorry for the trauma you are going through. So happy for you that she seems to be on the road to recovery.

Garry: My condolences to your wife ... it's always sad when family members move on.

I have to go to Sunset Blvd Medical Clinic tomorrow morning which is near downtown LA. --- At least I will get to ride the train down and back, as well as the subway in between. The train travel time vs driving is about the same - At least I won't have the frustrations of sitting in traffic.

Garry, I'm sorry to hear about your in-law.

Justin, I have a bicycle story for you...
Back when I was 6, my parents bought me a new bicycle for my birthday. I rode it for a while, then my dad took the training wheels off. I was having trouble balancing it, so my dad had the bright idea to take it, and me, to my grandfather's farm, where there is a nice hill behind the house.
When we got there, I took one look at the hill, and said "nope!"
My grandfather, who hadn't ridden a bike since 1895, volunteered to show me how it was done. He climbed on the bike, and took off down the hill.
Remember, he hadn't ridden a bicycle in nearly 60 years, and nobody had told him about coaster brakes.
At the bottom of the hill stood the chicken coop, which was where my grandfather headed. With no brakes.
He started screaming about 50 feet before the chicken coop, and continued screaming as he rode the bike through the door to the chicken coop (which was closed) and in to the area the chickens were. We heard all kinds of noise, chickens squawking, feathers flying, metal banging, and my grandfather's screaming abruptly stopped. We all stood at the top of the hill, staring in mortified horror at the chicken coop. A couple of minutes later, my grandfather emerged, covered in feathers, remains of eggs, and, of course, chicken droppings. In one hand he carried the remains of my new bike, which now looked like it was the losing contestant of a demolition derby. None of the hens laid another egg.
I really liked that bike...

Garry, I'm sorry to hear about your in-law.

Justin, I have a bicycle story for you...
Back when I was 6, my parents bought me a new bicycle for my birthday. I rode it for a while, then my dad took the training wheels off. I was having trouble balancing it, so my dad had the bright idea to take it, and me, to my grandfather's farm, where there is a nice hill behind the house.
When we got there, I took one look at the hill, and said "nope!"
My grandfather, who hadn't ridden a bike since 1895, volunteered to show me how it was done. He climbed on the bike, and took off down the hill.
Remember, he hadn't ridden a bicycle in nearly 60 years, and nobody had told him about coaster brakes.
At the bottom of the hill stood the chicken coop, which was where my grandfather headed. With no brakes.
He started screaming about 50 feet before the chicken coop, and continued screaming as he rode the bike through the door to the chicken coop (which was closed) and in to the area the chickens were. We heard all kinds of noise, chickens squawking, feathers flying, metal banging, and my grandfather's screaming abruptly stopped. We all stood at the top of the hill, staring in mortified horror at the chicken coop. A couple of minutes later, my grandfather emerged, covered in feathers, remains of eggs, and, of course, chicken droppings. In one hand he carried the remains of my new bike, which now looked like it was the losing contestant of a demolition derby. None of the hens laid another egg.
I really liked that bike...
Oh, where was the internet then, eh!

Good morning....Louis good to see you didn't OD on opening day baseball.Somehow I could see you in a room with multiple TV's playing different games.:)
I've done that, but it can be hard to follow each game properly. I enjoy the intricate details of baseball. I record as many games as I can and cherry pick the ones I want to see the most.

I can't wait to watch the recording of Washington hosting the Mets on opening day. The last time I remember 2 opposing starting pitchers strikeout 10 batters each on opening day was Dave McNally and Sam McDowell in 1970!

The Orioles were disappointing yesterday, the pitchers tried to nibble against a lineup that makes it's living by taking pitches and working the count. Seldom does anything good come from walking hitters. When you play the Yankees you have to throw strikes early in the count, make them swing! Also seeing the birds second basemen cross in front of our shortstop to make a play at first on a ground ball hit up the middle was just plain amateur. My little league boys know better. Hearing the announcer defend the play saying "they need more time to work together" made me turn the sound down.

The professional athletes of today are more physically gifted than ever, but their IQ in relation to their sport is not what I grew up with.

Last edited:
"seeing the birds second basemen cross in front of our shortstop to make a play at first on a ground ball hit up the middle was just plain armature. My little league boys know better. Hearing the announcer defend the play saying "they need more time to work together" made me turn the sound down."

For those of you who are not baseball fanatics; on a ground ball up the middle, the second basemen's momentum is moving away from first base. The shortstop is moving towards first base, making his throw stronger and more accurate.

Good morning everyone. 58 and cloudy out there. Thunderstorm moved through in the night. Night temps will be in upper 20's this weekend - - and I thought winter was over - how foolish of me!

Garry - Sincere condolences and my prayers for your family.
Terry - great story about your grandfather and the bicycle. Yeah, too bad there weren't any cell phones to record it and Facebook to post it on!! When I was stationed in Japan with the US Navy (early 70's), I had a 125CC Honda dirt bike - street-legal over there but it wouldn't be here in the US. It had a "dead-man's grip" (some of you bikers will know what that means). Anyway, I had just finished tuning it up and revved it up for a run around a small parking lot when the throttle stuck wide open - I had to either lay the bike down or smash into a garage door - I chose to lay it down, which destroyed my left knee - I still suffer problems 45 years later.

Did some scenicking on the layout last night and I'm changing the placement of some of the industries and stores. Here's a layout photo - the town of Pine Valley looking down Main Street from the other end. Still a lot of work to do on that street, and I need to put a fence along the tracks.

