Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry: Kalmbach has a forum, can you post the address/link I;d like to take a look at it, thanksI think

I have come up with a solution to the fall back and spring forward thing. Saw folks complaining how awful and unjust (like everything else is today) and a hardships the time shift iscausing.If I were king this coming October I'd fall back 30 min and leave it at that, problem solved.

greg

Joe. ... I did not think of you as in trouble. The MR Forum has lost good participants directly or indirectly because of the stricter rules and closer moderation. That said, I understand Kalmbach must protect its image, and that explains their policies. ...

I met Jeff Runnig Bear in the MR Forum. When he was about to enter the hospital for an amputation, I asked him if he would like for me to join all of his forums so I could relay information about his situation from my talking with his father on the phone for updates. He was in several forums. . For a while I was in each of those. I liked this forum and stayed with it. Thankfully guys here have not asked me to leave because I like it here because I like each of you. I’m still a regular in the MR Forum with a different screen name.

Perhaps some day I should honor Jeff by Kit-bashing my own “Franken-Diesel”. LOL

Greg.

modelrailroader.com

Or ... mrr.trains.com

Go to bottom of page and click on “community”

Then scroll to “general discussion” or one of the other choices , and click on it

Good Morning All. 37° and mostly cloudy to start the day. Mostly uneventful day yesterday as I spent over an hour mowing, interspersed with some tree pruning. Today is branch relocation for firewood prep for next winter. Had to irrigate the garden as it hasn't rained since the 8" week over two weeks ago.Grilled some turkey burgers for supper last night, tonight it's pork chops.
Out in the train shed, I only did a small area of ground cover, since it was at the front and I know better than to lean over it! While taking a break from running trains, I dug out a Bar Mills kit designed for beginners that's been on the shelf, H J Simpson Feed & Seed.
https://www.barmillsmodels.com/inde...9&vmcchk=1&Itemid=999&redirected=1&Itemid=999
It may or may not be included it in the area to the right of the scene that I am currently working on: I have another similar structure that I could use instead.
Here's the parts laid out on the workbench.
03-12-18 018.JPG

Justin - I like that little church. I have the same church and didn't do anything different except attach it to it's base. Here's an old photo taken about 2.5 years ago.
06-18-15 163.001.JPG
4" of snow closing schools? Even here they don't do that. Your district must have had a "snow day" to use up!
Joe - It still scares me regarding the cost of these implants which I had to pay cash for...dental insurance barely paid 10%.
Greg - I used that liquid window glazing many years ago, but I found that Elmer's White Glue or Aleene's Tacky Glue performed just as well, for a fraction of the cost.
Johnny - See Terry's post regarding application of liquid glazing. If you mess up, just wipe it off and practice some more.
Chet - Of all of the large metro areas in Texas, San Antonio has probably only the third worst traffic behind Austin and Houston. No comfort for your wife though. The scene that you proposed there with the blacksmith shop and trailer looks to be a good fit with the rest of your layout.
Curt - I was more contemplating what to do with that small area that I pictured. I actually already have two dedicated graveyards on the layout, one is on the upper level next to the church pictured above and the other is a dedicated cemetery on the lower level. Neither is scenicked yet. Speaking of window glass, I have had success with cutting up the clear packaging from Atlas switches.

Regarding Eric on my layout, I am going with "Big E Beer & Spirits". I started designing a sign in Excel earlier this morning but it's not ready yet.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Made a little discovery tonight when doing some sorting of bits and whatnot. I had some Walthers Freight truck frames from their Ready to Run line (metal wheels on plastic axles and points) that the wheelsets were missing from. Also had some Bachmann Silver sets (complete) that for some reason I had saved before disposing of the box cars that no-one would buy. I had tried to fit the wheelsets to some bluebox cars I have, but they were too short for the bluebox and the bolsters were too big in the pivot hole. These have both metal wheels and axles, 1 wheel insulated. I tried them in the Walthers trucks and they are a perfect fit.

Good morning folks. To dark to see if there are clouds . 45* now, may hit 65* later. Need more coffee. One cup not 'nuff.
Wish all a GREAT day.
Phil

Good morning everyone. 27 and mostly clear, heading for 50 this afternoon. The good news is there's only two more nights forecast to be below freezing, and the temps hit the upper 60s to 70s by this weekend. Hit me with a big cup of coffee, Flo, and a chocolate doughnut.

Curt - Thanks for the info on glassing windows. I like the tribute terminal to Eric.
Terry, Greg, Willie - Thanks for the tips on using the glassing liquid and Elmer's glue - this hobby's getting weirder by the day
Chet - nice photos of your layout where the blacksmith shop is
Justin - nice score on that coaling tower.

