Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's raining and 69.
We had 3"+ of rain overnight from strong thunderstorms that rolled through starting at about 8:30. There is an areal flood advisory and flash flood watch until 9:00 tomorrow.
I picked up the new, new tractor last night, and arrived home with it just in time for the deluge to begin. By the time I got everything inside and everything put up for the night, I was essentially drenched. The lightning helped me see what I was doing outside... After I got done, one of the bags of my wife's dialysis fluid had sprung a leak, soaking the bed and bedroom floor. After I got that cleaned up, I had to clean up the floor in the living room where the dog panicked over the thunder and lightning, and peed on the floor. After all that, I took a shower and gave up for the night.

That sounds much too much of, if it rains, it pours.

We've had a above average than normal wet spring. In addition to all the snow we got causing flooding down river on the Mississippi, the amount of rain we've gotten is adding to the problem! When I find a day that is dry, because of all the rain, i have to get on my mower and mow, too. I think down in Australia they call this "When it rains it Pours"!

Good morning everyone. 65 and cloudy and foggy this morning. I agree with Mark - too much rain here in the midsection and south and east of the the USA. We got another half inch yesterday.

Garry - nice photo of the rural scene
Willie - Always nice photos from your layout. A couple of them look like places I wouldn't want to walk through at night!!
Chet - Those are some nice pics from your layout
Iron Belt Ken - I liked those photos
Dave L&SM - another nice shot from your layout.

You guys are all posting some great photos. I've said it before, but these make me want to do better on my own layout.

Here are a couple of more photos of that train shed:

TrainShed2.jpg
TrainShed5.jpg

Lots more landscaping to do, and I need to get the workers in place to really make the scene come to life.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all, 60 and sunny.

Mark-- you are right about our weather. Hasn't been bad at all lately, certainly not dealing with all the rain many others are

Garry-- really nice shot with the grain elevators and the trucks, blends in perfectly with the backdrop!

Johnny-- that bottom photo is especially nice! very realistic

Over the weekend my next building projects arrived in the mail, getting the paint colors down. Sounds like I need something called "indian red" and "bottle green" to get the scheme era specific for NP.

Todays layout shot is "bringing in the logs", one of my favorite. I think I may have posted it before, but I never tire of this one.

Bringing logs.jpg.JPG

More later, Dave

Good Morning All. 68° and sunny. We've now gone 36 hours without rain. I'm with the rest of you, having had much more than average rainfall since April. Average for the three months is 12", I have recorded 25"+ and June isn't over yet. The two WeatherUnderground stations about a mile away have recorded similar totals. The current ten day forecast calls for thundershowers tomorrow and Saturday thru Wednesday next week. Moon was so bright last night that I went for my daily one+ mile walk about three hours ago, approximately 4:30, nice and cool. I'm ready for some blueberry pancakes and some sausage links this morning Francine. Where's Flo? Oh, over in the corner trying to get a better price out of Mark for the boat.
Spent the whole morning yesterday catching up on household tasks and duties, the result of being gone all day Sunday. After lunch I stacked about a week's worth of firewood that I cut last week and removed some accumulated static yard displays (trash) to the dumpster. Gone now is the old toilet that I removed during the most recent bathroom remodel, that was going to be used as a planter (with wife's blessing!); but I just didn't see me getting or taking time to make it happen! Couldn't find an appropriate place for it anyway.:(

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the pictures yesterday; Chet, Sherrel, Johnny, Dave, Patrick, Jerome, Curt, Garry, Phil, Tom.
Still have a few bar pictures left to post, but let's take a small break and do service stations today.
First up is Brownie's Northside Service Station from JL Innovative. It is a laser-cut structure that I added detailing and figures/vehicles.
07-12-18 118.JPG

Next is Al's Victory Service, a plastic kit from Walther's. Some of the figures are mine, some came from a Woodland Scenics pack.
04-02-15 016.JPG

I was able to make a good visit to the train shed yesterday, although it was bookended at each end by visits to the pool. Made some good visible progress on the Masonic Lodge, but didn't take any progress pictures yet. Added some more weeds to the peninsula project as well. I had ordered some 1/16" wide yellow "Chart tape" from Amazon to try out as road striping. It's almost a scale 6" which is close enough for me. It's about 1/3 the cost (pre-inflation) of the commercial striping that I had bought about 20 years ago from the LHS. I applied a 7" section to see how it worked. I do hope it works out well since I have a roll of white still to come. It's a lot easier than hand-painting like I normally do.

