Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 27 degrees with clear skies with an expected high in the low 50's.

A shame that we lost Barbara Bush. She was quite the lady.

Willie - Getting a head start planting the garden I see. We used to have a large garden, but with the kids grown and out on their own, we let it go to lawn. I have more time to spend in the shop working on my vehicles or down in the train room. The last time I was at Bristol was maybe 6 or 7 years ago and what a difference from what it used to be. You are so right about trying to leave after the race. We'll usually hang around for a while, grab something to eat and visit the vendors to see what they have before trying to leave. Not too bad if you wait for a while.

Sherrel
- I am like you and just want to see some warm weather. I have been wanting to change from winter tires to summer tires for a month and just when I think it's a good time to do it, the white stuff is on the ground again. It sounds like Joe is also getting tired of the cold weather too.

Greg - It sounds like Murphy stopped by for a brief visit with the garage door.

The hub for the Woodland Scenics lighting that I ordered last weekend wont be here until the middle of next week so I don't know how much work will get done on them this weekend. I do have 4 of the street lamps left over so I guess I can find a place to plant them. Here are a few photos showing the main street and where the lights are.

20180417_172316.jpg

20180417_172200.jpg

20180417_172230.jpg

Not much work will get done the following weekend either because of the train show over in Livingston on the 28th at the old Northern Pacific Depot. I have a number of locomotives that I think I will part with along with some rolling stock that I don't use very often. This will give me a bit more room to store the freight cars that I recently acquired. They will also have the club open for public display and they want to have as many trains running as they can.

Here's a ril photo for today.
o-BABY-TRAIN-TRACKS-facebook.jpg

Later

Good Morning everyone....overcast and we're waiting for the 2-4 inches of snow to arrive later.

Didn't sleep well last night planning my day in the layout room.

Chet: That picture you posted with the snow and your circle driveway, don't you need a "Keep to the Right" sign posted?

Willie: Only saw the Bristol Speedway from the road when we drove thru Bristol on our Gold Wing motorcycle when traveling the southeast and east. Interesting track, short like the Milwaukee Mile at State Fair Park.

Sirfoldalot: Sherrel well said about summer falling on a weekend!!!

New garage door needs attention to the rubber bottom gasket....the repair guy will be here between 9 and 11:00 AM. Door was installed in November.

Today, making a sign on the computer using Excel to cover up a "mistake". I'll print the sign and attach it to sheeting and frame with wood and mount to the building. The sign will cover up a few windows, but that floor is vacant and ready to lease out.

Also, working on a terminal strip for under the Waupaca Industrial area to connect the lighting wiring leads to power. Last project is start the slide-in land-form in the hard to reach area. Will need to make some tree for this area and add rock formations. A spur line will end at this point.

That's all for now....

Greg

################

Chet ... very nice photos of your layout !

Johnny. ... I was asking you about the Branson Scenic Dinner Train several days ago, and you said you had not been on it. We have a group of train guys and their wives planning to go in middle of May. If you are interested in John joining us, let me know. Other Coffee Shop patrons welcome too.

Speaking of CSX stock , it’s up a lot today. In fact, stock for all big railroads are up today.

Good morning everyone,

It’s cold and windy in Northern Illinois. Expecting some snow later on. At work we made the switch from winter to summer fuel yesterday ........ hopefully that won’t bite us. I suggested holding off a couple of weeks longer, but money prevailed. Not surprised, my opinion hasn’t mattered in 27 years!

Have a great day all.

Just a heads up everyone... We've got one final phase to do in the upgrades. I've just leased a new server (danged expensive little buggers) that's faster and more up to date. We'll be moving the forum to that server in the next week or so. There will be a bit of down time during the move, but I hope to do it late at night and minimize the outage. I'll keep you posted on the dates etc.

Here are a few photos showing the main street and where the lights are.

Those are great! I really need to work on convincing more of to you to post in the photo gallery, we've got some excellent photos and modeling work here and it really needs to be showcased! A lot of folks see it here as well, but as the thread gets older, people won't find it as easily. The gallery is much easier to browse through and look at images.

Yes, thank god A month ago the Shingle pain finally eased away. It was almost 10 full months of semi continuous, extreme, debilitating PAIN! It "aged" me and I am now an "old man". No energy, no gumption. No big deal it's still WINTER and no sign of it EVER warming up! Put the stoopid freezer on the porch to de ice and it went back down to 29 degrees! a raccoon got into it and dug some frozen tortillas out of the ice and knawed on em. I know it was a coon cause it left a shit on the porch and I know coon shit when I see it! LOL

Had a thought for a scene in a back corner of the layout...a "Klan Rally" complete with burning cross and fbi and state troopers closing in through the woods to bust em! Just a thougt, to make it "proto" and "era specific" to the 1900's!

