Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS-DD . 90* and Humid Will repeat for the next few days. T/s's will also make an appearance
I also knew Jeffrey. Sent him a K C S timetable and numerous cars. Still have his instructions on how to "GLEAM" the rails
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

CATS REGARD PEOPLE AS WARM-BLOODED FURNITURE.

I thought he had some Native American heritage, a.k.a. the running bear handle. Is his old train board still up and running? It was pretty dead the last time I was on it a year or 2 after he passed.
We closed down that forum at the end of the first full year following his passing. I think it was up for maybe a year and a half or so after.

To whom it may concern; Dr. Frankendiesel, AKA Running Bear was straight up good people! I wish I could measure up to him, even to be close would make me proud.

He is the reason I am on this forum. (some may regret that ;) ) He helped me so much when I first got started with any and every ill-conceived idea I could come up with! He always enlightened me and cautioned me about my off the wall ideas and projects, but he never shot me down cold. He let me know my way might be needlessly hard and or expensive, or even just plain stupid, but he never failed to assist me. I still have a box of projects he helped me start, but losing him took the wind out of my sales. I still have all my notes from our conversations and correspondences. He took a bonehead newbie under his wing and enhanced my love and enjoyment of our hobby 10 fold. I miss him dearly and some day I will complete one or more of those projects we started in honor of him.

Afternoon All,

Watched the boys today. Both of them (12 and 14) act like they're crack addicts with their phones. It's really unbelievable. I am so glad I grew up without cell phones and computers. When here we make them read for a hour and then they get a hour on the phone. Tomorrow I'm heading up to see Phil and Jon and pick up my 2 F22 and 2 FM flat cars.

Greg- Nice scene and boxcar. I hope you feel better. That is an interesting thought.

Ken- I continue to think and pray for you.

Dave- Nice picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, the last hour was interesting weather-wise here. At 5:10, it was 97°. At 5:20 it was 69°, a drop of 28° in only ten minutes. I told ya'll this morning that a cold front was on the way. Heavy but short, windy and loud thunderstorm that lasted about 20 minutes followed the temperature drop and left .5" in the rain gauge. Didn't see any damage in the yard as I returned from the train shed. I would turn off the A/C's except the humidity is quite high. Maybe tonight.

TERRY-WILLIE Thanks for the input. Was never on that forum. Only two are here and the MRR diner. Started there in July of 2004. Still in touch with a couple of other OLD TIMERS.
Looking forward to being with CURT and JON tomorrow.
Prayers and Blessings for y'all.
Phil

I"M NOT A VEGETARIAN BECAUSE I LOVE ANIMALS. I"M A VEGETARIAN BECAUSE I HATE PLANTS.

Good morning Everybody!

Attending a session of one of Maryland's criminal courts yesterday was... interesting, but turned out to be mostly a waste of time. The case my wife was supposed to testify in was postponed because the Public Defender had not filed the paper work to get the defendant brought into court as he was already incarcerated in another local jurisdiction. It took nearly 2 hours to find this out. I was happy to watch the Judge at work. She was a brilliant lady and carefully thought out each and every one of her decisions. I was surprised to hear the stupid excuses people came up with for committing petty crimes.

Afterwards I did something I thought I would never do, I bought a new 240v electric range. I was convinced natural gas was the way to go, but after using the old electric range that came with the house in my basement kitchen I grew to love it. Thankfully the Sears Outlet is still around. I bought a new $900 list price electric range for $377! I had to pick it up myself, it came with no box or owners manual and I have to install it myself, but all of that is well worth the savings to me. It matches the other appliances in the basement kitchen and it even has a glass top and electronic controls. It's on my back porch waiting for me to bring it into the basement kitchen and install it. Three of the four burners on the old range are still working so it is not a priority.

I have a 20'X12'x4' "quick set" above ground pool in route to me, that is my priority task. I've had my eyes set on a 32'x16'x5' pool but I have to do ground preparation for that one. I got a good deal at Walmart on the smaller one, $267 and thought it would be a good way to "get my feet wet" with being a pool owner and maintenance. A second summer is already almost half over without getting the ground work done so I decided to do something. I've come to realize it pays to check Walmart's online prices, they beat amazon by over $150 on this pool and shipping is free.

One of the many things I learned from my train hobby experience; Don't wait to do things perfectly. You don't have to start out with high end, big money stuff. The lessons I learned from buying "starter" stuff was well worth the cost. I believe, I hope that will apply to my pool. If it turns out to be a flop, I'm only out a total of a little over $300. Not counting the water bill!

Did I ever tell you how expensive water is in Baltimore city? I spend an average of $75/month for water and sewer and I can tell you it costs me almost $10 in water when I wash both of my vehicles. I love my house, my neighborhood and the convivence of living in the city, but it can be expensive.

When the City finally gets rid of the ransomware I'll let you know how much it cost me to fill the pool. In the mean time I can't see or pay my water bill. The moral of that story, keep your software up-to-date or risk the consequences.

I suppose I have rambled on enough, hey that reminds me, I have not posted any music lately!

Last edited:
Well. Well ... Looks as if I am #3 in the queue this morning. Had a very trying day yesterday. Finally got the "F Troop" (remember that one?) off on their lake camping experience. Had a heck of a time just trying to check the tire pressures, much less get air into the tires - I have to remove the fancy wheel covers just to get to the valve stems - it's the most insane set up you can imagine the engineers or the decorator sure dropped the ball on that!
Got hold of my RV mechanic after F Troop left and he told me how to check the steps to see whether it is the motor or the control board; the steps are supposed to go up/down with the opening of the door which mine are just stuck sort of in the middle and won't move either direction. He also said that I needed two batteries, or maybe even three, rather than just one that it currently has in order to keep everything going for a reasonable period of time. I'm going to have to think about that for a while.
Got to stock the pantry this morning [lus stock a couple of fuel tanks .. everything is pretty much on empty with the fuel light already showing it's ugly light on one of them.

