Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some chores, then the wife and I went out to lunch. After getting home I weathered the bents with rust powder for the "metal" parts and a overall black brushing of all the bents simulating coal dust. After that I glued the bents onto the stringers.

Mike- The only "last melt" contest we would have locally would be when the temperature drops enough that you don't melt getting into your car!:D

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Sherrel- Glad to hear you're wife made it home alright. (you are no longer the boss!). My wife went on a similar cruise several years ago and my son called it the "Grey Cruise".

Justin- Nice photos. How's life been treating you?

Max- Interesting photos especially the middle one.

20190324_145251-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet, when it comes to pain, I come down on the side of Ryan Stiles who, in a memorable episode of the original "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?", cried out "Screw the Lamaze! Give me the epidural!" That is, pain hurts, knock me out until it's over. I have an ongoing Tramadol prescription for my back; I keep an eye out for signs of incipient addiction or dependence, but I do take the drug on a regular basis, going 45 to 60 days on a 30-day prescription. The answer doesn't lie in abstinence, but in control.

JIM -- Nice photos ...
Is that car getting tipped uP - or tipped Over? :p
If I were railcar tipping - I would do it at night. A lot less witnesses!
But these guys don't seem to care. They're probably telling everyone "It's OK, we work for the railroad";):p

Curt: I saw that photo and knew I had to post it!

Last edited:
Ahem. A poem:

A fart it is a pleasant thing,
It gives the belly ease,
It warms the bed in winter
And suffocates the fleas.

A fart can be quiet,
A fart can be loud,
Some leave a powerful,
Poisonous cloud

A fart can be short,
Or a fart can be long,
Some farts have been known
To sound like a song......

A fart can create
A most curious medley,
A fart can be harmless,
Or silent, and deadly.

A fart might not smell,
While others are vile,
A fart may pass quickly,
Or linger a while......

A fart can occur in a number of places,
And leave everyone there,
With strange looks on their faces. .

From wide-open prairie,
To small elevators,
A fart will find all of us sooner or later.

But farts are all bad,
Is simply not true.
We must never forget...
Sweet old farts like you!

Good Morning All. 64° and mostly clear. Thunderstorms yesterday fizzled out and there wasn't but .2" in the rain gauge. The Weather Bureau has removed the rain chance for today and is predicting 77°. That's like an August afternoon for Mark! While we're supposed to have 15 mph north winds tomorrow, the high will still be around 70° before heading back up Wednesday. No grilling tonight because we're going out to eat with our friends the horse trainers. One day a week, my wife cheats on her Keto diet.

Spent some extra time out in the train shed yesterday. Finished installing the wrought-iron fence around the small park and planted a few more trees. Essentially I have finished the portion of this town on the aisle side of the rails. A little scenery touch-up is needed and I will most likely add a few more trees and a couple more figures once I paint some appropriate ones. Final countdown is 11 structures, ten are laser-cut wood, fifty figures mostly hand-painted by me, nineteen vehicles and five dogs. Enjoyed every minute of construction.
Here's a view of the completed park. and the locksmith next to it.
View attachment 35385
An overall view that shows nine of the eleven structures.
View attachment 35386

Chet - No need to worry about the beer, I'm helping Greg drink some for you. I'm using my left hand in your honor. Seriously, keep us posted on your progress and I pray that the pain subsides quickly, without the Oxy.
Dave - I also like the rotting boards on the bottom of the freight house.
Mike - Nothing wrong with free food...I could care less about basketball.

Today is National Cheesesteak Day. While I always shudder at cooking sirloin any shade other than reddish-pink, cheesesteak sandwiches are quite good. I make a low-carb version of cheesesteak stuffed bell peppers with mushrooms, onions, steak and lots of cheese.

Everybody have a great Sunday. It's a beautiful day here, the sun is shining and the temperature is rising. Too bad that I shouldn't wear shorts to Mass.

Willie: The wrought iron fence is a nice addition to the park. All you scenes are very nice. The shot with the tank car at the end of the line, will that be the end of the spur ?

Howdy everyone!

Sherrel: Great Will Rogers!

Willie: As always - real nice layout photos!

Justin: Really like the pics!

Greg said: "One question fo the group, I found several cans of spray paint that are at least 10 years old and never opened....do you think the paint is still good. Testers and Flouquil paints are the majority of the cans."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I usually found if there is still pressure - I use the paint. Of course, you might want to do a test piece first!

Chet: Good that you got some sleep. Running trains is GOOD therapy!
Actually, I have prescribed a therapy session for myself! ;):) Going down to the layout!

Have a good day everyone!

Port of Mobile AL - Ship bound for Mexico
sQqpNLl.jpg

Railcar TIPPING
4VtRDEw.jpg

CSX Ravenswood WV
HJCCjxL.jpg

Max: Interesting pics, the shot of the box car sure looks as though it's ready to tip over, surprised it hasn't, yet there doesn't seem to be any safety measure too prevent it ? The other odd thing is there is only one truck onder it ?

Last edited:
Good morning Everybody!

