Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Happy Fathers Day to everyone.

As Phil mentioned there are thunder storms passing through, but I'm on a unplugged laptop so no issue. Family got together for lunch and then came to the house for a choice of blackberry, cherry, or sweet potato cobbler with ice cream. Everybody left to beat the T/S home. I finished with my steamers on the programing track yesterday. I have 2 that I can't read the CV's on, a Atlas RS1 with QSI Titan sound board and a P2K heritage 0-8-0 that has Lok Sound. I'll have to take them up to Jon's to read since I don't have a booster on my programing track.

Toot- Nice weathering on the box car.

Chet- Nice club photos. That stone arch is huge in HO scale.

Terry- I was going to tell you good luck with the new tractor but...

Willie- I really like the green door lounge.

Garry- Nice looking loco and cabin car.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, the lawn is cut, but it looks like Stevie Wonder did it, after the damage to the deck.
I talked to the store where I bought it, and their response was, "bring it back, and we'll swap it out for another one".
I'll probably do that tomorrow evening.

keN -- That's some nice work from your friend there with the lichen brush clumps !
I have heard of that method before - and you might ask Keith if this is true ... I think I read that you can "spray" some watered down glycerin every now and then to keep them from drying out?

Other that that - Keith's going to have a bunch of "pissed-off" deer roaming about wondering what happened to their lichen patch!

Checked in a few minutes ago and one of the pictures scrolling across the screen caught my interest.
H. T. Ford & Sons
A structure built and posted by Karl back in 2009. Really nicely done.

Willie, thanks for noticing ! Hey General Store was less than two miles from my house growing up I remember riding my 10-speed bike there to pick up cigarettes for my dad at the tender age of 12 . Built it using memory and two photographs from an old newspaper article on the proprietor to build that from scratch . a lot of my friends who grew up in the area have seen the structure and they all think it's pretty much Dead on .

Good evening gang. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! I heard from each member of my brood today. Including my stepsons! Spent most of yesterday at work, and today we went and spent up our money on wedding bands for the upcoming nuptials. So of course that meant no trains today it's a trade-off I can live with.
Later gang!

Yes, Good Morning, home for a few days this week. It's 54 degrees and mostly cloudy this AM. We have the boat up for-sale now. Here she is:
HPIM8150.JPG

Hows that for a train photo?

Thanks to all that complimented my boxcar weathering effort. On the club layout, with the other cars I've done it looks a bit overdone. the photos don't pick that up so much, so I might try washing it to remove the bit of extra pastel I added after Dullcoteing it. I don't think MRL have actually got any quite as weathered, unless it's among the 150 they want to get rid of.

Our weather station at the local airport seems to be having an issue... About an hour ago, it showed it was 255 degrees F, and just now it shows -130 degrees F.

Thanks to all that complimented my boxcar weathering effort. On the club layout, with the other cars I've done it looks a bit overdone. the photos don't pick that up so much, so I might try washing it to remove the bit of extra pastel I added after Dullcoteing it. I don't think MRL have actually got any quite as weathered, unless it's among the 150 they want to get rid of.
It doesn't look overdone to me. you can see virtually any level of crud in the real world. On those few times I've been called out on over weathering I always ask the critic to pull out the specifications for proper application of dirt to freight cars and show me where I goofed. I also solved a lot of issues by weathering to match a photo. I once gave a clinic on painting and weathering, and as a booby trap I put up a photo of a heavily weathered steamer and asked what the artist did wrong. After the comments petered out, I put up the photo the project was done from. You could have heard a pin drop.

Thanks for that link Terry, they certainly look the goods. Considering their prototype and MRL's Canadian connection, plus it seems, the SD35's are the only ones on the roster with ditch lights fitted to the pilot's front (all others on top) they are likely the correct ones. They're a bit pricey @ AU$22 a set (although the listing talks of pairs when there are 4 in each "bunch" and I can't see any lenses included). Ebay informs that he may not ship to Aus and the listing only mentions the USA. I am also looking for ones for the 2 Kato SD80MAC's I have, these would also suit them with their Conrail/CSX background. (Kato's idea of just poking the clear plastic through the pilot doesn't impress). I'll write to the seller and see what he says, maybe I can get a deal on his last 2 sets.

There was another pic on the web of #703 in June of 2012 that shows it looking much cleaner than that '09 pic, more like it looked when it departed the property in '17. Earlier pics before '12, also show it as not having a plow at all, but the 2 late ones show a vestigial one made out of what looks like some roughly bent up steel, plate.

