Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark -

I like it! Came from King Crimson's first album in 1969, track three "Epitaph", Greg Lake (later of Emerson Lake & Palmer) on haunting vocals. Mellotron was played by Ian McDonald, later a founder of the band Foreigner. .

I wondered if some one would know where I got the line from. Good Job!

I just read that NWSL is closing. No more order taking after 1 July.

And another small Model Railroad business "Bites the Dust"! I was wondering when NWSL would go? It's O.K., nobody re-,motors or reagears anything anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of Search Encrypt? I tried to download a weather website and Search Encrypt downloaded instead and I HATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost there. How did Maggie Simpson get into my train stuff, and why is she carrying a scimitar? I'm not hallucinating; I found a Lego Maggie Simpson, complete with scimitar, in my train stuff. I also discovered I have a Mallet, the steam engine kind, to go with my Big Boy.

Since MOW trains seem to be the current favorite subject, this also turned up in today's sort:
15529454576577456058911660596255.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of Search Encrypt? I tried to download a weather website and Search Encrypt downloaded instead and I HATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is it? Never heard of it. You make it sound like ransomware.

Howdy everyone!

Dave, Willie: great photos again!

Beady: I really like your train room! Lot's of neat stuff to look at!

David: Great boxcar photo & mouse story!

Chet: As usual, great photos! I wish you all the best tomorrow!

Greg: Really nice club photo! Ahhh . . . target practice - all of those glass insulators!

Have a good one!

This would make a great layout!
Ers81GT.jpg

Another Harpers Ferry WV
KsP1K7d.jpg

Covered bridge in VT
4aZLe2f.jpg

Joe - Still testing ??? I use 2 hand held controllers. One I usually use in one of the yards and the other to let the grand kids run trains on the main line. I have been running the layout for so long that flipping block switches have become second nature. Hardly have to think about it. Whan DCC became popular I did a lot of hard thinking about converting until my friend from Missouri who is a DCC guru admitted that I really didn't need it for the way I operate.

Testing, is a synonym for laziness :rolleyes:. I admit it. Initially, I built the railroad for DCC control, so there were no blocks. I connected the DC stationary controller(s) and retrofit several sections where I could store engines, and left things alone. I had fun with the DC engines I had packed away, and...
Now, I have to create blocks and wire them or go to DCC. DCC is the path of least resistance. Tipping point was the DCC RDC car. Response on DC is sluggish, and I can't use some of the sounds and features.

Boris

Good evening ...

Jim ... Great photos.... I wish NS would adopt that blue and gray scene for all of its locomotives. I don't like black .... Look at he crooked rails in front of CSX 5317 at Harpers Ferry tunnel. Also we can see the upper corner of the tunnel apparently was enlarged for clearance reasons.

Have a nice night everybody.

Good morning ...

We returned home late last night from Nashville. .... I-24 is now open with temporary lanes around the mudslide of 3 weeks ago they are cleaning up. .... Shelley's Mom has improved. She can get out of bed and get back in bed. Unfortunately, she got out of bed, walk across the hall, and got in the bed of the room across the hall while that patient was in the bathroom. ... Yesterday was the first time she remembered who Shelley and I are, and he was talkative. So, that's better.

Chet .... Prayers and best wishes to you as you have your surgery tomorrow.

Beady ... That's a good photo of the goose and locomotive.

Here is another ....

34966246414_643280cc3a_b.jpg

Willie ..... The auto body shop looks nice.

Dave LASM .... Your photo of the shop and railroad yard is excellent.

Greg .... I like the shot of the NP F-units.

Garry: That is a very big improvement for Shelley's Mom, I'm sure is thrilled and should be. Congratulations !!

Thanks for your liking the HoBo scene, I think the guy waving from the box car is, 'A#1' ! The depth of field is lacking, I still need to get more familiar with using the cell phone camera. That darn mouse sure can be destructive. Glad he/she hasn't taking to eat the little folks.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then got a haircut. I've been in a modeling slump lately although I have a coal trestle to build. I'll probably won't do anything until Sunday. The grandkids are on spring break this week, Tomorrow we're going to the science center.

Terry- Nice looking MOW train.

Dave- Another nice wood load. Great yard shot and backdrop. I had that same building, but I managed to knock it off the layout and busted it up. I tried fixing it but it looked like crap, so it's gone.

CA Dave- Nice hobo shot.

Willie- Nice auto repair shot.

Chet- Nice rail shot. Prayers and well wishes for your surgery tomorrow.

Beady- Neat photo.

Greg- Great looking scene.

Garry- Hopefully your MIL will continue to improve.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thanks for your enjoying the HoBo Soul scene. The guys at the campfire should be a lot sharper.

