Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

20 and sunny this morning, We lost 15" of snow last week, according to the weather woman. She said we only have 4" left but it looks more like a foot on the ground here.

I worked on my window display some this morning, adding some more ballast and also doing some assembly on one of the older Walthers kits.

Sherrel-- great photos of your vicinity, really gives a flavor of your landscape.

Willie--nice photos of your layout as well

Here is my layout shot of the day; the log car carries 16' logs made from goldenrod weeds that dried on the stem. I cut them up with a razor blade.

I had numerous 40' flat cars, some of which I sold at a train fair. Now I am kicking myself for selling them, as there are not that available. I have been successful at purchasing some 30' ones,which are probably more appropirate for the earlier scenes, anyway.

_MG_5548.jpg

Everyone have a fine Saturday!

Dave

DAVE -- Those "logs" really look great. You just needed a little rust on those chains and a few more stakes on the flat? Do you happen to know what size chain that you used?
Your layout shots are very realistic .. the ground level makes one feel as if he/she is part of the scene.

Willie -- You have been putting up some great photos! Like them all, even if I fail to comment each time!
I like your "senickering"?

Thanks, Sherrel, can't remember anything about the chains. Iguess they were supposed to be brand new or well used chains, however they still would have been a little darker in the least.

I think I read someone talking about work trains, couldn't find it but found these cool photos, again taken by Ron Nixon, work train photos.

wreck 1.PNG
work train 2.PNG
work train 3.PNG
work train4.PNG

All of these were taken in the 40's, except the bottom one which looks older. They are all out west, except the bottom one again which was taken near Deerwood, MN

Believe it or not, that's where the "golden state" slogan comes from, when everything turns golden brown. NOT when you dig the metal out of the ground, or the local authorities remove as much of your gold as possible at tax-time.

Kinda like Chicagos slogan, "The windy City" Out of towners think its because of the winds off the lake. Its really from all the politicians blowing hot air. that's the urban legend anyways.

A late good morning. Looks like a nice day again. Already into the 40's after a start at 28 degrees. The snow is slowly melting off.

My son and his wife come over every Sunday for dinner and he was wondering when we were going to grill something. The rear deck was piled deep in snow, probably around 3 feet of it. He came over this morning to dig out the deck. Guess he likes grilling. Rib eyes for dinner tomorrow.

thumbnail_20190316_105634.jpg

Sherrel - I have a number of Tichy car kits that I have build. I will agree with Mark as the detail is excellent on them. When they were introduced, they were among the best kits available. They do not come with trucks or couplers. As Mark mentioned, #5 Kadee slip right in. I found a couple of box car kits that I haven't built yet in my stash of train stuff.

Willie - Love your photos. The detail is excellent adding a lot of interest to the town.

Joe - Thanks for the wreck train info. Mark's photos are a nice example.

Mark - Nice photo of the flat car.

I did get to do some switching with my new favorite little switcher. Here's the Walther's kit I turned into a Meadowgold dairy plant. Nice of Classic Metal Works to offer vehicles for Meadowgold.

thumbnail_20190315_095940.jpg

Here the 70 ton switcher spots an IGA reefer at the dairy after spotting a box car at the freight station next door.

thumbnail_20190315_095322.jpg

After dropping off the reefer, it picks up a loaded box car at the grain elevator.

thumbnail_20190315_095846.jpg

Here's my rail picture for today.

train_tracks_by_funky_fairy.jpg

Think it's time to visit the train room and run some more trains.

Later

Afternoon All,

I got back from Gainesville around 10 AM today. I had a great time but got some heavy duty sunburn. I forgot to mention on Thursday I finally got the missing part in and I put several coats of A&I on everything. Today I changed out a toilet with lift assistance from my son.

Sherrel- Pretty scenery. I have built 6 of their flat cars. I thought (remembered) they came with wheel sets and couplers that needed replacement with K-D's but if Chet says no then I guess I didn't remember correctly. I looked at the Tichy site but it doesn't say one way or another that I could find.

Willie- Happy Birthday to your daughter, and yes they grow up quick. Interesting pictures with the figures.

Dave- Nice log load.

Chet- Nice layout pictures.

I took a couple of pictures when I got to the track yesterday and a very short video later.

20190315_075222.jpg

20190315_075429.jpg

Good evening, everybody ...

Dave LASM .... Nice layout photo with logs on flatcar, and this are interesting historical photos.

Chet .... Very nice to see your pictures of switching at the dairy plant.

Terry .... I like your work train.

Willie .... I like your scenes. The guy coming out of teh manhole is a good idea.

Curt .... Interesting photos at the track.

Sherrel .... Nice scenery in your area. I hear about CA politics. Crazy and dangerous.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have any experience with Tichy car kits?
I want to get a few of their ore cars and pulpwood flats.
View attachment 35186View attachment 35187
Do they come with trucks, couplers?
If they do - are they any good?

Sherrel:. Sometime back I purchased a kit of the Tichy Ore Cars, two cars per kit. They did include their own reduced size of Archbar trucks due to limited space under the body due to the truss rods. Tichy makes their castings very precise and to scale I'm sure but the side frame of their trucks are less than substantial. I'm very gentle handling my equipment but managed to break two side frames! This left this car enopperable, I guess I could use the other pair of trucks but afraid the same thing will happen ? .
IMG_20190316_173811.jpg

Good morning ANPL Weather Channel! +20 degrees, light winds & cloudy skies today! The next 10 days the temperatures will steadily rise until it won't go below freezing all day and night! Going to a folk concert tonight in St. Cloud, MN. No Model Railroading today, visit oldest son, daughter-In-Law and the grand kinders. Then maybe the younger son and his son!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherrel:. Sometime back I purchased a kit of the Tichy Ore Cars, two cars per kit. They did include their own reduced size of Archbar trucks due to limited space under the body due to the truss rods. Tichy makes their castings very precise and to scale I'm sure but the side frame of their trucks are less than substantial. I'm very gentle handling my equipment but managed to break two side frames! This left this car enopperable, I guess I could use the other pair of trucks but afraid the same thing will happen ? .View attachment 35211

I don't remember my "Tichy" cars coming with trucks! Doesn't mean they didn't, just means I don't remember. If they are too fragile, I would replace with Walthers; or, Kadees. Looking at your cars Trussrod, makes me think I need some of these wood Ore Cars for my layout!

Interesting evening,went with a friend to a guys layout to run operations.Haven't done old school DC with blocks in awhile.About 12 of us with 4 yards we paired up to make trains,one would do the switching and check the manifest the other would run the switcher.The rest ran the main moving the built trains to the yard they were headed.We all made up 2 trains and broke down 2.It's different how DCC makes wiring so much simpler,the wiring that he has for the yards and blocking is a nightmare.

Mark's photos are a nice example.

Mark - Nice photo of the flat car.

I see a couple posts here where "Mark" has been address as the poster of photos. They were not posted by myself, is there another "Mark" here who has posted the photos? Maybe I'm being confused with Logandsawman (Dave Banta). So, I am confused here, nothing new for me "As Confusion will be my Epitaph"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back