In the train room, continues rearranging industry and shop structures - I'm liking the rearrangement much better. Put some paper cutouts in different places to see how new structures will fit.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning fellers. When it comes to the schools closing over 4" of snow. There wasn't much in the way of preparation. Interstate 77 South was closed for some time. And of course all the back roads around aren't maintained at all. Not to mention the last snow fall we had the kids went to school like normal. Let them out early because of the weather. They got a lot of backlash from parents. Like I said I was surprised. At about 1 pm yesterday you couldn't tell it had even snowed at all! It all melted.

Willie I only use bases as a template for my walls. After which I usually discard them. The first one I built I glued it to it's base. I didn't like the look so I haven't used the base since.

I don't exactly have a spot for my new coaling tower. I'm not sure if they were even ever on a branchline. It'll most likely go on the shelf until I have space available.

Justin

Good morning, y'all. 32° and snowing. :mad:

Willie: The only time dental insurance has any value is when you're paying the premium. Otherwise, the benefit is hit or miss. Most dental plans, for instance limit their annual benefit to $1000 or $1500 / beneficiary / year. Most cover cleaning, exam and x rays at 100%, but most practices charge $80 cash to lure new patients. Restorations are paid at 80% of Network, and major work, Crowns, dentures, etc. at 50%. of network up to the annual limit. Did I mention the deductible? Some plans, don't even cover implants...So if you want "quality" dental work, you need to shell out of pocket.

The best dentist I ever had is currently in prison. His work was impeccable and he didn't rob ya either. However he had hidden video cameras in the women's rest room...and was caught...

Garry: Kalmbach does have a right and obligation to protect their image, but they are so heavy handed in their moderation, that I feel uncomfortable posting there, even though what I would contribute isn't controversial. I suppose in the end, it always comes down to where one is most comfortable, which is why I prefer this forum to others.

Justin: Great deal on the coaling tower. It's purrfect, (as in Chessie the Cat), for your layout.

I almost forgot. Thanks to everyone and the compliments on my church structure. I usually take pictures of my structures in my hand to showcase their size. Small layout means small structures. However I designed this one to allow for structures unlike the previous layout where I had to find structures to fit. And of course I'm going to leave a video. It's by far one of my favorites as I've watched the pushers hard at work. At first it was a pair of SD40s now just a single AC4400. Still loud as all get out and no less entertaining.

https://youtu.be/W3vWuAZySn8

Justin

Afternoon All,

Today I painted 168 rivets Floquil Zinc Chromate and cut them off the sprue (Tichy) and drilled the holes on the wooden supports outside the sand tower bin that I previously scratch built. I didn't put the rivets on previously because I figured they would be a real pain in the ***, but another modeler I know locally did it on his build and I like the look so I'm going to bite the bullet.

I believe I met Phil originally online at the other forum. From there I met him and Jon in person. I left the other forum because of some of the stuff being posted and Phil recommended this forum...so blame him!:D

Someone mentioned Frankendiesel, I had almost forgotten Jeffrey's term.

Chet- Nice blacksmith shop.

Justin- No coaling tower and video. Do you have a steamer or are you using it as local flavor?

Joe- That was really bad about the Chessie.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry: thanks for the link, before I jump in do they allow the great unwashed to sell on the forum? I looked around some did not spot it.

Members of the coffee shop:
I not just trying to sell for the $$ of it. I have a good size layout, completed that's N. At 71 I want to sell off everything to fund and build another in HO this time around.

Anyone know of a place or person I might contact that would buy out a layout. I am certainly open to a finders fee. btw.
It is located in GA, the layouts, rolling stock, structures, details and all that goes with it I wish to move.

Putting the cards on the table,
Greg

quick history:

111.jpg222.jpg

Garry: thanks for the link, before I jump in do they allow the great unwashed to sell on the forum? I looked around some did not spot it.

Members of the coffee shop:
I not just trying to sell for the $$ of it. I have a good size layout, completed that's N. At 71 I want to sell off everything to fund and build another in HO this time around.

Anyone know of a place or person I might contact that would buy out a layout. I am certainly open to a finders fee. btw.
It is located in GA, the layouts, rolling stock, structures, details and all that goes with it I wish to move.

Putting the cards on the table,
Greg

quick history:

View attachment 65662View attachment 65663

I might know a guy. He's an engineer for Amtrak, and does N scale. I'll shoot him an email, and see if he'd have any interest. How big is the layout, and what railroad and what area does it represent?