Good Morning - I'm late, as usual. I managed to change the clock on the bedside table ... now I'm not waking up as early as I did before? Have not figured out how that works.
Spent most of the day yesterday with daughter and other family - it was daughters birthday and she sent me home with one of her 6 dogs - Avery! He is a pretty good little soul, but does not get the attention he wants with so many others to compete with. He and my smaller "Charlie" are about the same size and like to run and chase around the house.
Spousal Unit called from the Camen Islands where their ship docked for a visit. More technogoly: She signed up on a plan that for $10 a day she can make all the calls she wants, but is only charged for the days that she makes calls - she sounded as if she was standing next to me. I remember the yelling on the HF radio giving position reports over the oceans - yes- the yelling helped with all the static! Today they are headed to Aruba. One of the group did not make it - seems as if Denver was was shut down and she missed the flight to Florida - so there are ONLY 23 in the group. I bet it's hell trying to get a word into the conversations? I am enjoying the peace and quite here along with the wonderful 80 degrees we had yesterday and 75 (hopefully) today.

Bummer about NWSL closing up. Wonder if the business will be picked up by another? They sure put out a lot of things that could not be found elsewhere.

Louis -- What the heck are you so busy at that you hardly say anything. Damn - I used to think that you wouldn't shut up - now I find myself missing your pic and comments! Hope everything is OK with everyone?

DAVE -- Great photos - The car/engine shop is a great addition. That's funny about your wife telling you to clean up?
You are correct -- many times we need an interpter!

DAVID -- Your shots look amazing. I would have missed the mouse's meal had you not pointed it out - I hope you got him!

Sherrel: Glad you enjoyed the shots. Yes I hope the d-Con snack I left out fills his tummy ! LoL

Good afternoon.

Beady - Looks like the goose is about to be goosed.

Willie - Like the body shop. All of the different businesses you have sure will add interest.

Greg - I like the F units. Look familiar. The scenery is outstanding.

Joe - Still testing ??? I use 2 hand held controllers. One I usually use in one of the yards and the other to let the grand kids run trains on the main line. I have been running the layout for so long that flipping block switches have become second nature. Hardly have to think about it. Whan DCC became popular I did a lot of hard thinking about converting until my friend from Missouri who is a DCC guru admitted that I really didn't need it for the way I operate.

Spent the morning down in the train room running the locomotives that I have in the hidden staging area that haven't been run for a while. Found one I forgot I had. Must be "Old Timers Disease". Also spent time switching in one of the yards getting a long train together for the NP F units to drag around the layout. Could have used the old 0-5-0, but it's more fun using a switcher.

Here's my wreck train. Small railroad, small wreck train.

View attachment 35275

Thanks all for the wishes for tomorrows adventure. I have been wondering if they have a bionic shoulder to help my bowling.

Later

Chet: I hope all goes well with your shoulder surgery. Oh, btw, No More Room for any more grumpy old men Sherrel and I are enough !

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and seasonal here in Wisconsin.

Yesterday I finished the installation of three Woodland Scenic's lamp posts on my RIX overpass. The hard part of the project was working under the layout in a 12 inch X 24 inch space under the layout. Hard to maneuver and poor lighting. Then working with Woodland's fine transformer hook up wire is an challenge. I do another thread on this project since there was a few unplanned encounters.

I must of did the right voodoo on the turnout since I ran a 13 car train and a six axle diesel through my problematic turnout with any issues. The train must have been running for at least four hours overall.

David: Nice scene withe the hobos and camp.

Today I attempt to finish the scenery area that I wanted to complete yesterday. Track cleaning is a must.

I ordered some card edge connectors with terminals to finish installing some turnout signals. They should arrive today, I hope. Another spot that hard to work in so I'm using these great modifications to a regular card edge connector rather than soldering the wires like I normally do. The vast majority of the turnouts on my layout have LED signal lamps operated by the Tortoise switch machines.

Back to surfing the Forum and down to the trains.

Greg

######################################

View attachment 35263

A club layout in the pacific Northwest and it inspires me when I feel down about the hobby. - Greg

Greg: Thanks for your comment on my HoBo scene. As with the rest of my layout there's a lot of work to be done.

Good morning, 28 and sunny this morning, sounds a calm, quiet week with temps moving up into the 50's by weeks end.

I got some work done on my Walthers kit yesterday and actually completed the box car, then opened up the Roundhouse kit which is my next project. Right off the bat it looks like the Walthers kit is higher quality stuff.

My wife told me to clean up my train stuff, so I cleaned it up, then she said I misunderstood her and that I didn't have to clean it up that much. Sometimes we need an interpreter, I guess.

David Trussrod-- nice scene with hobos

Louis, Willie, Toot, Terry, David-- good morning and please pass the coffee

Layout photo of the day, my service shop with some nice scenery. The building was worked over busted up thing I bought on Ebay. I squared off the door and added a couple roof vents:

View attachment 35253

Everyone take it easy today, Dave

Dave: Thanks for enjoying my little HoBo camp scene.

Your doing some really nice work on your layout alright, gives me inspiration to get going on mine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back