Whatayathink?

Yes, thank god A month ago the Shingle pain finally eased away.

Shingles, so sorry to hear that, it totally sucks! Folks, if you haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, get it! Trust me on that one. I would have gladly paid $1,000 for the vaccine had I only known what shingles was like. Unfortunately, until I got them, I'd never even heard of them and thought they were one of those "old time" diseases that modern medicine had eradicated.

A year of random misery, and then it comes back randomly as well. You don't want to get shingles.

It comes BACK? ...aw man, that is not good news...LOL I still get twinges in my left chest, if I ever have a heart attack I'll probably ignore it thinking it is shingle pain...great.

Shingles, so sorry to hear that, it totally sucks! Folks, if you haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, get it! Trust me on that one. I would have gladly paid $1,000 for the vaccine had I only known what shingles was like. Unfortunately, until I got them, I'd never even heard of them and thought they were one of those "old time" diseases that modern medicine had eradicated.

A year of random misery, and then it comes back randomly as well. You don't want to get shingles.

Is that vaccine good for life then, or does it have to be renewed?

Here's my latest DPM project...The King Building. I accidentally bumped the sign (Blair Line) and chimney before taking the photo. Photos sure show any items that need correcting. The building will be in a run down industrial area. No light will be coming in from the rear so the open windows will be darker.

Weathering is on the heavy side, but once in its location on the layout the building will blend in. A wooden fence is planned for the right side of the structure.

IMG_0329[1].jpg

Thanks....back to work.

Greg

Nice looking building Greg. The weathering is fine. Like it.

I never got the Shingles vaccine because I never had chicken pox.My doctor mentioned the shot, but when I told hm about never having chicken pox, conversation over.

I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV and I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Shingles symptoms can come back, but usually far less severe. You mention a bit of tingling, that's the kind of thing I mean. You think you're over it, but it seems to linger.

The vaccine is a "one and done" thing as far as I'm aware. Consult your physician, but if you're over 40, I'd seriously look into it.

The vaccine is a "one and done" thing as far as I'm aware. Consult your physician, but if you're over 40, I'd seriously look into it.

I'm not a Doc either. I do know that Medicare does NOT cover the Shingles shot. It is covered by some, but not all of the Medicare Part D (Drug), plans on the market. You can have the shot administered at participating Pharmacies, including Walmart. Amazing that Medicare covers all the quack stuff advertised on TV, but not an immunization for a very painful and common disease. :rolleyes:

Finally ... A very nice day around here. Expected high of 73 with calm clear sky and VERY HIGH UV.
The ladies will be tanning for sure!

GREG -- Very nice building. I really like the large sign on top. Reminds me of bygone days.

CHET -- Things around your town just keep getting better. The street lights add a real touch of realism.

BOB -- I guess I should thank you for wanting me to get stuck again! I was stuck so much during all my jaunts in and out of the hospitals over the past three years that ... well never mind. I do not know if I ever had the "pox", or not? Think I should get the shot anyway? Several of the Spousal Unit Kate's clients have had shingles and none of them have a kind word to say about them. She did get the shot!

Good news department ... My tax man called yesterday ... said that he had me on extension and that I did not owe any additional.
Thank goodness - I had already paid in more than I ever paid since retiring due to the gains tax on a property sale.
Seriously running out of write-offs!

The truck saga drags on -- I called BOB this morning to inquire and told him (as soon as he answered the phone) that: "If you don't embalm it after a couple days, it will begin to stink!" - Then he laughed and I cried.
He informed me that he could tell me everything that was NOT wrong, but he wanted to keep it for a couple more days.
How much rental should he pay me?????

Last edited:
Chet ... very nice photos of your layout !

Johnny. ... I was asking you about the Branson Scenic Dinner Train several days ago, and you said you had not been on it. We have a group of train guys and their wives planning to go in middle of May. If you are interested in John joining us, let me know. Other Coffee Shop patrons welcome too.

Garry - when you have the exact date and details, let me know. Can't be sure yet, but my wife and I might be able to join the throng!

Good evening. It's sunny and 82.
Got the laptop back today, and am migrating my stuff back onto it. After they got done with it, it is essentially a new laptop. Everything except the screen was replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back