Good morning gang
28 and clear, looking for 40 and cloudy. Yech, I've got to go out in it, I'd rather stay in the basement.

Good morning gang
28 and clear, looking for 40 and cloudy. Yech, I've got to go out in it, I'd rather stay in the basement.
It's clear and 29 here.
At least you have heat.
It's 38 inside my house.
We have a perfectly good RV with heat in the back yard, but my wife can't get in or out of it, or even use the bathroom in it, if she could get in it.

To early to say if it's going to be sunny, but it is cold, 33.3 ....... in GA :-O ........ !

Terry:
I have mostly Santa Fe 90%, the layout ruffly 16 x 12, if interested I can post the whole magazine article, it got 7 pages will show what all is there.

To be clear when I say selling the whole layout, I meaning all the stuff that makes up a layout. I would not think someone would want to pull the thing down. In such a fashion as to reassemble and run as seen. A strip it carry off the piece and build your own type of deal. Would not need to buy anything but track and foliage.

Greg333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tearing down a layout can cause a lot of damage to the track if its glued down or ballasted.
Morning guys. Kinda cold here in King George, VA. Haven't been outside yet because I'm working from home today. That's always a nice break from that 38 mile commute.
This afternoon, I have to take the Harley to the dealer for some warranty work. It will be the first time I use the motor assisted loading system on my truck. Pretty cool system. I'll post a picture of it later tonight if it works.

Good morning ! 48* and clear. Going up to 68* later. (so they claim) . Bikers here for 'BIKE WEEK will like the cool temps.
Have to start going thru all my boxes to find a particular boxcar. I keep my models in their boxes until I run them. Keeps dust and spiders away. Thats why KEN and CHET got like new (PRISTINE, CHET SAID) cars. Darn silver fish bugs eat the glue on the labels.
Wish y'all a warm and pleasant day
TERRY- hope your wife feels better quickly.

Phil

Good Morning Everyone. 43° and clear here in North Central Texas. Looks like winter is definitely over around here. Haven't had a low temperature below freezing since February 22, although we came close last week. Predicted high of 80° this Friday. The power company has the tree-trimmers at work in my area this week. I will get a load of wood chips from them while they are around. I've gotten them in the past, they have to pay to haul them to the landfill, so they are happy to deliver a load to anyone that requests them. I also get a lot of firewood from the larger branches that don't go through the chipper. They just pile them on the side of the road for anyone to pick up. Got myself a load yesterday and there is more coming. Too bad I can't get them to just deliver it to me!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I added some more ground foam to the area that I am working on. I'm at a temporary standstill as I continue to contemplate the arrangement of structures on the rural side of the tracks, and also figure what to do with a big blank area to the right of the distribution center. It may be unoccupied for some time as it is actually outside of the targeted area for completion. I also spent some time dusting off some freight cars and tuning up some balky couplers that showed up when I did a switching run earlier in the week. I also painted the feed & seed store kit that I posted yesterday.

Johnny - You mentioned rearrangements yesterday. I end up doing that for weeks sometimes before I find an arrangement that I like. There is currently a whole section of the layout that I stepped back from while giving it some more thought; in the meantime I'm getting scenery done on a long neglected area. Where I am at now is actually the second part of the benchwork/trackage that I built after the initial staging yard. It is my New Years resolution from 2014 to complete this area!
Justin - I do hear you on the use of bases in a lot of cases. When I finally "plant" that church, I will be adding my own blend of ground foam and scenery materials on top of that base. The factory color on it and most others just doesn't cut it. I also use that "Scenic Accents" glue to mount them in most cases, so that they can be removed if needed.
Curt - You mentioned Jeffery "Frankendiesel" yesterday. I was a member of his personal forum "Rails of the World" that he had started. I tried to access it about a year ago with no success, so I guess that it went into the black hole of the Internet. I thought that Terry had some information about the website, but I may not be remembering that part correctly.
Terry - Wow! No furnace yet. That's a real drag especially since your wife is less than completely mobile. I hope that she recovers soon.
Greg (GA) - I'll have to dig out that issue of Model Railroading and check it out. I have it out in the train shed in a box somewhere. I really liked that magazine. A more "down to earth" version of Model Railroader. It's too bad that Randy couldn't keep it going.
Phil - A special good morning to you. I was finally able to eliminate the silverfish bugs when I moved into the new train shed with it's lack of humidity, I know that's hard to do in FL. They would also eat the glue that attached the scenery to the layout. Their natural enemies include spiders, a different problem however!

Everybody have an awesome day and a great week.

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back