Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. Mother nature was teasing us up here. Woke up to light snow falling. A couple inches of slop in the yard, but the temps are in the 40's. Things were just starting to dry out pretty good.

Willie - Thanks for the link and the info. Unfortunately I had a pop up block most of the information.

Justin - Like the photo.

Greg - Where are the photos ?????

Went to town and took care of some errands and picked up the Bowser Pennsy box car and the Woodland Scenics trailer. The area where the trailer will go is probably the last open area on the layout where any structures can go. The trailer is nicely detailed, but I don't think I can use the LED lighting that comes with the trailer because it is set up for the woodland scenic hubs which I don't presently have. Even if I do add them, it would be quite a distance from the town.

20180315_151139.jpg

I think I may go with the location in the second photo. There is a depression to the left that would make a nice pond (mosquito farm).

20180315_151738.jpg 20180315_160056.jpg

A few more chores to get done, Later.

Sherrel,
When you go to Bakersfield, do you ever stop by the UP yards to watch trains?
How accessible is the view from up on top of the hill that is to the south east of the yards?

Sherrel,
When you go to Bakersfield, do you ever stop by the UP yards to watch trains?
How accessible is the view from up on top of the hill that is to the south east of the yards?

Ken, Are you talking about "in Bakersfield"? Reason I ask is that there is a pretty huge UP operation in Fontana, and if I was smart enough to stop on the off ramp - I could get some very nice photos of their fueling terminal. I have NOT ever been to Bakersfield (new experience), but I think I will be too late to see Buck Owens in person. :D

Ken, Are you talking about "in Bakersfield"? Reason I ask is that there is a pretty huge UP operation in Fontana, and if I was smart enough to stop on the off ramp - I could get some very nice photos of their fueling terminal. I have NOT ever been to Bakersfield (new experience), but I think I will be too late to see Buck Owens in person. :D

My mistake. I'm thinking about the Barstow yard. Disregard.

Had to pick up the pace, tomorrow the new machine will be arriving. The mill is placed and the odds and ends that were on that now painted gray wall. Are now on the other side of the shop, that's also where my wife parks her car.

.111.jpg 222.jpg
Greg

Hey all,

I just checked in and saw that someone had shared Eric's obituary. Unfortunately, since we are a "blended family" as they say now, that version is incomplete. It leaves out our mother and half of his family. Plus, that photo is really old. I'd like to share a more complete version that includes a much more recent photo of Eric (from 2013). I'm not angry at anyone on the other side. I just want you all to have a better version. On top of all that, his date of birth isn't even right. Plus, I included a note about his passion for model trains. I'm including a picture of him and me too because I think it just might be the best picture taken of both of us (I peaked in 2013 I guess). :) That picture was taken just after our mother's funeral (I DID wear a suit, but had taken it off at that point) and I probably hadn't seen Eric ("in person") in at least 15 years. You guys don't know me, but that picture captures just how happy I was to see my brother that day.

Thanks!
D (Doyle)

p.s. Thanks to my big brother, I definitely dabbled in model RR as a kid and I really love looking at the work you all do on here.

IMG_3191.jpg

News from the ongoing AMRA saga, the gang of 3 on the Fed Committee ganged up on the new President and passed a motion to expell him from the organisation altogether. He was elected to the President's position by the rank and file, on a platform of reforming AMRA.

Toot - that's beyond belief!:eek::mad: It's incredible that an organization for model train enthusiasts, of all things, could be that blatantly corrupt. Seems more like the government of a banana republic. Why do they even have elections if a handful of thugs can force out somebody they don't like!?

Were you saying earlier that this organisation has the power to shut down your club if you rebel against them?

Good Morning All. 62° and mostly cloudy. Forecast high today is 81°; wind is still pretty stiff out of the SW at 18-25 mph, fire weather advisory is in effect for our area. Today is my oldest daughter's 40th birthday, my how time flies!
Yesterday was pretty much of a non-day in the train shed. Other than putting in about 12" of gravel driveway for the homestead, I didn't do anything. Between the weekly grocery/beer trek and all kinds of other chores, there just wasn't much time.
Thanks for the comments on the Feed & Seed structure, Sherrel, Garry, Curt, and anyone else who I might have missed.