Unfortunately there is no way to get wiring or optic fiber to them and they would have to be shortened to only just penetrate the plastic pilot, because of the chassis behind it. Penetrating that would then lock the walkway in place also.
1560771683051.png

It doesn't look overdone to me. you can see virtually any level of crud in the real world. On those few times I've been called out on over weathering I always ask the critic to pull out the specifications for proper application of dirt to freight cars and show me where I goofed. I also solved a lot of issues by weathering to match a photo. I once gave a clinic on painting and weathering, and as a booby trap I put up a photo of a heavily weathered steamer and asked what the artist did wrong. After the comments petered out, I put up the photo the project was done from. You could have heard a pin drop.
Oh, I agree entirely, and some of the gear MRL had of the first corporate paint jobs they did, got to look that way fairly quickly. I'm modelling fairly up to date, so a cutoff of 2010-17 suits. That will include all of their current equipment apart from the ex Australian BHP SD70ACe's, #'s 4316-19 acquired this year. Whether they will ever be modeled is doubtful, because of detail differences to the US built ones, also like the 2nd run #4400-4408 that were Mexican built. Genesis has still got 8 numbers from the 4300 series to do do yet and MTH has never done any more than the first 4 they did eons ago.

Morning all ,

Happy Belated Father's day to all the dads. I spent the weekend going out of town Saturday to visit the new grand daughter and her parents, and then spent some time yesterday on the train side. I didn't like the approach to the lift bridge, so I replaced a section on one side and made the approach cleaner. The E-7 diesels run fine across it now in both directions, but the smaller 0-6-0 and Thomas run fine only in one direction. I also started the inner loop, but found I can't lean on the train table (it sits 42" high as I am kind of tall) while trains are running as it pushes the gap on the lift to where trains will derail. I also think that the tender on my 0-6-0 is a little light as it likes to derail when being pushed, but never derails when following. I have some sticky weights from my grandson's pinewood derby car that I'll stick inside.

Willie: The blueberries are kind of a trial patch. I have a couple of the wrong types and they are doing ok, but not yet producing berries. The 2-3 best bushes are actually southern high bush varieties,but still small for their type. Due to clay soil, I dug holes approx. 30" across and 30" deep and planted them in a 50/50 mix of sand and peat moss. Then I treated the soil around them with what over the years amounts to about 6 pounds of sulfer. I currently have about 7" of pine mulch (it isn't the pretty stuff) around the whole area. They also get composted cotton burrs every fall, but I have some other fertilizer I'm trying after berry time. It has been fenced as my daughter's dog had a taste for bushes and trees when he was younger. Area is about 16X12 feet and also has blackberries. The neighbor planted them and they are volunteers that as this point I'm taking advantage of as they don't cost me anything but the time to cut them back where I don't want them and to pick them. Based on the red starting to show, I'll be starting them next week, and there are tons.

Terry: We cut the cords years ago. With an good antenna, you should be able to get a lot of stations. Mine is outdoors and has a 150 mile range. I tapped into the cable box to avoid running new cable through the house as I had a distribution point in the basement. I added an amplifier to boost the signal a little as I have enough signal loss due to too many splits to additional jacks. I do need to get a better one though. We receive nearly 70 channels, although some are duplicates due to repeaters (a station may need to add to get signal across their broadcast area). Some are low power stations that may go off the air for periods, but we're not supposed to get them where we do anyway. Advantage to an antenna is the digital signal is better than cable as cable has to cut some of the signal to be able to send it down the wire. You get the full HD signal, not part.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 64° outside this morning. Continued to mostly drizzle after I left the house yesterday morning until after I got back home six hours later, for a 24 hour total of 1.19". It's OK, now I don't have to top off the pool for a few more days. After today's forecast high of 86°, we get back to our routine forecast of low 70's at night and mid 90's in the afternoon, with little or no wind.
French toast and bacon this morning Flo. Still recovering from yesterday.
Had a great Father's Day brunch at my SIL's country club yesterday morning; with wife, two daughters, their hubbies and all three grandkids! Quite a buffet spread. I stuck mostly to the prime rib bar and various sides like shrimp pasta salad and cognac chicken. They had all of the usual salads and breakfast items as well. There was an omelet bar with custom made omelets right besides the prime rib station, and the omelet bar always had a line. No line at the prime rib bar. Being the carnivore that I am, I just don't understand choosing an omelet over a few large slices of prime rib, but many others did choose omelets! Didn't see too many patrons selecting the sushi though! Mimosa's (champagne and orange juice) seemed to be the drink of the morning all around. Grandkids loved the desserts, every one of them had chocolate in them.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the bar pictures, on an otherwise slow Sunday: Garry, Jerome, Sherrel, Chet, Ken, Tom, Phil, Curt, Patrick.
In appreciation, I'll continue today with these. Saulenas' Tavern is on the other end of the town of Vernon from the Second Class Saloon. It's a Bar Mills laser kit with very slight modifications and customers/tables/details on the inside, along with lighting that hasn't been connected yet. I haven't extended the lighting buss that far yet. Some day!:(
07-25-16.1 003.JPG