Louis, TOM ... good to see you here already. My body hurts in so many places that I could not sleep - so here I am.

More coffee, please!

Might add that it has now been 45 days since we had measurable rainfall.
Supposed to reach 90* today (normal is 90*), last year 94*, and record 100* in 2012.
Calling for sunny and breezy.

Morning all ,

Got a couple of hours on the trains last night. A picture is being placed in my layout build of what I accomplished. I got a rerail diamond created out of a piece of loose code 100 track and super-glued it on the bridge at my worst derail point. I was able to run 25 laps with the SD40-2 chassis before it derailed due to someone (I'm not mentioning names) leaned against the train table the wrong way causing the lift bridge to move. My next big this will be to figure a way to lock the lift bridge.

Otherwise it supposed to be sunny and 88 today with the feels like temp of 88. Humidity way down this morning.

Good morning everyone. 68 and sunny - that cool front came through yesterday. Won't last long, though, but it's nice while it lasts.

On that DPM structure I'm working on, had to give the sprue stuff (stuff on the "tree" like windows and doors) a second coat of spray paint and let that dry while we had dinner. Then tried to cut the windows and doors off the sprue tree - I don't think I've ever seen anything that tough. I had to cut the stuff off with a box cutter - yes, carefully!!! Will start cementing the windows and doors in place. I'll post a photo or two of progress.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 74° and partly cloudy. Quite the storm yesterday evening. It didn't rain after the initial .5" fell, but the very dark clouds lasted into the night. Local Weather Underground recorded wind speeds in excess of 35 mph. Speaking of weather, It seems like every time my wife (and sometimes me) goes to Gulf Shores AL for a vacation, a hurricane appears. The impending one will be the fourth in five years! Hello Flo. I'll have a couple of sausage & egg biscuits to start out the day.
I continued to maintain the household yesterday on day #6 of "home alone". Planning to do some yardwork during the cooler mornings coming up in the next few days. Today is grocery/beer trek day and I need to stock up before the wife's return Sunday.

Thanks to all for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posting of flatcar pictures; Sherrel, Chet, Dave, Jerome, Patrick, Garry, Johnny, Phil, Greg, Ken, Tom.

Spent a little time in the train shed yesterday. Finished off the small chicken yard behind the trailer house.
07-10-19 002.JPG

It's one of those many detailed areas on the layout that won't exactly stand out unless you're looking for it. I have many.
Then I moved left to the small feed store that occupies the remaining unfinished area. The main building started life as a small Bachmann (or maybe it was Tyco or Lifelike) freight station.
07-10-19 004.JPG

It is accompanied by a small passenger shed (same lineage) re-purposed as a hay storage shed.
07-10-19 005.JPG

Outhouse is from Grandt Line in their company houses kit. I did get the gravel and ground foam down yesterday, but it looked like a puddle of Elmers and I didn't get a picture yet.

Dave - I actually have a few empty flatcars as well.
Sherrel - Wouldn't valve stem extenders work?
Johnny - I use a pair of flush cut pliers when I work with DPM stuff. Or I sometimes use my Xuron rail nippers. Both work very well and are a lot safer than box cutters or Exacto knives.

Speaking of Jeffery, I knew him through several (many) forums besides his own. He was a prolific poster. I was communicating with him through one of them, maybe this one, to visit him on the way by on one of our journeys to Gulf Shores. We always pass about 30 miles from his home in Sundown LA, a fictitious name actually, just outside Leesville LA, but he got very ill just before the time we had planned. He passed away shortly after. He stopped returning E-mails about three weeks before our scheduled stopover and I never got exact directions.

7-11 day today, get your free Slurpees. I haven't had one in over fifty years! Otherwise everyone have a great day.

It was thinking of Jeffrey's doing with what he had that made me create my rerail diamond last night. He passed on Dec. 15 2014 at age of 54. He was about a 7 months older than me.

Good morning. Looks like another beautiful day. Started off st 59 degrees with the high forecast in the lower 80's again. Had to turn on teh S/C in the car while in town yesterday. Had lunch with my friend and then we went down to the lanes to see how the shoulder worked. I started off with my regular ball and couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a barn door. Having to throw a lot slower, I was lucky to hit the 7 pin because the ball broke so hard. I didn't have the speed that I normally had so I went to my spare ball half way through the first game which usually went dead straight. Being that I was throwing so slow, it did have a slight break. Only managed an 88 on the first game. After a little adjustment, I pulled out a 167 in the second game. I didn't want to push it so I quit after the second game. I'll have to try to get to town once a week and hopefully be ready for the league to start after Labor Day.

Dave - Interesting photo.

Greg
- Bee one, Greg nothing. Not fun. I have some old Tyco cars I am not using if you want to practice on them. That price at the LHS is crazy. At out train show, we had Blue Box cars with Kadees and metal wheels going for 5 to 8 bucks.

Louis - Nice deal on the range. Sounds like you got a floor model which there is nothing wrong with. My wife and I both really enjoy cooking and we are the opposite and prefer gas. She was so happy when we got her a 5 burner gas range.

Willie - Great photos as usual. Really like the detail work you've been doing. It adds so much interest to the layout.

Sherrel - I wish designers and engineers would have to wok on what they design. What a pain just to air up tires. Enjoy the camping.

Heading to the club this afternoon. It seems to be the only place that I have has time to spend with trains. Still haven't visited my train room.

Here's my photo for today.

20180519_205225.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back