Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning ..... Yesterday I did more outside work. Today is a rain day which hopefully means time for the layout..... Ooops . Do I hear a voice coming from down the hall saying "Honey Do" ?

Sherrel ..... Your Frisco photo is interesting. It looks like a Dr. Frankendiesel creation ! ..... I'm used to Joe's WJLI26, and if it stays the same I would not mind.

Curt, Joe, and WIllie ..... Thanks for commenting on my E6 photo..

Ken D&J ...... The modular layout looks like it will be huge. I hope you can post more photos after it is together.

Greg WI .... Evidently, the electric gremlins paid you a visit.

Toot ........ Taxes are a pain no matter how they collect them.

Have a great Saturday, everybody !

JOE/BORIS - I thought BOB was going to change your name? Maybe he forgot, or hasnt had time?
Your avatar is interesting - That a hurricane/storm warning?

Ah you remember your lessons well, Captain Weems. Specifically, that's a Tropical Storm warning, I downloaded some time ago. Hurricane symbol is slightly different. Hopefully, we won't see this year... Goes with the Beach bum handle.

I suppose Bob will get around to changing my Log on when he can. he's as human as the rest of us, and doesn't monitor everything 24-7. He needs to sleep and do family things too. I did communicate my wishes to him, and he will at some time make the change.

I do need to find the appropriate avatar, once the name is changed. It has to be on one of many thumb drives from the old computer.

I'm used to Joe's WJLI26, and if it stays the same I would not mind.

Garry: I feel it's time for a makeover, and thought that it would be appropriate to change things as the forums changed over. It's been over twenty years since I worked that symbol, even the yard itself as well as the GM plant it served have been gone for more than ten years. Boris, on the other hand, has been an alter ego, since high school, when the Cartoon character was best known.

Garry: I feel it's time for a makeover, and thought that it would be appropriate to change things as the forums changed over. It's been over twenty years since I worked that symbol, even the yard itself as well as the GM plant it served have been gone for more than ten years. Boris, on the other hand, has been an alter ego, since high school, when the Cartoon character was best known.

Joe ..... A cartoon character ? .... Hmmmm.... I like Donald Duck ..... Oh never mind ..... LOL

JOE/BORIS - I thought BOB was going to change your name? Maybe he forgot, or hasnt had time?
Your avatar is interesting - That a hurricane/storm warning?

I had to confirm the switch over with him first, since once it's changed you cannot log in with the old name. Also, since he would be unable to log in, it would be tougher for him to contact me and ask why. So I waited until I was sure he knew how it works.

I saw it on TV as a kid, and always wondered about it. Later I found out about Walt's live steam railway that eventually lead to Disneyland being built.

There was a book as well, and pretty sure I had it at one time.

Yo Bob: Thanks everything works. BTW, that's a funny cartoon, Disney's Shorts used to be really funny, especially when the Chipmunks tormented Donald.

Garry: How could you not remember Boris and Natasha?

Good afternoon. Can't believe this weather up here. Yesterday morning we had 6" of snow. By afternoon, we were up into the 50's and it all melted off. We are already up to over 60 degrees. Sure would like to change over from the winter tires to the summer tires.

The wife and some of the people are up in Ronan, MT for a tournament. I passed. They have to bowl 20 games all in one day. My knuckles would be dragging on the floor. Had an excuse also because the little long hair doxie had to get to the groomers. Dropped her off and stopped by the post office. The rest of the LED lighting arrived, the arched streetlights. Also finally found one of the old Revell auto carriers on ebay. A little more than I wanted to pay, but these kits are old and as scarce as hens teeth.

20180414_123749.jpg

It should look good dropping off new '57 Chevys at my Chevy dealer. The tractor unfortunately is too new. The "C" body Frod trucks were introduced in 1957, but this tractor has quad headlights which puts it after 1958 at the earliest. I have a couple of the Atheran Ford tractors which should work out just fine.

Ken D&J - glad that you were able to find batteries. Sounds like something I could do.

Willie
- You could be right about the Accurail NH car. The price was way below what new ones are selling for. Got it for $8.

Sherrel - Like the spankin' new paint job on the Frisco unit.

Just got a call from the groomer and Ginger is ready to come home. Maybe I'll have some tile later to work on railroad projects, I hope.

