Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning everyone.....partly cloudy this morning here in Wisconsin.

Packing for an extended stay at the cabin and leaving the Mrs home. Hair cut later and I'll be ready to leave.

Chet: I have two drones at the cabin and I plan on flying them at the cabin even with all the pines. One drone is small and the other a medium sized craft and both have cameras which I haven't tried or the on screen navigation on my cell phone. I have a license with the FAA to fly drones and try to follow the FAA rules. I am near a grass field airport and lots of small planes use the airport on weekends. I'm surprised at the amount of hangers at the airport for a small, back woods facility.

Maybe an hour in the train room later this afternoon, we'll see if that happens.

Train show in Waupaca on Saturday which I always enjoy. I get there early before the show opens and walk the floors to see what's for sale and talk to guys setting up the modular layouts. Once I spend eight hours there even with the small size of the show once spent an hour or so sitting with a guy who had a nice N scale layout. In the market for some detail parts or even more freight cars if the price is right.

I use the back roads from the cabin to Waupaca and in the early morning its a beautiful ride. Lots of deer and always keeping a eye open for a bear in the fields.

Willie: How many buildings and structure do you have on your layout?

Dave: Nice photo of NP equipment. I would add that locomotive to my roster if I could find one.

I sure enjoy running that C&NW Budd RDC that I posted a photo yesterday on the layout.

Back in a week or so.....

Greg

###################################

1560437093228.png

Last edited:
Morning all,

Thanks for the likes on my picture and post, Thomas did indeed have a decent run. The good thing about the run is that it exposed a slight derail issue that I think I can resolve, but I'm not sure how to fix a rerail system on the bridge itself.

Otherwise all is good until someone messes it up.

Afternoon All,

The garage cleaning was canceled due to rain, and I'm draining the pool for the second time this week. I think we've received about 4 inches of rain so far with no end in sight. MOH dragged me to ALDI earlier in between thunder storms. Tomorrow I'm driving up to see Jon, and Phil will be there, although we may need a canoe!:rolleyes:

Patrick- If you're asking what I think you are, you can either glue strip wood individually in between the rails or use thin modeling wood sheets and cut to the shape you need. I have done both styles.

Greg-
Beautiful job on the pond. I have never been very good doing water features.

Garry- Good news about your daughter and good luck for you.

Willie- Nice layout pictures. I wouldn't of connected the P.I.E. truck to the bakery that way either.

Dave- Nice looking box cars.

Chet- Nice layout scene and train. Is that a picture of you or the drone?:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks PRR Modeler. I think we're on the same page. I have one for the straight line that looks like a grade crossing, but that isn't feasible for the bridge.
like below:

ATL-155-2__42552.1504129552.jpg

Just gentle rain now. T/S started early this morning and kept coming on and off all day. May have to get an AIRBOAT tomorrow to meet CURT at JONs
Wish all a GOODNIGHT.
Phil

Today's High: 83°F 2:32 PM, ...Last year 91F, ...Record 95°F 2007

Cooled down considerably - Have not heard the A/C run at all today - and there is a nice breeze.

Rescued one of my laptop's and the wife's MAC air whatever from the Geeks. They took less than 24 hours to "shape" them both up. Wife had 9 viruses - I only had 4 this go around. I pay them $108 a year - covers three computers, and they repair anything wrong - parts are extra. Oh yeah - that also covers the anti-virus software for the year too, but if I have anti-virus why do I have viruses? I will never understand computers. I try and get them in at least once a year.

This HP one I am using at this moment needs to go in next. I cannot get the "BOLD" to go off?
I will never understand computers.

Howdy ....

Willie, Dave, Chet, and Curt ....... Thanks for your continued concern about my recovering from surgery, and our daughter recovering from her illness.

Seems like I am way behind getting stuff done. So, I'll be brief..... I hope to catch up with each of you this weekend.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Ken, Sounds like time to disable that Samsung garbage, and just let Google take over.
Karl, using the Google email app certainly sounds like a good idea and as a matter of fact, I tried it. The images do get sent...at full size (~3MB)! Only the Samsung email app provides the option to resize while they're still on the cellphone.