Ray -
On the club layout, with the other cars I've done it looks a bit overdone.
I don't get to see too many MRL boxcars this far south, yours doesn't seem out of line with what I have seen. What I have seen is that the doors seem to be more weathered than the rest of the car (like yours are), and every boxcar has graffiti.
Johnny - Nice accidental effect on the lighting. On structures that I plan on lighting, if I'm not already painting the outside or if it is a light color, I paint the inside walls with a cheap spray primer. Seams can be filled with Testor's putty or a similar brand, or an overabundance of Elmer's sometimes does the trick.
Garry - That grain elevator of yours has always been one of my favorites.
Tom - Best wishes for your parents and your family going forward. Many of us know what you're going through.

Everybody have a great day.

Short and Sweet this morning -- lots of posts from you all! It never got above 68* here yesterday and was overcast cloudy the entire day -- Weird Weather for around here as it is normally summer hot!
Today is supposed to reach 82* but if yesterday is any indication - I doubt it - (normal is 86*) was 79* last year and a record 101* in 2008!

CURT - best wished for the dental procedure tomorrow ... and a Happy Anniversary to both of you.

Nice photos from all - like the gas stations, Willie - but way too clean?

Morning all,

Getting cloudy (expecting storms this afternoon) and 75 currently in Doo-Dah.

Enjoying all the pictures from you guys. One of my daughters is on an online auction for me for father's day looking at a couple of lots of railroad stuff (not fleabay). I'm not gonna jinx it I hope.

I'll know by Friday.

Willie: I also have an Al's Victory station from Walther's. It was a Christmas gift a few years ago. I thought I could use it as a Ford\Lincoln dealer as the kids also got me several 50's Lincolns and Ford pickups in scale.

Good late morning. Was around 63F at 9am Utah time, and is now about 70F. Sunny. "Cold Front" came through yesterday and dropped some rain in the middle of the night. My lawn needs it.

New here and appreciate the welcome in my intro thread. Like everyone, I like pics. I don't have many recent pics as I've not had a lot of time to "play trains" the last month, but I have a whole bunch of Euro and Japanese N-scale train pics on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/DenshaBahn/

A few random photos I took this Spring. Lately, when I have had train time, I've been working on an anti-flicker light board project. I need to clear off my layout board and get some trains running again :)

IMG_0681 (1).jpgIMG_1051 (1).jpgIMG_1066 (1).jpgIMG_1068 (1).jpgIMG_0813 (1).jpgIMG_0278 (1).jpgIMG_0276.jpgIMG_0321.jpgIMG_0447 (2).jpgIMG_0631 (1).jpg

Afternoon All,

Had my oral surgery (thank you for the well wishes) came home and slept until 1:30 pm. Although I have some pain, it's not bad considering the surgeon had to break apart one of the teeth to remove it. Honestly it already feels better than it did.:)

Dave- Very nice scene. Everything is well done right down to the ground cover.

Willie- Nice looking stations. I like the Brownie's best.

Garry- Great scene.

Chadbag- Welcome and interesting looking locos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening ....

Thanks to all who "liked" my photo.

Johnny .... I like your engine hose scene. Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Dave LASM .... The photo of the switcher moving log cars looks great. Thanks for your remarks about my rural scene. The backdrop was the first thing I did. Planning ahead with a lot of measuring, I put the backdrop up before constructing teh benchwork. The backdrop is a mix of Walthers and Faller back drops with some of my own painting.

Willie .... Your two gas stations look great. I have a brown Ford station wagon just like yours. I am glad you like my grain elevator, and thank you for saying so. I scratch built it to fit in the location very close to the wall.

Chadbag .... Welcome to the coffee shop, and it is good to see international model trains.