Later.

BOB -- Love the cartoon.
BORIS -- Reminds me of Mad Magazine and Spy vs.Spy!
Chet & Garry -- That RS2-M was one that was re- powdered by EMD. Can't remember if Frisco had more that one? Have to go back and check the logs! Garry - you are correct: Looks like something that Jeffrey would have come up with!

Nice truck/trailer there, Chet. I had forgot about that one.
Off to Costco (on a Saturday afternoon - UGH) to get my new store bought seeing eyeglasses.

They have to bowl 20 games all in one day. My knuckles would be dragging on the floor.

TWENTY GAMES! Holy cow. Like you said, your arm would be dragging on the floor. A local bowling alley used to rent lanes by the hour on Sunday mornings. It was cheap and you simply played as many games (or practice shots) as you wanted on a per hour rate. We used to go do it, and we quickly found out that about 4 games was all we were good for, being casual bowlers, if even that.

Speaking of bowling, I love this old video. My hometown (near Pittsburgh) bowling alley looked exactly like this! They had it all. The pinsetters, the ball returns, the seats, the lockers, the ball racks, the cleaners, scoring system. Everything in this video was there. It's like the guy watched the video and then said "Yep, give me the entire 20 lane package in Tangerine, here's the addess!"

The funny thing was that even in the 1960's, when it was still new, it already felt dated, LOL. As far as I know it looked that way until they tore it down, probably 15 years ago, give or take.

Well changed my photo to the coal mine on the layout. Its almost completed after 10 years, but needs a bunch more of exterior light fixtures. Tomorrow is the first day in years that my wife doesn't have to worry about her mother, so I'll leave her alone for most of the day and hide in the layout room. Weather to be bad anyway.

Will start another Walther's Cornerstone Building tomorrow. Glue it together and then wash and paint the base coal. The DPM building turned out to look good and very old and weathered. Will take some photos tomorrow.

My Atlas Lumber Yard arrrived today. Covered porch and the delivery people still left the box out in the rain.

That's all for now.

Greg

Joe ... Yes I recall those cartoons . Hilarious!

Chet. ... I don’t remember seeing those auto carrier kits. .. I am glad you could get one. ... I have looked at some detailed kits of auto carrier kits by Sylvan Models and have thought of getting one of them .

Now I see we can do “likes” as. In Facebook.

Opened my Atlas Lumber Yard kit and it is an oldie, classic model kit. The instructions have yellowed over time due to age, but I'm glad I found that kit after seeing Garry's model on his layout. The yard office also an Atlas classic, still available in stores and I have three already, two are kit bashed. This one will get a corrugated roof and an old paint job.

This afternoon we returned from downtown Milwaukee and I spent the time being a passenger looking at all the details of the century old buildings. Some great ideas for weathering and how the buildings were added on during the years and the old faded signs on the sides of the brick buildings. Amazing how much of the weathering is black streaks down the sides of the buildings likely due to air pollution.

Snowy night so it will be good nice for a fire in the fireplace and a few drinks and snacks.

That's it for sure until tomorrow.

Greg

BORIS -- Reminds me of Mad Magazine and Spy vs.Spy!

Sherrel: They were funny segments. They are animated on MAD TV now, hysterically funny...yet my wife doesn't see the humor. Much like the Three Stooges being a guy thing.

Chet: The auto carrier is a great find. I recall botching one back when I was significantly younger, like 12 or so... You brought back memories of Ford suddenly adopting dual headlights in either 1958 or 1959.

Garry: Good, thought I would jog your memory. Yes, we can like posts now. Which allows one to acknowledge someone's post, without a formal reply. Lots of nice new features here.

Greg: Enjoy the Atlas Lumber shed. Rumor has it that Atlas based the model on the Reisen Lumber Yard, in Clark, NJ that burned to the ground in 1987. Many of Atlas structures have Jersey prototypes, including the Passenger stations, and the elevated watchman shanties. I have not found the prototype of the Interlocking Tower, as yet, but I haven't looked at the old Erie or DL&W.

Working on 5 two pocket hoppers, 4 Athearn and 1 Stewart. Mods include metal wheels, short shank scale Kadee 153 (58) couplers, and varying degrees of weathering. Hopefully, I have enough Moloco coal loads coming to do 12 cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back