However, I also discovered that I can use the phone charger's USB cable to connect my cellphone directly to the laptop, and just click-and-drag the image files over using the File Explorer. Works like a charm!:cool:

Hi Shop Dwellers!

As I mentioned to Karl above, I found a way to get my images onto the laptop without the need for email. So once I got'em copied over, I shrunk them down to manageable sizes for posting them on here.

About 4 weeks ago (before the biopsy), I got ten 12"x24" Evergreen Corrugated Styrene sheets and cut them into 10" tall pieces, to use as a backdrop on my Ford assembly plant to simulate the factory building; here is a closeup of one of them, the ridges should be visible:

CorrugatedStyreneCloseUp.jpg

Here I have them leaning against the wall as a mock-up, where they'll be installed after I get the underlying quarter-inch thick Gator Foamboard that goes underneath them. The entire length of the wall will be covered, to hide the fact that this is only a two-dimensional surface:

CorrugatedStyreneMockUp.jpg

...and here are a couple of Walthers Dock & Door add-on kits which I'll put on after the corrugated sheets have been painted:

DockAndDoorKits.jpg

Garry - glad to hear your daughter is recovering, I'll keep praying for her!

Everyone else, sorry I don't have time to greet you individually but it's getting late here on the East Coast - and like Karl, I'm still a Working Stiff so I gotta get my rest! G'nite...

P.S. I screwed-up trying to insert these images, now that extra attachment shows at the bottom and I can't get rid of it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
P.S. I screwed-up trying to insert these images, now that extra attachment shows at the bottom and I can't get rid of it...:rolleyes:
Try the Edit at the bottom of the post and put your pointer right on the right hand border of the picture. Left click to produce a cursor line on that border and then backspace. If it removes the pic, then hit the SAVE button down the bottom.

Good morning everyone. 62 and cloudy. Rain chances ramp up this weekend and most of next week.

Like Maryland Ken, I'm still working full time. Between that and yardwork at home, trains are getting short shrift these days. I look forward to the day when my full time job is running trains on the layout!!

Garry - my continued prayers for recovery for you and your daughter.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Another cool morning at 65° and hazy. Last cool one for the foreseeable future, with daytime temperatures in the low 90's and nighttime temperatures in the lower 70's. Hello Francine, I'll take some blueberry pancakes with lots of maple syrup and a few sausage patties.
Picked the car up from the mechanic yesterday, returned the rental and completed the grocery/beer trek without incident. Of course it took all of the morning, then household chores in the early afternoon before doing a bit more yard mowing. Pool is looking great, looks like switching from granular chlorine over to liquid bleach is not only very much cheaper, but less daily maintenance and much better results. Also don't get all of the extra unneeded crap that is added to the granules, that has caused us issues in the past.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday: Johnny, Dave, Karl, Jerome, Patrick, Chet, Sherrel, Phil, Curt, Justin, Ken.
I meant to comment further regarding the hydrocal structures from DowntownDeco. Randy makes some really nice structure kits. They all have lots of character and are relatively easy to assemble once you get used to working with Hydrocal. Painting them is easy and if you don't like it, just hit it with some Krylon white primer and start over. I always spray them with the primer before starting anyway. Break a wall? I found them easy to repair with Gorilla Super Glue Gel, but Randy will send you a new one at no charge if needed.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I pretty much just continued with the same stuff. I added more gravel to the parking/loading area around the fertilizer distributor and did some work on the Masonic Lodge. Had to walk away from that one yesterday though. I noted the other day about the tiny 1/16" x 1/8" parts I had to fabricate from angled stripwood. Well I nailed the first one for the RH side on the first try Tuesday, But I broke four of them while trying to make the LH one yesterday; AND I superglued my elbow to the workbench as well. After unfastening, I decided that drinking beer and running trains made more sense
How about some city hall pictures. I showed some shots of this one while I was building it a few months back. It is a DPM kit that I am using in my city of Maultown.
06-24-18 010.JPG