Curt .... I'm glad teh oral surgery went okay. Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Ken IB .... Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

Everybody: .... Have a nice evening .

I don't get to see too many MRL boxcars this far south, yours doesn't seem out of line with what I have seen. What I have seen is that the doors seem to be more weathered than the rest of the car (like yours are), and every boxcar has graffiti.
Eye witness accounts are definitely to be preferred. I'll have to remember the graffiti. I have some decals in stock. I'm learning the advantages of hunting through rrpictureachives.net's contributors albums too to find photos that otherwise might not get noticed.

Currently raining pretty hard, and 73. Flash flood WARNING until 10:45PM. I was assembling the new cart that came with the tractor, and was forced to abandon the project for tonight because water was running uphill into the garage under the door.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 74*F and muggy in central MD, the NWS has been threatening heavy rain all day but I think it got diverted down to Terry's region instead.:eek:

I had my first meeting with the surgeon today, and it went quite well. He agrees that my selected treatment option is the optimal one, since it could avoid the need for chemo -- assuming that no cancer cells are detected in the adjacent lymph nodes which they will remove at the same time. Anywho...he says his scheduler will contact me within the next few days about setting up a surgery date. So that is still an "unknown" *sigh*.

In the meantime, I need to decide which of two directions to go mrr-wise in the next few weeks. I removed all the structures off one section of the layout [in the photo I posted two days ago] so I could put down some ground cover and the shrubbery I got from Keith. However, HE wants me to have another op session before my surgery date since I might be laid-up for an extended amount of time after that. Even though the preparations for that will delay any further scenery progress, [having all the guys over] WILL get me out of this isolation I've slipped into over the past two months.

... Iron Belt Ken - I liked those photos
Much appreciated Johnny! I can certainly relate with your situation of having a daytime job and scarce time for mrr, since I'm not yet in a position to retire comfortably. [I'm waiting for MOH to reach the Medicare eligibility age so I won't have to pay exorbitant supplemental health insurance premiums for her, she's four years younger than me.]

Thanks y'all for the continuing well-wishes, it's already past my bedtime so I gotta run!

Normal hot and humid summer day. Sunshine followed by rain then t/s then sun. Repeat over and over.
Waited to call CURT. Didn't want to bother him.
Did some in house chores.Continuing Prayers for all of us.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W.T.F.
Goodnight,
Phil

Good Morning Diners! It's 49 degrees and clear as a bell right now!

Howdy ....

Mark ..... Nice boat. .... We're happy with our boat, a pontoon type.

Here is a photo of a rural scene.

35966994554_5429a6d3da_b.jpg

We have been very happy with Screamer our Mirage 27 sailboat. The fact that we have owned her since 1992 should validate that statement. We have her For Sale, because both my wife and my "Sea legs" no longer exist and the process of getting her into the water in the spring and out of the water in the fall, is more than I care to take on anymore. She has been a very good friend and I'm sure the day she is sold will not be a good one for me. However, life marches on!

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 69. Rain total for last night was another 3". I know our lawn was flooded out into the street, and we live on the side of a hill. The garage had several inches of water, though it wasn't deep enough to cuse serious problems. The creek at the bottom of the hill flooded, covering the road. I haven't watched the news yet to see how other areas were affected. We're forecast to have more of the same today. Lucky us... :(

Short and Sweet this morning -- lots of posts from you all! It never got above 68* here yesterday and was overcast cloudy the entire day -- Weird Weather for around here as it is normally summer hot!
Today is supposed to reach 82* but if yesterday is any indication - I doubt it - (normal is 86*) was 79* last year and a record 101* in 2008!

CURT - best wished for the dental procedure tomorrow ... and a Happy Anniversary to both of you.

Nice photos from all - like the gas stations, Willie - but way too clean?

I love 68 for a high! 82 is too hot!

Eye witness accounts are definitely to be preferred. I'll have to remember the graffiti. I have some decals in stock. I'm learning the advantages of hunting through rrpictureachives.net's contributors albums too to find photos that otherwise might not get noticed.

What page is this famous Box Car on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back