Sherrel - Have a safe trip to Bakersfield and good luck for your grandson.
Justin - That's a nice picture, I am especially fond of caboose tracks.
Curt - I really like the Bar Mills kits for my out of the way rural areas. I really like the looks of their waterfront kits, although I cannot use any of them. They mostly come with Grandt Line windows/doors (wonder about future offerings) instead of the piece by piece windows that American Model Builders includes in their kits. I had bought this kit a few years ago with the intention of using it in the scene that I am currently working on, but it just didn't work out. Not to worry though, as I have several very large undeveloped areas trackside on other parts of the layout where it can reside. When I bought it, I had Walther's "Medusa Cement" on the other side of the tracks, I replaced that with a feed mill/store and small elevator; so this small store was no longer appropriate. I was itching to build something while glue dried elsewhere so that was it. It should fit in a scene pretty well with the "Jacks" salvage yard that I recently posted.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 53 and drizzly here in Springfield.

Willie - thanks for the link to Eric's obit.

Yesterday I took the day off of work. It got up to 75 at our place. First thing was I dropped MOH off at work and then went out for a MAN morning! Started out at Dunkin' Donuts for a cup and a doughnut - which I DUNKED!!! Pretended I was here at the coffee shop with all of you guys! - Then off for a MAN's shopping trip: two DIY stores, a hardware store, a farm & ranch supply, Grizzly Industrial (anyone ever been there? I think they only have two stores, one here and one up in Bellingham, WA - - It's basically high end shop machinery. I love that place, as pricey as it is - bought some drill bits on their clearance table), and a stop at Wally World (a place I normally try to avoid but they do have some things I use on the layout). That's what I call a great morning. Then went home, relaxed for a while, and then outside to work. I'll be honest, guys, I overdid it - first time for real outdoor work after a long winter indoors and getting out of shape - Unloaded the SUV with bags of topsoil, bags of Quickrete, bags of fertilizer, landscaping blocks, etc. Then after a few hours of hauling landscaping blocks and timbers, digging and placing a low retaining wall, climbing up and down a ladder to trim several really high bushes, hauling brush to the burn pile, and fixing an arbor trellis - man I was sore! Better this morning after a good night's sleep, but I see I'll have to take it easy getting back into this season of outdoor activity!! :p

Needless to say, didn't get much done in the train room, just spray painted some parts for the house build.

Have a good day everyone.

News from the ongoing AMRA saga, the gang of 3 on the Fed Committee ganged up on the new President and passed a motion to expell him from the organisation altogether. He was elected to the President's position by the rank and file, on a platform of reforming AMRA.

I wonder what would happen if all the folks who voted the President in were to leave AMRA?

Morning All!
In a panic this morning ... dog sitter "craped out" last evening ... so, either I have to make arrangements for boarding - or, not go.:mad:
Everyone else in the family has their calendars full; it's just one of those times when everyone is full! RV is loaned out to a neighbor of SIL who is going to the race in Fontana this weekend. His use of it was planned before we knew of the soccer match dates; otherwise we would have gone in it and taken the puppies with us.

Hope all your plans are going better than mine today? Later guys!

Morning all. 45* at 8:30 Their guessing 75* this p.m.

CHET- You still looking for an "EASTERN" RR ? How about MAINE CENTRAL ? Build date- 5/59. Can't get anymore east than that.
Phil

Toot - that's beyond belief!:eek::mad: It's incredible that an organization for model train enthusiasts, of all things, could be that blatantly corrupt. Seems more like the government of a banana republic. Why do they even have elections if a handful of thugs can force out somebody they don't like!?

Were you saying earlier that this organisation has the power to shut down your club if you rebel against them?