Next is the city hall for the town of Vernon (named after my late FIL). It is a simple structure made from Walther's modular walls,
It's currently "on hold" while I locate some detailing parts and additional signs that I have somewhere! Not yet sure how weathered I intend to make this one. Disappointing, mortar lines don't show up too well on unpainted Walther's modular walls.
04-29-18 010.JPG

Dave - That trailer is actually just a part of a whole mini-scene. I should get an updated shot of the entire scene.
Karl - Thank you. I actually wish that I could make some additional progress, but this time of year before the summer gets hot, is always a busy time for me with outdoor projects and the ongoing mowing. Grass stops growing soon as it gets warmer and drier.
Chet - Speaking of drones, that CSX engineer DJ has been posting some really nice videos that he has made with his drone. I also remember how bummed out Eric was about losing his, but also the great surprise when he found it a year later completely intact. Regarding the businesses/industries, as much as I bemoan the instructions and quality of Walther's kits, I sometimes feel that I am inside their showroom. They do make a lot of railroad sized industries.
Greg -
Willie: How many buildings and structure do you have on your layout?
Twelve towns with 70+ rail-served industries, which includes seven grain elevators (another in the box on the shelf for future use). 250+ businesses, but only around four dozen residences. Since I like switching the most, I mostly model just industries and nearby commercial districts as filler. After switching, modeling structures is my second favorite aspect of the hobby. And I'm not finished yet.
Curt -
Willie- Nice layout pictures. I wouldn't of connected the P.I.E. truck to the bakery that way either.
That what grandsons are for, pointing out the obvious!:) Have a good day with Jon and Phil.
Patrick - In addition to Curt's suggesting of using stripwood or wood sheets, I have bought pieces of code 40 rail (code 55 will also work), and super-glued pieces as guard rails to prevent derailing, just like the prototype. Thankfully I haven't needed to on the current layout. It would be good insurance on any layout with a bridge like yours.
1560512843071.png

Ken - That's going to be one heck of a structure!

Wow I really rambled today. Everybody have a great day and wonderful weekend. I going out to enjoy the last cool morning until October.

Morning all,

Time for bacon, eggs, hash browns and coffee this morning.

Garry: Glad to hear you and the daughter are on the mend.
Willie and Curt: Thanks for the assist on solving the issue, now to just "get'er done" as Larry the Cable guy says.

First of the blueberries are coming in. This is the first year a couple of my bushes are big enough to actually have berries. I've planted 6 different high-bush types, including a northern variety that isn't doing as well in the growth department. I have a big bird-net tent over them so I actually have the berries this year.
Yes you can grow blueberries in Kansas, but don't ask me how many pounds of sulfer it took to acidify the soil enough to grow them.

A couple of years ago, the neighbor planted what she thought were raspberries near the property fence. Turned out they were blackberries and they've spread accordingly. They have come up in my blueberry enclosure and I've been able to limit their spread so far. They will be ready in a few weeks as well. So I've told everyone I have a Fight Club berry patch (black and blue).

My request for father's day was time to work on the layout. We'll see if life will get in the way.

To all the dad's...Have a Happy Father's day.

Good morning all, 65 and partly cloudy. Some rain possible for later, however ah heading up to Sandstone, get off work early and will be mowing the lawn etc.

Willie-- I like the court house building, don't remember seeing it earlier.

bummer about the masonic snafoos. Many of my buildings have gotten hairy at the last couple steps, then I am also a little shaky about messing something up after so many previous steps done perfectly.

Greg-- have a good time at the cabin.

Garry-- relieved to hear your daughter on the mend

Chooch-- I thank the Lord for coffee, too

Thanks for the comments on the layout photo! Often I see in these pictures freight cars or locomotives in storage that I have completely forgotten about. I guess that is why some make the spreadsheets!