Townview2_3_28_19.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and partly cloudy, at least the 20 mph winds of the last two days have abated somewhat. Big change tomorrow around noon when they return from the north at 25 mph and we get down into the upper 30's at night for three days. Gotta remember to close the windows before it hits! Mostly uneventful trip for groceries and beer yesterday, until I got to the last turn, about a mile from the house. They had my road closed for some maintenance (about 100 yards away) so I had to go around the block and come from the other end. But a trip around my block is 10.5 miles, about 2/3 of it on a gravel road! After that it was household chores, mowing and firewood gathering. That is, getting all of the recent tree prunings out of the yard so that I can properly mow. Walked through the garden, nothing new to report there
Fiber-optic contractors were finishing up yesterday, actually inserting cable into the conduits that they put in. They filled in the huge hole in front of the house, and left a berm of dirt (leftover from the insertion of the "vault") along the drainage ditch. I had to make them remove the berm and spread it on a low spot, because it was blocking the main drainage point from the lowest part of the estate.

Thanks to all who commented or liked yesterday's post, Johnny, Garry, Joe, Jim, Sherrel, Phil, Dave, Tom, Louis, Curt and anyone else whom I may have overlooked.
How about some motive power? That container train has moved on and a mixed freight has pulled into the same passing siding. It's headed up with a F45, trailed by an ex-passenger FP45, still in the red/silver livery.
03-27-19 008.JPG

Sorry for the blurry picture, I didn't notice it until after I posted it.
03-27-19 011.JPG

Both of these models are Athearn Genesis models.

I made an appearance in the train shed late in the day. Added some ground cover and enhanced the backdrop with some green smudges to resemble trees, à la Bob Ross. Slow, steady progress.

Garry - Best wishes and prayers for your wife and family. What a drag, first her mother in the hospital and now her brother passing.
Justin - Good news on your daughters recovery. Glad to read that the accident didn't dissuade her from wanting to ride again.
Chet - Continued best wishes for your surgery recovery. We'll know it's successful when you reach the milestone of using your right arm, to hoist a beer. It's race weekend here at TMS. I'm beginning to miss not getting the free admission tickets from vendors any more. Traffic, especially campers was a little heavier yesterday going in that direction, but not enough to cause disruptions. From my house, it's under 40 miles and only a couple of turns to the parking area. I should just buy my own tickets, my brother-in-law always brings his camper in case I don't want to drive home afterward.
LG appliances used to be top of the line, but not any more. My service man told me that it's cheaper and more reliable to repair them than to get a new one. Problem with my 25 year old washing machine is that the parts are no longer available.
Johnny - Nice photos, both yesterday's and today's. Maybe in the locale and era that you're modeling, a fence would be appropriate, but many places here locally have track and road that close and are still without fences.
Joe - Thanks for the explanation.
Greg -
Short sleeves for this project is a must.
For me at least, short sleeves is a must anytime I work on the layout. Don't ask how I know this! Think floor models.
Curt -
You're layout looks huge. Can you tell us the general dimensions?
Inside dimensions of the train shed are ~ 32' x 20'. Layout is actually two levels, although not currently connected by a planned helix. It varies in width from 18" to 32", with 24" being about 75%. It is around the walls with a U-shaped peninsula in the center. Lower level has about 165' of main line, while the upper level (with a stoop-under bridge) has about 180' of main line. I guesstimate about 1200' of track overall with 110+ switches. I like switching the most and there are 70+ industries presently, with provisions to add maybe a dozen more.
Sherrel -
Willie - Great tracklevel shot!
I laughed outloud at your last paragraph, but shame on you for not liking baseball
With apologies to you, Louis, Joe, Mike and possibly others regarding baseball. You stand there with a big stick and another player throws balls at you and you try to knock them away. Meanwhile everyone else on the field is scratching their crotches and spitting. If you're successful and bat it away, then you have to run to safe spots located 90' apart while nine other guys chase you around and try to hit you with the same ball! And play regularly stops when some old fart walks out to talk to ball thrower, trying to convince them to come sit down; and then they have to wait for another thrower to amble in from afar. Then he practices! Duh! What's he been doing for the past hour or so? Takes too long like the last two minutes of a close basketball game. Makes no sense. Give me curling any day. I may have to check out Madagascar Head-Splitting some day as Beady suggested!

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday! 48° and cloudy, going to 68°.

Johnny: That's a busy main street. I like the location of your fire station, and truck placement.

Louis: Baseball IQ is something that should be taught from LL on through the development leagues. That's where the fault lies, Looks like another long season in Baltimore. Scherzer pitched a strong game, as did deGrom. I was disappointed when the Mets pulled deGrom. Well, after day 1, the Amazins are undefeated. It can only go down hill from here. Let's Go Mets! :rolleyes:

On a more important note, the Capitals clinched a playoff spot. :)Alex Ovetchkin missed wide on an empty net attempt for his 50th goal of the season.:( Go Caps Go!

I found some energy yesterday afternoon, and moved some stuff around in the train room. I now have my remaining modules positioned.

Boris

With apologies to you, Louis, Joe, Mike and possibly others regarding baseball. You stand there with a big stick and another player throws balls at you and you try to knock them away. Meanwhile everyone else on the field is scratching their crotches and spitting. If you're successful and bat it away, then you have to run to safe spots located 90' apart while nine other guys chase you around and try to hit you with the same ball! And play regularly stops when some old fart walks out to talk to ball thrower, trying to convince them to come sit down; and then they have to wait for another thrower to amble in from afar. Then he practices! Duh! What's he been doing for the past hour or so? Takes too long like the last two minutes of a close basketball game. Makes no sense. Give me curling any day. I may have to check out Madagascar Head-Splitting some day as Beady suggested!

Willie: For sure, you nailed it. Nice to see your close observation for detail extends to the "National?" pastime. ;) I do watch baseball, for lack of anything else to do. I have not been to a MLB game since 1986 when I treated my oldest son to two games at Memorial stadium in Baltimore.

I like your F45s, perfect power for ATSF freight.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back