And over in Maultown, around the corner from Marvin's Hi-Ball, next to a small downtown park, is the Side Track Tap Tavern. It's in one end of a DPM structure whose name escapes me right now. Might be the Seymour Block.
05-20-18 016.JPG

Since I got home late, I just spent just a little time in the train shed yesterday. All that I did was add more weeds to various places around the peninsula project. I also completed (for now) the light weathering of the fertilizer distributor. I'll look at for a few days or weeks and determine whether or not I will add more. While it is still on the workbench, I will add some details from my detail cabinet that didn't come with the kit, fake outdoor lights, electric meter, a doorknob, etc.

Garry -
Evidently, your 1/87 figures have ample ways to quench their thirst.
Eleven bars currently and more to come!
Terry - Bummer regarding the tractor. Great of the dealer to offer a new one.
Ken - Great gift from your friend Keith.
Mark - Too bad about selling the boat, it seems like from your posts that it is really part of the family by now. Looks well maintained so it should go fast if there is any market up there.
Hey Tom! Wondering where you had gone. I miss your various pictures.

Today, June 16, is the 168th day of the year, 46% of the year has passed, just a few more days until Summer starts and the days start getting shorter...doesn't make sense does it? Shorter yet hotter days!o_O Of course the full moon just passed but it still looks full to me.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 55 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 70's.

Ken in MD
- Good photos. Looking forward to see the progress.

Curt - The Roosevelt Arch is huge in person also.

8583404314_8550c7928a_b.jpg dsc_0161_1.jpg

Mark - Nice looking boat. I imagine that it will be hard to part with.

Ray - Bummer not being able to add operating ditch lights.

Willie - You have plenty of saloons. No problem finding a cold one.

Terry - I was letting my grandson mow the lawn to make a few bucks but I thing he found rocks ( or something ) that I didn't know about. The lawn probably looked like what you had. I ended up replacing 2 mandrels and a set of blades and it is now cutting like new.

Got a lot of outdoor chores done yesterday and even had some time to run trains for a while. Hope to get down there again today.

Later.

Good morning everyone. 69 and raining out there. Rain looks like the plat du jour for the next week or so. Don't know when I'll get to mow again.

Had the kids over for dinner yesterday, which is always a great time. Forget about the gifts - - I just want the kids and grandkids over!! Took the littlest one out to the garden, swung in the hammock, sat in the swing, took everyone down to the train room to show off the latest progress. Great time.

Here are a couple of photos of the 2-bay train shed now that I've done a little landscaping and added lighting. The interesting thing is, as you'll see in the second photo, I only put four lights inside, yet from the outside it looks like I put security lighting up in the eaves - - but I didn't, it seems to be light coming through a crack between the walls and the roof. Anyway, it gives a nice effect.

TrainShed1.jpg
TrainShed3.jpg

Have a great day everyone.

Good Morning to all! FLO, I'll have a short stack this morning and I like Willie's "grab a handful of bacon" to go with them - then some OJ and coffee, please.

It;s supposed to be 79* for a high today, it was 73* last year, and a record 99* in 2008.
House cleaning is the order of today; the N. Carolina kids and family will arrive tomorrow - and the local family will arrive from Cabo Wednesday. Going to be worn out from airport taxi duty and fuel cost!

Ray - Bummer not being able to add operating ditch lights.
Yes, this loco model has been around a few years, even though this "silver' is DCC and sound ready, the basic chassis will have unchanged. At each end it has a deep block of metal that extends across under the deck and down to the coupler box, rectangular in cross section. Because of the way the walkway is a separate piece to the main shell and the shell is tabbed to the chassis, drilling through the pilot and that block behind it for anything mounted on the front, would prevent the removal of the walkway being removed too. It would only then be possible if the ditch lights and associated wiring could be extracted first...

Actually, there might be a way, and those ditch lights of Terry's suggestion could be useful. Stand by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back