Todays is the one end of the layout, the Phillips 66 truck. The backdrop is curved around the corner here, I bent the masonite and framed it with wood on its stand:

corrected.jpg

The Soo Line hopper, where did that come from? Didn't even know I had one.

more later, Dave

Morning all,

First of the blueberries are coming in. This is the first year a couple of my bushes are big enough to actually have berries. I've planted 6 different high-bush types, including a northern variety that isn't doing as well in the growth department. I have a big bird-net tent over them so I actually have the berries this year.
Yes you can grow blueberries in Kansas, but don't ask me how many pounds of sulfer it took to acidify the soil enough to grow them.

A couple of years ago, the neighbor planted what she thought were raspberries near the property fence. Turned out they were blackberries and they've spread accordingly. They have come up in my blueberry enclosure and I've been able to limit their spread so far. They will be ready in a few weeks as well. So I've told everyone I have a Fight Club berry patch (black and blue).

My request for father's day was time to work on the layout. We'll see if life will get in the way.

To all the dad's...Have a Happy Father's day.

Neat to hear about the blueberries. We have wild blueberries and blackberries on our land, hope to cultivate the blackberries and make something out of them. The blueberries, we will pretty much get what comes our way.

Ours are a long way from bearing fruit, however

Good morning. 56 degrees with scattered thunder showers to start off the day. I was planning on mowing today, but that may not happen.

Justin - Nice photos as usual. I do enjoy them.

Garry - Thanks for the update on your daughter. Happy to hear that she is recovering.

IBKen - Glad to hear that you found a way to recover the photo from your phone. Can't understand why yu can email them. I have a Samsung S-8 and have no problem emailing my photos. Looking forward to see the progress on the area in your photo.

Willie - Like that City Hall. I wanted to put one on my layout but just didn't have the space to put it. Nice job super gluing your elbow to the workbench. You won the Golden Dipstick Award for that one.

Sherrel - Glad to hear that you got your computed cleaned. Viruses can be a real pain in the butt.

Dave - Really like the photo. That backdrop is fantastic.

Curt - Yes, that was yours truly flying the drone.

Yesterday was a busy day at the club with an abundance of visitors. Here are a few photos. The first is the side of the depot that faces the rails. A great place to take photos of the real trains.

thumbnail_20190613_144733.jpg

To the right of the photo is the old baggage building which is a wine and fine food restaurant on the main level. The club is in the basement below it.

thumbnail_20190613_144821.jpg

We had a lot of Northern Pacific power running with an appearance of the Milwaukee road and the Spokane International. I brought my brass Z-5 Yellowstone to the club but it would not run on the layout due to some of the tight curves. The rear engine is fixed on it like the prototype. One of the guys has a DM&IR Yellowstone that runs fine, but the rear engine pivots. Forgot to take a photo of it. At one time we had ten trains running around the layout.

Here are some Milwaukee Road Alcos near the summit.

thumbnail_20190613_143716.jpg

Here are the Spokane International Alcos that were also running.

thumbnail_20190613_150711.jpg

With my B unit at Walthers for repairs, I was limited to 15 cars so I had to take the siding at the summit to allow another NP train top pass.

thumbnail_20190613_144458.jpg

This is the passenger station by the east yard. No town unfortunately.

thumbnail_20190613_144022.jpg

Here's another mini scene that was added over the winter. Our scenery lady sure does some nice work.

thumbnail_20190613_142920.jpg

There were some severe thunderstorms in the forecast so I bailed out early. A westbound train was leaving as I got to the parking lot and couldn't get a good photo, but I did get this eastbound train on the passing siding. The tanks cars were probably empties headed to the oil fields in North Dakota. You can see the storm clouds building to the west.

thumbnail_20190614_044627.jpg

I did run through a thunderstorm at the top of the pass and it was like driving under a waterfall. Sure made me appreciate Rainex.

Looks like I can't mow, so maybe I'll visit the train room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back