I believe they can sack a club's committee and I dare say, they could disaffiliate a club, but we are now an independent club, fully incorporated in our own state, operating under the laws of that state, with our members belonging to us and paying their membership fees to this club, which was not the case before. Joining fees and annual fees got sent to the Federal body and supposedly some was then sent back. This has not been happening for some time under the previous committee, a bone of contention which the state law changes have done us the favor of bringing to a head. I have an opinion of what is going on at this federal AMRA level, which was strengthened when the financial figures of the fed com were published in January. Which they must do legally. There it was reported that, although the fed com has no physical assets, apart from the office equipment, not even an office, it reported in 2016, a Closing Retained Profit of almost $59,000. At the end of 2017, that had dropped to just under $46,000, of which almost $37,000 came from Member renewals and new member joining fees. Notably, almost $4700 was paid out on legal fees. All of these figures are signed off by an Auditor for taxation purposes, but no-one in any of the clubs, including their Presidents or Treasurers can get any information about. They were also denied copies of the minutes of fed com meetings.

This, after much protest had been partially rectified after last Decembers AGM, when the new Pres was elected, but only a brief outline has been released. What, as I reported earlier, with the removal of the new President and also the stripping of his membership in AMRA (this being only the 2nd meeting since becoming Federal Pres), also means he, as also the President of the West Australian club, is removed from that position as well.

The situation has descended into guerilla warfare. This is more than a fight to keep the organisation as it originated. No-body goes to these extremes just to hold on to the past. I'm now fully convinced (I was suspicious from when this started) that it's the money that's the issue, and at stake here. I noted also from the financial statement, almost $34,000 is held in Short Term deposits, and that only $385 is said to be owing to Branches. I have emailed my club's President, but not received a reply yet, but that's no wonder considering. I believe we, all the clubs and members will need to move now to have those funds secured by a Govt body, as a matter of urgency, as I feel there is a good chance that the fed com, who the former President, is the Vice President, pass a motion to dissafilliate all the clubs and wind up the association.

Hey all,

I just checked in and saw that someone had shared Eric's obituary. Unfortunately, since we are a "blended family" as they say now, that version is incomplete. It leaves out our mother and half of his family. Plus, that photo is really old. I'd like to share a more complete version that includes a much more recent photo of Eric (from 2013). I'm not angry at anyone on the other side. I just want you all to have a better version. On top of all that, his date of birth isn't even right. Plus, I included a note about his passion for model trains. I'm including a picture of him and me too because I think it just might be the best picture taken of both of us (I peaked in 2013 I guess). :) That picture was taken just after our mother's funeral (I DID wear a suit, but had taken it off at that point) and I probably hadn't seen Eric ("in person") in at least 15 years. You guys don't know me, but that picture captures just how happy I was to see my brother that day.

Thanks!
D (Doyle)

p.s. Thanks to my big brother, I definitely dabbled in model RR as a kid and I really love looking at the work you all do on here.

View attachment 65679

Doyle.... Thank you for your time as you keep us informed. Nice meeting you in the forum. I'm glad you added more to Eric's obituary. We forum members certainly miss your brother.

Sherrel .... Sorry to hear your dog sitter failed to show up. We have had had many dogs and cats over the years. We enjoy both. Now, we just have cats, because dogs do require dog sitters or kennels when we are away from home. When we recently were gone for a week, the neighbor came once a day to provide food, water, and clean litter. WE do that for them when they are out of town.

Here is a photo of an eastbound freight train.

35966988474_7d17156efd_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone...sunny and cool here in Wisconsin.

Garry: Another great photo of your layout. I like all the plant materials along with the rock formations and bride supports. Great coloring.

Toot: Wow...talk about hassles!

Sherrel: Too bad about your dog sitter. Our last dog had separation problems when we would leave her and had to have her stay in a "Country Club B&B" for dogs. Each dog had their own themed room. Lots of extra $$$ when compared to a regular kennel.

Jeff: Still having problems uploading the camera files to the Forum. Tried the IrfanView program to convert the IMG files to JPG files and it did not work. Contacted Canon and they offered a suggestion and it didn't work either, so I sent Canon another email.

Early lunch and then off to select kitchen cabinets.

That's all for now.

Greg

############

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back