Sorry I've been AWOL. I have not been doing so good. I've been worse, so it's ok, I'll weather this storm like I always do.

I miss you guys and I hope all is well, see ya soon! :)

It's nothing new, just an old problem flaring up, stuff happens, no worries.

I'm already improving, I'll be back and I will be fine!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 47.
I may have a battery issue with a laptop, I'm doing some testing to see if it's something I left on, a hardware issue, or user error.

If anybody has wanted one, but was put off by the high price of the HO scale Rapido SW1200, Model Train Stuff has them on sale for a hundred bucks each. That's about 65% off retail.

Good Morning All. It's 51° and clear. Eventually made it up to 83° yesterday; may not get that high today. Wind is already coming from the north, but it will still reach 70°+. I had a productive day outside after church yesterday, prior to our trip to town for supper with some friends. I manned the chainsaw and branch nippers and trimmed up several tree branches that I pruned off trees recently. Lots more to go, but at least I can now mow the area that they occupied. I have about three weeks of next winters firewood for heating stacked up, and lots more cut and on the ground. Thankfully my HOA (me) doesn't care how long those branches remain under the trees, so once cut, I can take my time removing them. Today I am planning to transplant a few oak and honeylocust seedlings so I have firewood thirty years from now.

Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's pictures; Sherrel, Tom, Joe, Chet, Phil, Jim, Greg, Curt, David and anyone that I may have missed.

Again yesterday I didn't spend much time in the train shed due to other activity. I scoped out the layout to determine what area will be my next project. I have pretty much decided on a 2' x 6' industrial area that is already partially done with scenery. The main line and passing siding are already painted and ballasted, and some low ground cover is already in place on the aisle side of things. There are four spurs with industries that are already built (and being switched), and two of the spurs are painted and ballasted.
Here's a picture that I took in January of the target area. Three of the four industries are pictured on the left side, the fourth is to the left of them out of sight.

01-27-19 014.JPG

Not too sure if I have posted pictures of that grain elevator in the distance on the right. So here's a few.
01-27-19 013.JPG

01-27-19 012.JPG

01-27-19 011.JPG

Sherrel - LBG is 1:22.5 nominally. Good luck with the cleanup. I doubt that the doggies will be much help. One of your posts reminds me that I have some trash receptacles over on the workbench being painted for the park scene.
Greg - The unopened cans of paint should still be good if stored at near room temperature. They will need a lot of shaking though.
Jim - Really interesting pictures yesterday.
David -
Willie: The shot with the tank car at the end of the line, will that be the end of the spur ?
For now it is the end of a temporary spur coming out of the ethanol processing facility. I needed a place to store extra tankers and since I haven't determined what exactly I am going to do with that side of the track, I just put a spur in place.
Nice to see Louis and Justin again. Don't be strangers.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 50 and cloudy out there - possibility of rain.

Chet - Glad you're getting better. By the way, it's the first time I've really noticed the view from your house - that's a nice mountain horizon out there. I understand why you put up with the cold and snow - - to get views like that.
Dave L&SM - Great photo of the freight house. Is that a laser-cut wood kit?
Bruette - Thanks for posting the REO Speedwagon video of Ridin' the Storm Out - Kevin Cronin was a good singer, and Gary Richrath (RIP) was an outstanding lead guitarist and way underrated.

Well, I went to the spring train show Saturday. Scored a few things for the layout, as usual. Here are some photos:
Spring2019_TrainShow_Photo1.jpg

Spring2019_TrainShow_Purchases.jpg

The shack is a laser-cut wood structure that I got for a mess hall at the logging camp on the layout. The general store will go in the new town. Two tractors for two farms, and the three freight cars were a steal: the brand-new Atlas reefer was $12, the Susie-Q was $5, and the D&H was $7 - all cars you might see on a NYC railroad. All of them have metal wheels and Kadee couplers - road-ready! Total cost of the loot was $66 - well, plus $7 admission, but I usually don't count that 'cause I get a chance at some door prizes (didn't win anything this year, but I have at past shows), and get to talk with a lot of model railroad folks, get ideas for the layout, etc. I did have my eye on a couple of other structures, but I waited too long and when I went back for them, they were gone.

I was only at the show two hours - wanted to stay longer, but the kids were all coming over for lunch. Everyone has their own technique for shopping - I just bring a large double paper bag from a grocery store and fill that carefully. I noticed one guy had an enormous cooler on wheels - never seen one like that before - it was waist-high - - might have been two coolers stacked on top of each other, but it didn't look like it. He was in front of me as we went in. Saw him when I was about to leave, and the cooler was filled right to the top.

I did take a couple of photos of some layouts at the show but they are really blurry so I won't post them. The spring and fall shows have been in this same location all the time I've been in the hobby (since 2016), but they announced that the fall show this year will move to the E-plex, which is a huge building on the fairgrounds here in Springfield - it will allow many more vendors and more layouts plus a larger food court.

Have a good day everyone.

Willie - you posted while I was posting - I like that industrial area you're working on. I wish I had that much room on my layout - I'm really out of room to develop anything new. But what I have will take a while to finish scenicking, ballasting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back